Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Every time I see a "lol minecraft has no content :smug:" post, I wonder how people don't understand the concept of a 'sandbox game'.

MC is the sandboxiest. You can even build with sand. :colbert:

Content helps sandboxiness. You have more options of things to gently caress with. Example: People in this thread building big ol' NPC villages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

dipple posted:

Well it would have been pretty silly to hire all these people if Notch wasn't planning to expand beyond just sitting around and watching minecraft print money.

It's pretty silly of notch to hire people who call their project bukkit.

ThreeLeggedHyena
Jan 27, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Every time I see a "lol minecraft has no content :smug:" post, I wonder how people don't understand the concept of a 'sandbox game'.

MC is the sandboxiest. You can even build with sand. :colbert:

I think people understand the concept of a sandbox just fine.

It's simply that after you've built hundreds of sand castles and decorated them with the identically coloured rocks from your driveway and sprigs of grass from your back yard, again and again and again, it'd be nice to have some toy soldiers and scorecards. Play 'war heroes' with your friends.

More to do with the sandbox, more tools to shape and enjoy it not simply 'I ams is too stupid to find things to do'.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ThreeLeggedHyena posted:

It's simply that after you've built hundreds of sand castles and decorated them with the identically coloured rocks from your driveway and sprigs of grass from your back yard, again and again and again, it'd be nice to have some toy soldiers and scorecards. Play 'war heroes' with your friends.

More to do with the sandbox, more tools to shape and enjoy it not simply 'I ams is too stupid to find things to do'.

I agree with the sentiment of wanting "more content", I'm just referring to anyone saying that there's none already.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ThreeLeggedHyena posted:

Pretty much this. My regular minecraft buddies all stopped playing a couple of updates back, and no-one is really sure why. Up until that point we were perfectly happy with building increasingly complex and interesting structures, or playing with redstone, or just exploring. But it just got a bit boring and repetitive and everyone just seemed to forget about it.

I like minecraft, I don't regret spending money on it, and it's given me hundreds of hours of entertainment. But as it stands now, I'm pretty much done with it. I am not sure what new content would lure me back.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

All I'd really like for extra content is redpower in stock Minecraft. Not even all the crazy stuff like redpower frames and solar panels, just the redpower wiring system and light panels/blocks and various logic gates and timers.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.

Enzer posted:

Now the Minecraft overhead cost right now is paying for Jeb who has also done around 90% of the coding work for the Pocket edition before handing it off to (what I believe is a two man group) that maintains that version which has only had 3 updates in the past 10 months, Jon who does AI coding but is now working on the Scrolls project and the Bukkit team (4 programers) to help work on the Moding API which I can only assume is a temporary position. I would put decent salary for people in their position to be around 37,000$ which would put them at just under 300,000$ in pay a year and even if you bump that figure up so total overhead is 500,000$ a year, that is only 6.25% of what they make in a month on PC version alone.

$37k is about what we pay interns, and I'm sure that they have much more employees/overhead than what you read about on blogs or whatever.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Minecraft would benefit immensely from some sort of Dark Souls-ish random multiplayer feature. For example, imagine being able to craft some sort of diamond items that would let you pop into random players' worlds online.

There could be a co-op diamond that lets you peacefully visit other worlds. You wouldn't be able to craft or place/destroy blocks, because the griefing potential would be through the roof, but you would fly around. To the player, you appear half transparent. And when you leave, if you found the world impressive, you could "gift" the player a special white diamond (you wouldn't need to have one in your inventory—the other player just gets it).

Or, for hardcore players, you could opt into random PvP. If you opted in, random players could "invade" your world and try to kill you off. If the invader is successful, he gets a special red diamond. If you kill the invader off, you get the diamond.

Finally, put leaderboards online for number of white diamonds & number of red diamonds, sorted by region.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I've been exploring this mineshaft for about a week now, and I've only just now found a cave spider spawner.

I had no idea these things could be so expansive.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Polo-Rican posted:

Minecraft would benefit immensely from some sort of Dark Souls-ish random multiplayer feature. For example, imagine being able to craft some sort of diamond items that would let you pop into random players' worlds online.

There could be a co-op diamond that lets you peacefully visit other worlds. You wouldn't be able to craft or place/destroy blocks, because the griefing potential would be through the roof, but you would fly around. To the player, you appear half transparent. And when you leave, if you found the world impressive, you could "gift" the player a special white diamond (you wouldn't need to have one in your inventory—the other player just gets it).

Or, for hardcore players, you could opt into random PvP. If you opted in, random players could "invade" your world and try to kill you off. If the invader is successful, he gets a special red diamond. If you kill the invader off, you get the diamond.

Finally, put leaderboards online for number of white diamonds & number of red diamonds, sorted by region.

I think random events would be cool. Meteorite showers (star metal!), mob invasions, heard migration, weather systems, roaming enemy humanoids, more complex village systems...

Pretty much just an Elder Scrolls game without quests.

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 11, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I think random events would be cool. Meteorite showers 9star metal!), mob invasions, heard migration, weather systems, roaming enemy humanoids, more complex village systems...

Any of these would be awesome.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You have to remember that while Minecraft is selling fine now, at some point in the the future the sales are going to drop off towards zero because everybody who wants Minecraft will already own Minecraft and if Mojang doesn't have hat server sales providing them with income, they'll cease to exist.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

pseudorandom name posted:

You have to remember that while Minecraft is selling fine now, at some point in the the future the sales are going to drop off towards zero because everybody who wants Minecraft will already own Minecraft and if Mojang doesn't have hat server sales providing them with income, they'll cease to exist.

This will defiantly happen no question...as long and they stop developing other products and porting Minecraft to other systems.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Can't they just start producing DLC with more radical options at reasonable prices? Everyone would end up buying it anyway. Or did they state somewhere that once you buy Minecraft you get all updates for free?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Monster w21 Faces posted:

This will defiantly happen no question...as long and they stop developing other products and porting Minecraft to other systems.

"One-click Minecraft servers" is another product that they're developing.

They know that this Minecraft thing is successful and provides them with lots of revenue, so it is logical to believe that Minecraft hosting will meet with similar success.

They have no idea of Scrolls or that space computer game will even be remotely successful.

And I think there's only so much money to be extracted from the "Hey, it's another limited port of Minecraft, you should buy the PC version instead."

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It makes sense for them to develop new things as long as they don't overstretch, not everything will work out. A "Minecraft II" in 3-4 years doesn't seem particularly compelling at this stage.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I'd readily pay for DLC if it were as good as things like Thaumcraft 2, and if it was always available with the latest version and automatically installed/updated/worked online/etc.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

NeilPerry posted:

Can't they just start producing DLC with more radical options at reasonable prices? Everyone would end up buying it anyway. Or did they state somewhere that once you buy Minecraft you get all updates for free?

At the rate Mojang does stuff they'd have enough content for a new DLC every fourteen years or so.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

NeilPerry posted:

There is no point in doing DLC when you can mod the game so easily.

The free stuff people are only those that bought the game on alpha.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

HardDisk posted:

The free stuff people are only those that bought the game on alpha.

Notch stated in what was either an interview or one of his blog posts that he has no plans to ever charge for additional Minecraft content. The only reason that particular phrase/clause was removed from the terms of service was because his lawyers recommended it. There are some people out there who are arguing that the Xbox 360, iOS, and Android ports of Minecraft fall under that "never pay for Minecraft again" umbrella, and there was even one guy that tried to claim that Cobalt and Scrolls were derivative works and he should get those for free too. Its crazy stuff like that that Notch's/Mojang's lawyers wanted to prevent.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Once again it's a Friday and Goonimati is hosting a Hardcore event this evening. If you're interested in participating and haven't tried it before just drop bye the thread and post your in-game name.

Our events don't require you modify your game client in anyway - it'e entirely server-side.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I think the best new content they could add to Minecraft is simply more natural and craftable blocks. Adding different colored planks is a step in the right direction. If they added matching half blocks, steps, fences, etc. it'd be even better.

New types of stone with matching stone brick/cobblestone/slabs/furnaces, would be better still. You could have some stone be biome specific and everything.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Schwarzwald posted:

I think the best new content they could add to Minecraft is simply more natural and craftable blocks.

I dunno. "Just adding more blocks" is like including 65 crayons in a box instead of 64. Is that really something to get excited about if all you have is a small notepad to draw on and you can't share your drawings with anyone else?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't really get where you're going with that analogy there.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

DarkJC posted:

I don't really get where you're going with that analogy there.

"More blocks don't mean poo poo if they don't do anything different at this point."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Once in a while, they do add another crayon, but it's 'Burnt Sienna' and no one cares.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

fondue posted:

Once again it's a Friday and Goonimati is hosting a Hardcore event this evening. If you're interested in participating and haven't tried it before just drop bye the thread and post your in-game name.

Our events don't require you modify your game client in anyway - it'e entirely server-side.

Seriously, for people who say they got sick of Minecraft, come try this, it's like a whole new game.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

I dunno. "Just adding more blocks" is like including 65 crayons in a box instead of 64. Is that really something to get excited about if all you have is a small notepad to draw on and you can't share your drawings with anyone else?

Get what you're going for but the notepad is practically infinite and people share their drawings all the time. Your problem is that you can only do so many things with crayons and paper, you're getting mad at Crayola for not giving you new things to do with them.

What I'm saying is you should try sticking a dirt block up your nose

(what I'm actually saying is that you made a terrible analogy)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wafflecop posted:

Get what you're going for but the notepad is practically infinite and people share their drawings all the time. Your problem is that you can only do so many things with crayons and paper, you're getting mad at Crayola for not giving you new things to do with them.

What I'm saying is you should try sticking a dirt block up your nose

(what I'm actually saying is that you made a terrible analogy)

It's like you'd be asking for some sort of spyrograph add-on, or even a crayola paint set. Then we'd be cookin'.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Schwarzwald posted:

I think the best new content they could add to Minecraft is simply more natural and craftable blocks. Adding different colored planks is a step in the right direction. If they added matching half blocks, steps, fences, etc. it'd be even better.

New types of stone with matching stone brick/cobblestone/slabs/furnaces, would be better still. You could have some stone be biome specific and everything.

I'd like a proper snow biome where the top layers of the world is actual snow blocks instead of just snow covered. And testificates living in igloo-like structures :3:

Another thing I'd really like is a sort of redstone-lite that A) doesn't require a degree in electric engineering to comprehend and B) doesn't take up half a mountain to do something.
And more things to build. I really wouldn't mind something like the windmills and so on from Better than Wolves (Minus the animal cruelty, of course), and proper elevators.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Polo-Rican posted:

65 crayons isn't much of an improvement over 64, but it's a hell of an improvement over two.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I feel the same way about Minecraft being boring after a while due to the lack of goals. That's why I play on the Lostshard server. It gives you a lot of goals for improving your plot. Of course you have to make it bigger, but you also might want to set up some vendors. So then you make buildings for them, and then you get the stuff for them to sell etc. Basically you have something to be working towards.

EDIT: Fixed terrible mistakes.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 11, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

That's why I play on the Losthsard server. It gives you a lot of goals for improving your.

Improving my what?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Maybe it is "village".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Allen Wren posted:

Improving my what?

Plot. I'm really good at typing in the morning :downs:

Basically you just have goals to work towards. Minecraft kind of lacks that since your only real goal is acquiring certain items and killing the dragon.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

ThreeLeggedHyena posted:

No one is saying minecraft has no content. That's a strawman. There ARE people who are saying there there isn't enough content though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Enzer posted:

I would put decent salary for people in their position to be around 37,000$ which would put them at just under 300,000$ in pay a year and even if you bump that figure up so total overhead is 500,000$ a year, that is only 6.25% of what they make in a month on PC version alone.

I seriously doubt Notch is paying his staff less than $80,000/yr, with Jeb making substantially more.

Keep in mind that all those people that work there are crucial members of a highly successful startup - you have to pay them well enough to keep them. VC money will lure programmers to other startups otherwise. My buddy keeps getting offers of $70-85k to go work for other startups almost weekly, and the company he works for is nowhere as visible as a company like Mojang.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I've tried to get back in Minecraft but the terrible terrain generation is stopping me. Every time I look around and see a corner where a Swamp meets a Desert meets a Tundra it just leaves me cold. They need to go back to finite map sizes, generate the topography and then determine biomes from logical datapoints.

I wish I could explore an big rear end island and map out how the central forests give way to tundra in the north. How there's a small desert in the rain shadow of the eastern mountain range. If I could follow an actual river from mountain spring all the way down to the coast it would do so much to make exploration worthwhile.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 11, 2012

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.

Dylan-D posted:

No one is saying minecraft has no content. That's a strawman. There ARE people who are saying there there isn't enough content though.

gokuesque posted:

How about a game with content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

7c Nickel posted:

I've tried to get back in Minecraft but the terrible terrain generation is stopping me. Every time I look around and see a corner where a Swamp meets a Desert meets a Tundra it just leaves me cold. They need to go back to finite map sizes, generate the topography and then determine biomes from logical datapoints.

I wish I could explore an big rear end island and map out how the central forests give way to tundra in the north. How there's a small desert in the rain shadow of the eastern mountain range. If I could follow an actual river from mountain spring all the way down to the coast it would do so much to make exploration worthwhile.
They should copy the map generation from Dwarf Fortress. Geology, erosion, humidity, temperature, proper biomes... Hell, Toady and Mojang should get together and make the best loving sandbox game ever.