Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dead Man Posting posted:

Sorry, on my phone and can't listen right now, but is this essentially nu-metal?

Also, loving Aussie Metal Week so far.

No, it's just techno. I was at least expecting something like KMFDM or Front Line Assembly but there's absolutely nothing metal about it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
What the heck dude making us listen to non-metal! :mad:

Enrico Furby
Jun 28, 2003

by Hand Knit
It starts off as a kind of collaboration between Bong-Ra (producer) and Sole (lyricist) but if you go deeper into the mix it gets brutally heavy and Bong-Ra's metal sideproject, Wormskull, has a couple tracks on it as well. Trust.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The new The Rotted album (formerly known as Gorerotted) is pretty good, if you guys wanna get back to listening to cool metal tunes

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So I guess this isn't really metal, but have any goons checked out Storm Corrosion? I just listened to one of their tracks on YouTube, sounded decent enough. I figure what the hell, whether I like it or not I'm okay with giving Akerfeldt my money.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
So Huntress released their debut, Spell Eater. They have a pretty sick sound and their frontwoman, Jill Janus, has a serious set of pipes. They also know how to market:

It's a pretty cool album, digging the sound. Not sure where to classify them, but it's definitely heavy.

This is the new single: Spell Eater

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

co199 posted:

So Huntress released their debut, Spell Eater. They have a pretty sick sound and their frontwoman, Jill Janus, has a serious set of pipes. They also know how to market:

It's a pretty cool album, digging the sound. Not sure where to classify them, but it's definitely heavy.

This is the new single: Spell Eater

This is great, don't skip this.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I'm not really into the whole occult thing, but holy poo poo, Jill Janus has got some fuckin' pipes. Her range is really impressive, too.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Anyone going to the Negura Bunget show tonight in Santa Ana?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
What the hell, Huntress are pretty terrible guys. There's not much to write home about with the singing, and the music behind it is just so... drab and paint-by-numbers.

Allayed to this is the completely cynical way they're being marketed - a former playboy model playing up her "assets" at every opportunity. It's catch 22, you're either a misogynist for dismissing them or a chauvinist for pointing out exactly why they're getting any "mainstream" attention. I'd imagine they'll do very well selling to sexually frustrated teenagers, but anyone who actually bothers to judge the band on the merits of the music shouldn't bother wasting cash.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

The Clit Avoider posted:

What the hell, Huntress are pretty terrible guys. There's not much to write home about with the singing, and the music behind it is just so... drab and paint-by-numbers.

Allayed to this is the completely cynical way they're being marketed - a former playboy model playing up her "assets" at every opportunity. It's catch 22, you're either a misogynist for dismissing them or a chauvinist for pointing out exactly why they're getting any "mainstream" attention. I'd imagine they'll do very well selling to sexually frustrated teenagers, but anyone who actually bothers to judge the band on the merits of the music shouldn't bother wasting cash.

Yeah, I just pretty much immediately discounted them because all their promo stuff features a girl with ROCKIN' TITS... and I sort of automatically assume that any band with artistic credibility probably wouldn't need to show off physical assets.

Unless it's Manowar, of course.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

The Perfect Element posted:

Unless it's Manowar, of course.

With Manowar I feel like their rockin' muscles are actually part of the music.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
Meh, sounds just like any other band that has a bit of money behind it. Its not really that bad, not something I'd listen to maybe, but I wouldn't decry the whole band as being just "some whore trying to trying to shoehorn her way into the metal scene :rolleyes:" Not saying you guys think that, but its obviously what some people think. Its just marketing, and for a band that's going for this sound its not at all surprising.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Man I just thought her singing was good :shobon:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

The HAY GUYS, TITS! stuff is pretty embarrassing, but the music is pretty solid old school heavy metal with some modern flair and the vocals are killer. Spell Eater is probably the strongest track on the album though.

The new Allegaeon on the other hand, is loving fantastic all the way through. It's like the members of Soilwork were cryogenically frozen after Chainheart Machine, thawed in time to hear Enemies of Reality, and then immediately set loose in the studio.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Compared to Siena Root this is frankly embarrassing

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Drifter287 posted:

The HAY GUYS, TITS! stuff is pretty embarrassing, but the music is pretty solid old school heavy metal with some modern flair and the vocals are killer. Spell Eater is probably the strongest track on the album though.

The new Allegaeon on the other hand, is loving fantastic all the way through. It's like the members of Soilwork were cryogenically frozen after Chainheart Machine, thawed in time to hear Enemies of Reality, and then immediately set loose in the studio.

I agree with the second half of this post. What the gently caress did I just listen to, I'd rather listen to Otep after hearing her and that should never happen.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
So when has heavy metal not been about tits? Any VH1 documentary will teach you that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Huntress is alright, I saw em a couple weeks back opening for Dragonforce and Holy Grail. The music is good and most of the time her voice is nice but there is a certain range she hits, usually the shrieking that doesn't work at all. I was doing some reading yesterday on her and she used to be a MTV DJ, DJ Tuesdae and even posed for Playboy in their DJ feature. She said she was always a metal girl and wondered why she did what she did.

The sex thing is pretty blatant but it sells and has gotten them noticed. Unfortunately a lot of the metal community has jumped to hate right away. I normally don't get involved with debates over misogyny and all that but a review I read at the Metal Encyclopaedia really made me feel uncomfortable.

quote:

Ever wondered what two cats experimenting with anal sex sounds like? Then you’ve come to the right place.

Enter Huntress. This is a band that has been hyped up by Napalm Records for the past few months now, with statements like “Lead singer Jill Janus is an operatic banshee with an unparalleled four-octave range” and “The universe spread her legs and delivered Huntress”... and um, yeah. As you can see, they’re not very good at writing press releases.

Nor are the band any good at writing music. First of all, Cuntress are a female fronted band. Let me say that again - Cuntress are a female front band. No one takes female fronted bands seriously, because so far in the history of rock and metal, they have all succeeded in sucking very badly. Say what you will, I just can’t loving stand it. Either the vocalist is good and the music is crap, or the music is good and the vocals are crap. The two goods you’ll never see combined, and you certainly won’t be seeing it here.

Deep down though, a part of me was hoping that this would be at least half decent. Prior to the albums release, I listened to some live clips, and let out mighty roars of laughter. Still, it’s good to keep an open mind about music, and to give bands – no matter how retarded – a fair chance.

The music here is nothing special. It’s just your standard melo-thrash riffs which we’ve all heard eight thousand times before. The guitar riffs are similar to those one would write six months into the instrument, but refuse to use them later on anywhere, because they’re so poo poo. And normally, power metal bands will have this one lead guitar player which has spent all of his teenage years running scales and listening to Rhapsody, so he ends up being pretty beast at it. This guitar player will usually come up with some blazing guitar solos which add a dimension of “at least the leads don’t fail” to an album, but Cuntress doesn’t have that, either. The guitar solos are unimaginative, boring, and on top of all that, poorly played. Granted, I didn’t come into this album expecting Jeff Loomis type mastery, but come on.

None of the music here is memorable or remotely good. Granted, it’s not as bad as Debauchery, but that’s pretty much impossible anyway. But the thing that bugs me most about Cuntress, which I just can’t seem to shake, is that they are a manufactured band. They were put together, in pretty much the same way Nsync were. The singer Jill was a topless DJ in Manhattan and did that for many years, until she got bored of it one day, had her tits done, and decided to join a metal band, and blow her way up into getting a record deal. The other four guys, poor souls, probably thought “Hey, this could be our big break. We now have someone sucking record label executives off for us” and went along for the ride. Sorry to say it, but Jill is not the only one who sucks cock in this band. Even calling them a “band” is pretty insulting, as looking at their promo picture, all I can see are four guys dressed terribly in denim, and what seems to be a professional swimmer.

The only audience this band will find will be twelve year old boys (for the tits) and... I think that just about covers it. “Eight of Swords” huh? More like “Ate All the Cocks”. I can’t believe that I actually sat down and reviewed this before the new Cannibal Corpse or Spawn of Possession, both bands with good music played by, you know, actual musicians.

The only thing that surprised me about this album was the production and mix. These guys really did manage to polish a turd. It must have been a gruelling experience at the mixing board, but they’ve done it. Of course it sounds over produced and over polished – it has to, to mask the complete and utter musical failure they were paid to record. It’s all a copy/paste job in Pro Tools, and the singer does NOT have a four octave voice – she has auto tune, and sometimes even that fails her.

You have been warned. If you’re the type who’s stupid enough to play with raw plutonium, then you’re most probably also stupid enough to listen to this album. I give this project an overall rating of five – and that’s to the guys who drew the short straws to mix and record this thing. And they are probably on Xanax now.

Their guitarist reminds me of Liev Schreiber.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Drifter287 posted:

The HAY GUYS, TITS! stuff is pretty embarrassing, but the music is pretty solid old school heavy metal with some modern flair and the vocals are killer.

I'm still on the fence about this band. I really liked their EP, Off With Her Head, that they initially released a few years back and had been looking forward to their first full length ever since. I feel like their music has some great potential. It just doesn't have the hooks that some other similar bands may. Maybe their next album. I also like Jill's vocals until she tries to pull off that harsh raspy banshee forced scream poo poo. Makes my skin crawl. Still yet, great tits trumps all the other stuff. Call me shallow or whatever, but I'm still a man god dammit and tits sell!

If I want nice female vocals and great music, I'd listen to the new Christian Mistress album.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Vintersorg posted:

:goonsay:

That guy has literally never, ever been laid.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Sab669 posted:

So I guess this isn't really metal, but have any goons checked out Storm Corrosion? I just listened to one of their tracks on YouTube, sounded decent enough. I figure what the hell, whether I like it or not I'm okay with giving Akerfeldt my money.

It's pretty 'out there' and a Youtube poo poo rip won't do any justice to Steven Wilson's sublime production skills. Buy a legit copy.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo please tell me this moron doesn't get paid to write this shlock.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Defleshed posted:

That guy has literally never, ever been laid.

He could have just written "Hot women are sluts and I hate them.".

loving embarrassing.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I'm still on the fence about this band. I really liked their EP, Off With Her Head, that they initially released a few years back and had been looking forward to their first full length ever since. I feel like their music has some great potential. It just doesn't have the hooks that some other similar bands may. Maybe their next album. I also like Jill's vocals until she tries to pull off that harsh raspy banshee forced scream poo poo. Makes my skin crawl. Still yet, great tits trumps all the other stuff. Call me shallow or whatever, but I'm still a man god dammit and tits sell!

If I want nice female vocals and great music, I'd listen to the new Christian Mistress album.

Yeah, that's why I say that Spell Eater is the strongest song. The other tracks are alright but they don't have the hooks that song has. I also feel like a little restraint with the vocals goes a long way. She actually sounds great in the low to midrange, but even if the vocal line resolves there, she never holds it; it always jumps an octave or two into shreiky territory. Used sparingly, that would sound badass, but when it's every time it just sounds silly.

And that "review" is embarrassing. Call them boring and the vocals grating and be done with it. Cuntress? Really?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
wait, why did he start calling them "cuntress" again?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Drifter287 posted:

And that "review" is embarrassing. Call them boring and the vocals grating and be done with it. Cuntress? Really?

It's metal, we're the pro-wrestling of music. Feelings and educated discussion are unnecessary when we're talking about music with corpse loving and church burning.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

Morbid Florist posted:

It's metal, we're the pro-wrestling of music. Feelings and educated discussion are unnecessary when we're talking about music with corpse loving and church burning.

I used to make jokes about this, then I went to a Children of Bodom gig last September in Moscow and ran into a massive neckbeard wearing a WoW Horde shirt who came up to me and started up a serious, non ironic discussion about the symbolism of Cannibal Corpse lyrics and what they *really* mean (man, you just don't get it!) Then he noticed my Reinkaos shirt and started a lecture how theistic satanism is wrong and LaVey is totally the only man who can change lives and poo poo :v: Definitely looked like the dude who would write that review...

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

^^ Jesus Christ, don't people go to metal shows just to get drunk and repeatedly collide with each other anymore?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I stopped reading that "article" Vintersorg pasted in when the guy started going "hurr durr durr all female fronted bands suck by default derr" or someshit. Jeez.

As for Huntress, well they ain't bad, but don't really hit my buttons, either. The "HAY GUISE PLAYBOY METAL" thing is pretty meh, too. And she doesn't even look especially hot to my tastes (I'd much rather bed Angela Gossow), especially in those gaudy LARP costumes of hers. I do like her singing, though I've only heard two songs. I find the ball-shredding scream in the beginning of Eight of Swords pretty drat powerful, especially combined with the imagery of the music video at that point. Other than that the song's pretty boring though.

On another note, someone mentioned Manowar?
I heard they've abandoned the idea of making a concept album, and will just put out a bunch of songs dealing with all the riduculously cheesily badass poo poo Manowar is all about. Which I think is purely a positive thing, really.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Not Very Metal posted:

wait, why did he start calling them "cuntress" again?

Because the singer has lady parts I guess, and for some reason that makes him very angry. No good female fronted metal bands, really? What a dumbass.

I didn't like the song, but it wasn't because of that. I did crack up laughing when the video had some artsy shots of a loving van though.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

quote:

“Eight of Swords” huh? More like “Ate All the Cocks”.
Choked on perfectly good breakfast, but it was worth it. That poo poo is hilarious.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
Misogyny is just the bee's knees :frogout:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Choked on perfectly good breakfast, but it was worth it. That poo poo is hilarious.

Ha ha hell yeah bro bitch should either suck my dick or get the gently caress out right

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Defleshed posted:

Ha ha hell yeah bro bitch should either suck my dick or get the gently caress out right

The whole review was ridiculous, but that line was so ridiculous that I choked on my food. Also, use punctuation, sometimes?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Defleshed posted:

Oh c'mon, that review was so god drat ridiculous that it was laughable. I don't blame the guy for laughing because I did the same thing, but out of uncomfortable embarrassment.

Really? There are no good female-fronted metal bands? Hooooo boy, you sure showed Cuntress. I'll admit that I don't listen to a lot of female-fronted metal just because there isn't a whole lot of it to be found within my preferred realm of taste, but there is no way one can even hope to sustain that claim when there are bands like Nuclear Death, Aghora, gently caress The Facts (forgive the terrible video), Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation, or Gallhammer roaming the earth.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Less meddle, more metal. Angist is a lady-fronted, death metal band that, I hope, is finally birthing a full-length this year.

e: Litmus test: I posted Huntress on my buddy's Facebook. He usually loves everything I share with him. His response, this time, "My 12-year-old would probably like that."

Great Horny Toads! fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 11, 2012

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Vintersorg posted:

nonsense review

I have no idea why I read that whole thing. I should have stopped after the first Cuntress, or at least the first mention of fellatio.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

:stare: this owns, also band name is the best!

Sorry I got all mad bros; just hate meatheads furthering the stereotype of the metal-listener and thought that was what was happening. I did not understand the subtle nuance of reasons for laughing at the ignorant bullshit in the posted review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

"Idiot meathead" just about sums it up.

No good female-fronted bands?

Angist is amazing. Gallhammer is... kind of frightening. I've liked Tristania since I was about 12, gently caress the police :black101:.

Holy poo poo, you guys, Angist is brutal as gently caress, I've been sitting here going through the songs they've got up on YouTube and goddrat.

I am all for more ladies in metal, and gay folks in metal, and anyone else, really, because if you like making brutal music it really shouldn't loving matter what's in your pants or who you gently caress or what color your skin is. We really ought to be brought together by a shared love of the music. Although when Marissa Martinez (formerly Dan) of Cretin came out as trans, she said that everyone had been really accepting. So, there's that, at least.