Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
How big of a spoiler is watching the Night of the Sickle Weasels episode if you're planning to play it soon? I've been avoiding playing it because the lack of furigana and the bad resolution has made it difficult for me to look up every word I don't know. But on the other hand, having some context would make it much easier to understand what's on the screen...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
It's a murder mystery and you'll know the murderer and how the details of his murder at the end of the video amongst other things. Like watching a Let's Play of Phoenix Wright.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

NeilPerry posted:

How big of a spoiler is watching the Night of the Sickle Weasels episode if you're planning to play it soon? I've been avoiding playing it because the lack of furigana and the bad resolution has made it difficult for me to look up every word I don't know. But on the other hand, having some context would make it much easier to understand what's on the screen...

It's probably not worth playing. There's only one real twist and it's not even that good. Without Arino's commentary it would have been really really boring to watch.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Loved what I saw of these past 2 episodes, new corners and all.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Just saw the ad in rotation for the first time. Great stuff Zari-Gani.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

NeilPerry posted:

I haven't played the game myself but I would say even if you know the killer, method and motive (which you will learn through this episode), the game is still worth trying. There's multiple story paths and multiple endings, and you can unlock even more story paths with completely different genres. The replay value is what drew in a lot of fans to this series. The episode leaves out big chunks of the story, too.

vvv I talked about it in my previous post.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 11, 2012

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I haven't played the game myself but I would say even if you know the killer, method and motive (which you will learn through this episode), the game is still worth trying. There's multiple story paths and multiple endings, and you can unlock even more story paths with completely different genres. The replay value is what drew in a lot of fans to this series. The episode leaves out big chunks of the story, too.

What story paths take place in the Pac Man 2 episode Read along segment and the end of the Director's Cut edition of the episode in DVD Box 8.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

zari-gani did you find a website with all the endings? Could you link it? I had a search but I couldn't find anything.

Japanese is OK :)

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Here: http://www8.atwiki.jp/storyteller/pages/156.html

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As a heads up to people, Nintendo is changing their video service. They're ending development of programs from Fuji TV for the 3DS. However, they've also specifically said that episodes of Game Center CX will be available in the eShop. I don't know if they mean new Nintendo Channel exclusive episodes or just broadcast episodes...

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Just came across this song. Wait until 0:50.

Edit:

VVVVVV

Oh right, that's true. After a hundred pages you forget there's an original post to begin with. Still, it's always a pleasure to be listening to something, only to suddenly be reminded of our beloved Kacho.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 12, 2012

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

jyrque posted:

Just came across this song. Wait until 0:50.

Back in the previous thread zari-gani posted a list of the backing music used in the show (It's currently in the second post of the thread). This one was included in the myriad of songs that were in it. Doesn't mean it's a bad find though.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo, I can't wait to see the Street Fighter 2010 episode subbed.

That game,oh the anger it caused.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
I missed the Freshverse stream, so I grabbed a raw of the second Dynamite Headdy episode. Great stuff! I know my wants probably count for nothing, but if any of you awesome translators feel like subbing this I would be overjoyed. Now that I've seen Arino tackle Twin Freaks AKA Funny Angry, I feel like a desire I'd had since my teens but never realized I had has been fulfilled.

But how in the hell did they find the buggiest cartridge in existence for him to play?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Anyone have a decent source for the #139 raw? I've found one potential source, but it says it'll take between 5 and 22 hours to get. Given that my connection futzes on average every 10 hours or so, that's a problem!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Anyone have a decent source for the #139 raw? I've found one potential source, but it says it'll take between 5 and 22 hours to get. Given that my connection futzes on average every 10 hours or so, that's a problem!

gaki no tsukai forums in the op. Not all the older raw links work. Ep#139 is in HQ.

http://www.gaki-no-tsukai.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2653

If anyone wants a raw posted on YT, let me know.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

joek0 posted:

gaki no tsukai forums in the op. Not all the older raw links work. Ep#139 is in HQ.

http://www.gaki-no-tsukai.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2653

If anyone wants a raw posted on YT, let me know.

That's where I'm trying to download from. I'm lucky if Depositfiles gives me 50kb/s

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Dominic White posted:

That's where I'm trying to download from. I'm lucky if Depositfiles gives me 50kb/s

I'll post the raw for #139 if you want.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

As a heads up to people, Nintendo is changing their video service. They're ending development of programs from Fuji TV for the 3DS. However, they've also specifically said that episodes of Game Center CX will be available in the eShop. I don't know if they mean new Nintendo Channel exclusive episodes or just broadcast episodes...

They're ceasing support of a separate app that had 3D videos of somewhat boring stuff produced by the TV networks. The GCCX stuff has always been on the Nintendo Channel/eShop, so it's not related. And they probably meant the same videos that are there.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Here is a YT video I posted for the raw of episode #139.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbrFhp4Vu5k

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Wow, you have the Chelnov episode too. I've been looking for that one. :holy:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Bocc Kob posted:

Wow, you have the Chelnov episode too. I've been looking for that one. :holy:

I have the raws for all the regular episodes on my external harddrive.. I post them when I have time. I will post a specific raw episode if you request it here in the thread. I am not posting SA subs or any other subs for GCCX on my channel. I will only post raws of non subbed episodes. Exceptions include the full raw episodes of season 1 and any raw for the Kotaku episodes as the raws have the non challenge segment.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 12, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

joek0 posted:

Here is a YT video I posted for the raw of episode #139.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbrFhp4Vu5k

Ooh, thanks! Much appreciated!

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

joek0 posted:

I have the raws for all the regular episodes on my external harddrive.. I post them when I have time. I will post a specific raw episode if you request it here in the thread. I am not posting SA subs or any other subs for GCCX on my channel. I will only post raws of non subbed episodes. Exceptions include the full raw episodes of season 1 and any raw for the Kotaku episodes as the raws have the non challenge segment.

I'd love to see the F-Zero and Koushien Baseball ones uploaded, if you have the time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Shock Trooper posted:

So tempted to try to get this down to avatar size...

I just had to get the context for this, and I have to say it was one of the funniest moments on the show any show I've seen in a while. It reminded me a little of that moment from Arrested Development with GOB, George and Franklin. It was just cut together so perfectly.

And that Wagan is hilariously bad.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Tewratomeh posted:

I just had to get the context for this, and I have to say it was one of the funniest moments on the show any show I've seen in a while. It reminded me a little of that moment from Arrested Development with GOB, George and Franklin. It was just cut together so perfectly.

And that Wagan is hilariously bad.

In zarigani's 40th bday fanart, I loved how she depicted female AD Takahashi and and her Wagan Land drawing.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON
Yes, the over-the-top dramatic situation with the black and white images... and the duck. It was fantastic, especially considering how often they actually use that effect seriously.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zrrgin posted:

I'd love to see the F-Zero and Koushien Baseball ones uploaded, if you have the time.

The F-Zero raws are up on my channel. May put the baseball one up tomorrow.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ8JP3Y4emc
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8dWpOdVtKk

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Woah that was fast! Thanks a bunch

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Say, Daft Question, Zari but in the Discoteck disks do the translations use the US or Japanese names for chracters?

Say, hypothetically, they were going to release the Dynamite Heady episodes, would they use Trouble Bruin or Maruyama?

Or is it all very much, "time of poke"?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

On the subject of translation accuracy, I generally prefer it when original names are used. Why? Because it's usually something very clearly heard in the show itself. It's just silly sometimes, like the Legacy of The Wizard episode, where you've got the subtitles insisting that the game is called one thing, but the actual title of the game is being displayed in full English for all to see.

Just a little note (Dragon Slayer 4, known as 'Legacy of The Wizard' in the US) is all it needs, really. Helps keep the audiovisual match-up stronger.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Just watched the Dynamite Headdy episodes. Megadrive games like to crap out on Arino, don't they?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dominic White posted:

On the subject of translation accuracy, I generally prefer it when original names are used. Why? Because it's usually something very clearly heard in the show itself. It's just silly sometimes, like the Legacy of The Wizard episode, where you've got the subtitles insisting that the game is called one thing, but the actual title of the game is being displayed in full English for all to see.

Just a little note (Dragon Slayer 4, known as 'Legacy of The Wizard' in the US) is all it needs, really. Helps keep the audiovisual match-up stronger.

Would you do this in a Mario game with Nokonokos and Patapatas? It's not relevant to non-Japanese audiences. At all. If the audience takes an interest in the original, they can look it up themselves without having to deluge the other viewers with unnecessary info.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Why? Now you've suddenly added the need for a ridiculous number of translation notes for no reason. Every single time something comes up that has an American counterpart, suddenly it needs a translation note. For games like Mario that would be absolutely ridiculous. "Mario jumps on the NOKONOKO (English: Koopa Trooper) and sends it flying into KOOPA (English: Bowser) so that he can save the princess!"

The point of the translation is to make it relevant to a non-Japanese audience. Keeping it in Japanese is exactly the bullshit TVN did and all it does is render it less accessible because now the audience has to remember a bunch of Japanese names for no reason.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

"SUPA MARIO (English: Super Mario) jumps on the NOKONOKO (English: Koopa Trooper) and sends it flying into KOOPA (English: Bowser) so that he can save PICHI-HIME (English: Princess Peach)!"
Fixed for a more accurate fansub

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

ConanThe3rd posted:

Say, Daft Question, Zari but in the Discoteck disks do the translations use the US or Japanese names for chracters?

English names. The Discotek subs are pretty much exactly the same as my subs for SAGCCX. I was even allowed to use "Game Center CX! Chief on!" instead of "Retro Game Master! Kacho go!"

I think what Dominic White meant (and correct me if I'm wrong) is if an English name is used in the original Japanese version, it should be kept English (like Dragon Slayer 4... and Rockman, I guess?). In our case, we stick to localized names for everything for the sake of consistency.

Any time we stray from that consistency is when the episode calls for it (for example, in Adventure Island, we used "Master Takahashi" instead of "Master Higgins" because there were so many references to the original Master Takahashi the game was based on). Or if the game was localized before settling to names that the western audience is now more familiar with (for Legend of the Mystical Ninja we went with Goemon and Ebisumaru instead of Kid Ying and Dr. Yang) -- I'm pretty sure if we do the Dragon Ball episode, we won't call it Dragon Power and Bulma won't be called Nora and so forth... So there will always be little exceptions like that, but asides from those, consistency and familiarity is what we're going for.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 13, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

English names. The Discotek subs are pretty much exactly the same as my subs for SAGCCX. I was even allowed to use "Game Center CX! Chief on!" instead of "Retro Game Master! Kacho go!"

I'm so used to "Kacho on!" I never even noticed the sub said "chief" until I checked just now. :stare:

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Wait, you are allowed to keep it as Game Center CX in your translations? Will the DVD be called GCCX and not RGM?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Why? Now you've suddenly added the need for a ridiculous number of translation notes for no reason.

Eh, I find a single translation note right at the start of an episode to be less mentally jarring than the narrator dramatically saying a name or title fifty times over the course of the episode, and the subtitles clearly saying something entirely different.

Names tend to stick out in spoken language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Eh, I find a single translation note right at the start of an episode to be less mentally jarring than the narrator dramatically saying a name or title fifty times over the course of the episode, and the subtitles clearly saying something entirely different.

Names tend to stick out in spoken language.

Does it bother you when the people on screen are speaking Japanese but the subtitles are in English? It must be jarring for you to be hearing words that are different to what is written in the subtitles.