Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Look like Sukhoi's first commercial bird isn't going too well, it went missing during a demo flight with 50 people on board:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120509/D9UL7N6G2.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Phanatic posted:

Look like Sukhoi's first commercial bird isn't going too well, it went missing during a demo flight with 50 people on board:

:stare:

Welp... grats to Airbus and Boeing I guess.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
44 on board for a demonstration flight, Indonesia has dispatched 200 police and military personell to search for the plane. ~2 hours south of jakarta.

Edit: It's midnight there right now, so nothing till the morning probably.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:stare:

Welp... grats to Airbus and Boeing I guess.

The A330 had a test flight accident (I know this wasn't a test flight) and didn't hurt the program at all. Considering they (most likely) hit a mountain, i'd presume it wouldn't kill off any interest in the airplane. Besides, their competitors in this segment are Embraer and Bombardier. :ssh:

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
What's the opposite of Aeronautical Insanity, Aeronautical Mundane? I'm posting some pictures of my work, an airliner production facility. Apologies for the quality, I took these from public property with an iPhone.

This is about a third of the Airbus facility in Toulouse. The terminals in the the center form the Aircraft Delivery Center, which delivers all A320s built in Toulouse, all A330s, and A380s for China Southern, Korean Air, Qantas, and Singapore airlines. Presumably Malaysia and Thai Airways will take their deliveries from here later this year. The hanger on the very right is cut off, but is large enough to hold two A380s along with a couple A330s or several A320s. Quite large. The buildings in the center-right with the blue girders are the A330 Final Assembly Line, where lots of pieces become an airplane. I suppose is it rather insane that it all ends up at 41,000 ft eventually. Airbus would love to buy the guy's house shown here, as they have to curve the road around the property, but he ain't selling.

Closer shot of the ADC's northern end. The Alitalia A330 is my latest delivery, which should be heading to Rome tomorrow. Arrivederci! My sympathies to whomever is about to have his knees squeezed into the Spirit Airlines A320 for its delivery flight across the Atlantic.

A new arrival to the ADC, possibly an A318 replacement? This Concorde normally stands watch over the A330 FAL, but has been temporarily moved while Airbus plops down building after building in preparation for A350XWB production. It's hard to see in the picture, but its wings and most of the fuselage are covered in grime and mold. It's really in sad shape, but is supposed to get cleaned up during its vacation. For the curious, this is F-WTSB, Concorde 201. It was a production spec development aircraft which never flew in service. On the right side of the picture, you can make out the blob of a Beluga transporter.

A Virgin Atlantic A330 coming back from a production test flight. Obviously this aircraft still needs a trip through the paint hanger. The A380 Final Assembly Line is the group of buildings in the background. On the right, you can see three (blurry) A380 tails. The solid blue tail (left-most of the three) belongs to MSN 002. This is the aircraft that was discussed several pages back, which will end up as a VIP aircraft for Kingdom Holding Company. Officially, Airbus will only say this aircraft is for a private, unidentified customer.

Same A330 touching down in front of the circular engine run stand for the A380s. They put this contraption in so the shoppers at the mall to the right wouldn't get annoyed with screaming jet engines, running for hours on end. The buildings on the left with the sloped roofs are Air France's maintenance facility. Taxiing towards us is a British Airways A319. Airbus' facilities are located opposite Aéroport de Toulouse - Blagnac. Flying out of here for leisure is pretty good at the moment as Air France and easyJet are in the middle of a destination and pricing skirmish. Thanks for the cheap weekend fares!

Finally, here's an overview of the A380 production facility. Moving from left to right, the blue buildings are the A380 FAL, then the A380 production flight line, (very) large hangers for general production use and weighing aircraft, Air France maintenance (not part of Airbus), and the engine run area. All A380s start life in Toulouse for structure joining. From there the sequence can vary, but generally after a couple flights, they end up in Hamburg where they are painted, and the interiors and production engines are installed. They are delivered from both Hamburg and Toulouse, split up by customer.

Unfortunately, the A320 production facilities can't easily be viewed from public property. If you just imagine smaller buildings with smaller airplanes that are built faster, you're pretty close to the mark. Toulouse only builds A320s, while Hamburg builds them all (A318/319/320/321). Tianjin also puts out about one A320 a month for Chinese carriers.

Hope you enjoyed the tour.

Understeer fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 10, 2012

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Understeer posted:

What's the opposite of Aeronautical Insanity, Aeronautical Mundane? I'm posting some pictures of my work, an airliner production facility. Apologies for the quality, I took these from public property with an iPhone.

This is about a third of the Airbus facility in Toulouse. The terminals in the the center form the Aircraft Delivery Center, which delivers all A320s built in Toulouse, all A330s, and A380s for China Southern, Korean Air, Qantas, and Singapore airlines. Presumably Malaysia and Thai Airways will take their deliveries from here later this year. The hanger on the very right is cut off, but is large enough to hold two A380s along with a couple A330s or several A320s. Quite large. The buildings in the center-right with the blue girders are the A330 Final Assembly Line, where lots of pieces become an airplane. I suppose is it rather insane that it all ends up at 41,000 ft eventually. Airbus would love to buy the guy's house shown here, as they have to curve the road around the property, but he ain't selling.

Closer shot of the ADC's northern end. The Alitalia A330 is my latest delivery, which should be heading to Rome tomorrow. Arrivederci! My sympathies to whomever is about to have his knees squeezed into the Spirit Airlines A320 for its delivery flight across the Atlantic.

A new arrival to the ADC, possibly an A318 replacement? This Concorde normally stands watch over the A330 FAL, but has been temporarily moved while Airbus plops down building after building in preparation for A350XWB production. It's hard to see in the picture, but its wings and most of the fuselage are covered in grime and mold. It's really in sad shape, but is supposed to get cleaned up during its vacation. For the curious, this is F-WTSB, Concorde 201. It was a production spec development aircraft which never flew in service. On the right side of the picture, you can make out the blob of a Beluga transporter.

A Virgin Atlantic A330 coming back from a production test flight. Obviously this aircraft still needs a trip through the paint hanger. The A380 Final Assembly Line is the group of buildings in the background. On the right, you can see three (blurry) A380 tails. The solid blue tail (left-most of the three) belongs to MSN 002. This is the aircraft that was discussed several pages back, which will end up as a VIP aircraft for Kingdom Holding Company. Officially, Airbus will only say this aircraft is for a private, unidentified customer.

Same A330 touching down in front of the circular engine run stand for the A380s. They put this contraption in so the shoppers at the mall to the right wouldn't get annoyed with screaming jet engines, running for hours on end. The buildings on the left with the sloped roofs are Air France's maintenance facility. Taxiing towards us is a British Airways A319. Airbus' facilities are located opposite Aéroport de Toulouse - Blagnac. Flying out of here for leisure is pretty good at the moment as Air France and easyJet are in the middle of a destination and pricing skirmish. Thanks for the cheap weekend fares!

Finally, here's an overview of the A380 production facility. Moving from left to right, the blue buildings are the A380 FAL, then the A380 production flight line, (very) large hangers for general production use and weighing aircraft, Air France maintenance (not part of Airbus), and the engine run area. All A380s start life in Toulouse for structure joining. From there the sequence can very, but generally after a couple flights, they end up in Hamburg where they are painted, and the interiors and production engines are installed. They are delivered from both Hamburg and Toulouse, split up by customer.

Unfortunately, the A320 production facilities can't easily be viewed from public property. If you just imagine smaller buildings with smaller airplanes that are built faster, you're pretty close to the mark. Toulouse only builds A320s, while Hamburg builds them all (A318/319/320/321). Tianjin also puts out about one A320 a month for Chinese carriers.

That's awesome, I'd like to check out Airbus's facilities one of these days. Part of me still wants to see about getting a job there. Tech rep/after sales support probably, or possibly company maintenance team, but I never see those positions advertised. What area do you work in there?

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

I don't work for Airbus, just at Airbus; I'm a field service engineer for one of the engine manufacturers. Technically the engines are Airbus property and responsibility once they are delivered to the FAL, but we have a team here to ensure there are no issues from installation through customer fly-away.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Phanatic posted:

I'm just going to wildly speculate here, but I doubt it's the fault of the aircraft. Indonesia's airlines have one of the worst collective safety records in the world. They're so bad, in fact, that they're the only country to have been uniformly banned from flying to both the US and to the EU.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MrChips posted:

I'm just going to wildly speculate here, but I doubt it's the fault of the aircraft. Indonesia's airlines have one of the worst collective safety records in the world. They're so bad, in fact, that they're the only country to have been uniformly banned from flying to both the US and to the EU.

Where in the article does it say anything about the plane being operated by an Indonesian airline? It was a brand new plane on a demonstration tour of several asian countries to increase interest in potential buyers. Pretty sure this is a case of pilot error, unless something comes out in the investigation. They descended into a mountain.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrChips posted:

I don't think it was being operated by an Indonesian carrier, but I could be wrong about that:

quote:

It was on the fourth stop of a six-nation "Welcome Asia!" road show after having already been to Myanmar, Pakistan and Kazakhstan. It was supposed to head next to Laos and Vietnam.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Phanatic posted:

I don't think it was being operated by an Indonesian carrier, but I could be wrong about that:

I did some more reading, and in fact, you're right - it was one of the pre-production aircraft, with a Russian crew. While it is still true that Indonesia has an absymal safety record as a whole, I would say now that it is at most casual to this incident.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Terrible Robot posted:

Where in the article does it say anything about the plane being operated by an Indonesian airline? It was a brand new plane on a demonstration tour of several asian countries to increase interest in potential buyers. Pretty sure this is a case of pilot error, unless something comes out in the investigation. They descended into a mountain.

If they requested a descent I'm voting pressurization problems as the starting factor.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Welp, looks like the UK is going back to ordering F-35Bs rather than F-35Cs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18008171

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Understeer posted:

What's the opposite of Aeronautical Insanity, Aeronautical Mundane? I'm posting some pictures of my work, an airliner production facility.

That was really cool info, thanks man. I work for the big B at the 737 factory. It's interesting to see how similar but different things are. I'm involved mostly in weight engineering stuff (balancing control surfaced, weighing, weight and balance for production flights). Do you know where in the process they usually weigh the planes? We typically do so just after they're painted in the paint hanger which gets interesting sometimes. I've ruined, I mean customized lots of my clothes with wet aircraft paint.

I see CFM reps driving around frequently so I imagine they do something similar to you.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ack! posted:

That was really cool info, thanks man. I work for the big B at the 737 factory. It's interesting to see how similar but different things are. I'm involved mostly in weight engineering stuff (balancing control surfaced, weighing, weight and balance for production flights). Do you know where in the process they usually weigh the planes? We typically do so just after they're painted in the paint hanger which gets interesting sometimes. I've ruined, I mean customized lots of my clothes with wet aircraft paint.

I'll hazard a guess that unless it's a public method you can find in a textbook, it's probably industrial espionage if he shares.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

InitialDave posted:

Welp, looks like the UK is going back to ordering F-35Bs rather than F-35Cs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18008171

As an austerity move, it sounds pretty dumb.

*Any* austerity moves involving the F-35 are pretty dumb, come to think of it...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

As an austerity move, it sounds pretty dumb.

*Any* austerity moves involving the F-35 are pretty dumb, come to think of it...

Well, the problem was that they Royal Navy discovered it would be astronomically expensive to fit their new carrier with EMALS-type catapults - like a billion pounds per carrier more expensive. Not only that, but there is no organisational expertise at operating a CATOBAR carrier in either the RAF or the RN these days. Plus, since the F-35C is looking even more troubled than the -B version (if you thought that was even possible), the -B became really the only choice for the British.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Thanks for the info about winglets, now I know!

Edit: I'd also love to live in that house near the production facilities.

Double edit: Whats the chance of me flying on an a380 from IAD to DUB? I havent got the name of the airlines yet but 747s and 777s get boring after awhile :(.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 10, 2012

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I just finished watching a documentary on the TSR-2; it's an absolutely fascinating story about what should have been a world-beating aircraft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL6sGQqB7og
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xur1g87ISM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vljPZJS90U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmPWlPXDJ4g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JacGZ4LxK-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9k7p4QVzQ8

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Welcome to the lore of the CF105 Arrow

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

slidebite posted:

Welcome to the lore of the CF105 Arrow

The parallels are almost eerie, aren't they?

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

ack! posted:

That was really cool info, thanks man. I work for the big B at the 737 factory.

Our current team lead previously supported Boeing. To hear him reflect on the differences is interesting, to say the least. In many ways, it directly corresponds to the cultural differences you find between France and the US.

As for weighing aircraft, the public A380 tour will tell you Airbus weighs A380s at several stages of the production process. Beyond that, I don't know, and as BonzoESC says, probably couldn't tell you anyways.

Tenchrono posted:

Whats the chance of me flying on an a380 from IAD to DUB? I havent got the name of the airlines yet but 747s and 777s get boring after awhile.

Air France has a daily A380 between IAD and CDG, if you're willing to go IAD-CDG-DUB.

Mobius1B7R
Jan 27, 2008

They found the Superjet that went missing yesterday.

:(

Mobius1B7R fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 10, 2012

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

MrChips posted:

The parallels are almost eerie, aren't they?
So much so I do wonder if the both where killed by the same potentially US-based backers. Given the political climate at the time, I'd be surprised if it wasn't. That would also explain the forced destruction in both cases.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Doesn't look like that is the main impact point. Could just be me seeing the scale wrong but that isn't much wreckage. Either way that sucks.

We were talking about it at work about how lovely it would be to have some sort of mishap sealing your fate but having to watch it go down like the Korean Air 747 that took a SAM. Can't imagine fighting to stay in the air all the while circling down to a very real demise.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Pretty sure that's the main impact point, it's just on a vertical cliff-face so any real debris is at the bottom now. That's really lovely. At least it was probably over instantly.

edit: near the center of the brown area is a lighter coloured line where all the dirts been blasted away down to the bedrock, that's probably the exact POI. Plane literally disintegrated on impact.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 10, 2012

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mobius1B7R posted:

Apparently, even Russian "Superjets" can't fly through mountains.

I wonder if we'll ever find out if that was some sort of mechanical problem, or if the pilot was hotdogging for the potential buyers and hosed up.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Locator posted:

if the pilot was hotdogging for the potential buyers and hosed up.

Gut says this.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Terrible Robot posted:

Pretty sure that's the main impact point, it's just on a vertical cliff-face so any real debris is at the bottom now. That's really lovely. At least it was probably over instantly.

edit: near the center of the brown area is a lighter coloured line where all the dirts been blasted away down to the bedrock, that's probably the exact POI. Plane literally disintegrated on impact.
Looks from the de-vegetated area like it may have been slightly inverted at a ~110 degree bank turning left when it hit.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

MrChips posted:

Plus, since the F-35C is looking even more troubled than the -B version (if you thought that was even possible), the -B became really the only choice for the British.

Care to elaborate? Last time I was paying attention the -B was an unholy mess responsible for the whole programme being a disaster, but the whole "no service branch" left behind was preventing the thing from being dumped. What happened to the -C?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

The Locator posted:

Apparently, even Russian "Superjets" can't fly through mountains.

Russian "Superjets" fly wherever they C FIT, mister!

Too soon?

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Understeer posted:

Air France has a daily A380 between IAD and CDG, if you're willing to go IAD-CDG-DUB.
Not daily. They use a340s 3-4 days a week.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Captain Postal posted:

Care to elaborate? Last time I was paying attention the -B was an unholy mess responsible for the whole programme being a disaster, but the whole "no service branch" left behind was preventing the thing from being dumped. What happened to the -C?

Structural strength, cable hook, and landing gear problems are what I've been hearing. Haven't really been following it too closely since the Nunn-Mccurdy situation was cleared up.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

kmcormick9 posted:

Not daily. They use a340s 3-4 days a week.

You're right. Looks like daily service resumes June 12, although flightaware shows 777s at the moment.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Captain Postal posted:

It can't land on aircraft carriers.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
I just flew on a Alitalia A330. Honestly, minus the lovely movie, everything else was pretty much the best flight I have ever been on.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Preoptopus posted:

I just flew on a Alitalia A330. Honestly, minus the lovely movie, everything else was pretty much the best flight I have ever been on.

I think the best flight I've been on was a 777 run by Etihad Airways. It did a fantastic job of making a miserable nonstop flight from Chicago to Abu Dhabi bearable. Also, lots of movie and TV selections, since everyone gets their own touchscreen TV system in economy class.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I've enjoyed basically every Virgin America flight I've ever been on.

Also I really like CRJs because they make everyone gate check their loving awful oversized rolleybags that make load/unload an hour long proccess, and seating is all 2 a breast.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

HeyEng posted:

It probably is. The newer KC-135's look pretty slick with some multi-control functions on the yoke and newer CDU's. They're still rocking radial gauges for the pilot panel engine instruments, though.

I know this is from a few pages ago, but the kid and I were at YAM again and I got you some pictures of their KC135. I tried to keep Captain Katya out of the pictures, but she was intent on her pre-flight checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Mobius1B7R posted:

Shame about the crash, but watch the analysis show that the reason for crashing was that the engines ingested a fatal quantity of dirt, rock, and wood.