Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I am really glad I got this thread, as Virgin Mobile has been the only service I have heard about with this type of non-contract payment plan, but a lot of their current phones looked pretty crappy. I didn't know the service type was actually called pre-paid, but I am glad for this thread's info now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
By the way, the Verizon Android Straight Talk is up on their website and available to pre-order, shipping in 1-2 weeks, if anyone was curious.

Uses the same $45 plan.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
FIVE HOME SCREENS? loving sold.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Crow_Robot posted:

By the way, the Verizon Android Straight Talk is up on their website and available to pre-order, shipping in 1-2 weeks, if anyone was curious.
Uses the same $45 plan.

Man I wonder how straight talk got Verizon to agree to resell at that rate. Their contract plans start around there for a few hundred minutes and no texting or data!

Physical
Sep 26, 2007

by T. Finninho
Can I use StraightTalk for business? I'm looking to get a Galaxy Nexus and work wants me to have a phone using tethering and Exchange Active Sync. Can I do this via Straighttalk?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Physical posted:

Can I use StraightTalk for business? I'm looking to get a Galaxy Nexus and work wants me to have a phone using tethering and Exchange Active Sync. Can I do this via Straighttalk?
Yes on the Exchange email. However, their Terms of Service forbid tethering and audio/video streaming services. StraightTalk does not allow high data usage and is known to terminate people's plans after a warning text message.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Physical posted:

If your employer wants you to have a phone with tethering and Exchange sync, it's their responsibility to provide you with one. They can't dictate your choice of phone and plan if you're the one shelling out the cash.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Holy WiMax coverage, Batman! That's a huge OP update Rastor just made!

* 2 new AT&T options
* 2 new Sprint options (and updated Boost / Virgin Mobile for 4G info)
* 2 new Verizon options
* Better AT&T / new Verizon maps
* Dropped Cricket wireless to the misc section, because seriously.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I wonder what WiMAX speeds are like around here. If I'm going to drop $300 on a phone and lose my Triumph (which I probably will), I feel very conflicted about sticking with VM vs just getting a Razr Maxx and selling my soul to Verizon for 2 years. $70 a month still feels too steep to me for what I do, though.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

More Virgin Mobile USA news:

You can now preorder the LG Optimus Elite, a low-end (single core 800MHz processor, 3.5" 320x480 display) phone with NFC and Google Wallet.

Also they clarified the rules for losing your grandfathered $25/month plan. As most already figured, you may get a LG Optimus V, LG Optimus Slider, HTC Wildfire S, or Motorola Triumph without losing your plan. Switching to the Optimus Elite or HTC EVO V 4G or any new smartphone launched in the future will cause you to lose your grandfathered rate.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Rastor posted:

More Virgin Mobile USA news:

You can now preorder the LG Optimus Elite, a low-end (single core 800MHz processor, 3.5" 320x480 display) phone with NFC and Google Wallet.

I'm happy for people who really want to stick with VM, but I'm also happy for myself; because I was itching for them to release another new LG phone, but with no light at the end of the tunnel, I finally decided last night to make the jump to T-Mobile + Galaxy Nexus. So this announcement could have aggravated me, but seeing how low-end that phone is (not that it's awful or anything) seems to signal that LG isn't particularly interested in putting out anything top-notch for VM any time soon.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
For people using the an LTE phone on straight talk with an ATT SIM, do you still get LTE access or is it just HSPA?
Also, do you need to SIM unlock to use straight talk?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

No LTE on any prepaid service (unless you count MetroPCS).

I've heard reports that being AT&T-locked doesn't prevent a phone from working on Straight Talk's AT&T plan. A T-Mobile-locked phone wouldn't work.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The news is reporting that the parent company of Straight Talk is buying SIMple Mobile.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Rastor posted:

The news is reporting that the parent company of Straight Talk is buying SIMple Mobile.

Simple mobile doesn't really have any competitive plans. They're an MVNO for T-mobile but they pretty much charge identical prices except for a few options.
edit:
I imagine this probably won't matter much. Straight talk already sells T-mobile service for less than simple mobile, so you'll probably just see simple mobile's prices line up with straight talk. I don't know how else this could change anything.

Naffer fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 11, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I think they're just collecting brands, after this acquisition they'll have Tracfone, Net10, Straight Talk, SafeLink, and SIMple Mobile.

If it were me I would do some consolidation but what do I know.

Balloon Time Hooray!
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe you're not an ugly human being but a good looking ape... with exceptional verbal skills.
I'd bet that maintaining the illusion of competition is pretty important in an industry so prone to antitrust lawsuits.

Any word on whether the VM Triumphs have gotten any better (or worse) on the quality control front? It'd be nice to upgrade my Optimus V without having to give up my grandfathered monthly price.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

spengler posted:

but will the HTC EVO V 4G still have a 3d screen?

Despite what other people have said, this site http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/8/3007021/virgin-mobile-htc-evo-v-4g-may-31-launch seems to indicate that it does have a 3D screen.

Edit: Here's the quote:

quote:

Update 2: Despite Virgin Mobile's site and PR making absolutely no mention of it, we discovered that the HTC Evo V 4G is identical to the Evo 3D in every way, including the 3D screen. Check out our hands-on for more details on Virgin's new hardware.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Interesting, and seems Sprint may not be throttling 4G access (makes sense, it's somebody else's network)?

Updated the OP.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Wasn't the Evo 3D the one that all of the Sprint fans were jizzing about while waiting for it to come out a year ago or such?

Didn't it turn out to be a dud or something? Or did the new Iphone steal its thunder?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

jeeves posted:

Wasn't the Evo 3D the one that all of the Sprint fans were jizzing about while waiting for it to come out a year ago or such?

Didn't it turn out to be a dud or something? Or did the new Iphone steal its thunder?

My guess is 3D is a gimmick. I tried one in the store and had a headache after a minute of staring at the 3D screen...

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

hotsauce posted:

My guess is 3D is a gimmick. I tried one in the store and had a headache after a minute of staring at the 3D screen...

Yeah, I know about the 3d thing being a stupid gimmick, but I was under the impression people were looking forward to it due to it being one of the highest-horsepower phones available or something. I am curious about what happened with that-- I don't know if people were disappointed with the final product or if I just didn't pay attention to follow peoples reactions.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

As far as I know the final opinion on the EVO 3D was "nice phone, but the 3D is just a gimmick".

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The 3D was indeed a gimmick, however that's the only thing Sprint advertised for it, so a lot of people figured it was the same as the original Evo but with a 3D screen, so sales were pretty abysmal. It also had very strong initial support from community devs, but most of them dropped it or don't really release anything public, so the aftermarket support is also quite poor.

It sucks because the hardware was actually very good, but the software side of things just sucked. It might end up in a better situation once an official ICS build is available, but I personally jumped ship to a Galaxy Nexus.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
It's the same gimmick the 3DS uses, I just don't think it's especially practical for a phone. I'm a 3d nerd, though, so it's a slight value-add for me.

I'm going to be tempted to snap up one of these pretty quickly; if the speeds are significantly better that could keep me on VM, and I can toss my Triumph to my wife who is currently using a dumbphone.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
So I take it the only real way to get in VM is to use one of their phones you buy from them? I couldn't port an unlocked sprint phone that I buy on my own, like a Nexus?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
3D is a gimmick, but EVO 3D still has better spec than Sensation, which was HTC's global faltship one year ago.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

jeeves posted:

So I take it the only real way to get in VM is to use one of their phones you buy from them? I couldn't port an unlocked sprint phone that I buy on my own, like a Nexus?
Correct; although Virgin Mobile USA is owned by Sprint, they have the list of ESNs of the phones they sold as Virgin Mobile phones, and only those ESNs may be activated on Virgin Mobile.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

whatever7 posted:

3D is a gimmick, but EVO 3D still has better spec than Sensation, which was HTC's global faltship one year ago.
As I recall the 3D and the sensation are nearly identical, excepting the camera module and screen.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
EVD 3D has more memory. I really don't use camera on phones. Couldn't care less.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
If I jump on the StraightTalk bandwagon with an unlocked Galaxy Nexus, will I be on the AT&T network or the T-mobile network? (or both? is that possible?)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Hog Obituary posted:

If I jump on the StraightTalk bandwagon with an unlocked Galaxy Nexus, will I be on the AT&T network or the T-mobile network? (or both? is that possible?)
They offer SIMs for both, you decide when you order.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Hog Obituary posted:

You can choose either carrier and congrats the Galaxy Nexus one of VERY few phones that does both AT&T and T-mobile 3G.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 16, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Stick100 posted:

You can choose either and its one of VERY few phones that does both AT&T and T-mobile 3G.

edit: nevermind, misread your post.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Get $25 if you buy an LG Optimus Elite on Virgin:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/18/3028425/good-deal-virgin-optimus-25-google-wallet

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
It kind of blows my mind that they're still selling the triumph for 280 loving dollars.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm really hoping some Target or Best Buy just decides to start unloading the EVO V next Saturday. What are the odds of that happening??

I also kinda hate that VM makes you choose between NFC and ICS. If only. If only...

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

2012 is shaping up to be the year of the MVNO. Added two new options: U-Prepaid and Voyager Mobile.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You also get a $35 account credit (i.e. first month free on the cheapest plan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Rastor posted:

You also get a $35 account credit (i.e. first month free on the cheapest plan).

For new accounts - I don't mind though, I like paying 25 still. Also the activating of wallet and getting the first $$ was super easy.
Actually I picked this up at Walmart so I could be wrong on that, but so far no free month.

Coffee Wolf fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 21, 2012

• Locked thread