Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm doing another NICSA here in a bit. I'm out of ideas for prizes. D'you guys have any suggestions? I'm looking for $30 and below.

When I do mine I'm planning on providing a varied selection of my theme ingredient or the choice of a prepaid Visa card/Amazon gift card if the first option doesn't work.

Cookbooks are good, but you have to find something that the participants don't already have.

Booze is always fun, but I don't know the legalities of shipping it across state lines.

If all else fails you can throw in forums upgrades and the like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Girl I just stopped seeing after a cataclysmic night just posted her new tattoo on Facebook.

It is of a skeleton dancing on a dead man.

Wheeeeee

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Halalelujah posted:

Girl I just stopped seeing after a cataclysmic night just posted her new tattoo on Facebook.

It is of a skeleton dancing on a dead man.

Wheeeeee

Seems like she's taking it well.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
"This represents my old self"

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
She's a keeper. Beg her to take you back.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
OK, so the oral surgeon left the inside of my mouth looking like a herd of angry horses stomped through it in the process of removing that molar whose roots would NOT come out for love or money. Long story short: I cracked a tooth vertically, and wanted it removed. Dentist by my house managed to remove the crown, but the roots snapped off while still in my jaw. Had to go to an oral surgeon, who put me under general, and pounded the poo poo out of my jaw until the roots relented. He got the roots out, after about an hour of going at it. Unfortunately, he also took a bit out of the cheek area directly next to that tooth. We're not talking enormous chunks or whatever, but in that sensitive an area, a few cm feels like acres.

I'm currently on stupid amounts of amoxicillin and pain killers from hell. Every time I take one of the antibiotics, I feel really tired like 30 minutes - 1 hour later, and need to have a bit of a lie down. And this is just the second full day. Wednesday was the surgery, and next Thursday, I'll have run through my 3x daily dose of the antibiotics.

Puppy pointedly reminded me that the sheet from the dentist said I can start eating regular food as of today. It took a supreme force of will not to snap in a nasty manner with, "If the loving sheet could see inside of my pulpy and shredded mouth, it would bloody well let me know to lay low still." Instead, I explained it with a minimum (I hope) of snippy-ness.

Eating bland, soft food is really getting old. It's starting to make me a bitch.

... even more of a bitch.

In better news, I've set the date for Puppy and me to go down to see Charmmi and Mr. Charmmi.

@Phummus: Glad to hear it's "just" an abscess. Hope it clears out soon enough.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Have you tried scotch?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dino. posted:

In better news, I've set the date for Puppy and me to go down to see Charmmi and Mr. Charmmi.

You coming down to Hampton Roads?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
@VM: Scotch is what got me through the presurgery. Apparently, I'm not supposed to drink while on the amoxicillin and the pain meds. Something something horrible side effects.

@FGR: That's right, you're down by that area too. We should all get together or something. :O

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
dino., I'm too squeamish to read your post, but I hope you feel better!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
edit: wrong thread for this

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 12, 2012

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.
We went to lunch for an early Mother's Day. My mom and her mother-in law got each other gifts. I got them cards and some chocolates, too. Neither of them even told me happy Mother's Day, let alone give me a stupid card or anything. Now I'm kinda bummed.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Walk Away posted:

We went to lunch for an early Mother's Day. My mom and her mother-in law got each other gifts. I got them cards and some chocolates, too. Neither of them even told me happy Mother's Day, let alone give me a stupid card or anything. Now I'm kinda bummed.

Aww, no mother should be left out on Mother's Day. Happy (early) Mother's Day, Walk Away.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I have acquired a six-pack of Short's Anniversary Ale. This made me exceedingly happy not only because it is a lovely lovely beer, but also because I apparently need beer to get through social interactions with group of people.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

pnumoman posted:

Aww, no mother should be left out on Mother's Day. Happy (early) Mother's Day, Walk Away.

Thanks a bunch. My 4 year-old daughter has been hugging me saying "Happy Mother's Day!" for like two weeks, so I can't feel too bad for myself.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Boyfriend and I went to dinner last night and somehow spent $700. The wine pairing was fantastic and I am hungover as balls.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Aaaaand I just grated off part of my thumb. It's going to be one of those nights! I guess I should just be glad that this is only the first time I've ever done that.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Boyfriend and I went to dinner last night and somehow spent $700. The wine pairing was fantastic and I am hungover as balls.

How was the food?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

pork never goes bad posted:

How was the food?

We got the tasting menu + wine pairing: http://www.quincerestaurant.com/menus.html

Wine pairing was one of the best I've ever had, food was pretty good overall. The standouts for me were one of the intro bites at the beginning (rosemary mini-madeleines and goat cheese), the white asparagus, lobster fagotelli, and the lychee float.

The place is gorgeous but there were too many servers and it was creepy, also BF got drunk after the first cocktail and I think he didn't appreciate the food as much. Also holy sticker shock.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

Walk Away posted:

Aaaaand I just grated off part of my thumb. It's going to be one of those nights! I guess I should just be glad that this is only the first time I've ever done that.

Shorter fingers = fearlessness in the kitchen = FLAVOR LEVEL IS "NO TOMORROW"

Next time bring pics, and post here:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476353&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post402227130

Made me feel better about my pussy rear end tiny wound.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

I can't even bring myself to look at that thread.

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
Has anyone paired tomatoes with chocolate? Today I found out that tomato-flavored chocolate exists.

I have much to learn about chocolates in Japan.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Also holy sticker shock.

go here next
http://www.manresarestaurant.com/kitchen/index.html

I've been wanting to go to quince for a long time, will have to book a reso in autumn.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I never realized how basically lame my mom's cooking was until I started cooking for myself. She did fine at making endless meals for my horrible sister and I and I can't fault her for trying new things and us being awful children and demanding the same limited range of crap each time. Still, I thought I didn't like pork chops but now that I've had them cooked properly they are pretty drat tasty.

I've got friends staying in town and we made up grilled pork chops, culcannon and sauerkraut for dinner. The chops were slightly overcooked but not nearly to the point that I remember growing up. These still had some juiciness inside and were full of flavor.

It makes me sad that when marketers try to get me to buy their dumbass soups or prepackaged meals because it's just like mom used to make, I rear back a bit. Ewww, no thanks, I'd rather it be like *I* make it. Besides, they're always showing some golden sunshine-bathed mythical Italian kitchen from fairyland, not the 70's avacado appliances and ugly linoleum I grew up with. Is that Grandmamma Marie Calendar patiently showing her granddaughter how to make delicious frozen meals (just add more salt, dearie)? Where's the shrieking toddlers who are yelling that they want tater tots and hot dogs *again*! Where's the pot of green beans boiling away on the stove so there was technically a vegetable served with the meal? Where's the overcooked and slightly burnt meat product alongside it? WHEN IS TACO NIGHT???

Happy Mother's day, mom. This year, I'll make dinner.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CuddleChunks posted:

It makes me sad that when marketers try to get me to buy their dumbass soups or prepackaged meals because it's just like mom used to make, I rear back a bit.
I always wanted to make a line of packaged foods whose tag line was "made just like you could make if you stopped being lazy and bought some ingredients instead of cans." Then put a recipe on the package for the same thing you're buying.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

I never realized how basically lame my mom's cooking was until I started cooking for myself.

My mom is also a pretty horrible cook. But she tried really hard and did her best to put healthy food on the table every night, and cater to my horrible kid tastes and my dad's horrible Bostonian tastes. And it must have taken a lot of resolve to constantly do something that didn't come easy for her and wasn't always appreciated.

So now we have a symbiotic cooking relationship. When I visit she buys whatever groceries I want, I play around making terrines and other stuff I can't afford to do at home, and then dad does the dishes.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Pfefferbao posted:

Has anyone paired tomatoes with chocolate? Today I found out that tomato-flavored chocolate exists.

I have much to learn about chocolates in Japan.

There's a mole recipe in this month's Draft (a beer) magazine that calls for both. Never made a mole before, but I'm going to try it out.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Okay - I'm going crazy trying to figure this out -

I live in an apartment in NYC and have a nice stove w/ a vent. I want to try smoking some stuff. Hot smoking is simple enough - I can do it in the oven - but I'm interested in cold smoking. If I get an a-maze-n cold smoker and put it in a big pan next to the food I want smoked, and dunk that pan into a bigger pan filled with ice, and cover the top of the smoking container with foil, will that work?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

No Wave posted:

Okay - I'm going crazy trying to figure this out -

I live in an apartment in NYC and have a nice stove w/ a vent. I want to try smoking some stuff. Hot smoking is simple enough - I can do it in the oven - but I'm interested in cold smoking. If I get an a-maze-n cold smoker and put it in a big pan next to the food I want smoked, and dunk that pan into a bigger pan filled with ice, and cover the top of the smoking container with foil, will that work?

Cheap soldering iron stabbed into a tin can full of soaked and drained wood chips is a great smoke source. Any metal container and a rack works for a smoking chamber. You can use an old filing cabinet, two steam table trays one on top of the other, a milsurp ammo box, etc.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

GrAviTy84 posted:

Cheap soldering iron stabbed into a tin can full of soaked and drained wood chips is a great smoke source. Any metal container and a rack works for a smoking chamber. You can use an old filing cabinet, two steam table trays one on top of the other, a milsurp ammo box, etc.
Awesome - kind of surprised I don't hear about this more to be honest. I don't really understand why people drop so much money on smokers when you can just put a metal box in your oven... is this that bad for the oven? Will it impart flavors to the walls that the clean cycle won't take care of?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

No Wave posted:

Awesome - kind of surprised I don't hear about this more to be honest. I don't really understand why people drop so much money on smokers when you can just put a metal box in your oven... is this that bad for the oven? Will it impart flavors to the walls that the clean cycle won't take care of?

It does put a coating of smokey residue on the objects in the box. I wouldn't use an oven. Just get two disposable lasagna type trays or maybe foil cover a steam table tray. I have a rack that I had to set aside just for smoking because the flavor is just in it now no matter how much I scrub and soak and run it through the dishwasher. It makes no sense to me but it is what it is.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

It does put a coating of smokey residue on the objects in the box. I wouldn't use an oven. Just get two disposable lasagna type trays or maybe foil cover a steam table tray. I have a rack that I had to set aside just for smoking because the flavor is just in it now no matter how much I scrub and soak and run it through the dishwasher. It makes no sense to me but it is what it is.

This is an interesting idea. Home Depot and the like sell tiny rear end kettle grills for like $20, I wonder if they could be made to seal enough to cold smoke in?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CuddleChunks posted:

I never realized how basically lame my mom's cooking was until I started cooking for myself. She did fine at making endless meals for my horrible sister and I and I can't fault her for trying new things and us being awful children and demanding the same limited range of crap each time. Still, I thought I didn't like pork chops but now that I've had them cooked properly they are pretty drat tasty.

I've got friends staying in town and we made up grilled pork chops, culcannon and sauerkraut for dinner. The chops were slightly overcooked but not nearly to the point that I remember growing up. These still had some juiciness inside and were full of flavor.

It makes me sad that when marketers try to get me to buy their dumbass soups or prepackaged meals because it's just like mom used to make, I rear back a bit. Ewww, no thanks, I'd rather it be like *I* make it. Besides, they're always showing some golden sunshine-bathed mythical Italian kitchen from fairyland, not the 70's avacado appliances and ugly linoleum I grew up with. Is that Grandmamma Marie Calendar patiently showing her granddaughter how to make delicious frozen meals (just add more salt, dearie)? Where's the shrieking toddlers who are yelling that they want tater tots and hot dogs *again*! Where's the pot of green beans boiling away on the stove so there was technically a vegetable served with the meal? Where's the overcooked and slightly burnt meat product alongside it? WHEN IS TACO NIGHT???

Happy Mother's day, mom. This year, I'll make dinner.
This is an hilarious post.

My mother is a decent cook. Adventurous in that she was constantly trying new recipes and getting us to try new things ( it was never "Wednesday, must be sausages"), but the ambition of those recipes was slightly limited. Most of the cooking in our house was done by the maid (this was South Africa...) under my mother's direction, but she can cook for herself. My father can barely make a cup of tea.

Walk Away, that sucks! Graters terrify me!
If it is any consolation I tripped and fell yesterday and put my arm out to break
My fall, which transmitted the force to my shoulder, which is hosed. Went to the hospital to get it checked out as I was in so much pain. Just muscular damage, apparently. Right arm mostly useless. Unable to hold babby or do much about the house. Wife unhappy. Sore.

therattle fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 13, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

bunnielab posted:

This is an interesting idea. Home Depot and the like sell tiny rear end kettle grills for like $20, I wonder if they could be made to seal enough to cold smoke in?

I use my cheap rear end charbroil Lowe's sale acquired < $100 grill to smoke. Just cover the vents with foil.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
OK, I'm in the market for a giant cookbook of time-consuming food projects. Which should I get? Ad Hoc at Home? Ruhlman's Charcuterie? The River Cottage Meat Book? Something else?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

PainBreak posted:

Had dinner at Uchiko yesterday... Bad cellphone pics, but pics nonetheless.

Dunno if it's just the cellphone, but the only thing that looks presented well to me is the beef tongue. Am I the only person not incredibly impressed with the rest? It has to be the cellphone pics.

Our lead line cook in the PM randomly staged at Congress here in Austin, and the chef wants her on saute. Guess who's covering PM line if we haven't hired her replacement by June 9th? :smithicide:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

wafflesnsegways posted:

OK, I'm in the market for a giant cookbook of time-consuming food projects. Which should I get? Ad Hoc at Home? Ruhlman's Charcuterie? The River Cottage Meat Book? Something else?

The comedy / not-comedy answer is Modernist Cuisine.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

I always wanted to make a line of packaged foods whose tag line was "made just like you could make if you stopped being lazy and bought some ingredients instead of cans." Then put a recipe on the package for the same thing you're buying.

Hahah, Modern Surrealist Cuisine -

On a Cream of Mushroom Soup can
"Read the back of the can for a recipe for Cream of Mushroom soup!"

1. Open can
2. Empty contents into pot
3. Heat

For more recipes like this, open your drat eyes.

WroughtIrony - Yeah I like to cook for my parents when I'm home. The main problem is that the fun stuff I want to try out doesn't agree with my dad who has incredibly simple tastes due to his mother's abysmal British cooking. Her idea of how to cook meat was to put the chop or steak onto the pan in some oil. Cook until it curls up at the edge, flip until it curls down again. :gonk: He's had world class cuisine thanks to his job and traveling and still when he's at home he'd rather have soup and sandwich rather than anything interesting. Oh well. Guess it's taco night again!

therattle - I hope your arm feels better soon. Glad it's not an actual break though it's no fun jamming things up and having to wait for muscles to knit themselves back together.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

wafflesnsegways posted:

For serious, Modernist Cuisine is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

wafflesnsegways posted:

get charcuterie

it's the gift that keeps on giving