Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Kelley Geuscaulk posted:

Lagunitas has put out a clone challenge for the National Homebrew Conference this year. They gave their recipe out and are challenging homebrewers to put up against the real Hop Stoopid.

Here's the link
http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2012/05/lagunitas-hop-stoopid-clone-recipe/

I was looking through the recipe and I noticed they used hop extract (hopshot) as a 60 minute addition. Anyone use exact before? What's the benefit over hop pellets?

Extract contributes the desired IBU without soaking up too much wort compared to the equivalent amount of hops. I think it's mainly to keep production costs down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kelley Geuscaulk
Jun 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

I think it's mainly to keep production costs down.

Ahh, I was looking at if from a flavor perspective but that makes a lot of sense when your making like 85bbl batches.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Angry Grimace posted:

Anyone got any advice on the best place to get Corny Kegs? I need a couple to get started, but I have no clue if there's some source that's way better than others or whatever. A lot of places seem out of stock too.

Craigslist is a bit of a bust around here since you pretty much have to pounce on an offer within the hour it gets posted. Way too many people like us who want to get a foot in the kegging game. Midwest had a 10% off thing on their 2-keg + CO2 + hoses + regulator combo that I jumped on last week, not sure if it's still active but for all the parts (assuming you need more than just the kegs themselves) I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat it. Also, if they don't hold pressure or are otherwise hosed up, they take returns if it's dysfunctional out of the box.

A friend advised trying some of the local homebrew clubs. You have dudes in those things going fairly quickly from 5 > 15gal kegs and they'd prefer to keep their well-maintained kegs in the hands of people who would do the same, not some rando on CL with $50.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Kelley Geuscaulk posted:

Ahh, I was looking at if from a flavor perspective but that makes a lot of sense when your making like 85bbl batches.

It also gives you just the hop resin flavors without the vegetal flavor of the flowers themselves.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Further down the page it also reads that they used to get all of their bitterness from Simcoe hops prior to 2007 after which it was no longer economical.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

Jo3sh posted:

Any decent yeast will - it's really just a fairly simple collection of sugars. gently caress if I know what it would be called, though - somewhere between mead and pulque, I guess, depending on how much honey is involved. I don't know how the nutrients in agave nectar are - you may want to add some to get a healthy ferment.
A guy at my homebrew club did this by, yeah, treating it like a mead and using nutrient. He trotted this out with a lot of actual meads and he liked to use Wyeast Sweet Mead exclusivley since he says it's designed for mead. It was pretty good, but I can't remember how it tasted beyond that.

He added a pound of honey to it to make it technically a specialty mead for competition, which isn't a lot of help on the naming issue.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

wattershed posted:

Craigslist is a bit of a bust around here since you pretty much have to pounce on an offer within the hour it gets posted. Way too many people like us who want to get a foot in the kegging game. Midwest had a 10% off thing on their 2-keg + CO2 + hoses + regulator combo that I jumped on last week, not sure if it's still active but for all the parts (assuming you need more than just the kegs themselves) I think you'd be hard-pressed to beat it. Also, if they don't hold pressure or are otherwise hosed up, they take returns if it's dysfunctional out of the box.

A friend advised trying some of the local homebrew clubs. You have dudes in those things going fairly quickly from 5 > 15gal kegs and they'd prefer to keep their well-maintained kegs in the hands of people who would do the same, not some rando on CL with $50.
Craigslist around here sucks in general since everything is expensive. I just ended up using MoreBeer. They cost more than other sites but at least they change the gaskets, pressure test/guarantee them, clean them and ship them for free. There didn't seem to be a lot in stock anyways and the shipping at other places always drove the price to be over 50 bucks anyways. I'm not really sure why some of these blokes on HBT or whatever have like 30 of these things...they don't really seem that fragile?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cornys seem drat near indestructible. I think some people just have infinite time and money with which to brew. If I brewed 10+ gallon batches, had a 6 tap kegerator and also always had some imperial stouts or whatever to age for years, I could imagine wanting a ton of kegs. Or if I wanted to make a run at the Ninkasi award and enter like 40 beers into NHC. However none of those is true of me so 3 has been plenty.

They are really great for storage and even as a "secondary", though. Zero oxygen pickup, zero light exposure, and when you want to serve you don't need to rack again, just hook up 2 hoses.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I've produced 3.5 batches so far and I already want to have about 10 of them available. A 4-tap kegerator, backups for that, and a pair of travelers. Except I really should think about 3 travelers, for a light, a dark, and a cider. Hmm, maybe I need 11 or 12?

Yeah, that stockpile could grow really easily. :3:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I realize this could probably go in the beer discussion thread, but I think it has relevance for home brewing as well. I saw this post linked by Matthew Clark of Thornbridge Brewery here in the UK:
http://ghostdrinker.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/is-ipa-still-ipa.html

I'll post it here since it's not long:

Ghost Drinker posted:

Is IPA Still IPA?
I was having a conversation with a friend the other day about IPA. He hadn't really tried many, just a couple for a starting out beer geek, but we still managed to have a good chat on the subject. He asked me what I thought of beers like Green King IPA and others in that sort of range, and while I said that they were kind of IPAs and not IPAs, we didn't really come to much of a conclusion to the conversation - such is the way with beer - It's always open ended. (which, to me, is a good thing)

It did make me think though about the modern day beer world and where IPA fits into it.

When you look at a modern day IPA what do you think of? What would be the most obvious that comes to mind, or which would you consider most traditional, or the best? It's a very tough call to make, look at the (very small) list below:

Goose Island IPA Burton Bridge Empire IPA
Green King IPA Ilkley Lotus IPA
White Shield IPA Copper Dragon Challenger IPA
Williams Joker IPA Thornbridge Jaipur IPA
Brooklyn East IPA Flying Dog Snake Dog IPA

Ten different IPAs. (some may or may not be in your opinion) But not one of them is the same. They all have big differences to them - their own personalities, their own qualities. Some are bottle conditioned, some are not, some are hoppier than others, some are stronger than others but they're still all IPAs. Does IPA still only stand for a beer that's highly hopped, and stronger than usual? I think not.

Things get more confusing around the subject of IPA when you look at all the varying sub-styles and extras that can sometimes go into the style. For instance; Double IPA, Extra IPA, Imperial IPA, Black IPA, Red IPA, Rye IPA, Wet Hopped IPA, Belgian IPA - these are just a few of the ways IPA has been treated over the years, and it's hard to say if it's helped or hindered IPAs style in some people's minds.

Is it any wonder that someone who's just beginning to get into good beer and IPA as a style (like the friend I had the conversation with) might be a little confused about the way us beer geeks see IPA. They might also see IPA as a confusing beer style, and as it's so vast, maybe a little daunting as well.

I'm not trying to call for IPA to be unified here. I'm not going to try and lay down some Reinheitsgebot rules on what IPA must be, and if it differs from the rules then it can't be called as such - that's a very restrictive and damaging view. And we could argue about that set of rules for an age as well. At the end of the day, we already argue about the style enough, and is that really getting us anywhere? Instead of arguing, why aren't we educating?

What I'd love to call for is a bit more of an open mind when it comes to IPA. I'd love to see more of an understanding that in this modern age, it's a very broad style which contains many branches of IPA, but they all stem from the same style tree. You can look at all these new great breweries popping up everywhere, is IPA going to get more restrainable? No, it will become more diverse as more brewers create their own versions of IPA. This shouldn't be seen as a bad thing - it's just the new thing.

There are so many interpretations of IPA and variations on the style these days, how can one description, or individual specimen, be the definitive and end all to the style? It can't, it would be impossible.

After all, it's the brewers who are producing the IPAs. They produce them to their own recipes and interpretations. If they choose to put the label 'IPA' on their beer, they must have a good reason for it. It's their choice, and I don't think it should be for us to tell them otherwise, it's their product.

Is IPA still IPA? I don't really think so. I think it's evolved into a vast and accommodating style of beer. A style of beer which should allow all who want to be included, to be included - and nuts to the odd beer historic fanatic who says otherwise. This isn't the late 1800's anymore, the style has moved on - like a lot of things.

Nothing is static.

Long Live IPA. Next time you want to argue that it's not to style, remember the four words of the bottom of this IPA can:

[image with "PUT IN FACE HOLE" on the bottom of a can]

Living in the UK, the American hoppy IPA is definitely on the rise though nowhere near as ubiquitous as across the pond. Quite frankly, once you've tried a dry-hopped IPA there's little going back. Tasting something like Greene King's "IPA" is a disappointment in my opinion. So I tend to agree with the post. IPA is changing, and it's the Americans who are making it what it is becoming.

I don't mind. I'm going to brew the hoppiest motherfuckers my friends have ever tasted. And then they're not going to go back to bland pub pale ale.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kaiho posted:

I realize this could probably go in the beer discussion thread, but I think it has relevance for home brewing as well. I saw this post linked by Matthew Clark of Thornbridge Brewery here in the UK:
http://ghostdrinker.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/is-ipa-still-ipa.html

I'll post it here since it's not long:

Living in the UK, the American hoppy IPA is definitely on the rise though nowhere near as ubiquitous as across the pond. Quite frankly, once you've tried a dry-hopped IPA there's little going back. Tasting something like Greene King's "IPA" is a disappointment in my opinion. So I tend to agree with the post. IPA is changing, and it's the Americans who are making it what it is becoming.

I don't mind. I'm going to brew the hoppiest motherfuckers my friends have ever tasted. And then they're not going to go back to bland pub pale ale.
There's a reason most macrobrews aren't very tasty: it's because people value smoothness (i.e. "drinkability) over virtually every other characteristic of beer, primarily because they don't actually like beer.

Blistering Sunburn
Aug 2, 2005
Some friends are talking about going tubing on a river this summer, and I think it'd be fun to brew something refreshing to drink along the way. But we're pretty sure they won't allow glass, for safety reasons.

Does anyone have experience using something other than kegs or glass bottles? I know in the UK you can get Strongbow and the like in a 2L plastic bottle, but I've never seen beer in something like that before. Any other suggestions? Any particular tricks or tips?

(I don't know if it matters, but our usual setup is 5 gallon all-grain batches carbed/conditioned in 1L and/or 12oz glass bottles.)

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Blistering Sunburn posted:

Some friends are talking about going tubing on a river this summer, and I think it'd be fun to brew something refreshing to drink along the way. But we're pretty sure they won't allow glass, for safety reasons.

Does anyone have experience using something other than kegs or glass bottles? I know in the UK you can get Strongbow and the like in a 2L plastic bottle, but I've never seen beer in something like that before. Any other suggestions? Any particular tricks or tips?

(I don't know if it matters, but our usual setup is 5 gallon all-grain batches carbed/conditioned in 1L and/or 12oz glass bottles.)

Northern Brewer has these. I've never used them but I can't imagine they wouldn't work.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I've reused 1L Pepsi bottles to send beer to via checked luggage, and it has worked well so far. I'd say either just take a keg with you and tie it to your tube, or bottle off the tap into 1L PET bottles (or whatever size).

Docjowles posted:

Not sure I'd want a ~50lb anchor tied to my tube ;)

If it doesn't float, it just needs more headspace, so get to drinking until it bobs to the surface. And I had pictured in my mind one of the short kegs I use for roadtrips - prob. more like 30 pounds. A cooler of ice and Lite beer weighs just as much.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 9, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Not sure I'd want a ~50lb anchor tied to my tube ;)

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?
Glad this topic came up actually, I've been meaning to myself.

Another of my hobbies is river rafting. Aside from the day trips we usually run on weekends most of the year, we usually have a week long trip where we bring all supplies and enjoy a lengthy float. I'd like to take this to the next level and bring homebrew for the group, especially next year when we'll spend 18 days in the Grand Canyon on the Colorado.

The upside of these trips is you can strap just about anything to the raft, so I'd like to figure out how to bring a few kegs with me. Keeping them cold isn't an issue, the river temperature is in the low 40s so as long as we can use that for cooling it should be fine. My question is that going through rapids and the like is sure to shake up the kegs and I would assume this would make pouring perfect pints difficult when we reach the campsite for the evening.

Anyone have any experience with something similar? If I can't get the keg situation figured out, I'll probably invest in some party pigs to take with us, but it would be pretty sweet to bring several kegs instead.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Blistering Sunburn posted:

The worry with soda bottles (which I bottle into, btw, I use 1 liter bottles that have held bitter lemon, tonic water, etc mixers) is that they are clear. They hold pressure like champs and in PET plastic oxygen transfer is minimal, at least for the time I keep my drinking brews around. But the clear plastic makes them ripe for skunking, especially if you are outside and you have hoppy brews. My brew room is in the basement so gets little to no natural light, and I've been okay so far but only ever intended the PET as a stop gap until I get enough glass or if I have to lug stuff to a festival or whatever.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Trane posted:

<rafting>
Anyone have any experience with something similar?

I've taken kegs in the car for long road trips, and in general the issue is pretty minimal. I've been able to pour reasonably well within a few minutes of stopping. Get some kind of portable CO2 solution like a paintball bottle or the one on homebrewfinds, and you should be ok. You can vent the headspace easily and adjust the pressure as needed. It's not perfect, but it's easily good enough for camping/rafting.

vvvv Good point - I generally let the beer settle and clear in kegs, then jumper it over to fresh kegs for the road trip.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 9, 2012

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Depending on your clarifying steps you may want to take an extra one as your biggest issue will be yeast in suspension.

Or just bring a weizen or saison.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My wife bought me a brooklyn brew shop 1 gallon brew kit and I finally got done with the brewing process and popped open my first bottle tonight. Not too bad, but I'll probably be sticking with letting the professionals do it until I can pay off some debt and save up to get a setup that I actually want.

Anyways, how do I know if the batch I brewed is bad? When I opened the bottle, it seems like a lot of air or something in the bottle, as it popped off a lot louder than any other bottle I've ever opened...though that may be simply because the beer only went to the neck of the bottle and not an inch below the top like I normally see on bottles. It tastes alright...definitely a bit too sweet for me, though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kaiho posted:

The worry with soda bottles (which I bottle into, btw, I use 1 liter bottles that have held bitter lemon, tonic water, etc mixers) is that they are clear. They hold pressure like champs and in PET plastic oxygen transfer is minimal, at least for the time I keep my drinking brews around. But the clear plastic makes them ripe for skunking, especially if you are outside and you have hoppy brews. My brew room is in the basement so gets little to no natural light, and I've been okay so far but only ever intended the PET as a stop gap until I get enough glass or if I have to lug stuff to a festival or whatever.

Well the ones you buy for homebrew are both PET and not clear. No idea if the color really makes a difference in non-glass though.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

nwin posted:

My wife bought me a brooklyn brew shop 1 gallon brew kit and I finally got done with the brewing process and popped open my first bottle tonight. Not too bad, but I'll probably be sticking with letting the professionals do it until I can pay off some debt and save up to get a setup that I actually want.

Anyways, how do I know if the batch I brewed is bad? When I opened the bottle, it seems like a lot of air or something in the bottle, as it popped off a lot louder than any other bottle I've ever opened...though that may be simply because the beer only went to the neck of the bottle and not an inch below the top like I normally see on bottles. It tastes alright...definitely a bit too sweet for me, though.

If it smells like horsy rear end or tastes like piss and vinegar it is infected; if it smells and tastes like beer it is probably not. I don't know what the recipe was but if it wasn't just intentionally too sweet for you, maybe the fermentation stalled out and left some unfermented sugars? That would also explain why the bottle really popped when you opened it - the fermentation might have been still creeping along and built up more pressure in the bottle than originally intended.

Or maybe not, it just sounds vaguely reminiscent of my adventures with ham-flavored barleywine grenades last year :smith:

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Getting caught up with the thread after being away...

mrwrong posted:

I have a batch of the brewer's best summer ale bubbling away in my primary and my wife made the suggestion of adding some cardamom when I transfer it to the secondary. Has anyone done this before? I am not sure how much to add or if it should be the whole pods or the seeds. I'm thinking of just chucking some whole pods in a mesh bag and adding that to the secondary. Will that work or should i go with seeds instead of the whole pods?

My inlaws are Indian and i was thinking of Trying to come up with an Indian spiced ale for my next beer, so if anyone has a recipe they could pass along I would appreciate it. I've done a few kit beers and would like to branch out and start to buy everything individually.

I made a Wit late last summer that was just 50/50 wheat/malt. I stuck in the traditional coriander, but then added some Star Anise, whole cardamom pods, fresh lemon grass, and fresh basil. I'm guessing that it was around half an ounce each for 10 gallons. Measuring the fresh stuff was "hey, these two stems I cut off just now look like enough". That beer smelled simply amazing. I wish I'd bottled some for the spring competition season. I added everything at the end of the boil for five minutes. I'll make it again this year, but I'll likely leave out the coriander all together. I don't have my notes handy but I probably bittered with a bit of cluster and had a saaz late addition. Next time I don't think I'd bother with late additions at all with all those other flavors working in there.

Trane posted:

Anyone have any experience with something similar? If I can't get the keg situation figured out, I'll probably invest in some party pigs to take with us, but it would be pretty sweet to bring several kegs instead.

I take a keg on the back platform hitch to my football tailgates every home game in the fall. All we do is vent the keg and then repressurize with 16g CO2 carts and we're good.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bass Concert Hall posted:

If it smells like horsy rear end or tastes like piss and vinegar it is infected; if it smells and tastes like beer it is probably not. I don't know what the recipe was but if it wasn't just intentionally too sweet for you, maybe the fermentation stalled out and left some unfermented sugars? That would also explain why the bottle really popped when you opened it - the fermentation might have been still creeping along and built up more pressure in the bottle than originally intended.

Or maybe not, it just sounds vaguely reminiscent of my adventures with ham-flavored barleywine grenades last year :smith:

It smells/tastes like beer. It was their every day IPA. I have a little bit of hops coming through but not much...definitely not like other IPA's I've had. One thing I noticed is that after the boil and I put it in the carboy and pitched the yeast, I waited for about 3 days and never saw it bubble. Maybe bad yeast? After the 3 days, I took the airline off of it (that was submerged in a bowl of sanitized water), and replaced the airline with the airlock cap at the top and let it sit in my pantry for 2 weeks. After that I added 3 tbs of beer to the mix and bottled it, then stuck it back in the pantry for 2 weeks.

Not sure why it's sweet...maybe too much honey? I remember when I was bottling it, it already seemed a bit sweet to me.

Ah well, maybe home brewing just isn't for me right now...the rate of return to where it's cheaper to brew than buy some Sierra Nevada or something just isn't tangible right now, I think...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Would something like:
3.15# Wheat Malt Syrup
3# two-row
2# white wheat malt
1# flaked wheat
Hallertau hops

Make a decent wheat beer? Looking for a pretty simple base to turn into some kind of shandy for my gf.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
To be quite honest, most of us aren't brewing cause it's cheaper. A lot of us have a "house batch" that we like and can brew 5 gallons of for $20, but like any hobby, a lot of us enjoy the design process or the actual brew day activities.

What yeast did you use? I'm sure you fermented if the bottles made a popping noise when you opened them, that means at least some of the sugar is being converted.

Also, since you bought a kit it's entirely possible that the yeast in the kit is old and most of the yeast was dead which can cause long lag times as the yeast gets it's population up. Actually, I have two of those 1 gallon Brooklyn brew shop kits on my shelf and I know they just put the yeast and hops in a little foil package in the brew bag, which isn't the best idea since you can't really pull out the yeast and hops to refrigerate them, and I don't think they get stored in refrigerated areas.

As for the hops, the instructions for the brew on Brooklyn Brew Shop's webpage doesn't give you actual volumes, just when you should add fractions of the package. Looking at their schedule, I'd suggest a few changes, the first, is moving most of the cascade additions to further along in the boil. The Columbus addition and the first two cascade additions are really gonna contribute more to bitterness then to aroma and flavor, so if you double the 15 minute and the 5 minute addition you'll get more hop flavor. The second change I would add is to take the zero minute addition and throw that in the fermenter once the primary fermentation dies down so that you have at least some measure of dry hopping and the aromas don't all get blown out of the beer by the yeast.

The last thing is, some types of yeast are real powerhouses, I don't think this is the case since you probably had pretty unhealthy yeast, but I've pitched yeast before going to bed and woken up to a completed fermentation, had I not taken a gravity reading, I'd have been none-the-wiser as to whether or not it fermented.

Try letting your bottles sit for another week, then give them a taste and see how it's changed. If it appears to be getting less sweet then you're on the right track and maybe your yeast is just chugging along slowly (Don't keep your bottles cold, you need your yeast to be happy and active in this stage).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Daedalus Esquire posted:

To be quite honest, most of us aren't brewing cause it's cheaper. A lot of us have a "house batch" that we like and can brew 5 gallons of for $20, but like any hobby, a lot of us enjoy the design process or the actual brew day activities.

What yeast did you use? I'm sure you fermented if the bottles made a popping noise when you opened them, that means at least some of the sugar is being converted.

Also, since you bought a kit it's entirely possible that the yeast in the kit is old and most of the yeast was dead which can cause long lag times as the yeast gets it's population up. Actually, I have two of those 1 gallon Brooklyn brew shop kits on my shelf and I know they just put the yeast and hops in a little foil package in the brew bag, which isn't the best idea since you can't really pull out the yeast and hops to refrigerate them, and I don't think they get stored in refrigerated areas.

As for the hops, the instructions for the brew on Brooklyn Brew Shop's webpage doesn't give you actual volumes, just when you should add fractions of the package. Looking at their schedule, I'd suggest a few changes, the first, is moving most of the cascade additions to further along in the boil. The Columbus addition and the first two cascade additions are really gonna contribute more to bitterness then to aroma and flavor, so if you double the 15 minute and the 5 minute addition you'll get more hop flavor. The second change I would add is to take the zero minute addition and throw that in the fermenter once the primary fermentation dies down so that you have at least some measure of dry hopping and the aromas don't all get blown out of the beer by the yeast.

The last thing is, some types of yeast are real powerhouses, I don't think this is the case since you probably had pretty unhealthy yeast, but I've pitched yeast before going to bed and woken up to a completed fermentation, had I not taken a gravity reading, I'd have been none-the-wiser as to whether or not it fermented.

Try letting your bottles sit for another week, then give them a taste and see how it's changed. If it appears to be getting less sweet then you're on the right track and maybe your yeast is just chugging along slowly (Don't keep your bottles cold, you need your yeast to be happy and active in this stage).

The yeast was just in a packet. The expiration date said 2013 iirc, but like you said, that stuff has been sitting on the shelf for who knows how long...I got the kit about 2 months ago and threw the hops and grain in the freezer, but I'm sure the damage had already been done sitting on the shelf forever.

I'll take your advice and take the beer out of the fridge and let it hang out for another week. Stupid question time: Is there any chance of this beer getting overcarbonated and blowing up the bottles while it's hanging out in the pantry? I'd rather not come home one day to a huge sticky mess to clean up...

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
It's possible. It really depends on how much of that sweetness is fermentable sugar. Without gravity readings I can't really predict it, but try putting them in a box lined with towels if you are worried about it.

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
... Or just put them in a box lined with a garbage bag.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Or a cooler with the lid shut.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up

ChiTownEddie posted:

Would something like:
3.15# Wheat Malt Syrup
3# two-row
2# white wheat malt
1# flaked wheat
Hallertau hops

Make a decent wheat beer? Looking for a pretty simple base to turn into some kind of shandy for my gf.
That looks great to me. American ale or German wheat yeast, depending on what you're looking for. The former would be good for something like Leinenkugel Summer Shandy (they use lager yeast, actually, but I never saw the point, then add lemon extract) and the latter you can use for German Russ (what they call half wheat beer, half lemon soda). Or whatever the hell you want, lots of Shandy options out there.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

BerkerkLurk posted:

That looks great to me. American ale or German wheat yeast, depending on what you're looking for. The former would be good for something like Leinenkugel Summer Shandy (they use lager yeast, actually, but I never saw the point, then add lemon extract) and the latter you can use for German Russ (what they call half wheat beer, half lemon soda). Or whatever the hell you want, lots of Shandy options out there.

Also try adding some grated lemon peel to your priming solution when you boil it before bottling. That assumes you're bottling, of course.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

crazyfish posted:

Also try adding some grated lemon peel to your priming solution when you boil it before bottling. That assumes you're bottling, of course.

...be careful with grated lemon peel. A teaspoon, even, goes a LONG loving WAY. My lemony saison is an rear end-kicker and a little underdimensional due to the overwhelming blast of lemon, and I barely used two teaspoons in a 5-gallon batch.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I see what you're saying, but don't discount the cost factor. I figure I saved around $1500 last year based on average batch price and a assumption of $8 six packs. (I brewed 15 ten gallon batches) Sure I've spent a bit on equipment over the last decade, and sure my time is worth something, but I could of paid myself $16 an hour and come out ahead.

But yea, brewtime is play time for me. :)

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

I agree, saving money on beer is not really a driver for my brewing - far more effective just to stop drinking - but I have to say I save money on it too. I brew 10 gallons of ordinary house beer for $25 or so, and big beers are around $40. Even at warehouse store case prices, I am getting a whole batch for the cost of 1 to 2 cases of decent beer.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I'm buying equipment tonight. Tell me about the Northern Brewer 10-gallon mash tun kit and what you like and don't like about it. Also, what are you guys using for sparging? How much force should I try to have? Will something as simple as a wide-headed watering can (with the right temp water in it of course) be effective?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Jo3sh posted:

I agree, saving money on beer is not really a driver for my brewing - far more effective just to stop drinking - but I have to say I save money on it too. I brew 10 gallons of ordinary house beer for $25 or so, and big beers are around $40. Even at warehouse store case prices, I am getting a whole batch for the cost of 1 to 2 cases of decent beer.

Are you factoring in equipment costs, though? I have a pretty modest setup and I would estimate I've spent about $1500 at least on equipment that is either dedicated to brewing (grain mills, mash tun, etc) or equipment that is multipurpose that I explicitly bought just for homebrewing (thermapen, electric drill, etc).

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Sure... maybe I have about the same amount of gear you have. Or maybe more, I don't know what your rig is like and I have no idea what all my crap adds up to. But I've also been brewing for about 19 years now. Call it $100/year? That's like $8/batch, so even if you add that in, my house beer goes from $25 to $33 for ten gallons.

... and that assumes that the rig has depreciated in value to zero by this time, which is probably true from any kind of rational accounting perspective, but also means that I can stop counting previous expenditures in future batches.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 9, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

I'm buying equipment tonight. Tell me about the Northern Brewer 10-gallon mash tun kit and what you like and don't like about it. Also, what are you guys using for sparging? How much force should I try to have? Will something as simple as a wide-headed watering can (with the right temp water in it of course) be effective?

Don't buy it. The coolers are priced roughly double or more what those coolers cost at Home Depot. Just buy the cooler conversion kits from a brewing shop (NB does have them, as do others, about 30 bucks a piece, and cheaper if you piece together the stuff from the hardware store) and buy the coolers themselves at your local hardware store/home depot. It's not like the NB Mash-tun kits are preassembled anyways. They just send you coolers and a conversion kit.

Maybe even think about batch sparging if you want to go cheaper.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I think a massive part of it is the satisfaction. This is a hobby, much like any other. The money you spend on it just happens to produce a tangible (quaffable) product but hell, there's people spending money dressing up as cartoon characters in public. So your mileage may vary.

I personally enjoy the crafting and social aspects. It's a pretty neat feeling pouring something you've made for a friend to have a taste and maybe even a buzz from. I get people may brew because of cost, given local taxation issues or whatever. I can't say I am anywhere in the black with this, having brewed what, 6 batches so far. But it is a hobby I've gotten into more than anything else in a while. Hell, most of my time procrastinating the past few terms have been reading either these threads or stuff like them. Various crap about the art of brewing :)

It also makes me appreciate (or understand/critique) the beer I get commercially or in a pub much more thoroughly. I like being able to go not just "ooh, that's roasty and liquoricey" at a really robust porter, but also "that must be some serious amounts of brown and chocolate malts they've used to get it this thick".

I even got two tiny little hop seedlings and am cultivating them in my garden in the vague (most likely vain) hope of getting just that bit closer to actually having made/nurtured something that will give me a buzz both taste and alcohol wise.

Overall I've spent probably around £100 on equipment and another £200 on brewing ingredients or kits. The latest order that came today is a big chunk of that but will get me 5 whole batches.

For 4 months' worth of time that's a significant outlay, but the fixed costs of fermenters etc will only decrease relative to total costs and quite frankly I most likely would have bought beer with at least part of that money anyway.