Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Yeah I made that same recipe and they came out perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

I made some kolaches on Sunday and needed to brag to someone about how they tasted just like the ones I ate when I lived in Texas. The ones on the plate got a lot more eggwash than the others, next time I will eggwash the hell out of all of them for that nice color, but not too bad for my first try, can't wait to make another batch.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Oh my god. Parnips, where have you been my entire life? I had no idea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It can't be any worse than Rome.

I once believed that, then I moved to Asia. :rice:

I was outside for half an hour this morning going to work and saw six crashes. The bus I was on was about two feet from a crash three times.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Grand Fromage posted:

I once believed that, then I moved to Asia. :rice:

I was outside for half an hour this morning going to work and saw six crashes. The bus I was on was about two feet from a crash three times.

A friend of mine once called me racist for saying his father was an awful driver, until I pointed out I wasn't saying that because he was from China, it was because he was going 95 in a minivan in a 55 area with three high schoolers in the car, and wasn't even wearing a seat belt.

I'm still sort of stunned we didn't either get pulled over or rocketed out of the window shield.

We did make fantastic time, though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

You haven't lived until you've ridden in a van taxi over the mountains between Beirut and the Beqaa Valley with a mad Lebanese driver who is intent on overtaking on blind curves on the edge of sheer cliffs.

Syrian traffic seemed positively polite in comparison.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
To add on to what everyone said about Sabras driving badly and busses being useful, it is my impression that renting a car and fueling it will be extremely expensive.

Fakeedit: I checked, the rental rate is quite reasonable, insurance is emphatically not and not optional.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Oh my god. Parnips, where have you been my entire life? I had no idea.

Parsnip soup is wonderful stuff.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
mentioned this in the industry thread, but the james beard awards have been given for this year

the guy whose kitchen I've been staging in finally got his award for best chef southeast. hell yeah

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Wow. Blue stars are hopping around like crazy. Are Bart and Adobo playing pong?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Happy Hat has no star.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Phummus posted:

Wow. Blue stars are hopping around like crazy. Are Bart and Adobo playing pong?

Just noticed that Adobo wasn't listed as a mod on the roster, but I went back to page 58 and he/she's still starred up. Dunno, might just be some hiccups with New Radium doing something.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

mindphlux posted:

the guy whose kitchen I've been staging in finally got his award for best chef southeast. hell yeah
Woo! Congratulations!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

Just noticed that Adobo wasn't listed as a mod on the roster, but I went back to page 58 and he/she's still starred up. Dunno, might just be some hiccups with New Radium doing something.

There was also this http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437762&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=150#post403399813

Maybe it's a good old fashioned powergrab.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
Yeah, that was my fault: wasn't checking my PMs. Also, being retarded. Hopefully I can get that fixed.

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

I made some kolaches on Sunday and needed to brag to someone about how they tasted just like the ones I ate when I lived in Texas. The ones on the plate got a lot more eggwash than the others, next time I will eggwash the hell out of all of them for that nice color, but not too bad for my first try, can't wait to make another batch.

Those look great! What are they stuffed with? (Kolaches have fillings, right?)

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Eat This Glob posted:

For whatever reason, the system is lagging on adding him. He should show up soon, I just ran it again. GRRRR

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Happy Abobo posted:

Yeah, that was my fault: wasn't checking my PMs. Also, being retarded. Hopefully I can get that fixed.

Those look great! What are they stuffed with? (Kolaches have fillings, right?)
lil smokies and cheddar cheese. I'll pull up the recipe once I get back inside.

e: here it is. I think the 2 big things that this recipe does different from the rest I looked at is a) crisco (quickly becoming a favorite of mine) and b) the egg wash. I didn't do the whole oven rise thing the author mentions, just threw it in my garage on top of my chest freezer (probably 80-85 degrees in there.

I just got my stand mixer 2-3 weeks ago and really have enjoyed making this kind of stuff, or really anything at all with it. Yeast is cool poo poo.

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 10, 2012

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

For whatever reason, the system is lagging on adding him. He should show up soon, I just ran it again. GRRRR

RADIUM :argh:

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.
My wife got me Rude Food by David Thorpe for our anniversary and it is one of the random but cool gifts I've ever got. Definitely didn't expect a book of erotic food photography when I was opening it up.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

I just got my stand mixer 2-3 weeks ago and really have enjoyed making this kind of stuff, or really anything at all with it. Yeast is cool poo poo.

Yeah, I got one recently too and have expanded from using mostly no-knead bread to other recipes which involve kneading. For instance, the other day I forgot to start my no-knead in the morning before work, so when i came back that night I just made some bread using the mixer. I know that I could have kneaded dough before by hand, but the point is that I didn't.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It's late and I was feeling peckish, but didn't have any of my usual starchy snacky foods available (out of bread for toast etc) so I grabbed some masa harina I had laying around and made a few corn tortillas from scratch, hit them with some butter and salt, and down the hatch.

Feels good man.

Blowfeesh
Mar 6, 2010
Do any of you have an idea of what meats go well with blue cheese sauce and pasta?
I was thinking maybe either smoked salmon or peperoni, opinions?

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
I think the blue cheese would murder the smoked salmon, would be a shame. Blue-cheese steak is a classic, so maybe just a piece of beef?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bunny Ears Lawyer posted:

Do any of you have an idea of what meats go well with blue cheese sauce and pasta?

Bresaola, maybe?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

In the pasta, or next to it? The only meat I would mix into the pasta would be beef, but honestly, I'd just as soon not add any meat to it at all. The blue cheese is going to overpower pretty much anything you put in there, so why not let it be the star? I'd just add some wilted spinach and toasted walnuts and call it a meal.

Blowfeesh
Mar 6, 2010

Happy Abobo posted:

In the pasta, or next to it? The only meat I would mix into the pasta would be beef, but honestly, I'd just as soon not add any meat to it at all. The blue cheese is going to overpower pretty much anything you put in there, so why not let it be the star? I'd just add some wilted spinach and toasted walnuts and call it a meal.

In or on the top.
I would like to put the spinach in, but I'm a little put off by the nuts.
I did make up a blue cheese and peperoni sandwich a few days ago and adored it, so I thought maybe cured/deli meats would go well?

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

In or on the top.
I did make up a blue cheese and peperoni sandwich a few days ago and adored it, so I thought maybe cured/deli meats would go well?

You could give it a shot, but ingredients that work well layered in a sandwich won't necessarily work as well all mixed up in pasta. If you like the combination of pepperoni and blue cheese though, then by all means go for it. It's not going to end up being bad, by any stretch of the imagination.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

In or on the top.
Walnuts and blue cheese are a classic pairing and are fantastic together. You might not want to mix them into your pasta, but definitely give the combo a try at some point.

I think you're right that some cured meats would work, but it's probably a case-by-case basis. I like therattle's suggestion of bresaola - beef goes particularly well with blue cheese, and bresaola's curing/drying means it will be strong enough to stand up to the cheese. Otherwise look for fermented charcuterie - Spanish chorizo, linguiça, and the like should go well. I don't cook with pepperoni much, but it has some of the same flavors and would probably work. Give it a try and let us know how it is.

Blowfeesh
Mar 6, 2010
I've decided to use the bresaola, I'm doing the pasta on Saturday so I'll post a piccy or something then.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
^^^^^Looking forward to seeing the results!

Just made some pasta with tapenade and anchovies. It was probably some of the best pasta I've ever had, and at the same time, the simplest.

Pasta. Like pizza, don't overthink the toppings.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Darval posted:

^^^^^Looking forward to seeing the results!

Same: tell us how it works out!

Anyone caught The Avengers yet? I'm checking it out tomorrow with some people who are beyond excited about it, which always makes me a bit nervous. I saw Fellowship of the Ring with a huge Tolkien fan and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I want to cook something this weekend but I am super uninspired. I think I want something like a biryani but I don't know. I got some little lamb chops tonight and the idea of eating them with rice seems appealing.

Like this, I want something like this.

I have been eating almost nothing but pork bbq and huge salads for like two weeks and think it is starting to affect my brain. Like, I know I like a ton of foods but I cannot actually focus and decide to make something.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Husband's a bit of a marvel fan and he said it was glorious. If you're going with hardcore fans he said they'll probably be pedantic about one or two things, but not much. v:shobon:v

I'm doing another NICSA here in a bit. I'm out of ideas for prizes. D'you guys have any suggestions? I'm looking for $30 and below.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Happy Abobo posted:

Anyone caught The Avengers yet? I'm checking it out tomorrow with some people who are beyond excited about it, which always makes me a bit nervous. I saw Fellowship of the Ring with a huge Tolkien fan and it wasn't a pleasant experience.

I haven't seen it yet but I've heard lots of good reports. Whedon's sense of humor and snappy one liners are said to match the Avengers personalities well. Have you checked out the animated series on netflix? I like watching a couple episodes every Saturday while eating breakfast, reminds me of being a kid again.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Happy Hat has no star.
Holy hell man, whose 50 lbs. box of cheerios did you poo poo in to get that custom title?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Happy Abobo posted:

I've seen it, it is the best superhero movie yet. I still think that it would have been better without Joss Wheadon, though. There are still quite a few Wheadon-esque jokes in it.

They do succeed in making it a sequel to all of the movies, not just one or two.

Mark Ruffalo was cast well.

also this:

Edit:

also this:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

It's late and I was feeling peckish, but didn't have any of my usual starchy snacky foods available (out of bread for toast etc) so I grabbed some masa harina I had laying around and made a few corn tortillas from scratch, hit them with some butter and salt, and down the hatch.

Feels good man.

it really is marvelous to know how to cook. it's one of those things that is easy to take for granted, but things like this make me remember how awesome it really is.

I sound like a pet island poster enamored with a cat or something.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That's why I posted in here about it. I knew you guys would understand :allears:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Kenning posted:

That's why I posted in here about it. I knew you guys would understand :allears:

It is a wonderful feeling, especially if one never grew up cooking and learned it relatively late. The best is when one just throws together something without a recipe, going by experience and gut, and it turns out to be not just tasty and edible (which is the least you'd expect), but actually delicious. Super gratifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Had dinner at Uchiko yesterday... Bad cellphone pics, but pics nonetheless.

Brussels Sprouts (Crispy Brussels Sprouts, Lemon Chili)

Koviche (Diver Scallops, Tomatillo, Kalamata Olive Powder, Black Lime)

Boquerones (Spanish White Anchovy, Bottarga, Gremolata)

Bacon Sen (Grilled Kurobuta Pork Belly, Green Onion, Fish Caramel)

Uni (Sea Urchin, Basil, Sea Salt)

Shime Saba (Cured Norwegian Mackerel, Tomato, Truffle, Basil)

Gyutan (Grilled Beef Tongue, Yuzu Kosho)

Buttermilk Mousse, Cilantro Sorbet, Avocado Cream, Pepper Jelly

The food was amazing. The service was okay, but approaching awkward at times, but I think it was more an individual issue than an issue with the restaurant. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.