Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
I know this sounds terrible but I root against the Yokozuna just to see the zabuton flying. It's awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSm7wWpRc88

Today's stream turned out pretty bad. It's not Kintamayama's fault, but it still sucks. We miss you, Araibira. :smith:

For Juryo, Tamaasuka looked like he had a really good match today. Wish I could record these so I could share with you all, but if someone finds it, let me know.

Now for spoilers:

Wow, Harumafuji's eye looks really awful. He looked like he was in pain after yesterday's match, but with how red his right eye is today (deep, blood red) it's certain that something happened. The announcers weren't sure exactly what, though they speculated that Houmashou might have jabbed a finger in his eye.

Speaking of Harumafuji, I really think they made the wrong call on his match after watching the replays. There's probably something I didn't see, but it really looks like Harumafuji is still mid-air when Gagamaru touches down. That they didn't even call a mono-ii is very disappointing.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

seorin posted:

Speaking of Harumafuji, I really think they made the wrong call on his match after watching the replays. There's probably something I didn't see, but it really looks like Harumafuji is still mid-air when Gagamaru touches down. That they didn't even call a mono-ii is very disappointing.

terrible screenshot time:

based on this view, gagamaru has clearly touched down first (it's hard to tell because of the pixelation but harumafuji's right foot is still airborne). however...

his right foot might touch here, or just before this when you can't see it because of the camera angle. with the speed and picture quality it's impossible to be sure, but it's awfully close.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

seorin posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSm7wWpRc88

Today's stream turned out pretty bad. It's not Kintamayama's fault, but it still sucks. We miss you, Araibira. :smith:

If you can read the names in kanji or can recognize the wrestlers by face (both of which I'm a little shaky at), yskohyama's channel has been rock solid for these first two days. Coverage of each match is slightly longer, too.

I could have sworn that Harumafuji won that match, too. Strange it wasn't even reviewed yet Okinoumi's was when I thought it was obvious that Okinoumi stepped out a beat after his opponent fell.

I may have imagined it, but did Hakuho give Aran a quick smack to the chest after he deposited him out of the ring? He looked a little pissed and cocky about that win. Trying to remember if there was some bad blood between them... but no, I believe it was Harumafuji who Aran henka'd, which caused Harumafuji to henka Hakuho? Couple tourneys ago, I think.

So glad to see Kotooshu dropped on his head... dude is way overdue on getting a losing record. Not a great start for the top foreigners this tournament, in general, except Baruto.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

a false posted:

his right foot might touch here, or just before this when you can't see it because of the camera angle. with the speed and picture quality it's impossible to be sure, but it's awfully close.

I actually watched for that during the replays, which they show from several angles (I watch on live TV when I can get home in time ... about a 50% chance). From what I saw, I'm almost positive he did not touch at that point. They really should have at least discussed it, though, even if the end result didn't change.

Fryhtaning posted:

If you can read the names in kanji or can recognize the wrestlers by face (both of which I'm a little shaky at), yskohyama's channel has been rock solid for these first two days. Coverage of each match is slightly longer, too.

Thanks, I'll check that out when I get a chance. I've got about a 70% hit rate on the kanji just going in blind, and I'm getting better as I hear the announcers keep repeating them.

Also, I think you're right about Hakuhou getting a little aggressive at the end there. That's not very like him, so I really wonder what that was about.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
He was probably mad about losing yesterday.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Fryhtaning posted:

I may have imagined it, but did Hakuho give Aran a quick smack to the chest after he deposited him out of the ring? He looked a little pissed and cocky about that win. Trying to remember if there was some bad blood between them... but no, I believe it was Harumafuji who Aran henka'd, which caused Harumafuji to henka Hakuho? Couple tourneys ago, I think.

Not every hatakikomi is a henka, but most of them are, so any day that lame bitch Aran gets smacked is a good day.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRIMejunuwQ

Comments on today's matches:

Shotenrou: I love it when I catch the rare smile on a rikishi's face. They look so drat serious all the time. It's refreshing when they're on the news outside of an actual tournament, because they all seem like such happy people by comparison.

Yoshikaze: After getting hurt last tournament, he really doesn't seem to have the energy he used to. I'm hoping he warms back up a bit; his matches were always some of the craziest.

Tochinoshin: When I first started watching sumo, I used to get him confused with Kotooshu. They're easy to tell apart now, though. Tochinoshin is the one that's winning. :haw:

Aoiyama: He seems like he's gotten a lot better this tournament. I've never really been impressed by him, but he's doing well so far!

Miyabiyama: I always like seeing the really big fatties lose, so I'm pleased with his poor performance so far this tournament. That probably makes me a terrible person or something, but I just really like that skill matters more than weight (to an extent... Takanoyama :(). Miyabiyama's actually decently skilled, though. He might even do better if he lost some weight.

Aminishiki: Haha, I wonder if that's embarrassing for the gyoji.

Baruto: I should probably cheer more for Myogiryu because I'm in Hyogo, but, uh, go Baruto!

I got home just in time for the latter half of the ozeki, so here are the comments I wrote up while I watched:

Kotooushu: They must have showed the replay like 6 times from a bunch of different angles, getting slower each time. Best I can tell it was an exact loving tie. Seriously. I think the judges must share Fryhtaning's hate of Kotooushu.

Kotoshogiku: This match really shows how little Gagamaru has going for him besides weight. I think he's even been getting better lately, but it's pretty embarrassing for him to let Kotoshogiku push him around like that.

Kisenosato: He's in really good shape so far this tournament. I hope he keeps it up. It's a much better sight than how he began the last tournament. Since he's so easy to compare to Kotoshogiku, between the two I like to root for Kisenosato because his technique is a lot more varied than endless belly bumping. Don't disappoint me again, Kisenosato! :arghfist::(

Hakuhou: While the gyoji was doing his pre-match thing, the camera showed a great close-up of Takayasu's face with this "whelp, I'm hosed" look plastered all over it. Not that I blame him. After the match, Hakuhou did another little shove thing, though he seemed to think better of it after and went to pat Takayasu on the back. I wonder if he's really that pissed off about losing to Aminishiki. If he keeps this up, I think he might be in trouble against the ozeki, since it's usually his ability to stay calm that turns matches in his favor.

While waiting for the stream to go up so I could actually post these comments, I went and Takanoyama's awesome first day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhn02UMMNJo

Sadly, I could not find Tamaasuka's awesome match from yesterday. It's really hard to get any consistency on juryo matches. :(

I know tarepanda is interested, though, so here's what I did find:
Today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzqSZ7tLEZw
While the stream shows them conferring for the mono-ii is when my TV broadcast shows those replays I'm always talking about. I didn't see it today, though. Sometimes I don't even get to see juryo at all even if I'm home.
Tamaasuka vs. Takanoyama?! (old): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BIWu71rTK8
I also somehow found a compilation of every match of Tamaasuka's from January this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSgAeUZd7Eo

Fake edit: holy gently caress I wrote a novel. I think I just really missed sumo for the last 6 weeks. :(

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

seorin posted:

Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRIMejunuwQ

Comments on today's matches:

Shotenrou: I love it when I catch the rare smile on a rikishi's face. They look so drat serious all the time. It's refreshing when they're on the news outside of an actual tournament, because they all seem like such happy people by comparison.

another great reason to miss asashoryu :( i don't care if some of his antics (fist-pumping etc) were against acceptable sumo decorum, being able to watch a rikishi (and a dominant one at that) with an actual personality was so fun. as much as i like a guy like baruto, i feel like that's something he seriously lacks (note his completely stoic reaction to a rikishi - i don't remember which one - flying off the dohyo and landing right next to him).

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

seorin posted:

Fake edit: holy gently caress I wrote a novel. I think I just really missed sumo for the last 6 weeks. :(

Tell me about it.

I don't hate Kotooshu, but I think it's pure luck that the guy is still an Ozeki at this point. He has come close to demotion too much for someone who once won a tournament. In addition, he has no technique or balance and routinely looks foolish against an opponent that he should have no trouble with. With 6 Ozeki now, it'd be a drat miracle if he wins his 8 again, and he shouldn't.

I like Tochinoshin too. He's one of those guys that keeps going from the top to the lower makuuchi between tournaments, so his record fluctuates to the extreme. He can't beat any of the Ozeki, but he plays really well against the rest of the makuuchi.

Also could have sworn Hakuho was thinking of adding a knuckle sandwich to his kimarite, but converted that into a show of altruism at the last second. What the gently caress is wrong with him? Is he going to tear his skin off and transform into Asashoryu on the last day of the tournament, like "gotcha, suckers!" ?

Kise's got personality and an impressive arsenal. Best of the JP wrestlers, for sure.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

a false posted:

another great reason to miss asashoryu :( i don't care if some of his antics (fist-pumping etc) were against acceptable sumo decorum, being able to watch a rikishi (and a dominant one at that) with an actual personality was so fun. as much as i like a guy like baruto, i feel like that's something he seriously lacks (note his completely stoic reaction to a rikishi - i don't remember which one - flying off the dohyo and landing right next to him).

Rikishi are expected to stay :geno: and dignified on the dohyo, indeed they get punished if they show too much emotion. It's not consider polite towards the loser I suppose, and itt's one of the defining characteristics of the sport. I remember Baruto beating Hakuho the first time in many tries.. he was all :geno: on the ring like aint no thang, but as soon as he reached the tunnel to the shower rooms, you bet he was all :haw: and hi-fiving his stablemates the rest of the way.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 8, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

seorin posted:

I know tarepanda is interested, though, so here's what I did find:
Today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzqSZ7tLEZw
While the stream shows them conferring for the mono-ii is when my TV broadcast shows those replays I'm always talking about. I didn't see it today, though. Sometimes I don't even get to see juryo at all even if I'm home.
Tamaasuka vs. Takanoyama?! (old): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BIWu71rTK8
I also somehow found a compilation of every match of Tamaasuka's from January this year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSgAeUZd7Eo

Thank you! That's really awesome.

I can't believe how I went from "I don't give a poo poo about sumo" to "THIS GUY IS AWESOME BECAUSE HE'S FRIENDLY."

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfyyS0HWCuA

Comments:

Takanoyama (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvPuaf0DA0E): Nice moves today. His opponent didn't seem all that good, though.

Tamaasuka: I guess I've never paid all that much attention to juryo before, but is it common for a juryo rikishi to face off in makuuchi for a day? Regarding the match itself, I don't even know whose blood he was covered in at the end there.

Aoiyama: Run, gyoji, run!

Baruto: I think he still wants it just a little too bad. He does a much better job when he takes his time and lets his opponent try to push him around for awhile first. It was kind of a crappy loss, all things considered; it seems like such a stupid mistake. Kakuryu's match is a good example of what Baruto has been lacking since the last tournament.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Toyonoshima vs Kakuryu was an example of sumo at its finest. Balance on both sides, slapfest turned grip-switching belt tussle.

Glad that Aran is 0-4 already. Taking bets on his imminent first henka...

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Nice throw by Ama aka Haramafuji

Also I'm really disappointed in Homasho (I forgot how they spell his name). I dont know why ive taken a liking to him but hes 0-4 :(

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gozinbulx posted:

Nice throw by Ama aka Haramafuji

Also I'm really disappointed in Homasho (I forgot how they spell his name). I dont know why ive taken a liking to him but hes 0-4 :(

He's a bit like Tochinoshin in that he tears up the middle, but stinks against those above maegashira. So when either of them make komusubi or maegashira #1 or so, they get pummeled especially in the first week when they mostly face wrestlers higher than them. I look for Homasho to start tearing up the middle in the second week, most likely.

Personally I like his technique, his pre-match chest thump routine, and his almost over-the-top Japanesity. Nobody bows like Homasho.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I really enjoyed Kakuryu and Harumafuji as well, I just didn't want to write another novel. :(

After watching Harumafuji, I actually wrote "best match of the night" ... and then I saw Kakuryu and knew I had to write something for him, too, and then thought, "gently caress, this is getting long" and just settled for a quick mention under Baruto instead.

Edit: speaking of pre-match routines, I caught Takamisakari's match today. I've seen him before, but never caught the name. He's, uh, interesting, to say the least. Seems like he's been around for awhile, too.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
What was the name of the guy who, on his final salt toss, would throw it into the air real high and then slap his chest real hard with his fists? I dont see him anymore in these new bashos and I havent watched since 2009. He was pretty popular with the crowd and had kinda of a weird face.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
If he moves like Robocop or C3PO with a slight case of Down's, then that's Takamisakari. :)

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

pigdog posted:

If he moves like Robocop or C3PO with a slight case of Down's, then that's Takamisakari. :)

Yup, that's the one! He also does this ... I don't even know... barking? Possibly the strangest thing I've seen in sumo.

Anyway, on with today's matches.

Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RCyIGofOXQ

Comments:

Some of the earlier matches are actually pretty good / strange today. Laughing my rear end off that "tsukihiza" is an actual kimarite. It may not be the most accurate translation, but in my mind, I hear it as "his knee touched". It sure did.

I'm starting to wonder if Yoshikaze wants to drop down to juryo or something. He has had no fight in him at all this entire tournament so far. Miyabiyama's match probably wasn't a bad call, but gently caress I wish I could have seen the replay on that. :( Aoiyama's and Shohozan's matches made me laugh: the former because he pulls a Kotooshu and bodily dives into the crowd after the match, the latter because of how goddamn slappy he is.

I actually caught the Toyonoshima match on the news and I'm gonna toss it on the growing list of "should have called a mono-ii". It really looks like Toyonoshima's gut touches first when you view it from the other side. I wonder why they're being so stingy with the more thorough discussions this tournament.

Baruto's match was wonderful; that's the Baruto I remember from two tournaments ago. Aran put up a surprisingly good fight, too. Kakuryu had another fantastic match today as well. Hakuho shoved another dude (what the hell man). In the end, we're down to only one ozeki left with no losses yet. This tournament is atypical to say the least.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
kotoshogiku has acquitted himself pretty well so far in this tournament. looking less like token-japanese-ozeki than last basho. we'll see how well he holds up against the other ozeki i guess.

also hakuho still looks super pissed off.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Homasho :(

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

pigdog posted:

Christ, how did I not know about this before? That is some hosed up poo poo. Makes Asashoryu look tame.

Yeah what is going on with Hakuho? I still think it's Asashoryu wearing a Hakuho suit.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leJq9_O5WA4

Comments:

Kotoyuki looks like he got hurt pretty bad. He barely made it back on stage for the bow, and then limped towards the back with help. Hopefully it's not too serious. Getting knocked out of the tournament with an injury this early would really hurt his rank, wouldn't it?

I was preparing myself for disappointment with Yoshikaze's match, and I guess it really was a bit disappointing, but not in the way I thought it would be. Speaking of which, Chiyotairyu got some pretty good air with that jump. I take it that's frowned upon? From the way I see it, he seems to be doing very well for such a new rikishi. Tochinoshin's match is the first time I've ever heard the commentators disagree with the results of a mono-ii, but maybe I just wasn't listening before. I feel bad over what I said about Miyabiyama before; he doesn't seem to be doing too well this tournament.

The ozeki matches were pretty typical tonight. While Kisenosato's win was pretty likely, I think he pulled it off skillfully. Harumafuji's headbutt had to hurt; he was wincing in pain as he walked off. I thought Kakuryu did a good job as well, but Kintamayama is criticizing him for hatakikomi. Is there anything wrong with hatakikomi outside of a henka?

seorin fucked around with this message at 12:17 on May 11, 2012

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
henka (or whatever you want to call his big leap) notwithstanding, chiyotairyu and his sideburns are becoming my favorite maegashira.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

seorin posted:

The ozeki matches were pretty typical tonight. While Kisenosato's win was pretty likely, I think he pulled it off skillfully. Harumafuji's headbutt had to hurt; he was wincing in pain as he walked off. I thought Kakuryu did a good job as well, but Kintamayama is criticizing him for hatakikomi. Is there anything wrong with hatakikomi outside of a henka?

I think it's like his comments about Hakuho's left hand where he was concerned that he was nursing an injury. If Kakuryu is doing a lot of hatakikomi, he might not be able to thrust and shove well for some reason.

Homasho just can't wait to wrestle someone ranked lower than him and who isn't an Ozeki...

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)

Fryhtaning posted:

I think it's like his comments about Hakuho's left hand where he was concerned that he was nursing an injury. If Kakuryu is doing a lot of hatakikomi, he might not be able to thrust and shove well for some reason.

Ohh, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification! I was like, "I thought he did pretty well?" :confused:

Also, should I keep doing the commentary like I have been, or is it too wordy? I hope I'm not just filling up the page with stuff nobody cares about.

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
No, keep it up! I'm not easily able to watch the streams, and appreciate the commentary.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Uber Kosh posted:

No, keep it up! I'm not easily able to watch the streams, and appreciate the commentary.

I watch the streams and I still enjoy the commentary!

THE Green Ranger
May 9, 2009
I've always been fascinated by Sumo, but have never gotten into it. This thread has been super helpful, though I am still trying to figure out the numbers and such. I think Seorin's commentary on this current tournament has been very helpful towards making some sense of what is going on for me. I enjoy it!

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Oh, wow, ok. I'm happy to keep doing it then. Thanks for the feeback!

Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrpdMEEJMyo

Comments:

Today is the turning point where stuff starts to get really good.

Juryo: I was right about Kotoyuki; he was out today (think I heard the commentator say it was his right knee). I don't know who Sotairyu is, but his match was good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s67zayAYdzg). Our favorite downs robot managed to beat Tamaasuka today (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdEb93tnE4) and the crowd cheered at him when he made his exit. It turns out today is his birthday, too. :toot:

Non-Ozeki: Yay, Takanoyama back in makuuchi for a day! Great match, too. Chiyotairyu seemed pretty outmatched and I wonder if he's going to start losing a lot more from here on out as he faces tougher opponents. Yoshikaze seems to have gotten a little spirit back, and even the commentators mentioned he was more like himself today. Tokitenku's match is the first time I've seen "ketaguri"; the commentators were surprised, too. They kept focusing on how he kicked Miyabiyama's leg out, so I imagine that's what it means.

Kyokutenho's match was decent, and while he was waiting by the side of the ring afterwards he was trying to suppress a smile. Takayasu just hit 7 losses in a row, which is pretty bad news for him. Also, what's the deal with his belt changing colors from green to red? I don't think I've ever noticed anyone's belt color changing before. Homasho put up a good fight today and finally got a well-deserved win.

Ozeki: I'm surprised Aran didn't try to pull a henka on Kakuryu, but it probably wouldn't have worked anyway; good match. The ad banners paraded out before Myogiryu vs. Kotoshogiku were hilariously plentiful, and the match results were everything I hoped for. Myogiryu just became another rikishi to keep an eye on. Baruto was way too cocky in his match. It ended up being a really fantastic match because of it, but I think he could have won if he were more careful. I'm also glad I'm not the only one that thought it looked like Harumafuji slapped Toyonoshima across the face.

Hakuho: "Please do not throw the cushions." Toyohibiki was actually shedding tears on his way out of the ring. The commentators kept shouting 涙の金星. I've never heard that latter part before so I looked it up and it means "win of rank-and-file sumo wrestler over the truly great grand champion". In short, "a tearful victory," with a very specific definition of victory. What a fantastic ending to a day of great matches. Today more than made up for a somewhat lackluster yesterday.

Sorry this got long again, but drat, those were some matches.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
That was awesome. Ive only been watching since January, but best day Ive ever seen.

Even if its kinda lame I liked the leg-kick almost henka.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I really like this tournament, so much nice action and still a really open field.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It was pretty funny to see Goueido lift Baruto off his feet. For a second I thought Baruto was about to get Baruto-ed.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I agree that Baruto got way too cocky. Nearly getting lifted out of the ring himself should be a wakeup call that just because he is the biggest and strongest doesn't mean that he can win just from being so.

Seriously, Myogiryu? I just had to look him up to see who this mystery wrestler is who has already beaten 4 ozeki. He lost to all 6 ozeki, Hakuho, and Yoshikaze last tournament, but beat everyone else. Now he's 4-3 against the top 7 wrestlers. Amazing.

Speaking of Yoshikaze, looks like he finally gives a gently caress again. Wonder what was going on for him to suddenly have life again.. no injury heals that suddenly aside from maybe a jammed wrist or something.

Was also shocked as hell that Aran didn't henka Kakuryu... maybe the yakuza finally got to him and told him what would happen if he did that again.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Fryhtaning posted:

Seriously, Myogiryu? I just had to look him up to see who this mystery wrestler is who has already beaten 4 ozeki. He lost to all 6 ozeki, Hakuho, and Yoshikaze last tournament, but beat everyone else. Now he's 4-3 against the top 7 wrestlers. Amazing.
A few years ago, Myogiryu was on course for one of the fastest promotions to Makuuchi in history. He had four straight kachi-koshi from entering at Ms15 as a college champion, made it to Juryo within a year of his first bout. In his second Juryo match he fell awkwardly, hosed up his knee so badly that it took eight months to recover, and dropped to the bottom of the sandanme. One year after he got back in the ring, he was in Makuuchi.

Seriously, look at this record: http://sumoreference.com/Rikishi.aspx?r=11784. This guy is probably going to be Ozeki in a year or two, if he doesn't burn out.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Anime Reference posted:

It was pretty funny to see Goueido lift Baruto off his feet. For a second I thought Baruto was about to get Baruto-ed.

And today he beats Hakuho for the first time ever. Finally got a chance to see the seat cushions fly.

By the way, a bit late, but thank you for this thread. I'd catch it on TV on occasion and it was fascinating, but I didn't know much at all of what was happening until this.

e: shits, didn't even think about spoilers. Sorry about that!

Lock fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 13, 2012

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
^^ might want to spoiler that since I know some people come here to find the link to the stream.

Stream: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA4dA0VCU-M

Comments:

Takanoyama: :swoon:

Yoshikaze looked to be in good form again, though still not as energetic as before his injury. It's good to see him making a comeback. I'm not sure what Wakakoyu is trying to accomplish with all this hatakikomi; last time he had to face off against all the ozeki, they ran a train on him, and they're going to do it again if he can't win matches head-on. Takayasu's belt changed back to green again...? Aran stupidly tried a henka on Aminishiki and suffered his 8th loss for it... looks like a well-deserved loss of rank for him. Miyabiyama is doing surprisingly poorly, and that dude who always comments on the individual matches and seems to know what he's talking about (pukulu) thinks he's going to retire at the end of this tournament.

Toyohibiki tried the exact same technique as Myogiryu and it almost worked, which I think points to a weakness of Kotoshogiku's. Kotoshogiku won in the end, but he bent his knee and it looked to be causing him quite a bit of pain after the match. He seemed mostly better as he walked towards the back, so it might not be a serious injury, but it's still bad news for him. Baruto is still in way too much of a hurry.

Hakuho: Yesterday's loss was surprising enough, as one of the announcers pointed out that it's the earliest he's ever received a second loss in a tournament since he was promoted to Yokozuna. This third loss - and against an opponent he's never lost to before - is really bad news for him. Whether it's injury or something else, he's really not himself this tournament.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

seorin posted:

Hakuho: Yesterday's loss was surprising enough, as one of the announcers pointed out that it's the earliest he's ever received a second loss in a tournament since he was promoted to Yokozuna. This third loss - and against an opponent he's never lost to before - is really bad news for him. Whether it's injury or something else, he's really not himself this tournament.

Kintamayama said something about him thinking that Hakuho was going to go kyujo, which from what I can tell is a withdrawl from the tournament due to injury (either physical or in an ozeki or yokozunas case pride counts as well). It seems like this is a thing that a yokozuna can do. How big of a loss of face is it? If he does this two tournaments in a row would he be expected to retire, or is this not that serious?

Any chance hes actually hurt?

Wakanosato's throw was amazing, best move Ive seen someone his size do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
I read somewhere that it's not unheard of for a yokozuna to withdraw from a tournament, especially in case of injury. I'm not sure this is an injury, though. The youtube folks think so, but they interviewed an expert on the news over here (yes, this is that unusual) and his opinion was that Hakuho just wants the win too much, and his impatience is costing him.

It looks like all match-ups after a withdrawal are an automatic loss, which is why Apraxin was mentioning earlier that Myogiryu dropped several ranks after his injury. It sounds like he lost rank even for tournaments he never took part in. Since anybody besides a yokozuna can be demoted, that would be the main worry for most rikishi. In Hakuho's case, though, it would just be pride, and unfortunately, he is a very proud person.