Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That's what you get for putting aftermarket exhausts on BMWs. Tasteful BMW owners (REAL BMW owners) know that you don't put loud pipes on a BMW.

He replaced it with this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's going to die the same way. Rivets through woven material never ends well, what a loving stupid design.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Splizwarf posted:

It's going to die the same way. Rivets through woven material never ends well, what a loving stupid design.
Is that an operator or design gently caress up?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MadScientistWorking posted:

Is that an operator or design gently caress up?

it's the exhaust pressure of that bike hating that design.
I'm sure that was designed for other bikes then ported to this one without much change.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

He replaced it with this:

Japanese too :mad:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I have some friends racing in the One Lap of America, and they posted this to their Facebook this morning.

They said: "Terrible autocross layout leads to a car running off into a barrier."

Not their car, by the way.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's a good latch right there. Wow.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

That's a good latch right there. Wow.

And pretty terrible hinges.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
How the gently caress does that even happen?

Edit: Right, that makes perfect sense. I'm dumb today.

drzrma fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 9, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Looks like the fender behind the wheel hit the barrier which hooked at the joint between the fender and door, and peeled the door back.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Japanese too :mad:

Its probably from California if thats any consolation?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

D C posted:

Its probably from California if thats any consolation?

I can't count how many parts are YOSHI HASHI KURO KATANA MIYAGI BAKA JDM DESIGN that come straight out of the loving valley.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Das Volk posted:

I can't count how many parts are YOSHI HASHI KURO KATANA MIYAGI BAKA JDM DESIGN that come straight out of the loving valley.

Manufactured in Taiwan for a valley/industry company~

Yoshimura has a big setup in socal though, MY GIRLFRIEND used to work for them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
is that carbon fiber muffler a legit racing/track kind of thing or is it more :rice::rice: - which is what it looks like?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

kastein posted:

is that carbon fiber muffler a legit racing/track kind of thing or is it more :rice::rice: - which is what it looks like?
it's usually just a carbon cap with metal underneath it. At least the yoshi pipe I had 10 years or so ago had (it looks the same ad that one).

The only real advantage is a slightly different exhaust note, and a few lbs of weight savings.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
This came out of my buddies Grand Cherokee. He hadn't had the money or time to fix it for a while.

And this happened to my Forester just a couple months after purchase. Previous owner had said the timing belt had just been done, which was true, but their idiot mechanic didn't bother to replace the idler pullies that had over 200k miles on them. Really not sure how it didn't grenade the motor, I was accelerating up a hill in 3rd when it let go. Got really loving lucky I guess. When we pulled the timing cover off, all the ball-bearings were imbedded in the inside of it like buckshot. Some even made it all the way through.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 10, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Das Volk posted:

Yoshimura have been in the USA for 40 years though, slightly different situation.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Tell your buddy with the grand cherokee that if he wants his wheels to stay attached, he should keep an eye on things like that better. Jesus christ.

If that had finished breaking, the ujoint yokes would have rode up on each other within a few revolutions of the wheel, resulting in it separating the balljoints and knocking his steering knuckle, brake hardware, and wheel off the jeep. This is bad enough at rock crawling speeds nevermind on the highway. It is somewhat of a day ruiner.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BoostCreep posted:

They said: "Terrible autocross layout driver leads to a car running off into a barrier."

Fixed that. Ultimately, no matter how bad the layout is, it's up to the driver to control his vehicle, and if a course is unsafe, the time to point it out is during course walk, when it can actually be corrected, not after wrecking your car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BoostCreep posted:

I have some friends racing in the One Lap of America, and they posted this to their Facebook this morning.

They said: "Terrible autocross layout leads to a car running off into a barrier."

Not their car, by the way.

I can't be the only person who looked at that & thought "huh, suicide doors eh? So where's this damage?"

I feel dumb but suicide doors look more practical.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kastein posted:

Same thing as with cars. The sports exhaust might be lighter and (to the owner) pleasantly louder, the justification is to "open 'er up :clint:", addressing some perceived flaw in the factory respiration, probably violation noise and emission restrictions in the process. I haven't done empirical exhaust note vs penis length myself, but I am willing to risk money on no significant correlation.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Yoshimura have been in the USA for 40 years though, slightly different situation.

JDM before JDM was cool :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

I haven't done empirical exhaust note vs penis length myself, but I am willing to risk money on no significant correlation.

Inverse correlation.

In my defense, the previous owner installed the carbon fiber exhaust :v:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The Locator posted:

Fixed that. Ultimately, no matter how bad the layout is, it's up to the driver to control his vehicle, and if a course is unsafe, the time to point it out is during course walk, when it can actually be corrected, not after wrecking your car.
Actually the reverse of that. A course pretty much should be designed for idiots and any accident not caused by a mechanical (and even then) pretty much is on the organizers.
-SCCA Safety Steward

charliecantsurf
Jun 17, 2005

Saw this gem earlier.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nice towel rack & grapefruit cannon

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
I've got a friend running One-Lap as well. He said the autocross course was probably not laid out to SCCA standards (ARMCO too close to a 180 at the end of the track) and the Mustang lost it and caught the end of the guardrail.

Here is some CTS-V he just posted a few minutes ago. Driver is ok, They are at Road America right now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Did he get hit by a tire or something?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Going with he rolled it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Flipped over a wall: http://jalopnik.com/5909629/this-is-what-happens-when-you-roll-a-cadillac-over-a-wall

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

and 9:01 monday morning his insurance company is going to tell him to gently caress off, and he's out 40 grand.

ouch.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
This car was a rolling example of all the things you shouldn't do and yes it was piled with garbage

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Fire hazard wiring ahoy!

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Ohgod, is that a 4 gauge power run through the god drat door frame? :gonk: Well, I guess that'll be cool until the door wears a hole in the wire insulation. Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Black88GTA posted:

Ohgod, is that a 4 gauge power run through the god drat door frame? :gonk: Well, I guess that'll be cool until the door wears a hole in the wire insulation. Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

Well I can't see a fuse anywhere after that, so hopefully there's one in the engine bay. :ohdear:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Is that a home-theatre sub?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

2ndclasscitizen posted:

YES!!! My buddy actually had some sony surround sound speakers inn his integra for a while. As ghetto as it was it actually sounded great.

That car is a rolling fire hazard though.

Ridge_Runner_5
May 26, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I had a similar setup with the 4ga power in my old car, but at least I ran it from the fender through a hole in the frame to the inside of the car. Then ran it down the door sill and into the trunk. ALMOST cut through the insulation with the screws holding the sill on, though.

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

And Romex? Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
You ain't poo poo until your car catches fire 6 times a day