Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I do love how quickly the priest went from horrified to outraged

e: VVV The giants are huge, impossible to hide, clearly related to human beings and there's obviously an agenda behind them. Only the most hardcore of religious nuts will refuse accept how entirely earthly and materialistic the titan threat is after seeing a dead/sleeping giant embedded in a wall

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hackbunny posted:

I wonder how recent events will affect church membership.

Hugs Boson
Feb 3, 2011

Elementary.

hackbunny posted:

Yeah, although him shouting "You must not come any closer to the wall!" at Annie sounds mighty suspicious in retrospect. Maybe the church knows about the wall being a giant brick-and-mortar titan piņata? Who built those walls, anyway?.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Hugs Boson posted:

Yeah, although him shouting "You must not come any closer to the wall!" at Annie sounds mighty suspicious in retrospect. Maybe the church knows about the wall being a giant brick-and-mortar titan piņata? Who built those walls, anyway?.

Oh wow, good point. They probably thought that religion was a good way to keep people from asking too many questions, but I think it will backfire on them, both in terms of disillusioned people and the inevitable breeding of a fanatic fringe

Eren revealing himself as a titan precipitated one hell of a situation

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Yessss, have some of that, ye bitch.

I'm sorry, but "Daddy told me to be a complete oval office my whole life, so I am" is not a tenable arguement for killing dozens and dozens of people.

Also, it looks like that titan was buried to keep it subdued - it's eyes look like it was lobotomized, or like it's just about to wake up from a long sleep. The reaction to sunlight makes sense in that case.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

hackbunny posted:

Annie did look like she was just escaping, and not intentionally meaning to expose the entombed titan. Which probably means the walls are absolutely full of dead titans. I'm having Evangelion graveyard flashbacks

Unlikely. Walls have gone down before, and if they had titans in them I imagine this is something people would have known by now.

On the other hand, she had basically no problems whatsoever loving that wall up, which begs the question: why haven't the titans just knocked all the walls down? Is it because they know there's titans in the walls and don't want to kill their friends?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

This is like "WHAT THE gently caress IS EVEN GOING ON?": The Series.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Sanguinia posted:

No, that would be Gantz. This is great though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sanguinia posted:

Nah, it's more of an "OH poo poo" the series.

Also, this chapter works great when set alongside Prelude to War.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Vincent Valentine posted:

Unlikely. Walls have gone down before, and if they had titans in them I imagine this is something people would have known by now.

On the other hand, she had basically no problems whatsoever loving that wall up, which begs the question: why haven't the titans just knocked all the walls down? Is it because they know there's titans in the walls and don't want to kill their friends?

None of the walls (mostly the gates from what I remember) were taken out by the normal, non-human piloted titans, and both non-fifty metre titans who did damage the wall did the whole metallic skin thing.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
This manga is so bloody great. Every new surprising turn it takes is something that seems out of the blue at first but is actually sensible upon rereading. It's almost as if... Hajime Isayama has a plan and isn't making things up he goes along like most comic authors?

drat I love Advance of the Giants Attack on Titan.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Yomtom posted:

New chapter is out http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/33

:stare:

:suspense: is pretty much the exact reaction I had to this chapter. Very well done, and it raises a ton more questions that may have been foreshadowed earlier and we just missed it. Because of how deep within the city this particular series of walls is, is it possible that unlike the exterior walls they have never been breached? Maybe only the very innermost sorts of walls have a Titan in them, or maybe just this one spot for some reason.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Goddamn Mikasa you are one ice cold mother fucker.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Isn't it likely to think that the titans are simply wanting to get into the city to help their entombed titan dude out of the wall?

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
That chapter was so good it felt so short.

Nilbop posted:

Yessss, have some of that, ye bitch.

I'm sorry, but "Daddy told me to be a complete oval office my whole life, so I am" is not a tenable arguement for killing dozens and dozens of people.

Also, it looks like that titan was buried to keep it subdued - it's eyes look like it was lobotomized, or like it's just about to wake up from a long sleep. The reaction to sunlight makes sense in that case.

Totally agree, except it was over a hundred people, she single handedly wiped out a third of the scouting legion. Annie was sadistic while doing it too, if you remember the team at the windmill. She enjoyed twirling the guy at the end of the rope around and kicking the team leader's horse. Rivaille said as much to her while on her head about enjoyng killing.

In any case what she and the other human titans are doing might be for the greater good of humanity because maybe they are fighting a shadow war with the central authority behind all this for the general populations sake but mudering all those people is impossible to forgive, she crossed the line. Her father might have been hinting at this in his words.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Maybe the human titans are in on the conspiracy. It has been put forward before that the loss of land might be a way for the people behind all this (the King?) to gain more control over the population.

Illuyankas posted:

None of the walls (mostly the gates from what I remember) were taken out by the normal, non-human piloted titans, and both non-fifty metre titans who did damage the wall did the whole metallic skin thing.

Yeah, normal titans don't have those hard pointy fingers, she must've been doing something.

Sindai posted:

Yeah, best to make a personal note never to cross Mikasa.

Mo_Steel posted:

:suspense: is pretty much the exact reaction I had to this chapter. Very well done, and it raises a ton more questions that may have been foreshadowed earlier and we just missed it. Because of how deep within the city this particular series of walls is, is it possible that unlike the exterior walls they have never been breached? Maybe only the very innermost sorts of walls have a Titan in them, or maybe just this one spot for some reason.

They could be using titans as mortar for the walls. It has been done before, the Great Wall of China was in part made with the remains of the people condemed to build it. But then that raises the question of how they got a live titan in the wall in the first place.

Simstim fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 12, 2012

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Uh, am I the only one seeing the connection between us finding out that the Church's "Group Prayer Stance" is joining arms and making a circular wall of humans, and finding out that the circular walls around the city are full of Titans in the same chapter?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cuchulain posted:

Uh, am I the only one seeing the connection between us finding out that the Church's "Group Prayer Stance" is joining arms and making a circular wall of humans, and finding out that the circular walls around the city are full of Titans in the same chapter?

I think the prayer stance is more of a representation of the actual walls that protect them, since they pray to the walls.

Having them be full of titans or at least 1 is just like Welp there's that religion down the drain.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

Simstim posted:

They could be using titans as mortar for the walls. It has been done before, the Great Wall of China was in part made with the remains of the people condemed to build it. But then that raises the question of how they got a live titan in the wall in the first place.

As for how, there's that earlier chapter where they reinforce the wall by putting harpoons on it and having titans run into it. Though I don't see what the advantage is from a structural sense.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
So that's how they built such large walls :haw:

Sindai posted:

Fall. :colbert:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I don't see how the walls can be full of titans. It would weaken the walls, be incredibly difficult, and given the number of people you'd have to involve and the scale of the job, it would be impossible to keep secret. And I don't see why they'd do it anyway.

It just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the story. It's not clever enough.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Simstim posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just a myth. No one builds lasting structures with dead people inside, it's horrible for structural integrity. The people who do that are mob goombas without any engineering cares or training looking to hide a body.

Of course it may be that Titans could turn out to be super awesome wall filler due to their vastly different physiology than human bodies.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Titans regenerate endlessly. They may slow down when deprived of sunlight, but I don't think they ever really stop.

Feriowind
Mar 22, 2009

But how does it taste?
The Uniqlo on 5th Ave in Manhattan is currently selling Attack on Titan t-shirts!! I bought 2 myself, but they're selling like 4 different designs.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Christ I just cannot get past how dumb that name is. The shirts look pretty cool though!

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
It's just such a lackluster B-movie type name, which is deceiving because the series is anything but.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Advance of the Giants sounds like a lackluster C-movie title, so there's that.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

HenryEx posted:

Advance of the Giants sounds like a lackluster C-movie title, so there's that.

But Attack on Titan makes me think of exactly that, an attack on the moon Titan, not giants.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Simstim posted:

But Attack on Titan makes me think of exactly that, an attack on the moon Titan, not giants.

Maybe it's cause the giants are attacking the city whose buildings and walls are made out of moon cheese :tinfoil:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Simstim posted:

You have probably just solved the eventual big reveal.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
The name Attack on Titan makes a lot more sense with the latest chapter.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!

Simstim posted:

Yeah, best to make a personal note never to cross Mikasa.

That's why she can't be a human-giant, at least yet. If she were, the series would have to be called Retreat From That Titan.

I kind of like the Attack on Titan in the context of secondary material like shirts. It has that muddled mistranslation feel, making the artwork even more surreal and giving me and excuse to wear it (I don't even wear shirts with a visible logo, but those are nice shirts).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Hodgepodge posted:

That's why she can't be a human-giant, at least yet. If she were, the series would have to be called Retreat From That Titan.

That would completely reverse the roles. Instead of humans getting screwed all the time, Titans would be getting screwed all the time. Which would shatter my mind if it actually happened in the series.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Feriowind posted:

The Uniqlo on 5th Ave in Manhattan is currently selling Attack on Titan t-shirts!! I bought 2 myself, but they're selling like 4 different designs.

That is the most goofy-rear end font they could have possibly chosen to represent a comic book about giant monsters consuming humanity, both literally and figuratively.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Hodgepodge posted:

Prediction: later in the manga, Mikasa gets titan powers, and will have special titan 3d gear made for her titan form. She'll then use that to kill the colossal titan, and Eren will brood about this.

But seriously, Eren had better get some better Titan powers or he's just going to keep getting owned by other human titans.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is Uniqlo some kind of Hot Topic-style store where they cater to a very specific demographic (in this case anime and games)? I keep seeing people post their t-shirts and it's always stuff I'd never have thought to see on a thing people would wear.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Pierson posted:

Is Uniqlo some kind of Hot Topic-style store where they cater to a very specific demographic (in this case anime and games)? I keep seeing people post their t-shirts and it's always stuff I'd never have thought to see on a thing people would wear.

Its a japanese clothing store, kind of like a japanese Old Navy (in real Japan) and they often sell graphic tees with pop culture stuff on it. Like shirts with robocop on them and poo poo. Being Japan, their graphic tees sometimes deal with anime and manga.

They are not anything like hot topic. Their regular clothes are really fit and comfy for skinny people.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!

ANIME AKBAR posted:

But seriously, Eren had better get some better Titan powers or he's just going to keep getting owned by other human titans.

I think the idea is that Annie is both more knowledgeable about her Titan form and just straight-up the better hand to hand fighter. Which is nice because it keep the tone of the series to have the main character get his Shonen-protagonist-powers only to be repeatedly and brutally outclassed by an enemy.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Hodgepodge posted:

I think the idea is that Annie is both more knowledgeable about her Titan form and just straight-up the better hand to hand fighter. Which is nice because it keep the tone of the series to have the main character get his Shonen-protagonist-powers only to be repeatedly and brutally outclassed by an enemy.

Eh, it's not really anything new or different though. Most Shonen-protagonist-powers are good for a fight maybe two then they are outclassed and then fall into the repeating cycle of power up-> kick rear end-> get outclassed-> power up -> kick rear end-> get outclassed-> rinse and repeat.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

SirDan3k posted:

Eh, it's not really anything new or different though. Most Shonen-protagonist-powers are good for a fight maybe two then they are outclassed and then fall into the repeating cycle of power up-> kick rear end-> get outclassed-> power up -> kick rear end-> get outclassed-> rinse and repeat.

Except our protagonist doesn't get better, just angrier. His refusal to stop fighting is also on par with the black knight from Monty Python.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Nasgate posted:

Except our protagonist doesn't get better, just angrier. His refusal to stop fighting is also on par with the black knight from Monty Python.

It's also a reflection of the tone of the manga in that you don't get super-powers just because you could really, really use them. Even if you've been training. Even if you're super angry.