Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Millstone posted:

You ain't poo poo until your car catches fire 6 times a day

Then you're flaming poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

For some reason, amid all that, my favorite is the satellite receiver on the hood

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

greenman100 posted:

And Romex? Wow.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. It's my favorite part.

Although to be safe he ought to get that splice in a box :)

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Home theatre sub housing, at least that's what he told me. I wanted that thing out of the shop as quickly as possible for obvious reasons.

Landerig
Oct 27, 2008

by Fistgrrl
We now present "How to wire up a sound system in your car as stupidly as possible!"

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Home theatre sub housing, at least that's what he told me. I wanted that thing out of the shop as quickly as possible for obvious reasons.

You should have installed several bags of gasoline and a model rocket ignitor inside the sub housing...

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

opengl128 posted:

For some reason, amid all that, my favorite is the satellite receiver on the hood

Mine is on the hood of my Flex.

Granted, it's running through the door gasket, so oh well.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Cakefool posted:

I can't be the only person who looked at that & thought "huh, suicide doors eh? So where's this damage?"
Don't worry, you're not.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Me and Allen bolts don't get along:

And as the last bolt holding onto the driveshaft....I wanted it out bad. And this took all Sunday

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I think I have broken every one of those bits that I've ever tried to use. gently caress those things.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

I think I have broken every one of those bits that I've ever tried to use. gently caress those things.

I thought it stripped the bolt more....it didn't thankfully and actually got it out. I was sure it wouldn't work, but was out of ideas beyond cutting off the head.

I'm replacing the Allen bolts with either Torx or Triple Square.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 06:21 on May 13, 2012

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Powershift posted:

and 9:01 monday morning his insurance company is going to tell him to gently caress off, and he's out 40 grand.

ouch.

When I used to amateur race a lot of the track days were called "driver training" that way it wasn't racing and could be claimed on your insurance*

*Or so I was told after watching someone flip their M3 over a wall. I always drove beaters and didn't care.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

obso posted:

When I used to amateur race a lot of the track days were called "driver training" that way it wasn't racing and could be claimed on your insurance*

*Or so I was told after watching someone flip their M3 over a wall. I always drove beaters and didn't care.

This is typically correct. If you have non-lovely insurance, high-speed "driver education" is usually fine, plain track days for fun may go either way, and competition is where the line is drawn.

I'm with a certain "good neighbor" company and they supposedly cut it at competition. I haven't actually read my policy to verify, but my what my agent told me matches internet reports, that they'll ask a lot of questions and go as far as contacting the event organizers to verify it wasn't a race, but in the end if it's a legit track day without any sort of official or "wink wink" unofficial ranking/prizes it'll be covered.

That said, One Lap's track events are ranked and they award prizes, so they're competitions as far as my insurance is concerned and I'd assume the same for this guy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's amazingly easy to have huge stacks just outside a track when you're going to spectate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

quote:

UPDATE I spoke with Brock Yates earlier this evening and he explained that the experienced driver of the vehicle has a long history racing, both with One Lap and in general, and that the cause of the crash was the CTS-V going into "ice mode," which he says caused the ABS to react in a way that lead to the crash. Thus, it was apparently a vehicle quirk, not driver error, that led to the crash.

Ahhh, so they did deny the insurance claim and now the driver needs to get all set up to go after GM. Makes perfect sense.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
You can buy specific track day insurance. It's pretty reasonable but typically has a high deductible.
I had never heard of ice mode ABS before and thought that guy was full of poo poo. But after searching for some information, looks like it's a pretty significant problem. Pretty lovely how the electronic nannies help babysit your car right into a tire wall.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

You can buy specific track day insurance. It's pretty reasonable but typically has a high deductible.
I had never heard of ice mode ABS before and thought that guy was full of poo poo. But after searching for some information, looks like it's a pretty significant problem. Pretty lovely how the electronic nannies help babysit your car right into a tire wall.

The ice mode on the Corvette was so bad I drove with the ABS fuse pulled for about 5 months before I lemon'ed it. Hitting a small bump in the road while applying the brakes meant they essentially stopped working.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Das Volk posted:

JDM before JDM was cool :v:

I've been JDM my whole life. :)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

CommieGIR posted:

Me and Allen bolts don't get along:

And as the last bolt holding onto the driveshaft....I wanted it out bad. And this took all Sunday

OH MY GOD. This might be the first time I've ever seen one of these actually work.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The trick is not to apply any side/bending force to them, it's largely a feel thing, same with using hand taps.

In that instance, I'd have been tempted to weld a hex nut on it instead. It depends on access, really.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
holy gently caress, you got an ez-snap to work. You are a god.

Buy lottery tickets now. Or don't, because you used up all your luck for the next decade.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I was successfully able to remove a broken exhaust bolt from a B28F using one of these*: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952152000P?mv=rr

*Of course I had the engine on a stand and had perfect straight on access to the affected part. Even then, subsequent attempts to use this tool were met with total failure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I just use the ones you hammer onto the bolt head. They cut into it at like 8 points and you just throw a wrench on it. I gave up on extractors, they're way too brittle.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Godholio posted:

I just use the ones you hammer onto the bolt head. They cut into it at like 8 points and you just throw a wrench on it. I gave up on extractors, they're way too brittle.

That's what I use too, they work pretty awesome.
The main issue with extractors isn't that they suck. It's that they break off inside your stuck bolt. And now you're extra hosed because, not only do you have a stuck bolt, it has a bit of hardened steel stuck in it that you can't drill out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Panaflex posted:

I was successfully able to remove a broken exhaust bolt from a B28F using one of these*: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952152000P?mv=rr

*Of course I had the engine on a stand and had perfect straight on access to the affected part. Even then, subsequent attempts to use this tool were met with total failure.

I bought that kit for the exact same purpose.....didn't work for me

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

chrisgt posted:

That's what I use too, they work pretty awesome.
The main issue with extractors isn't that they suck. It's that they break off inside your stuck bolt. And now you're extra hosed because, not only do you have a stuck bolt, it has a bit of hardened steel stuck in it that you can't drill out.

This is the part where you buy about 6 chainsaw sharpening bits for you Dremel and curse for the next half hour while you grind it out.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Godholio posted:

Impact Torx bits and a sledgehammer will also achieve this, and a 1/2"-drive 8-inch impact extension makes a great grip while you're pounding.

mhsneon
Jul 2, 2005

I work for Intel but AMD makes me hot

Panaflex posted:

I successfully used those last time I tore my carb apart on my bike, it was the first time I had been able to use them successfully. I think I have replaced half the bolts on my bikes, they use the softest metal possible.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Splizwarf posted:

Impact Torx bits and a sledgehammer will also achieve this, and a 1/2"-drive 8-inch impact extension makes a great grip while you're pounding.

On allen heads, this is the only solution I trust. Even with stainless steel bolts it has never failed me.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I've had good luck clamping vice grips onto the head and unscrewing it

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Brigdh posted:

I've had good luck clamping vice grips onto the head and hitting them sumbitches with a 3-pound sledge.

Fixed that for ya. :cheers:

Plus it's so goddamned satisfying.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I submit Chrysler part number 6506 264AA... the quadratrack suspension track bar nut. It is a 15mm M10 nut with a sheetmetal "flag" placed around the base of the hex, then the corners are staked down to hold the flag in place. This is all well and good when they are rust free or being installed at the plant, but after 10 years in the northeast it is a recipe for a really lovely afternoon. The flag always bends or stretches till the nut spins, and it's in such a tight spot you can't really get a wrench or a socket on it. And even if you could, they staked the loving corners, so it's drat near round! :shepicide:

I even hit it with oxyacetylene till it was red hot and quenched it with PBBlaster before touching it... :argh: looks like it's getting melted off and replaced.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

kastein posted:

I even hit it with oxyacetylene till it was red hot and quenched it with PBBlaster before touching it... :argh: looks like it's getting melted off and replaced.

I don't miss this kind of poo poo from when I lived in Minnesota. Every exhaust fastener or upper shock fastener was like this.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Brigdh posted:

I've had good luck clamping vice grips onto the head and unscrewing it

I did that once with a stuck distributor cap bolt, only to twist the head clean off. "No problem" I thought, since I could then remove the part. I then twisted off the remainder of the bolt, leaving it flush with the timing cover. Distributor cap is now held on with 2 bolts on that car...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

I recently bought a compressor and some air tools, and this strikes me as a fantastic idea.

VVV I really need to learn how to weld.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 15, 2012

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I like to set a nut down over the top and then put a bead of weld on it.

The main thing I have used as a mechanic with allen cap head screws is a 3/8" drive "impact driver". That and knowing when your limits with a regular allen are up and it is time to use it. Or knowing how to hammer the head back into something usable when someone else has turned the flats out.

The toughest thing this tool loosens is steel threaded plugs from iron blocks.

This is what the new kind looks like.
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4608-Impact-Driver/dp/B000HT8I9O

I looked on youtube there is not one "how to" for this tool. Maybe someday I should make one.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 15, 2012

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Here is one being used by an idiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDcxisoTMWg

Ignore the "hit a plastic screw driver with a hammer" and "hit a hammer with a hammer" bits.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

B4Ctom1 posted:

I like to set a nut down over the top and then put a bead of weld on it.

The main thing I have used as a mechanic with allen cap head screws is a 3/8" drive "impact driver". That and knowing when your limits with a regular allen are up and it is time to use it. Or knowing how to hammer the head back into something usable when someone else has turned the flats out.

The toughest thing this tool loosens is steel threaded plugs from iron blocks.

This is what the new kind looks like.
http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4608-Impact-Driver/dp/B000HT8I9O

I looked on youtube there is not one "how to" for this tool. Maybe someday I should make one.

Its great...but you wouldn't have been able to fit that where I was putting the tool. It was on the end of the prop shaft, and you had to go in at an angle

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

kastein posted:

Reminds me of a lugnut I had problems with. PBBlaster multiple times, air ratchet did nothing, then I used a nut extractor and a 6' cheater bar and ended up snapping the lugnut off level with the top of the threads. I had to have someone cut that lugnut off (then replaced all of the lugnuts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That was rather satisfying and I only got one slag-related second degree burn.

I burned the flag nut off the end of the bolt, then burned the track bar off the bushing, cut the track bar in half with the torch so I could work on each end separately, burned the bushing off the sleeve, the sleeve off the bolt, then burned the bolt in half for good measure... then burned the nut off the upper (TRE style) end of the track bar, along with the stud. The only tools I used to remove the entire thing were the oxyacetylene torch and a 3lb BFH.

Had to carefully salvage a bolt and a flag nut from the parts XJ on the other side of the yard, as the hardware store was closed.

The new one went in easily. I'll let some other poor sod worry about getting that flag nut off in another 14 years.