Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

veekie posted:

Well, we know Gold compounding gives you health for free, so I figure it would give you the Feruchemical attribute, available as an Allomantic metal. If it simply boosted the allomantic aspect of the metal you'd have basically the same effect as Duralumin after all.

Oh right, I was thinking about a Copper Spike then. Whoops :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Charlz Guybon posted:

I've read lots of literature in college that was objectively good and intellectually stimulating but which I did not enjoy whatsoever. I can definitely understand people wanting to put good books and fun books on different scales.
"Objectively good" is a literal oxymoron. Just think about the idea of judging books differently solely based on others' opinions of them. I think you'll agree that it's ridiculous, and maybe detrimental to both casual discussion and pro lit crit.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

404GoonNotFound posted:

Oh right, I was thinking about a Copper Spike then. Whoops :doh:

Yeah, just wondering what the Compounds did, Iron would give you unlimited weight(handy when you can Pull as well, but you probably rather be a full Mistborn to survive), Steel makes you The Flash. Still can't figure out what Compounded memories would give.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

veekie posted:

Yeah, just wondering what the Compounds did, Iron would give you unlimited weight(handy when you can Pull as well, but you probably rather be a full Mistborn to survive), Steel makes you The Flash. Still can't figure out what Compounded memories would give.

Permanently store the memory in your own mind, maybe.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Or recalling repressed/lost memories that would otherwise be unreachable.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Hmm, a Soulbearer Mistborn would sure be interesting if it does what I think, Allomancy has "The metal is a catalyst, that begins an Investiture and keeps it running", so I'm thinking you could store up a charge of whatever you're burning(possibly with a Duralumin boost), and then Compound that to give you the Duralumin boost power without running out of power like you normally would. Should give you a Mistborn that effectively can't run out of fuel and can produce allomantic effects of arbitrary strength.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Starting to have doubts that Brandon will ever finish the Stormlight Archives.

Yea, he writes fast, but he apparently gets fat even faster. Watched his BYU lecture series recently and the guy has definitely been hitting the lemon cakes. It took GRRM 30 years to grease clog his arteries, but Brandon did it in 5. Maybe Dan Wells has been sharing his bacon stash.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 10, 2012

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.

OneTwentySix posted:

I listened to 2/3s of Elantris through audiobook on a long trip. I absolutely HATED the beginning; I was completely bored, but I'd already listened to my other books first so it was either that, or the radio. I stuck it out, but it was just so boring until 4 or 5 hours in, and then it started getting interesting. Part of the problem was the audiobook's quality; they basically did it like a narrated movie with sound effects and voice actors, rather than directly just reading the book, and I found that extremely annoying, but barely anything was going on at first.

It's too late for this guy, but just in case anyone else is interested, there are actually two audiobooks for Elantris, a regular version (which was quite decent) and the radio play version mentioned above ("Graphic Audio").

The idea behind the radio play version was a big turn off for me, so I thought I'd mention the existence of the regular version, in case anyone else feels the same.

Still a not his best work and a bit slow at times, but the reader was good and by the end I was glad I'd listened to it.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007

BananaNutkins posted:

Starting to have doubts that Brandon will ever finish the Stormlight Archives.

Yea, he writes fast, but he apparently gets fat even faster. Watched his BYU lecture series recently and the guy has definitely been hitting the lemon cakes. It took GRRM 30 years to grease clog his arteries, but Brandon did it in 5. Maybe Dan Wells has been sharing his bacon stash.

He probably eats while he writes.

Edit: Just think how fat he'd be if he could drink coke or mountain dew

Koryk fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 11, 2012

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Koryk posted:

He probably eats while he writes.

Edit: Just think how fat he'd be if he could drink coke or mountain dew
Mormons actually can drink both of those, although many do not.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I won't delve into thread to avoid spoiling myself but I just finished The Well of Ascension and gently caress you Brandon Sanderson now I need to find the last book as soon as I can.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Antti posted:

I won't delve into thread to avoid spoiling myself but I just finished The Well of Ascension and gently caress you Brandon Sanderson now I need to find the last book as soon as I can.

I know the feeling; I just finished Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens. The series, while extremely silly and kinda stupid, was also really good, even if they're aimed at younger kids. Nothing like leaving the fourth of five books on a cliffhanger, and then apparently not writing (or announcing plans to write) the fifth one yet! At least the Mistborn Trilogy is already written, though I felt a bit down when I finished Alloy of Law, because that was excellent, too.

I'm in the middle of way too many series right now; Dresden Files, Iron Druid, Stormlight Archives, The Lost Fleet, now this one, and at least two others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Just finished book 1 of The Stormlight Archive without realising there were no others released yet. I hate this feeling.

It definitely felt he took a step up from his work on Mistborn, although maybe one day he will write a character that isn't plagued with often crippling levels of self-doubt.

OneTwentySix posted:

I'm in the middle of way too many series right now; Dresden Files, Iron Druid, Stormlight Archives, The Lost Fleet, now this one, and at least two others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I have just binged the entire Dresden series, followed by the 4 Mistborn books, and now finished Stormlight. Seeing as we seem to be on the same track I'm going to take your post as advice that I should at least try out Iron Druid and The Lost Fleet :)

Nique fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 13, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nique posted:

I have just binged the entire Dresden series, followed by the 4 Mistborn books, and now finished Stormlight. Seeing as we seem to be on the same track I'm going to take your post as advice that I should at least try out Iron Druid and The Lost Fleet :)

The Lost Fleet is all right if you can get past the part where every book has literally the exact same plot.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Piell posted:

The Lost Fleet is all right if you can get past the part where every book has literally the exact same plot.

Yeah. I liked it; started it as an audiobook when I went to Florida last year. It's not perfect, but it was entertaining, as far as military Sci-Fi goes. The first series seems to be better than the books afterward, though; just got the last one that was released yesterday, though, so now I have more to read, along with a handful of smaller Sanderson books I haven't gotten to yet. I'd still definitely recommend it to anyone that likes Sci-Fi, though; a six book main series, two follow ups, and more to come apparently, so there's plenty to read.

Iron Druid is great; it's not as good as Dresden, but it's very similar in a lot of ways and definitely worth reading. The humor is definitely hit or miss, though; he hits as often as he misses. I still like the invention of the word "gently caress puddle" in book three.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's an interesting tor.com blog about the science of Mistborn.
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/05/the-science-of-allomancy-in-mistborn-tin

quote:

From the series we know that an Allomancer who burns tin will experience enhanced sensory input from each of the five senses. Allowing them to not only process more information from each source of sensory input, but making them more sensitive to sudden floods of information to those inputs. For example, Kelsier warns Vin that while burning tin will give her enhanced hearing and sight, it will also allow her to be stunned by sudden loud noises, or blinded by sudden flashes of light.

One natural phenomenon that has received a lot of attention in the area of sensory enhancement research is stochastic resonance. In simple terms, stochastic resonance is the mechanism by which adding a small amount of random noise to a weak signal can make that signal easier to detect.

Researchers have found that when they added noise to sensory input, test subjects experienced enhanced detection of tactile stimulus, stronger visual perception, better hearing, and enhanced mental concentration.

The study on hearing points out that mammalian auditory nerve fibers produce a relatively high level of internal noise on their own and that this noise is reduced in individuals that have experienced hearing loss. While people with normal hearing in the study only experienced a moderate amount of increased hearing sensitivity due to the external stochastic noise, the results among those with hearing loss were considerably more pronounced.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Here's an interesting tor.com blog about the science of Mistborn.
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/05/the-science-of-allomancy-in-mistborn-tin

That doesn't really make any sense to me when it comes to hearing. I can understand how adding random auditory stimulus can enhance perception and increase concentration. Hell, that's why surgeons play classical music in operating theatres.

But adding random auditory stimulus in the background while someone speaks a sentence would help you hear them better? No, it does the opposite to helping you hear better. You might strain to focus your hearing to make them out properly but perception would be shot to pieces anyway.

Do they mean the volume of hearing or the perception of hearing? They aren't the same. Someone who can hear normal volumes, or indeed better than normal volumes could still have difficulty understanding a single word anyone says.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So I'm finally sitting down with Way of Kings (reading Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker and White Sand in quick succession kinda burned me out on his stock characters) and I'm just wondering, this is his Exalted campaign isn't it.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So I'm finally sitting down with Way of Kings (reading Mistborn, Elantris, Warbreaker and White Sand in quick succession kinda burned me out on his stock characters) and I'm just wondering, this is his Exalted campaign isn't it.

I thought the exact same thing then.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Pretty obviously, yeah. I don't think he's even very secretive about that.

mcable
Apr 21, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/kCXRcxe.jpg
What's an Exalted Campaign? I tried googling it but didn't find any sites that actually describes what they are.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Giant swords and armor, everything runs off Essence Stormlight, holding a ton of it makes you glow, you can use it to boost your capabilities...yeah pretty much.

Reference

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
So when does the second Stormlight Archive book come out? Way of Kings was so awesome.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
He's going to start working on it right after he's done with A Memory of Light. Sooo, next spring, probably? This fall/winter at best if he's more of a machine than usual.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

TYLERþ@JETROCKETSKATES
@BrandSanderson Is a direct sequel to Alloy of Law still in the works? I just finished it, and I could simply die from all the loose ends!

Brandon Sandersonþ@BrandSanderson
@JETROCKETSKATES Yes, one is.

:toot:

I think this is the first time he has directly answered yes instead of saying most likely.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

That probably means he's halfway done with it or something.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's a hell of a lot more from Brandon. Wall o text incoming!

TLDR:
1. Two previously written novellas will be self published by him in 1 book, Defending Elysium and Firstborn.
2. Legion is still coming by subterranium press.
3. Brand new novella "The Emporer's Soul" is coming from Tachyon Publications, read below for details! Set in a remote corner of Sel, the planet from Elantris...
4. Stormlight 2 not coming till Fall 2013 at the earliest.

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/advertising-your-novels/advertising-some-of-my-smaller-projects/

Brandon Sanderson posted:

Hey, all.

Brandon Sanderson here. I have been known to write some fantasy stories now and then. I have some self published and small press books coming out this year, and I thought people might not get a chance to hear about them.

The first is self published. I'm taking two of my novellas and printing them together in a print volume, which I'll be taking to some cons this summer to sell. I should have some up on my website for sale eventually. The stories are Defending Elysium and Firstborn, both of which are free to read on-line. (Defending Elysium is on my website. Firstborn on Tor.com--though I have a link to it in the other link just below.)

http://brandonsanderson.com/library/catalog/Recent-Short-Stories_Full-Short-Stories

Also of interest, I have a book coming out from Subterranean Press in July or August:

http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=sanderson01&Category_Code=B&Product_Count=114

Called Legion, it is the story of a man with a very interesting brain. He is a genius, and can master any topic of study in a very short time--however, the knowledge he gains manifests as a person only he can see, who acts as an adviser on that topic. Someone invents a camera that can take pictures of the past, and our hero--along with his band of genius delusions--must recover it after it is stolen.

:siren:Finally, as if that weren't enough, Tachyon is publishing another of my books sometime around November:

http://www.tachyonpublications.com/book/Emperors_Soul.html?Session_ID=new

This story, The Emperor's Soul, is a fantasy story about Shai, a master forger. The emperor barely survives assassination, and is left a vegetable. His servants can heal his brain, but he just stares in front of himself blankly, as if his soul is gone. Shai is hired (well, brought off of death row) and told she has three months to create a forgery of the emperor's soul and imprint it onto his body with her magic, so that everyone can continue to act like the emperor is alive.
:psyduck:

Both the Subterranean book and the Tachyon book are novellas.

The obvious question is probably, "Why isn't your New York publisher doing these?" Well, to be honest, these books aren't right for Tor. They're just too short, in my opinion, for a traditional bookstore release. (Though I originally did do one of them with Tor.com.) I wanted to release nice collector's edition print versions and cheap ebooks at the same time. It's not something that is profitable for a large publisher, and so is better suited to doing myself. (EDIT--Note, with Legion and The Emperor's Soul, I'm working with very talented small presses for the print editions and am self publishing the ebooks. I don't want to take credit for what Subpress and Tachyon are doing, as they've been fantastic to work with. I love the Tachyon cover.)

I'm not sure if this means I officially get to join the indy writers, or if I'm already too far entrenched in my place to ever be considered indy. However, considering the company, it seems like a great place to be. I'm a firm believer that both indy publishing and big-six publishing will have a place in the future of books, and that both serve very useful roles. Seems like this is one of the best times in the history of publishing to be a writer, with more opportunity for more people and more voices.

Best,

Brandon

p.s. I don't know if anyone out there is paying any attention, and this thread might just vanish away. But in case it doesn't, I'll keep an eye on it for a while and answer any questions that come my way. Feel free to ask.

I'll update this if he answers anything of note.

:siren:

Tachyon Publications posted:

From the bestselling author of the Mistborn Trilogy and co-author of the final three books of Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series comes the tale of a heretic thief who is the only hope for the survival of an empire.

Shai is a Forger, a foreigner who can flawlessly copy and re-create any item by rewriting its history with skillful magic. Though condemned to death after trying to steal the emperor’s scepter, she is given one opportunity to save herself. Despite the fact that her skill as a Forger is considered an abomination by her captors, Shai will attempt to create a new soul for the emperor, who is almost dead from the attack of assassins.

Delving deeply into his life, she discovers Emperor Ashravan’s truest nature—and the opportunity to exploit it. Her only possible ally is one who is truly loyal to the emperor, but councilor Gaotona must overcome his prejudices to understand that her forgery is as much artistry as it is deception.

Skillfully deducing the machinations of her captors, Shai needs a perfect plan to escape. The fate of the kingdom lies in one impossible task. Is it possible to create a forgery of a soul so convincing that it is better than the soul itself?

:siren: :siren: :siren:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

Second Stormlight book is scheduled (by me) for fall of 2013. That really depends on me getting it finished by December of this year, at least in first draft form. That's possible, but I can't tell you how possible or not until I get the WoT done right. That will take as much, or as little, time as needed.

quote:

Question:
I'm definitely excited for your upcoming books. Are you going to sell signed and numbered copies of Legion and Emperor's Soul? Just got used to having my Sanderson books numbered and signed. a bit spoiled, i know.

Are Legion and Emperor's Soul contained in their own worlds or are they part of the universe of The Stormlight Archive, etc (anywhere with Hoid in it. lol)

Brandon's answer:
The Emperor's Soul is set on Sel, the world of Elantris. It's far off, though, so you have to have your eyes open to catch the clues. Hoid shows up in a deleted scene, and is referenced in the story.

quote:

Question:
Do you see the speed your books get published at changing w/ the end of WoT? Seeing as how editing WoT takes so much longer?

Brandon's answer: Yes, I do. Getting WoT right takes about double the time it takes to do my own works, so we shouldn't have any more no-book years.
:dance:

quote:

Question:
So does this mean we get Stormlight 2 and 3, Elantris 2, and the entire new Mistborn trilogy in 2013?

Brandon's answer:
LOL
I would not be surprised Brandon... :what:

quote:

Question:
Any word on when to expect something new for The Way of Kings?

Brandon's answer:
It is next, starting on it in July or August, hopefully.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 22, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Wait, so the Forgermancy story is actually set on the same world as Elantris? drat, guess I'll finally have to read that one.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I don't think you'll see any major characters or plot points from Elantris showing up there, if Brandon is to be believed. Just a clue here or there. Hoid shows up in a deleted scene, so he must have cut that out because he wanted it to stand on its own.

Still, who knows what will happen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Isn't all his stuff somehow tied together as far as a shared universe (to use the term literally rather than in it's lovely fanfiction sense)?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

IRQ posted:

Isn't all his stuff somehow tied together as far as a shared universe (to use the term literally rather than in it's lovely fanfiction sense)?
Basically everything except the Alcatraz series (and Wheel of Time, obviously), yeah.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

IRQ posted:

It's called the "Cosmere" yeah. It's actually one of the most interesting bits I think.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I'm listening to the Mistborn trilogy on audiobook, about 1/4 of the way through the 3rd one. (The audiobooks are excellent by the way.)

But this world just got so depressing it's almost hard to listen to. I feel like there's no fixing things, everyone's going to die a slow miserable death. Elend just gave this "What Would Kelseer Do? Smile!" speech to the crew and it didn't even help. I really liked the first book, and the second was okay, but this one the futility of it all is really starting to make it unenjoyable to read (well, hear).

Maybe it's just the audio format, since it's so much slower. 5 hours of every character acting doomed is just :smith:

mistaya fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 22, 2012

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

mistaya posted:

I'm listening to the Mistborn trilogy on audiobook, about 1/4 of the way through the 3rd one. (The audiobooks are excellent by the way.)

But this world just got so depressing it's almost hard to listen to. I feel like there's no fixing things, everyone's going to die a slow miserable death. Elend just gave this "What Would Kelseer Do? Smile!" speech to the crew and it didn't even help. I really liked the first book, and the second was okay, but this one the futility of it all is really starting to make it unenjoyable to read (well, hear).

Well, the good thing about depressing and grimdark stories is that the climax is always sweeter. Unless the writer is G. R. R. Martin, in which case there will be no climax.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And hey, at least if everything else is hosed, Breeze found a bit of peace with Allrianne :unsmith:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mistaya posted:

Maybe it's just the audio format, since it's so much slower. 5 hours of every character acting doomed is just :smith:

The Sanderson avalanche is in full effect in that book. Just wait for it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here is the next article from Tor on the science of Allomancy. Today's lesson is copper.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/05/the-science-of-allomancy-in-mistborn-copper

quote:

Aside from masking their own allomantic pulses, Kelsier tells Vin that “copper’s influence occurs in a bubble around you. This cloud — called a coppercloud — hides anyone inside of it...”

While we aren’t told the exact nature of allomantic pulses, let alone what would be required to mask them, certain information in the text reveals that the pulses have wave-like properties. Therefore it is reasonable to assume that copperclouds somehow interfere with these allomantic waves to make them untraceable.

One possible clue as to how this interference might work is found in copper’s superconductive properties. In 1987, J. Georg Bednorz and K. Alexander Müler won the Nobel Prize in Physics for their discovery that certain copper-oxide compounds behaved as high-temperature superconductors. (Where “high-temperature” in this context means around 30K).

Many properties of superconductors are probably well known by readers of this site, however one property that isn’t quite as flashy as levitating magnets is that when sound waves pass through superconductors, those waves change velocity.

Since we lack any empirical data on allomantic pulse signatures, we can’t be sure if the pulses are acoustic or electromagnetic in nature. However I believe it is safe to theorize that regardless of which class of waves allomantic pulses belong to, their signatures would probably be distorted by a superconductor.
:science:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Here is the next article from Tor on the science of Allomancy. Today's lesson is copper.

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/05/the-science-of-allomancy-in-mistborn-copper

:science:
This is really great, because I'm sure the most common complaint about the Mistborn books is that they don't explain Allomancy in enough detail.

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
Just finished the Way of Kings. Thought it was quite sluggish up until the last quarter, at which point I couldn't put it down until I finished it.
My only real criticism would have to be Kaladins never ending self pity and doubt in his internal monologue, which I found quite irritating at times.

Considering reading the Mistborn trilogy now as I have a thirst for some more Sanderson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dmccaff posted:

Just finished the Way of Kings. Thought it was quite sluggish up until the last quarter, at which point I couldn't put it down until I finished it.
My only real criticism would have to be Kaladins never ending self pity and doubt in his internal monologue, which I found quite irritating at times.

Considering reading the Mistborn trilogy now as I have a thirst for some more Sanderson.

Be warned that the second book is basically a lot like how you describe Way of Kings, except that the payoff is moreso in the last two or three chapters then the last quarter.