Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So, Kat's head-pigeon can see into the dream, but Kat herself cannot.

The mechanics of this intrigue me.

I'm an idiot. Forgot about the contents of the first panel.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
What the gently caress :staredog:

Edit: I'm guessing (though most of my guesses have been wrong) that Kamlen and Jonesy are simply metaphors for the forest and the court? I don't THINK a naked Jonesy popped out of a bush and gave Annie a mask.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 14, 2012

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm not entirely sure, but I think the mask might be important. :downs:

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

So, Kat's head-pigeon can see into the dream, but Kat herself cannot.

The mechanics of this intrigue me.

Nope, re-read the dialog, she's guessing based on what Zimmy is saying.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wow! Bizarre, creepy and ridiculously intriguing. If it wouldn't practically cause me physical pain to do so I would hold off on reading chapters until they're entirely finished, Wednesday seems like a long ways away right now.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Haha I like how Zimmy reads Kats mind for the name and she assumes that Zimmy read Annies mind.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Okay you lost me at naked Jones. (Not readership-wise, tentative-grasp-on-what's-going-on-wise.)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They're trying to seduce her soul?

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
Has anybody got that image of the giant :psyduck: which opens its mouth and vomits forth a bunch of little :psyduck:s which pile up and fall away to reveal a giant :stare: which splits open and hatches a giant :psyduck:? Because that's pretty much me right now.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I'm glad Tom decided to give us the solution to the mystery. Now it's all so clear.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
This is Kat's perception. Annie got pulled away by the Forest, by Jones, and between the two and their influence Kat feels like she doesn't even recognize Annie any more (hence the blank mask).

At least that is my read of it.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

...Huh.

Well, Kamlen (symbol for the forest?) left or turned his back on Annie when Jones (symbol for the court?) gave Annie the mask, like he ceased to recognize her or something.

This is all still very strange. Even moreso than Zimmy chapters normally are.

I think Tom might just enjoy watching everyone be all surprised and guess themselves in circles.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Oh my god, it all makes sense now! I can see everything so clearly!

Wait, no, that was sleep deprivation induced hallucinations.

Also, the voyeuristic elves in the background are kind of creeping me out. I mean, more than this whole chapter is anyway.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Fried Chicken posted:

This is Kat's perception. Annie got pulled away by the Forest, by Jones, and between the two and their influence Kat feels like she doesn't even recognize Annie any more (hence the blank mask).

At least that is my read of it.

I think that's not Kat's perception, but Annie's: Either getting pulled away by the forest and the court to the pointshe doesn't really recognize herself, or she could consider one of the forest, given she had fun there and started to be more extrovert there, before being constrained by Jones and the obligation of neutrality she carries.

Maybe Annie as she stand now can't really bring herself to be neutral to the forest anymore?

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

So Annie's binding from Coyote goes from a ring of teeth last page to a plain wrapping in the first panel and is gone by the second-to-last panel. Maybe it's a symbolic depiction of her return to the court. Now she's unhappy but putting on a brave face for her friends? That doesn't explain her collapse or why Jones is naked, but there may be more to see.

P.S. Tom please draw Deadly Premonition fanart forever

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The mask sort of reminds me of the Fire Elemental's face, but it's probably just a coincidence.

endolithic posted:

So Annie's binding from Coyote goes from a ring of teeth last page to a plain wrapping in the first panel and is gone by the second-to-last panel. Maybe it's a symbolic depiction of her return to the court. Now she's unhappy but putting on a brave face for her friends? That doesn't explain her collapse or why Jones is naked, but there may be more to see.

I would agree with this, but... Jones is the one giving her the mask so I dunno.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Naked/Tribal Jones was not something I was expecting to see ever.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

So, I figure I might as well throw out a random crazy theory I had since this chapter is generally weird anyway:

Jones is allowed in the forest and is therefore probably not human. She is seemingly incredibly powerful. Coyote calls Jones "wandering eye". Coyote has removable eyes which he has been known to lose sometimes.

Somehow, Jones used to be one of Coyote's eyes that he lost a long time ago, and she has since transformed into a person (because of magic). Coyote may have even sent an eye to the court back when he split the court from the forest, either to spy or to mediate between them.

Though none of that properly explains why she works with the court so heavily or why she is so seemingly neutral about everything, but it's what I think Jones might be. And of course it is probably completely wrong.

e: Or maybe she has something to do with the seed bismuth, because that would also be really interesting. And the symbol for it looks kind of like an eye.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 14, 2012

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Everybody's attracted to Jones. It's just inherent.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Pick posted:

Everybody's attracted to Jones. It's just inherent.

She's got a really strong gravitational field ok? That's why she's so heavy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mazerunner posted:

She's got a really strong gravitational field ok? That's why she's so heavy.

Oh, I thought it was because she was a robot.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

endolithic posted:

P.S. Tom please draw Deadly Premonition fanart forever

That binding looks like a gift from Kamlen. It's the same as his bracelet (which he also had in the previous comic).

After she gets the mask she removes the bracelet and Kamlen leaves.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zimmy's surprise at Kat not being able to see this makes me think that most would get some hint; and Kat's just really Ether-insensitive. Which I guess we already knew, it just strikes me as slightly funny at how bad at it she apparently is. Kat would not be amused.

And Jones being one of Coyote's old eyes that got a life of its own has been my favorite theory for a while.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So Annie had a brief thing with Kamlen, but Jones showed up and reminded her of the necessity that a medium remain neutral or something maybe?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Tollymain posted:

So Annie had a brief thing with Kamlen, but Jones showed up and reminded her of the necessity that a medium remain neutral or something maybe?

Not really, or Surma would had never had the fling with Eglamore. Also, Jones is naked. The mask is smiling. The watching elves withdrew. Kamlen was interested in the Coyote bind. All of this will (not) be explained on the next update, I'm sure.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I wouldn't say the mask is smiling in a happy way. It look like it's smiling in a polite, neutral way. The fact it's split in the middle and the panel where Annie wears it screams "standing between two sides" to me. About Jones being naked... I don't know. Maybe Annie's taping in Eglamore's mind/feelings for some reasons?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Annie has her eyes shut like she's asleep or blind. Maybe we're gonna find out what's up with Jones now? Annie and Kat know don't they?

Or would that be too easy :downs:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Zimmy's face in the last panel is amazing.

Oh no! A smug face! The smuggest face!

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
okay yes mm-hmm this all makes complete sense I am so happy I understand everything completely and thoroughly with this update yes.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I think it's all just a bit more symbolic than Zimmy assumes. Kamlen is a symbol for the forest and the freedom Annie had living there, Jones is the court pulling her back and handing her the emotional mask she always wears, even around her friends, as we saw at the end of last term.

And Jones is naked because Annie has to give a speech in front of the whole class! And she totally forgot to prepare!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Noooo Annie, don't do it!

Noooooooooo

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
Jones cannot represent the Court, she is defined several times as a free agent. I think Jones can only be representing herself. So, to continue the prying elf theory, Jones showed up and did something/told Annie something that removed the forest's interest on her secret.

About the fact that she is naked, could Jones be a shapeshifter? And she adopted a turtle form (which obviously wasn't wearing clothes) or something to sneak to Annie and help her. But during this playback her identity is revealed into her human form. Might also explain her weight: her true form is much larger, so her human shape packs a lot more mass that it should.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The mask reminds me of Jeanne's ghostface.

Don lluvia
Mar 27, 2010

Brannock posted:

The mask reminds me of Jeanne's ghostface.

And Jeanne had a green boyfriend so it's clearly symbolic of repeating destinies and stuff.

I wish I understood what is going on.:(

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Noooo Annie, don't do it!

What, you got something against equality? :mad:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Bitchtits McGee posted:

What, you got something against equality? :mad:

I think it's more along the lines of getting knocked up would eventually kill her

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I think Kat's psycho-projecting mostly the same way as Zimmy usually does. She's curious about Annie's time in the forest and wonders if she and Kamlen had anything going, and also she's conflicted about girls since the talk with Paz. This is manifesting outwardly right now. The mind-pidgeon is also a sign that her head is overflowing.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Has anybody got that image of the giant :psyduck: which opens its mouth and vomits forth a bunch of little :psyduck:s which pile up and fall away to reveal a giant :stare: which splits open and hatches a giant :psyduck:? Because that's pretty much me right now.

This is pretty much how I felt when I read every Zimmy chapter... v:shobon:v

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
The mystery is clearly solved, guys. I don't understand what the problem is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:
You're all wrong. Antimony's a teenager nearing adulthood, remember? Kamlen is masculine and sensual. Ms. Jones is androgynous and wears sensible shoes. This is a metaphor for Antimony's sexual indecision.