Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Anyone in the KW area use Distributel? I'm thinking of going with them but so far their first impression is a bad one. I filled out the online web for asking some sales questions and only put my email address. 32 hours later I get an email saying they've been unable to contact me and to call their 800 number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
I recently switched to Start since they're the first TPIA in Cogecoland and things have been going pretty well. Cogeco sends tech to run cable and leave, pick up modem from post office, plug in, have internet. Next day they call to check if everything is ok. Getting speeds I'm paying for and the price isn't bad.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

Just got this email from Teksavvy:

Before I was on the TekSavvy Pro plan, which was $37/mo, 25/2.5, 300GB/mo, which I was really happy with. I guess now I'm going to have to go to the Unlimited 25 plan, for $13/mo more. Lame.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Anyone have any problems with Novus? I haven't been able to find anything negative on them through google or what's left of broadband reports. I'm moving to a building that has their service as an option and it seems pretty awesome in comparison to what I get right now from Rogers.
http://www.novusnow.ca/services/internet.php

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Evis posted:

Anyone have any problems with Novus? I haven't been able to find anything negative on them through google or what's left of broadband reports. I'm moving to a building that has their service as an option and it seems pretty awesome in comparison to what I get right now from Rogers.
http://www.novusnow.ca/services/internet.php

Yeah if you're one of the few people who can get Novus service, take it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Would agree; if you're in one of the scrapers that they've pulled fibre to the basement for it's probably as easy/good as you'll get for consumer in Canada.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

So bell managed to gently caress something up with my parents service.

They're with teksavvy, on the 6/800 plan. I'm home visiting, and notice speeds are poo poo. Speedtest? 1/400 at best. Check the modem... somehow, the line is set at 1184kbps down, 640kbps up. It definitely used to be set correctly...

Called teksavvy, and they're submitting a ticket to bell. Apparently teksavvy can't even map the service correctly right now for some reason. Other line stats:

Available: ~10000kbps down / 1184 up (don't remember the exact down, just that it was 10mbit)
SNR: 14.4 down / 21 up
Attenuation: 9 down / 3 up.

All of which point to the 6mb service being fine. Oh, and if bell determines the problem isn't with their lines, they're going to charge us $87.50! Oh bell... :allears:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I've had intermittent connection issues over the past few weeks with my connection (Teksavvy). Every now and then the connection will completely flake out. Because I've had 3 Bell tech's come in and find problems with their service, I automatically assumed that it would be them again. I call Teksavvy, they see the line is dropping (sync issue), but asked that I test with a second modem.

It's a weird request, but it's something I'm going to try next time I see my connection go bonkers. I haven't had too many problems since that call, but I still feel that Bell hosed something up.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
There was an intermittent issue with the connection at my parents place about 18 months ago as well, and it did actually turn out to be the modem. They had a Speedtouch Pro that served them well for many years, but when we replaced it with a new ST516 the service came back to life instantly.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
My SpeedTouch 516 was actually overheating pretty regularly where it was set up. Since I bought the device, I dremeled out a port on the top, installed a low-profile GPU fan (from the Radeon 9800 Pro days), and ran a wire out to the computer it was plugged into (basically my pfSense gateway). I wasn't really willing to learn where the fan can draw power from the modem safely to make it an all-in-one thing.

From thereon I had no issues... just FYI on the 516s, even in reasonable room temperatures.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Anyone know anything about distributel? Just recently found out they service BC but their prices seem to be on par with Shaw.

I might consider switching my Internet over to teksavvy if the price is right.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Distributel seems to have poo poo customer service. When I even inquired about opening a n account they wouldn't talk to me.

I filled out the Sales "contact us" for online but only put in 555-5555 as my phone number but I did put in my email address.

36 hours later I got an email saying that they had been trying to get in touch with me but couldn't and to call their 800 number. I replied, telling that I prefer email contact and again asked them about service in my area.

Never heard back.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I lump Distributel into the "Acanac" tier of support. (read: poo poo)

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

quaint bucket posted:

Anyone know anything about distributel? Just recently found out they service BC but their prices seem to be on par with Shaw.

I might consider switching my Internet over to teksavvy if the price is right.

Their speeds prices are the same as tekksavvys for the most part and yes they do resell the shaw connections but their customer service is worse then tekksavvys which is already not great.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Telus: Competition? Heh, nice joke...
Shaw, Bell, and Rogers: (laughing hysterically)

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
That's kinda odd because when you try to sign up with Distributel, their customer service is great, unlike even Acanac where it seems like a chore to sign up. That's disappointing.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Just switched over from Videotron 60meg/150GB service to Electronic Box 30meg/500GB service here in Montreal - the loss of speed doesn't matter much but the new cap is like I've been freed from the chains of constantly watching my usage and yelling at the woman to stop downloading so much Top Model. Sign-up was easy, the guys were nice, took only 4 days, and they handled the cancellation of the Videotron service for me. I have no idea how support will be but I really can't see myself using it that much. Also monthly cost going from $82+$12/mo (extra bandwidth) to $59/mo is a bit of a bonus. /shill

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Just wanting to update our status with Acanac - it took about 4 weeks to fully implement the switch from Rogers to Acanac, and it was pretty apparent that the left hand of Acanac didn't always know what the right hand was doing - IE: being told we didn't need a tech to visit since we were switching, and yet despite me saying we didn't need one, another Acanac representative insisted a technician come and "Connect" our service.

The phone number switching was pretty quick though - less than the 2 weeks they suggested. The speeds are pretty nice now, and the price can't be beat...

But yes, the tech support was just dismal. Even their subnet masks needed to configure your ATA modem to their network was incorrect - only got the correct ones by browsing through a seperate forum.

... but it works now, so no complaints. I guess if you **know** what you are doing and don't have any line issues, they are a good alternative.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I used Acanac for DSL last year. When my service went completely out, I was told to open a support ticket online or by email. I wasn't able to address the problem by phone. Part of their troubleshooting advice included getting another, separate modem and connecting it to the service to test if it was my equipment or my circuit.

After two weeks of playing ticket tag from work and the local coffee shop, I demanded a refund for my unused service and switched to Teksavvy.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not sure how widespread this is, but Teksavvy's network routing in at least Montreal seems to have hosed the dog; most websites work but a few don't, including SA and Battle.net. At least it wasn't a week from now.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

univbee posted:

Not sure how widespread this is, but Teksavvy's network routing in at least Montreal seems to have hosed the dog; most websites work but a few don't, including SA and Battle.net. At least it wasn't a week from now.

Yeah, imgur is inaccessible too which makes reddit pretty useless. I can say that my parents DSL connection in Montreal and my cable connection in Kitchener are both affected.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

univbee posted:

As, so that's why SA wouldn't load for me at home. Also ping randomly goes up to 400. I wonder if those are related.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

And I was just about to contact Teksavvy about getting cable service in the KW/Cambrige area.

Or are they still on stop sell?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

EngineerJoe posted:

Yeah, imgur is inaccessible too which makes reddit pretty useless. I can say that my parents DSL connection in Montreal and my cable connection in Kitchener are both affected.

Turn down your MTU to something lower than 1500, like 1450, for some weird rear end reason when I was in Toronto area after i turned my MTU down imgur started working just fine.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

univbee posted:

This was happening to me yesterday. Restarting my modem and router seems to have fixed it though. Any ideas as to why it only affected certain sites?

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Bonzo posted:

And I was just about to contact Teksavvy about getting cable service in the KW/Cambrige area.

Or are they still on stop sell?

There is still a stop sell for KW.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

There is still a stop sell for KW.

Well poo poo.

Anyway, Gabe just tweeted that Peer1 had a routing issue in TO and it should be fine now.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
peer1.bdr02.tor.packetflow.ca was where the packets would stop for me yesterday and at the start of today when doing a traceroute to SA.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Perhaps it's been a while for me, but I seem to remember, back in Montreal when we were using a PPPOE connection that our Max MTU had to be 1492, otherwise if it was set at 1500 there were sites that wouldn't load. In Toronto, our DSL provider required our Max MTU to be set at 1452... Don't ask why I remember that, it was over 10 years ago...

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

mik posted:

Just switched over from Videotron 60meg/150GB service to Electronic Box 30meg/500GB service here in Montreal - the loss of speed doesn't matter much but the new cap is like I've been freed from the chains of constantly watching my usage and yelling at the woman to stop downloading so much Top Model. Sign-up was easy, the guys were nice, took only 4 days, and they handled the cancellation of the Videotron service for me. I have no idea how support will be but I really can't see myself using it that much. Also monthly cost going from $82+$12/mo (extra bandwidth) to $59/mo is a bit of a bonus. /shill

I might do that, earlier this year I tried to switch with Distributel but never sent a tech to unplug the modem. I am with Videotron so modem are lock with a ring and mine was really tight. The guy at Distributel says to remove it with a butter knife. 24 hour later I went to their office in person a give them back their equipment.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Bleusilences posted:

I might do that, earlier this year I tried to switch with Distributel but never sent a tech to unplug the modem. I am with Videotron so modem are lock with a ring and mine was really tight. The guy at Distributel says to remove it with a butter knife. 24 hour later I went to their office in person a give them back their equipment.

Ah I didn't have one of those crazy locked modems (maybe because I only had internet service with them). I went to Electronic Box's office by the Longeuil metro to pick up a new modem, to avoid the $15 shipping cost. I still have the Videotron one in a box here, I guess they'll probably start bugging me to return it soon.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
What do I have to do to be able to watch UK-based internet streaming videos, either from youtube or a site like BBC or Channel 4?

vvvvvvv Thanks, dude!

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 12, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Dudebro posted:

What do I have to do to be able to watch UK-based internet streaming videos, either from youtube or a site like BBC or Channel 4?

http://www.unblock-us.com

PMV
Aug 13, 2007
After dealing with Bell's DSL with the usual horror stories (slow spotty service and horrible CS), I let my contract expire and decided to try out Nexicom cable.

They offered an unlimited bandwidth cap and the same speeds I had with Bell at half the price. Due to my location (Lakefield), I don't have the greatest of speeds:

but they do offer up to 25mbit connections in some areas.

It's been a few months and haven't run across any connection issues and speed has been very consistent. Very pleased with this service although I do wonder how much longer they'll be able to offer an unlimited data cap at this day and age.

So far, I definitely do recommend this service if you're the Central Ontario region.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
Recently moved my parents from Teksavvy DSL to Teksavvy cable for the greater downstream (they stream a lot of TV). Went back this weekend and apparently the default DNS server used by Rogers redirects google.com to Rogers' own portal. WTF?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Bonzo posted:

Well poo poo.

Anyway, Gabe just tweeted that Peer1 had a routing issue in TO and it should be fine now.

This sucks - you'd figure some space would get freed up once most students hosed off for the summer.

After being back on Rogers for two months, I'm not sure I can stick with them. I regularly blow through their 70GB service with a combination of Netflix, Torrents, and VPN, so I upgraded to 120GB service. Guess I wait and see if I can soak up that much transfer (likely). I should just look for an apartment that's right next to the Bell C/O and get back on local DSL.

krooj fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 14, 2012

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

krooj posted:

After being back on Rogers for two months, I'm not sure I can stick with them. I regularly blow through their 70GB service with a combination of Netflix, Torrents, and VPN, so I upgraded to 120GB service. Guess I wait and see if I can soak up that much transfer (likely). I should just look for an apartment that's right next to the Bell C/O and get back on local DSL.

If you're happy with Rogers' service but not the cap, why not switch to a reseller like Teksavvy or Distributel? You'll get a 200-300GB cap for cheaper.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

spoof posted:

If you're happy with Rogers' service but not the cap, why not switch to a reseller like Teksavvy or Distributel? You'll get a 200-300GB cap for cheaper.

Teksavvy is a no sell in Kitchener/Waterloo and Distributel is sketch.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Speaking of Rogers.

I just moved into a condo building with its own postal code that is apparently missing from the Rogers database. Despite the fact that Rogers cabling and a Rogers inspection sticker is in MY FRONT CLOSET, dated from November, the company is insisting that they don't offer service at this location and never have.

Putting the code into their website generates an error, and I can't tell if they're broken or if that's just what they show people who can't get their service. Naturally Teksavvy is a bit useless at figuring this out, so while I'd love to just move our service over, the whole thing is problematic.

I'm getting pretty damned annoyed.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Escalate that poo poo if you're dealing with them on the phone.