Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Xiahou Dun posted:

Bad, New York! That's a bad New York!

You're supposed to be ahead on this poo poo. Do you want god drat Iowa to stay in the lead? Iowa?!

Don't blame me; I'm from Massachusetts :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!
I saw this in the GBS thread and thought it was worth having a discussion about.

quote:

I think marriage equality is a farce pursued by rich white gays who want to assimilate. It's a red hearing, preventing attention and money from going to important causes: like homeless queer youth, violence against the queer community, etc. Once "marriage equality" is established, a lot of attention will fade away without any real problems being solved, much like how paper privileges caused people to stop paying attention to the continuing struggles of racialized groups.

quote:

That's a nice hope. As from my example earlier, the hope that equal legal rights associated with the Civil Rights Movement would equalize the social and economic standing of Blacks in the country. Fifty years on, the statistics say that hope failed.

You say these protections are extended to every other citizen, but that's not really true. Marriage as "traditionally" understood is about "love" and having children, presumably some sex is involved. Why should the state care about any of those things? If two people want to tie their financial and legal lives together, who is the state to stop them on the grounds that they don't love each other, that they don't have sex, or they won't produce children? What about polyamores.? Why shouldn't three people be able to tie their lives together legally? Does marriage equality extend to their relationships?

But of course Marriage was never about love. It was about property, and our romanticized notions about it are laughable because compared to the many thousands of years it was just about power over women and children, this "partnership/love" concept has only been around since the 1920s.

Another thing, marriage is universally a religious institution. It has more to do with God than the state, so why is the state codifying a religious institution at all? Because religion used to be state sanctioned, so this a hold over from nonsecular governance.

You claim there would be no negative effects from legalizing gay marriage. But I told you what the negative effects were, so I don't even think you really read what I said. MONEY will stop being spent by the gays with the most money. These are the same gays that fight to prevent homeless youth shelters from being built in their neighborhoods because they don't want their property values to decrease. The rich gay people only care about that stupid piece of paper. It's hard enough to get the community to pay attention to real problems with marriage as an issue. Many queers aren't involved at all. People don't care about problems that they don't face themselves, and I not prepared to leave my trans friends and drag friends and every other queer in the dust because the state finally sanctioned something that's not important at all.

I think it is important for the government to enact laws that gives equal status to the LGBT community, but I also understand that there might be negative consequences to the movement when there is so much focus on gay marriage in particular. I'm curious to hear more opinions on this. Thoughts?

Edit: grammar

ilovemyducks fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 10, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Echo_ posted:

quote:

Another thing, marriage is universally a religious institution.

That, for one, is false. Marriage has never been "universally" a religious institution and it certainly isn't now.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Echo_ posted:

I think it is important for the government to enact laws that gives equal status to the LGBT community, but I also understand that there might be negative consequences to the movement when there is so much focus on gay marriage in particular. I'm curious to hearing more opinions on this. Thoughts?

There's no good argument here. Civil rights laws didn't create true equality, but they're a necessary and important step. Likewise gay marriage may not create true equality but that makes it no less necessary and important. There's also a libertarian argument in there of "state out of marriage entirely" but that's not going to happen, nor is it desirable (because marriage is a package of important legal rights that's of tremendous benefit to have as a society, such as automatic inheritance and hospital visitation and the like).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Riptor posted:

Don't blame me; I'm from Massachusetts :smug:

Massachusetts is the best state.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Such a good state we've evolved past using the word "state" for ourselves

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hey, hey, you got the City, you got Westchester. All nice and dark purple. Anything we do, the upstate frowns on for a while. Don't worry, it'll come out in the wash.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Echo_ posted:

I saw this in the GBS thread and thought it was worth having a discussion about.

I think it is important for the government to enact laws that gives equal status to the LGBT community, but I also understand that there might be negative consequences to the movement when there is so much focus on gay marriage in particular. I'm curious to hearing more opinions on this. Thoughts?

It's an utterly absurd thing that comes up. Yes, people who ONLY fight for marriage are missing a lot of major points but people putting 'counter culture cred' above ensuring every gay citizen has equal rights is cartoonishly wrong.

As for the second quote, it's just another pseudo-intellectual who thinks the western concept of marriage is 'marriage as it always was'.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

Hey, hey, you got the City, you got Westchester. All nice and dark purple. Anything we do, the upstate frowns on for a while. Don't worry, it'll come out in the wash.

And of course it looks like rich, white Nassau county is the lump of grey near the city.

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!

Echo_ posted:

There's an awful lot of liberals who suffer from an annoying condition that can only be described as 'care paralysis.' They seem to hold a wrong headed notion that to care about one issue is to abandon the others.

"Oh no I can't complain about this issue because there are these starving children who are more important!" and so forth. It's nonsense. For example, just because you're researching the cure for cancer, doesn't mean you can't also work on cure for HIV and AIDS.

It is possible to care about many things at once. Human equality lifts all boats. Giving marriage equality to gay Americans doesn't somehow secretly put the screws to poor gay teens. Everyone wins.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Yes, I'm pretty familiar with those arguments, and they can probably best be described as radical queer or queer liberationist. There's some truth in it, mainly the claim that marriage (if not necessarily religious) is traditional and conservative. I think it is, and I think the shift to gay marriage as the primary political cause for gay activists following the AIDS crisis of the 1980s reflects a rightward shift within the gay rights movement. (Borne out of the crisis too.)

The problem is that radical queer ideology offers no solutions and has no basis for engaging with politics in any way. It's essentially empty, totally zero sum analysis. What it says is that any attempt at freeing a group from oppression only divides the oppressed against each other by privileging certain groups over others. So they say that gay marriage will privilege wealthy white gay men over trans people of color, because it means that gay men will have bought into an oppressive system. So what you get is political paralysis. No one should be freed because freedom privileges the people who are freed over those who are not.

The other problem is that it's contradictory. It rails against white gay men "who want to assimilate," (how dare they try to live normal lives!) while suggesting that true liberation is being different from straight people and enforcing that difference. Instead gay men should actively reject the majority, and should not seek acceptance from them. In fact, you shouldn't want to be accepted -- you should want the majority to actively dislike you, fear you and be discomforted by you, because that's what makes you queer. Though, I don't think anyone should seek acceptance either, because acceptance should be owed to you, not sought by you. But they're in a weird paradox where being hated means they have been liberated. It's also no wonder it's becoming more marginal, since there's not as many anti-gay haters around as there used to be.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 10, 2012

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Didn't see a specific thread about Obama endorsing gay marriage, so I thought I'd just poke my head in here and mention that, while I know it's as much about politics and the election as anything else, I was extremely glad to see Obama mention that it was in fact partly due to his Christianity that he supports gay marriage. The most immediate descriptor of my religion from non-christians is (according to at least one poll) "anti-gay," - something which I think is a travesty and a hideous departure from Christ's teachings. I would be quite happy to see those of us who aren't assholes get half the PR the Anti-gay, overly political groups do.

And so I'm not completely derailing the current discussion: I really don't see the long term benefit to 'queer liberationists.' That sort of sepratist behavior seems like it would just be drawing more lines in the sand and fueling the Us vs Them scenarios that are so conducive to bigotry - from BOTH sides of the fence. I support gay marriage 100 percent, but I worry that because so much of my church as stood against it that the pendelum could eventually just swing back the other direction when I'd rather it just meet in the middle.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 10, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Echo_ posted:

The President has supported ENDA (LGBT employment non-discrimination) for longer than the Respect For Marriage Act and there are more co-sponsors, including a few Republicans.
The federal legislative plan for LGBT rights has always been placed ENDA before DOMA repeal.

One of our biggest problems is that people surveyed believe federal law forbids LGBT employment discrimination. Marriage is the #1 issue because our opponents have organized 32 highly publicized votes on marriage. There is a ton of casual support that does not extend to the entire LGBT legal agenda. When Massachusetts and Connecticut finally added transpeople to their laws last year, the media ignored it, but national media will report on marriage bills before they're even close to a floor vote.

If we call and complain enough, non-discrimination laws will become expected of any Democratic legislature the same as marriage.

The complaints about the institution of marriage are ridiculous stuff that nobody cares about other than Andrew Sullivan when he gets angry about personal conflicts between activists 20 years ago.

e: Colorado special session starts Monday. So civil unions will pass next week probably. :toot:

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 10, 2012

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I live in PA, and yeah thats pretty much the case. The is actually a joke that PA consists of Philadelphia, Pittsburg, and Alabama in between.

It really doesn't help when we elect idiots like Santorum and psychopaths like Corbett

I literally moved to PA from Alabama and I am astonished at how similar they are. A little depressing since I was hoping it would be a lot more liberal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Aufzug Taube! posted:

Yes, I'm pretty familiar with those arguments, and they can probably best be described as radical queer or queer liberationist. There's some truth in it, mainly the claim that marriage (if not necessarily religious) is traditional and conservative. I think it is, and I think the shift to gay marriage as the primary political cause for gay activists following the AIDS crisis of the 1980s reflects a rightward shift within the gay rights movement. (Borne out of the crisis too.)

This really makes zero sense though. Like I have no idea who you're talking to but in Texas of all places AIDS activism is still a huge thing, you can't quantify 'activism' and say 'well this is getting more focus so it means...'. Marriage is a major talking point because there are a poo poo ton of states trying to take it away from us. I haven't been involved in any organization for gay rights that didn't have a huge HIV/AIDS awareness/activism wing.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Echo_ posted:

I think it is important for the government to enact laws that gives equal status to the LGBT community, but I also understand that there might be negative consequences to the movement when there is so much focus on gay marriage in particular. I'm curious to hear more opinions on this. Thoughts?

The main problem with this argument is the assumption that those rich white gays would be focused on some other gay rights issue if marriage wasn't on the table, that is completely wrong. Most of my gay friends are not very politically active and the ones that are involved wouldn't be involved in gay rights activism at all if it wasn't for the marriage issue. If anything the fact that the marriage issue is such a big thing right now is bringing in more money and attention to the other LGBT issues. People tend to give the most attention to the issues that affect them personally and if wasn't for gay marriage there wouldn't really be any pressing LGBT issues for the rich white gays other than maybe the school bullying/suicide stuff.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Glitterbomber posted:

This really makes zero sense though. Like I have no idea who you're talking to but in Texas of all places AIDS activism is still a huge thing, you can't quantify 'activism' and say 'well this is getting more focus so it means...'. Marriage is a major talking point because there are a poo poo ton of states trying to take it away from us. I haven't been involved in any organization for gay rights that didn't have a huge HIV/AIDS awareness/activism wing.
No, I really disagree. There was a major ideological component to gay marriage before it became a mainstream position within the gay community, in that there was virtually no discussion of gay marriage until the 1990s, and the only people who were really advocating for it before then were gay social conservatives who thought marriage was a way to end what they saw as the preconditions for the HIV pandemic: cultural isolation in gay ghettos, disconnected and emotionless sex with strangers, rejection of mainstream values, etc. In the broader history of the gay rights movement, marriage was traditionally a position of the gay right -- not the gay left.

Second, I think the idea that gay marriage activism as a response to "states trying to take [marriage] away from us" puts things in the wrong order. Before anti-gay amendments to state constitutions, gay marriage was already illegal or unrecognized. It was the push for marriage beginning in the 90s that provoked a reaction by anti-gay forces to formally ban it in constitutions as a stop-gap.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Aufzug Taube! posted:

The other problem is that it's contradictory. It rails against white gay men "who want to assimilate," (how dare they try to live normal lives!) while suggesting that true liberation is being different from straight people and enforcing that difference. Instead gay men should actively reject the majority, and should not seek acceptance from them. In fact, you shouldn't want to be accepted -- you should want the majority to actively dislike you, fear you and be discomforted by you, because that's what makes you queer. Though, I don't think anyone should seek acceptance either, because acceptance should be owed to you, not sought by you. But they're in a weird paradox where being hated means they have been liberated. It's also no wonder it's becoming more marginal, since there's not as many anti-gay haters around as there used to be.

This is an incomplete and deeply misleading characterization of the radical queer position. Queer liberation is about people having the freedom to construct the kinds of sexual and emotional lives they want without fear of persecution, opprobrium, or artificial social hinderance. The problem with marriage advocacy as it's practiced in the U.S. is that it paints marriage as the only culturally acceptable queer relationship, and other sorts of relationships and arrangements are very explicitly characterized as less worthy of regard, protection, or even acknowledgement. These relationships evolved because they worked best for the people concerned, and the enshrining of marriage as the ideal relationship status for queer people actively harms the people who practice such alternative relationships. I have zero problem with people having the ability to get married, and indeed I think that they absolutely should. The problem arises when marriage becomes the only socially acceptable option, and people whose circumstances demand a different kind of arrangement are relegated to the fringes even more than they often are already (since a great many people with such alternative arrangements are poor queer people of color).

HMDK
Sep 5, 2009

...and they all pretend they're orphans, and their memory's like a train

Bel_Canto posted:

This is an incomplete and deeply misleading characterization of the radical queer position. Queer liberation is about people having the freedom to construct the kinds of sexual and emotional lives they want without fear of persecution, opprobrium, or artificial social hinderance. The problem with marriage advocacy as it's practiced in the U.S. is that it paints marriage as the only culturally acceptable queer relationship, and other sorts of relationships and arrangements are very explicitly characterized as less worthy of regard, protection, or even acknowledgement. These relationships evolved because they worked best for the people concerned, and the enshrining of marriage as the ideal relationship status for queer people actively harms the people who practice such alternative relationships. I have zero problem with people having the ability to get married, and indeed I think that they absolutely should. The problem arises when marriage becomes the only socially acceptable option, and people whose circumstances demand a different kind of arrangement are relegated to the fringes even more than they often are already (since a great many people with such alternative arrangements are poor queer people of color).

Well, yeah.
But acceptance of gay marriage is still a huge step forward.
And I don't see it as increasing some sort of bias against gays who don't wan't to get married, any more than some straights don't want to , except of course for the original bigotry which will still be there. At some point the bigotry will be "hmmm... yeah, maybe the MARRIED gays are acceptable, I guess... but those wanton single ones who blah-blah-basically behaves like straight people not getting married? Yeah, I still don't like -those-". And yeah, that's still bigotry, but it IS less. And that's how poo poo like this mostly works. One excrusiating step at a time. Is it enough, for now? poo poo, no. The eradication of bigotry and ignorance is ALWAYS too slow. But that doesn't mean small victories shouldn't be seen as such.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Bel_Canto posted:

I understand your argument(it'd be better split into paragraphs), but it's a bit outside the scope of a marriage equality thread. Working to secure legally-recognized and completely equivalent domestic partnership legislation does not preclude gay or poly people from telling the entire system to gently caress off.

The big deal thing here is that married people get a poo poo ton of advantages based on registering their status with the state(getting married). These benefits aren't available to same sex couples. There is no equivalent inequality right now with regard to people in poly relationships. The state doesn't endorse poly relationships at all.

I don't see how marriage being an available option for gay people makes it the "only socially acceptable option."

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ErIog posted:

I understand your argument(it'd be better split into paragraphs), but it's a bit outside the scope of a marriage equality thread. Working to secure legally-recognized and completely equivalent domestic partnership legislation does not preclude gay or poly people from telling the entire system to gently caress off.

The big deal thing here is that married people get a poo poo ton of advantages based on registering their status with the state(getting married). These benefits aren't available to same sex couples. There is no equivalent inequality right now with regard to people in poly relationships. The state doesn't endorse poly relationships at all.

I don't see how marriage being an available option for gay people makes it the "only socially acceptable option."

You don't see how that's the case with straight couples? Everything under the sun is pushing them into marriage, with piles of financial and social rewards that only can happen once you're married. My wife and I basically only got married because of the monetary benefits and protections it brought her-- we were in it for the long haul anyway, but neither of us thought we needed state or church approval of our relationship. I can see the same thing being used to coerce gays into marriage.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Again I have no idea who you're actually talking to but I've never heard gay marriage advocates say that it was the ONLY option, just that, you know, we're citizens and deserve the same rights as any other citizen.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Glitterbomber posted:

Again I have no idea who you're actually talking to but I've never heard gay marriage advocates say that it was the ONLY option, just that, you know, we're citizens and deserve the same rights as any other citizen.

Oh they never do. It's just the only option they'll ever publicly talk about or ever spend one red cent on.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Bel_Canto posted:

Oh they never do. It's just the only option they'll ever publicly talk about or ever spend one red cent on.

yep people sure haven't spent any money on anti-bullying and suicide prevention in the last year or so

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bel_Canto posted:

I'm not saying Gay Marriage shouldn't be legal or anything like that. But if you can't see society's not-so-subtle push to get people married, I think you need to check your eyesight.

Also, missing the point that by pushing for the most basic of benefits (marriage is a pretty marginal benefit unless you're already middling to well-off) will just peel off support for other parts of the equality agenda basically ignores the whole general push for equality up until this point. Groups are only given equality so that they can be used to continue to oppress the remaining out-groups (see the gradual expansion of white to include more ethnicities) To act like this isn't a concern is a bit shortsighted.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Riptor posted:

yep people sure haven't spent any money on anti-bullying and suicide prevention in the last year or so

People didn't give two shits about bullying and suicide prevention until about a year and a half ago, and in another two years they'll stop giving a poo poo again. I work as a teacher in Minnesota, right next to the Anoka-Hennepin district that's made national headlines as a "suicide contagion zone," and I've been working with queer youth organizations a whole lot longer than that. Youth still get thrown under the bus by the mainstream gay rights movement all the time because people have this idiotic idea that randomly throwing money around is going to solve the problem.

Look, it's a good thing that the Trevor Project is getting more money now, but that's not going to continue once something else becomes the liberal feel-good cause du jour. And frankly, even with a ton of money, the Trevor Project's reach is limited. They're first-rate at bringing kids through a crisis point, but without a drastic change in their environments, it's more likely than not that they're going to have one of those crisis points again, and next time they may not decide to call. Sometimes one attempt is enough to get people to pull them out of wherever they are, but some families simply don't have the resources. Those kids are the ones in constant danger; those are the kids who'll try to give it another go because they know that their mom and dad love them and they don't have any other option, and then a few months later will end up in a coffin because it was just too much for them to take.

And all the while that this is happening, the marriage movement continues to soak up the vast majority of the money and pulling poo poo like they did in North Carolina where they run ad after ad about how straight people will be hurt too and won't you please think of your fellow straights when you vote. God forbid that they should have spent money putting a human face on the LGBT community in North Carolina. God forbid that they should have shown one old queer couple who were in danger of losing everything as soon as one of them died. Because humanizing the suffering of minorities has never been effective in winning people over, nope.

Look, I want people to be able to get married. I want to be able to get married, because I know that that's the kind of life I want. But right now the gay rights movement is so myopically focused on marriage as our Holy Grail that we're ignoring a lot of problems that are much more relevant to a lot of people than marriage. And if we continue ignoring them, we run a serious risk of creating a movement that'll pack its bags and go home as soon as marriage happens. I don't want to see other queer people left out in the rain while my white privileged rear end is sitting high and dry.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bel_Canto posted:

God forbid that they should have shown one old queer couple who were in danger of losing everything as soon as one of them died. Because humanizing the suffering of minorities has never been effective in winning people over, nope.

I am sure these gay rights groups secretly don't care about gays and that's why they were running those ads, not that they thought they would be tactically useful in an attempt to block the amendment.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Bel_Canto posted:

People didn't give two shits about bullying and suicide prevention until about a year and a half ago

Uh, yeah. People don't care about things until they do. I agree that the point at which people starting caring should have been about a zillion years ago, but this:

Bel_Canto posted:

in another two years they'll stop giving a poo poo again

is just speculation on your part. You sound like you do great work, and I'm sure you've helped a lot of people, and for that I sincerely, sincerely thank you.

It sounds like you've got a bit of a chip on your shoulder that you and people like you haven't had more attention paid do you. I'd probably be pissed too if I were in your situation. But minimizing the work of others, work that genuinely does help people, doesn't seem like the most effective way to channel that energy.

Listen, I live in Massachusetts and the halo effect or whatever you want to call it from marriage being legalized here has been astonishing to me; my parents used to be the sort of hands of "well, people can do whatever they want, I guess" tepid liberal you might expect from a middle class Boston suburb, but in the years and almost decade since marriage equality happened here I hear them talking really progessively on trans issues, not to mention their full support of gay rights. So yeah, maybe the majority of the time and money is being channeled into marriage right now, but if and when marriage equality passes in a place it doesn't just end there; it's a thing worth fighting for.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bel_Canto posted:

And all the while that this is happening, the marriage movement continues to soak up the vast majority of the money and pulling poo poo like they did in North Carolina where they run ad after ad about how straight people will be hurt too and won't you please think of your fellow straights when you vote. God forbid that they should have spent money putting a human face on the LGBT community in North Carolina. God forbid that they should have shown one old queer couple who were in danger of losing everything as soon as one of them died. Because humanizing the suffering of minorities has never been effective in winning people over, nope.

Hey bro, those ads mainly had those tones because A) Gay marriage was already banned, B) NC is a super homophobic environment, and C) the fact that literally everyone could be hurt by the bill is a totally valid thing to use against it. But yea, you got it right, gay rights group secretly hate gays and wanted to avoid humanizing them because ads in NC represent the entire movement.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rkajdi posted:

I'm not saying Gay Marriage shouldn't be legal or anything like that. But if you can't see society's not-so-subtle push to get people married, I think you need to check your eyesight.

Society's done a poo poo job of that lately:

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2011/05/29/u-s-trends-in-marriage-divorce-and-cohabitation/

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

There is an LGBT bullying law in every state with marriage equality and almost every state with civil unions.
Almost all have LGBT housing, employment, and public accommodation protections and at a minimum employment at the state level.

If you want to complain about the lack of effort put into LGBT issues outside of marriage, you're looking at the wrong states.
There should absolutely be 100% coverage in any state that has reached the point of passing marriage or something like it but this is not a widespread failure.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

Corrupt Politician posted:

My prediction on the long-term prospects for gay marriage in the US:

It seems pretty inevitable that over the next decade or so, most of the more liberal states will recognize gay marriage, but conservative states in the Great Plains and Deep South will undoubtedly hold back. Unless it's enforced federally, I don't see a state like Alabama ever moving forward, just like certain states might never have desegregated schools if the feds hadn't forced them to. Unlike racial discrimination, sexual orientation isn't protected, so it would probably take a constitutional amendment to force states to change, and that will take a long time.

So I see a semi-permanent divide in marriage-equality between liberal and conservative states that might last a generation or more. Thoughts?

The trail to freedom started with Proposition 8: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_v_brown

We are going to the Supreme Court and bringing the 14th Amendment with us.

Medium term prediction: Supreme Court Case upholds same-sex marriage as a right to equal protection of the laws in all 50 states in a 6-3 decision.

Lemonus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 12, 2012

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Maybe this is a question more for a religion thread, but I don't see any around right now:

So Christians are all about Jesus right? I mean they're CHRISTians. So Jesus is New Testament. He came down in the sermon of the mount and he was all "this is the new poo poo, those ways are the old ways, and these are the new ways" and made a new covenant with man, then sealed that covenant in blood when he died on the cross.

So presumably, Christianity should just be "poo poo Jesus Said", and he never said anything about homosexuality, gays, or gays marrying. The most important bits were to love and worship the one true God above all others, fine, k, and then love thy neighbor as you love thyself. It doesn't say, "Unless your neighbor is gay", and most of the stuff you hear about anti-homosexuality comes from the Old Testament, Leviticus particularly, which is just a joke now, right?

Where does the sentiment come from that homosexuality is anti-Christian? Is it just perpetuated by the priests and preachers? From what I've heard the word on it is extremely sparse in the New Testament.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Lemonus posted:

The trail to freedom started with Proposition 8: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_v_brown

We are going to the Supreme Court and bringing the 14th Amendment with us.

Medium term prediction: Supreme Court Case upholds same-sex marriage as a right to equal protection of the laws in all 50 states in a 6-3 decision.
The appeals court ruling was incredibly limited and I don't think SCOTUS will decide on a broader application (like Walker's) in the next year. The ruling explicitly dodges the question of whether it is ever legal to ban same sex marriage because the CA Supreme Court already decided that right existed.

Prop 8 is unique from every other ban on same sex marriage because it only served to repeal rights and the 9th Circuit ruled that was different from declining to extend them in the first place.

Another aspect only applicable to 7 other states is that California had previously granted to all rights minus the word marriage to same sex couples.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

Maybe this is a question more for a religion thread, but I don't see any around right now:

So Christians are all about Jesus right? I mean they're CHRISTians. So Jesus is New Testament. He came down in the sermon of the mount and he was all "this is the new poo poo, those ways are the old ways, and these are the new ways" and made a new covenant with man, then sealed that covenant in blood when he died on the cross.

So presumably, Christianity should just be "poo poo Jesus Said", and he never said anything about homosexuality, gays, or gays marrying. The most important bits were to love and worship the one true God above all others, fine, k, and then love thy neighbor as you love thyself. It doesn't say, "Unless your neighbor is gay", and most of the stuff you hear about anti-homosexuality comes from the Old Testament, Leviticus particularly, which is just a joke now, right?

Where does the sentiment come from that homosexuality is anti-Christian? Is it just perpetuated by the priests and preachers? From what I've heard the word on it is extremely sparse in the New Testament.
Paul is responsible, mostly. The letters he wrote were incredibly influential in the early church and form the basis of Christianity as a religion. The apostles and the very early followers really did consider themselves a sect of Judaism and not an entirely separate religion. Thats actually why you see a surprising amount of circumcision chat after the gospels.

But the early church is a very large topic to cover, honestly it would take a graduate level education to really answer your question.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The appeals court ruling was incredibly limited and I don't think SCOTUS will decide on a broader application (like Walker's) in the next year. The ruling explicitly dodges the question of whether it is ever legal to ban same sex marriage because the CA Supreme Court already decided that right existed.

Prop 8 is unique from every other ban on same sex marriage because it only served to repeal rights and the 9th Circuit ruled that was different from declining to extend them in the first place.

Another aspect only applicable to 7 other states is that California had previously granted to all rights minus the word marriage to same sex couples.

Yeah, as much of a "loss" the 9th circuit decision was, it basically gave the Supreme Court the opportunity to rule Prop. 8 unconstitutional on a much more narrow interpretation than Vaughan Walker's decision would have provided for. Given the Supreme Court's love of ruling on narrow grounds, it's not improbable they'll rule using the 9th's narrow grounds rather than Walker's much broader grounds, and it'll be up to the Massachusetts DOMA case (and even that won't likely help except in getting Federal recognition.)

Making Prop. 8 constitutional is pretty much a lost cause, but if they can limit the harm to California and those few states which have re-banned gay marriage (I think either Maine or New Hampshire was close to this scenario earlier this year?), the anti-gay-marriage groups will have still succeeded at establishing a firewall against other states having to recognize gay marriage.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 12, 2012

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Jan van Lohuizen, a conservative pollster who ran the numbers for George W. Bush's reelection campaign in 2004, just sent this talking points memo to Republican operatives, candidates and insiders:

They see the writing on the wall.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.

B B posted:

Jan van Lohuizen, a conservative pollster who ran the numbers for George W. Bush's reelection campaign in 2004 just sent this talking points memo to Republican operatives, candidates and insiders:

They see the writing on the wall.

Do you have bigger pictures?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Lemonus posted:

Do you have bigger pictures?

Text of the memo is here:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/burns-haberman/2012/05/bush-pollster-change-in-attitudes-on-gay-marriage-123235.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Nobody has managed to re-ban marriage. NH tried and failed horribly.

They could make a very narrow ruling that only applied to California, but there's a suit out of Nevada and there's no way to rule in their favor without having it apply to all states with civil unions.

But that could easily be in 2015 so turning civil unions into marriage wouldn't be very controversial.

e:

quote:

People who disagree on the fundamental nature of marriage can agree, at the same time, that gays and lesbians should receive essential rights and protections such as hospital visitation, adoption rights, and health and death benefits.
I'm sure social conservatives will be thrilled with this.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 12, 2012

• Locked thread