Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

mtreecorner posted:

Yeah, the only reason i thought about getting something before was to drive to FSI... but the sirens convinced me. :)

That is surprising... I would think motorcycles would be easier/less a burden than cars. Guess it's a safety issue.

Exactly, safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Ah, but I am a great believer in the healing power of donated organs from donorcycle motorcycle riders!

But yeah, at least in the USA it is likely the ambulance will eventually make it your way -- not always the case overseas.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Business of Ferrets posted:

Ah, but I am a great believer in the healing power of donated organs from donorcycle motorcycle riders!

But yeah, at least in the USA it is likely the ambulance will eventually make it your way -- not always the case overseas.

Updated my vehicle post :v

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Since nobody knows what the QEP panel is looking for at any one time, you might as well make an application instead of self-censoring.

I'm not a stats guy, but it seems to me that if, by applying, you make your chances non-zero, that is a huge improvement over simply not applying, right?
I have no degrees under my belt and most of my jobs have been in various call centers. I applied last November, passed the written test in February and submitted my personal narratives in March. I am still waiting on an email telling me whether or not I am invited to the oral assessment.

You really never know what they are looking for. I figured it was better to try and fail than to not try, and who knows I may not fail still!

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
I highly advise not going month to month. As someone who worked in the property management before moving overseas for the FS, I highly advise taking the diplomatic clause route and not month to month option. I believe FSI can provide a sample writing of what this clause looks like, very similar to standard military clause. Any decent apartment community will add this clause for you.

As well as, most communities actually add a premium for a month to month lease. So especially those who are not receiving per-diem this is not ideal at all.

If anyone needs recommendations for complexes I used to work for a company in the DC area and know comunities through out, the Maryland border, DC, Pentagon/Crystal City, Roslyn, Alexandria, and other areas. Please feel to PM if you need assistance or have questions.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Closet Nerd posted:

As well as, most communities actually add a premium for a month to month lease. So especially those who are not receiving per-diem this is not ideal at all.

As a former Property Manager you've probably more expertise than I have on the topic... but am I wrong in understanding the bargaining power he has is, he currently rents there and the lease is about to expire. So the landlord can either a) roll their dices and try to find a new tenant in this market, or b) let him stay for a few more months and delay having to look for a new tenant until the fall, which is when people tend to look to move in.

My landlord DID want to raise the price to match, but I told him I wasn't interested in doing that since I didn't plan on "being here" much longer. Of course, it turned out I'm here for another five months at least, but I'm still paying the same rate without being locked in.

Otherwise, I am 100% with you on that advice if you're looking for a new apartment. Definitely do the diplo clause.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011
I am just going to do the regular lease. The issue with the diplo clause is that I don't want my current roommate to think i will just bail of him without getting him another roommate to share the rent. Though, I have a hunch they will add it in since Crystal City has a bunch of government folks... so it shouldn't be weird.

On a related note, if I got assigned a post that wanted me right away... how short a time-frame could I have before I had to fly out? Would I least get a week or two or would they be wanting me to fly out within a few days?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

mtreecorner posted:

I am just going to do the regular lease. The issue with the diplo clause is that I don't want my current roommate to think i will just bail of him without getting him another roommate to share the rent. Though, I have a hunch they will add it in since Crystal City has a bunch of government folks... so it shouldn't be weird.

On a related note, if I got assigned a post that wanted me right away... how short a time-frame could I have before I had to fly out? Would I least get a week or two or would they be wanting me to fly out within a few days?

Depends. Most OMSs I was with had the 3 week general orientation and then 2 weeks of OMSs class (how to use excel) and then a week of consultations (this is where you pack out, meet with your desk officers and poo poo, and then out to Post. We started essentially April 1, and 3/4s of the OMSs were out to Post in May. A few didn't need to be at post right away so they got language or other training.

Edit: everybody gets a week of consultations so you can get everything squared away for PCSing, so even if you were needed yesterday, you'll still get 5 business days of consultations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

mtreecorner posted:

I'm not FS or diplo (or even government anymore) but do live in DC and just finished apartment hunting - several places used form leases that had diplo clauses built in. For any major or even medium sized management company, just ask and they'll add it (if you're FS, anyway). A lot of individual landlords will add it too.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

mtreecorner posted:

Please get out of this habit. That diplo clause is crucial for you because you simply don't know how long you're going to be there before they order you to another post. Not having the clause doesn't protect you from a new set of orders you know...

Closet Nerd
Feb 21, 2011
That is very sweet of you to be concerned about your roommate, however, what happens if you don't find someone to take over your portion of the lease? Plus that person is going to have to pass the application screening process as well.

What I would do is get the Clause ASAP! and then have a nice sit down chat with your roommate. Explain your new job/lifestyle. That you have the clause now in their contract and you promise to do whatever you can in the short amount of time notice you will probably have to find someone else for the apartment.

Honestly when my then fiance (now husband) and I did it. Though he is the diplomat and I am not, we were both let out of the lease.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

Vilerat posted:

Please get out of this habit. That diplo clause is crucial for you because you simply don't know how long you're going to be there before they order you to another post. Not having the clause doesn't protect you from a new set of orders you know...

I guess the point is, for a few reasons it is easier for me to stay in this apartment until I leave. To stay in this apartment, I need a roommate to share the rent but I'm pretty sure he won't agree to be put in that position of possible getting scr*wed over if I can just get out of the lease. I am going to try to get the clause in but not if that is a make or break issue with him. Regardless, I plan on finding a new roommate for him or paying my half of the rent until I do... just because of the circumstance its the right thing to do.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
Keep in mind breaking your lease is going to affect your credit rating / reporting (if you don't pay, eviction and they'll report it to a collections. I don't know what will happens if H.R. gets an eviction summons notice, but I can't imagine that looking good? ), which also has an effect on your security clearance review later on.

Personally, I would get the diplo clause put in. You don't need to gently caress your roommate over, but you can't exactly say "No" to travel orders either. Your roommate should understand that should you stay in the FS, you will be leaving; it is just a matter of when. I'd like to say you would have at the very least, a one month's notice (or thereabouts) before you ship out to post. (But no guarantees!)

Maybe meet them in the middle? Put the clause in, agree to advance your roommmate for the next month when you have to leave, and allow them the option to re-negotiate the lease terms with the landlord after? That way you are giving them ~2 months which should be adequate notice.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

Skandiaavity posted:

Keep in mind breaking your lease is going to affect your credit rating / reporting (if you don't pay, eviction and they'll report it to a collections. I don't know what will happens if H.R. gets an eviction summons notice, but I can't imagine that looking good? ), which also has an effect on your security clearance review later on.

Personally, I would get the diplo clause put in. You don't need to gently caress your roommate over, but you can't exactly say "No" to travel orders either. Your roommate should understand that should you stay in the FS, you will be leaving; it is just a matter of when. I'd like to say you would have at the very least, a one month's notice (or thereabouts) before you ship out to post. (But no guarantees!)

Maybe meet them in the middle? Put the clause in, agree to advance your roommate for the next month when you have to leave, and allow them the option to re-negotiate the lease terms with the landlord after? That way you are giving them ~2 months which should be adequate notice.

I understand all of that.

I don't want to get too in the weeds on this topic. But, I won't be breaking a lease. With most big management companies, you can switch a new roommate in on the lease (to replace you) thru their internal process. Anyhow, I checked with them today... They will let me put in the clause but with 60 day notice. So, I have that protection for what its worth.

EDIT: By the way... for those interested you can find the clause here: http://www.afsa.org/PublicationsResources/OnlineFSResources/TheForeignServiceClause.aspx

EDIT EDIT: Just to add... it considerably easy to find people looking for housing in DC. Its a huge rental market. Doing it in a week might be a little too tight but generally it's not hard to replace a roommate.

mtreecorner fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 12, 2012

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
soooo... diplomaticus.. nice post on the yahoo boards. (Man, that was a trainwreck)

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Skandiaavity posted:

Man, that was a trainwreck

Hahahahahaha. I hadn't seen that thread.

I'm sometimes reminded of the high levels of idealism brand-new FSOs (and aspirants) often have. All the way up until the point they first realize that diplomacy is mostly a stronger country cajoling a weaker country into doing things not always clearly in the latter's interests.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Yeah that person is clearly someone I would NOT want to work with.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

I'm sometimes reminded of the high levels of idealism brand-new FSOs (and aspirants) often have. All the way up until the point they first realize that diplomacy is mostly a stronger country cajoling a weaker country into doing things not always clearly in the latter's interests.

It's still ongoing, with seemingly more and more analysis into every other post's language.

A co-worker that's looking for something to be angry/lash out on, forcing everyone to walk on eggshells all the time is definitely not someone I would enjoy at post.

(edit, i should clarify: Most if not all HR in any place takes harassment very seriously and there's a time and place for language, but people have their own way of winding down or senses of humor. There's no reason to confront or berate them for using an idiom, even if it's at a meeting, let H.R. do that. It's their job.)

Skandiaavity fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 13, 2012

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011

Skandiaavity posted:

A co-worker that's looking for something to be angry/lash out on, forcing everyone to walk on eggshells all the time is definitely not someone I would enjoy at post.

This. Seems like every office has one person who just GETS OFFENDED at everything.

HOORAY
Jul 13, 2001

Thanks Turkish Air for embargoing all our incoming DPO!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
At least you have DPO.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Diplomaticus posted:

At least you have DPO.

dontbidaf.txt

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
ehhh a few NEA spots don't have em either.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

dontbidaf.txt

Some of AF actually does have DPO.

That's also my one of my requirements when bidding.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Good luck with that. DOD is being a pain in the rear end right now and cutting support for DPO's here in our little corner of EUR. Also on the block are DOD sponsored activities such as commissary and BX/PX. Something about our role in the SOFA (we're not in it).

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vilerat posted:

Good luck with that. DOD is being a pain in the rear end right now and cutting support for DPO's here in our little corner of EUR. Also on the block are DOD sponsored activities such as commissary and BX/PX. Something about our role in the SOFA (we're not in it).

Where's SecDef Gates :(

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Vilerat posted:

At least in Japan we're the ones who negotiate the SOFA. So, hand that feeds you, etc., etc.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
I've signed up to take the test in June! I've been told to concentrate on writing timed essays, know the different federal govt departments, know some stuff about the US Constitution & some general world events. Do you guys have any other advice? If so, it'll be hugely appreciated.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

picosecond posted:

I've signed up to take the test in June! I've been told to concentrate on writing timed essays, know the different federal govt departments, know some stuff about the US Constitution & some general world events. Do you guys have any other advice? If so, it'll be hugely appreciated.

Start thinking about leadership, interpersonal, intercultural and international experiences you've had. The bio section is graded and accounts for something like 25-30% of one's score.

ATI Jesus
Aug 14, 2003
I can walk on water with my ATI graphics card installed!

I'm sometimes reminded of the high levels of idealism brand-new FSOs (and aspirants) often have.

I love the rainbow balloon full of sunshine blown up their asses in orientation. My post is getting 24 new hires this summer in the consular section in addition to normal turnover. Several in the first crop are already whining about housing, traffic, furniture, how slow pouch is, etc.

Brazil was my repayment for Kosovo. These crybabies have no idea what they are in for on their next directed assignment. Don't expect to go from Brazil to Paris. I predict AF/NEA in their futures, or 1 year and 1 day tours that end with them leaving the service.

Orientation needs to learn how to manage the expectations of the new hires. It's not doing the newbies any service and just pisses off GSO and management.

mute
Jul 17, 2004

ATI Jesus posted:

1 year and 1 day tours that end with them leaving the service.

Curious, does "1 year and 1 day" mean they served the minimum at a post to get a ride home or something similar?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

True story:

While in the States, someone once unironically told my wife that she and her husband were planning on going to Germany to learn the language so that, once they got into the Foreign Service, they could be assigned to Switzerland.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Links! Links! I get Yahoo! posts sent to my spam thread.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

True story:

While in the States, someone once unironically told my wife that she and her husband were planning on going to Germany to learn the language so that, once they got into the Foreign Service, they could be assigned to Switzerland.

I think I just pulled a muscle laughing. Someone in my A100 class quit on DAY ONE because there weren't any German posts on our bid list.

pamchenko
Apr 16, 2011

True story:

Ahahahahahahaha! I have a friend who interned at an embassy last year and then got super excited about going into FS. She kept saying how much she'd love to go back to the country she interned in (which, to be fair, is not exactly a hot spot, but is geographically located in Europe), and I said that would be great, but isn't in any way guaranteed. Her response? "Oh, I know. I'd be okay going anywhere in Europe."

Okay, well, good luck with that!

In other news, I know it's supposed to be basically like vacation, but home leave kind of sucks. I miss my friends at post, my hometown is kind of boring and I don't really know anyone here any more and blah blah blah. I spent an hour today aimlessly wandering around Target because I didn't know what else to do with myself. I swear I'm going to log onto my work email tomorrow just to feel more at home. Okay, and also to try to clear up this issue where GSO is accusing me of having stolen a humidifier out of my apartment. But maybe someone will be available on Gchat!

[sigh] This is pathetic.

Philemon
Apr 8, 2012
I apologize if this has already been covered.

Any goons in this thread that are regional medical officers and could speak to that experience? I am a few years away from the required 5 years of primary care experience out of residency but would love to talk to someone who is doing it as I am very seriously considering trying to apply to do this.

Thank you.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

pamchenko posted:

In other news, I know it's supposed to be basically like vacation, but home leave kind of sucks. I miss my friends at post, my hometown is kind of boring and I don't really know anyone here any more and blah blah blah. I spent an hour today aimlessly wandering around Target because I didn't know what else to do with myself. I swear I'm going to log onto my work email tomorrow just to feel more at home. Okay, and also to try to clear up this issue where GSO is accusing me of having stolen a humidifier out of my apartment. But maybe someone will be available on Gchat!

[sigh] This is pathetic.

I'm on home leave now. I'm wandering around Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas with my husband meeting his extended family - we got married at post in March and didn't meet anyone outside of our parents prior to gettin' hitched. When it's love, you'll go to rural Kansas with your husband and grit your teeth while his relatives talk about that communist president.

On the plus side, I get to drink a lot of beer that isn't Efes. You have no idea how happy this makes me.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

pamchenko posted:

Ahahahahahahaha! I have a friend who interned at an embassy last year and then got super excited about going into FS. She kept saying how much she'd love to go back to the country she interned in (which, to be fair, is not exactly a hot spot, but is geographically located in Europe), and I said that would be great, but isn't in any way guaranteed. Her response? "Oh, I know. I'd be okay going anywhere in Europe."

Okay, well, good luck with that!

[sigh] This is pathetic.

I think you're doing homeleave wrong.

I drank gallons of microbeer and played video games all day long while drinking blended coffee drinks from the local coffee shop.

It was the best 4 weeks of my life.

We're planning our next HL with a driving trip on the west coast seeing friends/family and drinking great wine/camping/hiking.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
I think I need to go somewhere lovely so I can appreciate HL again. I think I got 110 days of HL that I will never, ever, spend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

TCD posted:

I think you're doing homeleave wrong.

I drank gallons of microbeer and played video games all day long while drinking blended coffee drinks from the local coffee shop.

It was the best 4 weeks of my life.

Again, confirming that the Foreign Service is what I want to do.