Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Zorkon posted:

If you're a thief starting out, don't pick your nose

This advice is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zeether posted:

I've heard of people getting it to work on Windows 7/Vista, but there's a physics glitch on certain video cards where tanks and sometimes even your mech will bounce :haw:

I managed to get it running under windows 7 but it took ages to do and was a pain in the backside. Even then I spent ages with it randomly speeding up and slowing down as I was playing, and yeah, the bouncy tank thing was present. I tried turning off hardware acceleration and not only did it look really lovely, but on the first training mission I walked three steps and fell through the ground.

It's still a great game if you can get it to run, but drat it looks like it was coded weird.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Haha, yes, Zeus and Poseidon are just as good as I remember them to be. How many city-building games let you full-on invade distant cities if you build up an army?

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Could not resist and bought Cryostasis (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/cryostasis).

Never heard of it, metacritic score is kinda low, but from the description and screenshots, seems like a really unique game. People say is plagued by technical issues (low framerates etc), but at 5 bucks is worth a try.

Anyone here ever played this game?

I played it and loved it. It is pretty rough around the edges and terribly optimized as the others said but the story is really great and i think it is one of the few games that gets interactive storytelling right. It is sort of like system shock or bioshock but doesn`t rely on the horrible audiolog mechanic to tell it's story.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Could not resist and bought Cryostasis (http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/cryostasis).

Never heard of it, metacritic score is kinda low, but from the description and screenshots, seems like a really unique game. People say is plagued by technical issues (low framerates etc), but at 5 bucks is worth a try.

Anyone here ever played this game?

There's a performance mod that you might want to try here. I can't vouch for it personally, but it's worth a try.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
For those interested in Gametap, they've recently fully upgraded to a new client. It's still web-based but it's usable now. I have been using it this month with no problems after noticing Tropico 4 and its expansion is on there now. I've also been playing Pirates, a bullet hell shooter called Exceed 3, and a board game called Zooloretto. Worth the price of admission in my opinion.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

El Generico posted:

For those interested in Gametap, they've recently fully upgraded to a new client. It's still web-based but it's usable now. I have been using it this month with no problems after noticing Tropico 4 and its expansion is on there now. I've also been playing Pirates, a bullet hell shooter called Exceed 3, and a board game called Zooloretto. Worth the price of admission in my opinion.

Poor Gametap - it's been lagging really far behind ever since they were bought out by Metaboli. They've only JUST got the new web-based client? EU folks have had that for.. well, all of this year so far at least.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I adore the Ceaser series (especially Ceaser 2). I've never tried Zeus before aaaand... I'm loving it! I think it's better than Ceaser, just seems a lot easier to play, gets out of your way and lets you build the city you want without getting in your way of your goal. Roadblocks are a really neat simple solution to a huge problem. I'd recommend it to anyone that likes city builder games.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Dragonrah posted:

Here's some more stuff

Save Often; you'll die a lot.

Don’t get caught out of town after dark, you will die when you sleep.

If you do get locked out of town, you have some options

You can: Climb the walls into town at two spots. Sleep in Erana’s Peace area, or work for a room in the stables.

Don’t steal/climb/sneak around in front of people; you’ll get busted.

Part of the fun of these games (at least for me) is finding new ways to die. Experiment and save often.

My brother, you forgot that you can also sleep at 'enry the 'ermit's house.

And if you're running out of stamina buy some vigor potions from the healer, you cheap bastard!

But really, the fun of Quest for Glory is not found in being told what you can do, it's in discovering it for yourself.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Dominic White posted:

Poor Gametap - it's been lagging really far behind ever since they were bought out by Metaboli. They've only JUST got the new web-based client? EU folks have had that for.. well, all of this year so far at least.

It has been in open beta a long time, just now officially released.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Heres my Cryostatis 2c from my Steam recommendation:
"Truly underappreciated game with some engaging & unique storytelling methods that makes you wish other FPS would think outside the box. Atmosphere is genuinely creepy without too many cheap scares. Weapons feel visceral to use & winning every fight feels like an accomplishment, rather than the repition of "fire, reload, next" found in so many other games. Ammo conservation is critical, but the first chaper or two has you exclusively using melee weapons, so there is always something to fall back on.

Not without a few annoyances & FPS performance drops in places, but that is to be expected from a small dev team. Boss fights in particular can have a such a sharp difficulty spike I checked online to see if I missed picking up a weapon. A word of warning: save your flares, they're in comically short supply & you'll know when you really need to use them!

A very solid 8/10, and a must play for fans of System Shock 2 or the marine campaign of AVP2"

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Dominic White posted:

Gametap's been dead to me since the Metaboli merger. Metaboli wasted no time running them into the ground.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

macnbc posted:

Gametap's been dead to me since the Metaboli merger. Metaboli wasted no time running them into the ground.

I was going to say...GameTap is still around? I thought it died years ago when the merger happened and it lost most of it's game catalogue worth a poo poo.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I'm trying to follow my rules for the backlog blog, but I really want to get into Quest for Glory soon. Somebody earlier said to play the remake of 1 first, but can you import your character file into 2 just like the original? Or are you forced to go into the fan remake of 2? I'd like to know, I kind of like the older graphics because that's what I played when I was younger. Makes me feel old though...

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

The remake of QfG1 is able to import its save into old QfG2 no problem.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

antidote posted:

The remake of QfG1 is able to import its save into old QfG2 no problem.
Despite both working just fine, and despite the graphics being way better in the remake, I still prefer playing the original. I just feel like the original graphics have more...character. Of course, this is probably nostalgia, I played the first game back when it was new, before it was even called quest for glory.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

It's been mentioned a couple of times already but I need to flog the QFG2 fan remake like a dead horse. It's not just a graphics thing, it's a complete overhaul of the game. Dialogue trees with a text-parser option instead of text-parsing only. Updated GUI. Combat is actually interestingly done (albeit some enemies are cheap as gently caress). Interesting new side quests (such as wizard games with Aziza and Keapon Laffin) and easter eggs that fit seamlessly into the game. Added dialogue by the original creators.

Buy the originals, get the fan remake.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Has the bug in QFG4 where the guy in the inn who gives you the doll disappears before you get what you need from him been patched? Or did nobody ever manage to fix it?

Are there any other patches that aren't pre-applied and need to be applied before playing? Sierra games are notorious for stories copies of bits of game code in the save file, which means the bug may persist if the save is loaded post-patch.

Edit: Also, there's apparently a crash bug near the end of 5.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 12, 2012

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Its unclear at this point what additional patches have been applied to the CD version of Qfg4. For that particular bug make sure you sleep at the inn & get woken up in the middle of the night to speak to the domovoi before day 5.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Important tip for playing Zeus: when you're in a building tab, click on the magnifying glass to open up an options menu for stuff related to that. You can switch off industries you don't need that way (so you don't drown your storehouses in fleece you're not using or so on).

Also: Dionysus Toga Party! Hell yeah!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

dud root posted:

Its unclear at this point what additional patches have been applied to the CD version of Qfg4. For that particular bug make sure you sleep at the inn & get woken up in the middle of the night to speak to the domovoi before day 5.

Hell of a thing for GOG to not make clear. Schrodinger's Cat all up in this bitch.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

Charles Martel posted:

I was going to say...GameTap is still around? I thought it died years ago when the merger happened and it lost most of it's game catalogue worth a poo poo.

I dunno man, aside from all the old Sega Genesis and Capcom arcade stuff, it seems like everything is intact. I just gave 'em ten bucks for a month of Premium account, it'll give me a chance to try out Mount and Blade, Dawn of War, Blood Bowl and the Tropico games.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

The source code to 3 has been lost apparently and it is impossible to get working on any Windows later than XP.

Plenty of the games GOG releases don't have source anymore and GOG manages to get them working regardless. It makes it harder but by no means impossible.

HoldYourFire posted:

Their publisher might have retained digital distribution rights separately for some reason. Or if the game came out before that was even a consideration, the contract might not allow for it.

It was self-published!

My best guess is "the installer chokes when not run from a CD, and we cannot be arsed to make the CD image available for download or rebuild the installer to run from disk".

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

dud root posted:

Around Day 3, you can just wander into the inn from outside (climbing required) at the middle of the night and go downstairs, then leave the inn and go back to the good sleeping spot.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

My best guess is "the installer chokes when not run from a CD, and we cannot be arsed to make the CD image available for download or rebuild the installer to run from disk".

Dealing with this sort of problem is part of what GOG.com unique. With services like Steam, it's the publisher's/indie developer's responsibility to handle that sort of thing, and thus many companies just don't bother. GOG.com offers that as one of its standard services.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

macnbc posted:

Time-Warner ran it into the ground, blowing most of their money on streaming TV content rather than licensing games. By the time TW sold off the company, they'd not added anything of note in about six months.

Look at the Metaboli UK games library - they're got a lot of good stuff in there, and usually add something of note every week or two.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

If I recall right, the issue with King of Dragon Pass is that if they retool the game to have all of the new iOS stuff, old saves will be incompatible. This is apparently such a massive no-no that the developers utterly refuse to do it.

It can't just be the "it requires a CD" thing. After all, if that was true, exactly how did they get it to work for iOS?

Basically, they saw the money in converting the game to iOS, they do not see the money in converting it back to Windows.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 13, 2012

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tallgeese posted:

If I recall right, the issue with King of Dragon Pass is that if they retool the game to have all of the new iOS stuff, old saves will be incompatible. This is apparently such a massive no-no that the developers utterly refuse to do it.

What has changed, apart from the controls?

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
That's a massive shame because I've had my eye on that game for forever but getting a physical CD shipped in costs double what the game is worth in shipping and taxes here.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

THE BAR posted:

What has changed, apart from the controls?

Supposedly, event IDs and such were changed in such a way that loading an old save would break things.

EDIT: You may be wondering why I am putting "supposedly" and so on here. The info I state in this post is from the blog, but honestly I do not believe any of them are the real reason.

It's because it's very obvious that the real reason is that the developers just do not want to. None of the given reasons for it really make any sense, not even the CD thing. Exactly what arcane sorcery would allow you to take a game that absolutely requires a CD on one operating system, put it onto a whole different operating system without that nagging issue along with various improvements, but then doesn't let you put it back onto the original OS?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 13, 2012

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tallgeese posted:

It's because it's very obvious that the real reason is that the developers just do not want to. None of the given reasons for it really make any sense, not even the CD thing. Exactly what arcane sorcery would allow you to take a game that absolutely requires a CD on one operating system, put it onto a whole different operating system without that nagging issue along with various improvements, but then doesn't let you put it back onto the original OS?

Professional integrity, they should see it as a challenge to their vocation!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Were any of the other Soul Reaver games besides 1 ever ported to PC (and due for an upcoming GOG release)? I played all the way through the first one but never finished the others and wanted to know if SR 2 & 3 were somewhere on the GOG horizon.

AkaiNami
Sep 2, 2011
Yes all games were released on the PC. I'm excited to finally play them all besides Soul Reaver 1 and Defiance.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Time-Warner ran it into the ground, blowing most of their money on streaming TV content rather than licensing games. By the time TW sold off the company, they'd not added anything of note in about six months.

Look at the Metaboli UK games library - they're got a lot of good stuff in there, and usually add something of note every week or two.

The problem, of course, is that Metaboli always handled their UK service much better than GameTap. After the purchase Metaboli continued to improve their catalog with good titles while GameTap saw a trickle of shovelware while hemorrhaging all the good games. Combine that with a lovely bloated web plugin that never worked and constant game corruption, price hikes and a near inability to cancel your account, GameTap turned into a giant broken mess. Whatever you can say about GameTap under TW at least you could actually use the client to play some decent games, which is more than you can say for Gametap under Metaboli.

I never understood it--if Metaboli had moved their UK catalog to GameTap and produced a client that actually worked, GameTap would have made more money. As it is customers left in droves.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
^^^^ That exactly.

I actually was a moderator on their forums (I probably still have privileges come to think of it, but I haven't logged in in years.)

Turner's management of Gametap was lackluster, but they had some great people working on it and a really great client. The moment Metaboli bought them up a lot of those people were shown the door and the really lovely web client took its place. In addition, under Turner I could pick up the phone and have a live human being on the phone for customer support in under a minute. The support people I dealt with were all great, didn't rush you, were knowledgeable about the service, etc.

Then Metaboli took over and support became practically non-existant as it was moved to Europe.

Metaboli UK might be nice, but they clearly had no idea how to handle Gametap. Even if it's better now, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Speaking of services like Gametap though, does anyone subscribe to Gamefly? Their PC download service looks pretty similar. How is it?

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
Well I had like 6 or so games on D2D and now Gamefly since they bought them out. No issues with me for downloading my games.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tallgeese posted:

It can't just be the "it requires a CD" thing. After all, if that was true, exactly how did they get it to work for iOS?

Basically, they saw the money in converting the game to iOS, they do not see the money in converting it back to Windows.

Except that no conversion is necessary. They still have and still sell the original windows CD version. The question people are asking isn't "why hasn't the iOS version been ported to PC", it's "why is the PC version only available as a physical disc".

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
It honestly sounds like they're trying to goad people into dishing out $20 to get the CD. Back when digital was just new a lot of smaller game devs would charge exorbitant amounts of money for a physical CD for whatever reason. Either they're stuck in the past and trying to gouge people or they really don't know how digital distribution works.

I can't think of a single reason they could not release a digital version and with GoG around they really, really have no excuse.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Nthman posted:

Well I had like 6 or so games on D2D and now Gamefly since they bought them out. No issues with me for downloading my games.

I owned a single game on D2D, Farenheit, which just so happens to not be on Gamefly. Being that it's rated AO I doubt they will ever bother trying to get it. I guess if I ever wanna play it again I can get it on gog for 6 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ToxicFrog posted:

Except that no conversion is necessary. They still have and still sell the original windows CD version. The question people are asking isn't "why hasn't the iOS version been ported to PC", it's "why is the PC version only available as a physical disc".
The only thing I can think of is some sort of CD-checking DRM.