Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think finite worlds would really be an issue so long as they are big enough for the player to have plenty of space to explore. Dwarf Fortress as finite worlds but you could never really exhaust all the resources in a world since they're so big. The problem I see with this is that biomes would be so large that trying to get biome exclusive resources would be a pain in the rear end. Also, the environment would start to feel repetitive really quickly. However, this could be countered by giving all the biomes more features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

I think more variance in elevation is what the game needs. Ideally, I'd like to see the build limit increased again (hell, might as well double it to 512) and have the land actually use most of that space. Right now, the overworld's land only goes from 64 (sea level) to ~110 at the tops of the tallest mountains. I know I've said this before, but if we could have actual major landscapes then there'd be a lot more interesting places to build and explore.

Of course, if something like this happened then we would also need various improvements for moving vertically. Climbing a mountain a few hundred blocks tall would be nearly impossible without some means of climbing straight up a cliff, and a tall building would need some sort of craftable elevator so that you didn't have to deal with the slow speed of ladders.

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster

Doniazade posted:

They should copy the map generation from Dwarf Fortress. Geology, erosion, humidity, temperature, proper biomes... Hell, Toady and Mojang should get together and make the best loving sandbox game ever.

Toady loving hates Minecraft and Notch because they supposedly copied his game (which is completely ridiculous- what, they both have mining?)

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You spend so much time below the surface that I'd really like to see more underground biomes. Abandoned mineshafts were definitely a step in the right direction. More of that sort of thing, with their own unique enemy types (like poison spiders) would just be grand.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Vargs posted:

You spend so much time below the surface that I'd really like to see more underground biomes. Abandoned mineshafts were definitely a step in the right direction. More of that sort of thing, with their own unique enemy types (like poison spiders) would just be grand.

When giant mushrooms were announced I really expected to have giant glowing underground mushroom biomes.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Hadlock posted:

I seriously doubt Notch is paying his staff less than $80,000/yr, with Jeb making substantially more.

Keep in mind that all those people that work there are crucial members of a highly successful startup - you have to pay them well enough to keep them. VC money will lure programmers to other startups otherwise. My buddy keeps getting offers of $70-85k to go work for other startups almost weekly, and the company he works for is nowhere as visible as a company like Mojang.

Don't forget he gave them like a million dollars each too.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Yeah didn't he give his staff his stock dividends which were ungodly large?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Laser Spider posted:

I think more variance in elevation is what the game needs. Ideally, I'd like to see the build limit increased again (hell, might as well double it to 512) and have the land actually use most of that space. Right now, the overworld's land only goes from 64 (sea level) to ~110 at the tops of the tallest mountains. I know I've said this before, but if we could have actual major landscapes then there'd be a lot more interesting places to build and explore.

Of course, if something like this happened then we would also need various improvements for moving vertically. Climbing a mountain a few hundred blocks tall would be nearly impossible without some means of climbing straight up a cliff, and a tall building would need some sort of craftable elevator so that you didn't have to deal with the slow speed of ladders.

A grappling hook like the one in Terraria would solve so many problems with vertical movement.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I seriously doubt Notch is paying his staff less than $80,000/yr, with Jeb making substantially more.

Keep in mind that all those people that work there are crucial members of a highly successful startup - you have to pay them well enough to keep them. VC money will lure programmers to other startups otherwise. My buddy keeps getting offers of $70-85k to go work for other startups almost weekly, and the company he works for is nowhere as visible as a company like Mojang.

Even if everyone working on Minecraft made $100k a year that is still only 1/8th of what the game makes in a month (or 1.04% of what Minecraft PC earns them in a year) if you count the bukkit team and the guys working on the Pocket edition.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

That came from Notch's stock dividends and was either going to go back into the company's revenue or go to their employees as a bonus. He took 3 Million (before taxes) and split it between all of Mojang's employees, he didn't give them a million each (note I am not bitching over this, it was a very kind gesture on his part). If distributed equally among all of their staff it would come out to be around $120k before they paid taxes on it.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 12, 2012

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Acallapani posted:

Toady loving hates Minecraft and Notch because they supposedly copied his game (which is completely ridiculous- what, they both have mining?)

Wow, I had no idea that Toady was all angry about MC. The two games being crossbred and creating a third would basically mean me never...ever..leaving the house again.

Straight up, I honestly don't think I'd ever buy another game if they combined the best aspects of both of them together. It'd be nerdbuilder/manager bliss.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Toady doesn't hate Notch, he just didn't like how the game was being developed and stated that when you step back and analyze the actual content of the game, his opinion was that the game didn't deserve the amount of attention it gets. I have a feeling it was more Toady wondering why people compare his game to Minecraft when really they are very far apart from each other.

Unless I am blind, but I can't find anything on Toady ever bitching loudly about Minecraft of Notch outside the above "I'm not sure what the big deal is" quote back during early beta.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Enzer posted:

Toady doesn't hate Notch, he just didn't like how the game was being developed and stated that when you step back and analyze the actual content of the game, his opinion was that the game didn't deserve the amount of attention it gets. I have a feeling it was more Toady wondering why people compare his game to Minecraft when really they are very far apart from each other.

Unless I am blind, but I can't find anything on Toady ever bitching loudly about Minecraft of Notch outside the above "I'm not sure what the big deal is" quote back during early beta.

It's probably one of those stupid things where people misinterpreted a statement and blew everything out of proportion. Like how people still think that the Yogscast folks told children to go gently caress themselves or something equally ridiculous that ended up being untrue.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Vargs posted:

Agreed, hell just some variation in rock colour would be nice. How about some biomes have brown or red rock instead of grey?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Speaking of underground stuff, I thought this was pretty neat since it formed naturally.

A minesfat generated right on the ocean floor above a ravine so the water flowed down in two large columns.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Veotax posted:

Agreed, hell just some variation in rock colour would be nice. How about some biomes have brown or red rock instead of grey?

The rock texture's already greyscale, they could just apply the same kind of biome filter stuff that grass gets to give it a bunch of subtle hues that could be customised via texture pack. So you could have rainbow-coloured candy rock all over the place if you wanted.

Maybe someone should mod this.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Doniazade posted:

They should copy the map generation from Dwarf Fortress. Geology, erosion, humidity, temperature, proper biomes... Hell, Toady and Mojang should get together and make the best loving sandbox game ever.
The day Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress are combined into one game is the day that game stops needing humans to play it.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!

Fuego Fish posted:

The rock texture's already greyscale, they could just apply the same kind of biome filter stuff that grass gets to give it a bunch of subtle hues that could be customised via texture pack. So you could have rainbow-coloured candy rock all over the place if you wanted.

Maybe someone should mod this.
Screw that. I'd much rather see someone mod in the ability to do that to wools. It would be awesome to have 256 wool colors by breeding sheep and mixing dyes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fuego Fish posted:

The rock texture's already greyscale, they could just apply the same kind of biome filter stuff that grass gets to give it a bunch of subtle hues that could be customised via texture pack.

But then all rock would still look the same in a given location.

MickRaider posted:

Screw that. I'd much rather see someone mod in the ability to do that to wools. It would be awesome to have 256 wool colors by breeding sheep and mixing dyes.

That may seem like a good idea, but I'd be pretty pissed if they implemented something like that before they added more stone.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 12, 2012

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Everything in the game should be dyeable really.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Dr. Dos posted:

I know I for one would love to have stained glass an option.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Schwarzwald posted:

But then all rock would still look the same in a given location.

True, but you'd be able to tell where you were underground! Sandy rock means it's a desert, a light blue tint means it's snow, an earthy green-brown hue means you're under a swamp... it could be useful!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dr. Dos posted:

It'd be nice if you could make colored structures out of stuff other than wool.

Akito12345
Apr 29, 2010

:duane:
I made a thing yesterday. Yes I know it's a mattock but I don't care :sigh:

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Is there a Seperate thread for xbox?
if not my tag is PuppetpalhoneyB, I like to make stuff and chill out.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Dr. Dos posted:

If I had the knowledge, I'd make that mod. I've been thinking about it for some time and it's really something that could spice up the world. Green stones, pink-ish obsidian and blue dirt blocks. I could be living in an ever changing technicolor world!

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

Iacen posted:

If I had the knowledge, I'd make that mod. I've been thinking about it for some time and it's really something that could spice up the world. Green stones, pink-ish obsidian and blue dirt blocks. I could be living in an ever changing technicolor world!

If fairly sure I've seen a mod that did this awhile back.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
I'd love a more detailed world generation, something that simulated tectonics, uplift and erosion and different rock types. It'd be pretty cool if tunneling down took you through different rock beds instead of all grey stone all the time.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It's called hippoplatimuss paint mod and it's still available IIRC. Also Vib Rib made Stained Glass mod in beta I think it was and it still might be updated by someone.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Sunday Punch posted:

I'd love a more detailed world generation, something that simulated tectonics, uplift and erosion and different rock types. It'd be pretty cool if tunneling down took you through different rock beds instead of all grey stone all the time.

Terrafirmacraft has a lot of different rock stuff (and rock beds) but it doesn't simulate tectonics etc. A recent patch also increased the default ground height by 64 blocks or so. It's very much beta with constant updates that change a lot of stuff and is very hardcore.

Nevermind the redpower stuff in this picture but you can see the layers of rock

All ore deposits are large too and not a small cluster.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Awesome Andy posted:

Yup, it's got the 'Art' thread tag. I'd link you but I'm on my phone.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know how big mineshafts usually are? It feels like there's no end to this one.

Not that I'm really complaining. It's located so far down that there's diamonds all over the walls, and in the many chests I've found.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Awesome Andy posted:

The Xbox spergcraft thread is this way. Come join us:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483808

Popeadactyl
Jul 28, 2009

dumb and gay
Chodegoblin's Fart Factory is a 24 player Survival Server on Minecraft. I bought it yesterday and I would really like a few knowledgable players to help me ADMIN.

Here's the information:

Chodegoblin's Fart Factory
IP: 69.25.207.242
Port: 25565

I own and ADMIN the two main goon Battlefield 3 servers on Xbox, but this is pretty foreign to me. Any help is appreciated.

Kragdar
Jan 27, 2006

I do say boyz, we got us a right an' proper WAAAAGH! on our hands.

Popeadactyl posted:

Chodegoblin's Fart Factory is a 24 player Survival Server on Minecraft. I bought it yesterday and I would really like a few knowledgable players to help me ADMIN.

Here's the information:

Chodegoblin's Fart Factory
IP: 69.25.207.242
Port: 25565

I own and ADMIN the two main goon Battlefield 3 servers on Xbox, but this is pretty foreign to me. Any help is appreciated.

me and my GF are playing on it as Metrodextrous and Gjakogi

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Does anyone know how big mineshafts usually are? It feels like there's no end to this one.

Not that I'm really complaining. It's located so far down that there's diamonds all over the walls, and in the many chests I've found.

They range from "one chunk" to "the size of the known universe."

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Every time I play a world I seem to run into either an enormous cave system that is almost impossible to fully navigate in any kind of reasonable amount of time or a mineshaft. If I start my own world, I'll play for a bit and when I head underground I hit one. My friend put up a survival server for a few of us to mess around on and we decided to build our rooms together underground and after we dug out the hallway literally two blocks deep from where we decided my room was going to be was a underground ravine. When I moved to the opposite side and picked a new spot I managed to uncover yet another loving huge cave system that was completely separate from that.

The cave systems I can just kind of ignore if I don't want to deal with them sometimes, but mineshafts are the worst. They're stupidly huge so when I find one I might as well just give up and go through it because even if I try to dig away from it I just end up going to a different unexplored part of 80% of the time. And it doesn't even help to light up the area most of the time because it's so huge that monsters just spawn outside my lit up areas and wander in, not to mention the spawners. Most of the time I just end up blocking off the end of areas I've already been to just so I don't have to worry about creepers and other stuff.

gently caress Mineshafts. If they were sized differently so they could be two or three chunks large maximum rarely, and normally much, much smaller then I'd enjoy them a lot more. Right now they're responsible for making me abandon a ton of different areas just because I'm sick of dealing with them.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 13, 2012

Greedish
Nov 5, 2009

what does this say
i don't even know
help
[cross-post from minecraft modding]

Hey, I'm working on starting a Minecraft video series with a few friends and I need some plugins to help me do some stuff. What I need specifically is something that allows me to change player names and player skins. I've found one that lets you change names and that changes your skin to that player's skin, but I need something that lets you change both independently so I don't have to buy a hundred minecraft accounts, one for each name.

I'm currently working with Spoutcraft, does anyone know of a plugin that is able to do what I need?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

So I'm playing on my WoW guild's minecraft server. Doing super good. Built a base in a ravine down at diamond level and have some enchanted stuff so I go mining. Stumble upon a mineshaft that leads to another mineshaft that seems to be endless and I'm exploring mineshafts for days and stumble on to a huge cave system. I mean huge. I have a stack of gold, a stack of iron, tons of other poo poo, about 30-35 diamonds, and then a creeper shows up out of nowhere while I'm mining some coal and blows a hole in the floor and I fall in to lava and die. gently caress this game.

My question is, what do you guys do when stuff like that happens? I just exited out and took a break and did other poo poo but I want to play again. I really don't want to have to get alllll those diamonds and experience I had back. This game is the best thing and the worst thing.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rurea posted:

So I'm playing on my WoW guild's minecraft server. Doing super good. Built a base in a ravine down at diamond level and have some enchanted stuff so I go mining. Stumble upon a mineshaft that leads to another mineshaft that seems to be endless and I'm exploring mineshafts for days and stumble on to a huge cave system. I mean huge. I have a stack of gold, a stack of iron, tons of other poo poo, about 30-35 diamonds, and then a creeper shows up out of nowhere while I'm mining some coal and blows a hole in the floor and I fall in to lava and die. gently caress this game.

My question is, what do you guys do when stuff like that happens? I just exited out and took a break and did other poo poo but I want to play again. I really don't want to have to get alllll those diamonds and experience I had back. This game is the best thing and the worst thing.

You get TooManyItems and go to town :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Wrist Watch posted:

gently caress Mineshafts. If they were sized differently so they could be two or three chunks large maximum rarely, and normally much, much smaller then I'd enjoy them a lot more. Right now they're responsible for making me abandon a ton of different areas just because I'm sick of dealing with them.

Oddly enough you posted this as I was exploring a mineshaft. I spent an hour down in it collecting resources I don't even really need. After that trip I can probably build a house out of Iron blocks.