Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

If WWE put real interest in making strong documentaries about year-long runs, and put really strong and representative collections of matches. I could see them working really well.

But WWE DVDs seemed to get really lazy and sloppy around the same time they stopped being a big deal and I guess stopped selling as well. I don't know if the chicken came before the egg but I remember a time of like the nWo, ECW, Four Horsemen, and Monday Night War DVDs where they seemed to all be really strong and involved, even with a touch of rewriting history. But after awhile it just seemed like every DVD discussion became "How's the documentary?" "Eh, nothing special." and I quit buying them.

Or maybe I'm just thinking they were better out of nostalgia or something. I don't know.

Documentaries from the past couple years have generally been good. I enjoyed the Chris Jericho, Steve Austin and The Rock ones, at least. Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart was also really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The problem with a lot of their documentaries is that they are histories rather than something new.
Basically they need more real life stuff like the Cena DVD that shadowed him and less recaps every major feud like the Edge DVD.

It's not a true documentary but Bret vs. Shawn was a good idea and that tanked horribly.

e: The Rock's documentary is good and would have been great had they not saved the visit to Samoa for the Rock vs. Cena hype show.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 15, 2012

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ol Junebug posted:

Too bad. Maybe a straight digital release? Or hell, just throw em up on Netflix to stir up interest in the brand. I just wish I could rewatch the attitude era again.

In theory the network will be for stuff like this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The problem with a lot of their documentaries is that they are histories rather than something new.
Basically they need more real life stuff like the Cena DVD that shadowed him and less recaps every major feud like the Edge DVD.
You're entitled to what you're looking for from them but personally I LIKE the histories. I like going back over stuff I saw and reliving it. Or even better is going and in some way truly experiencing some piece of wrestling history I missed. Personally I have zero interest in what John Cena does on his days off.

And at least my impression was that WWE DVDs were putting out top notch histories for awhile and every new set had this huge buzz and great reviews that made me want to go out and buy them. But then after awhile the reviews all seemed to imply they were just throwing clips together or doing some personal interest stories. And that's when I stopped really paying attention to what WWE was releasing on DVD.

Obviously its different audiences and different things we want. My guess is there's an audience out there who wants introspective personal interest pieces about John Cena and there's an audience out there who wants in-depth explorations of some major wrestling stories or periods.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Not sure if this has been addressed, but have the production styles been discussed - specifically things like camera use and angles from the past to the present. I have noticed that wrestling now has 'action' camera where in they zoom in and out and move side to side, generally more movement than the way they were shot in the good ole days. I suppose this is to disguise botched spots and to add drama and excitement, but I was wondering if there has been any acknowledgement of this through things like articles and such. It's an interesting thing how the look and feel of wrestling has changed throughout the years and this is one small but significant aspect of that in my opinion.

Ol Junebug
Jan 27, 2009

Sufferin' succotash

MassRayPer posted:

In theory the network will be for stuff like this.

Is...is that still happening? I thought it had failed before launch and was buried or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They seem to be clinging to the idea, although I was under the impression it was a pipe dream. I guess it depends on how stubborn Vince is about it.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Vince has still been talking about the network in interviews. It's still happening as far as he's concerned.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

You're entitled to what you're looking for from them but personally I LIKE the histories. I like going back over stuff I saw and reliving it. Or even better is going and in some way truly experiencing some piece of wrestling history I missed. Personally I have zero interest in what John Cena does on his days off.

And at least my impression was that WWE DVDs were putting out top notch histories for awhile and every new set had this huge buzz and great reviews that made me want to go out and buy them.

WWE's documentaries are a mixed bag. Most of them are pretty bad and total distortions of history or just plain wrong and poorly researched. The ECW one was good, the WCCW one was pretty good but paled in comparison to Heroes, but most of them are such trash.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cardboard Box posted:

Vince has still been talking about the network in interviews. It's still happening as far as he's concerned.

From what I understand, Vince wants it to happen so it WILL happen. However, Vince also doesn't want to be pinned down on any actual specifics on how it will be run, what will be on it and how it will be structured, and they can't move forward until he does.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MassRayPer posted:

WWE's documentaries are a mixed bag. Most of them are pretty bad and total distortions of history or just plain wrong and poorly researched. The ECW one was good, the WCCW one was pretty good but paled in comparison to Heroes, but most of them are such trash.

I feel like WWE had a real nice run for awhile. ECW, Monday Night Wars, Four Horsemen and that got everyone excited for WWE DVDs. There was distortions and revisionist history but overall really good watches with a fair bit of the full story. But then they kind of seemed to go to crap. But I haven't watched one in forever. Horsemen was the last I bought, I think. So I admit I might be off.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ol Junebug posted:

Is...is that still happening? I thought it had failed before launch and was buried or something.

It is in theory launching in November.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

MassRayPer posted:

They're in talks with cable providers, but that's about all anyone really knows.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MassRayPer posted:

May 19th.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Here is a question: What is the most prestigious championship in CMLL?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Of the main belts used exclusively in CMLL, the Light Heavyweight Championship is the top belt in the promotion. In terms of prestige and lineage, the Mexican National Welterweight Championship and Mexican National Light Heavyweight Championship have origins all the way back to 1934 and 1943 respectively, and have gone through AAA, EMLL and other lesser-known promotions before being used in CMLL.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jerusalem posted:

From what I understand, Vince wants it to happen so it WILL happen. However, Vince also doesn't want to be pinned down on any actual specifics on how it will be run, what will be on it and how it will be structured, and they can't move forward until he does.

The whole reason the Network was announced in the first place was so Vince could get a jump on the rumored UFC network that ended up being a deal with Fox. He literally just stood in front of a bunch of people and said "We're starting the WWE Network and the date is WrestleMania weekend!" and then went about trying to put together an entire cable channel in six months with no experience or plan or connections or loving anything. Now he doesn't want to look like a jackass (too late) so he's forced to say a few words about it at every press conference or stockholder meeting.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I was browsing WWEshop.com the other day, and is there any reason why their selection is so small? They have around 40 T-shirts total, and like 10 blu-ray titles listed on the site (half of which seem to be out of stock at any given time). I mean, it's the drat official WWE store, come on now. Why is it I can find a Roddy Piper "ringer" shirt on some random 80's T-shirt site but not through WWE?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

For those who may be familiar or have seen their episodes either on TV or on YouTube, what's anybody's perception of Pro Wrestling Ohio/PRIME WRESTLING, both of the company overall and the wrestlers on their roster?

It's the only wrestling show I've ever really watched and I, admittedly, stumbled upon it on accident early in its first season and have been hooked because it's a "so bad, it's good" thing to watch on Sunday nights. It's obviously an independent promotion, but it's had a TV deal on SportsTime Ohio, a Cleveland-based sports channel that can be seen statewide, since their (PWO) launch in 2007. I was just curious as to how PWO's viewed among the world of independent wrestling.

e- Link: http://www.primewrestling.com/index2.php

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 15, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Minidust posted:

I was browsing WWEshop.com the other day, and is there any reason why their selection is so small? They have around 40 T-shirts total, and like 10 blu-ray titles listed on the site (half of which seem to be out of stock at any given time). I mean, it's the drat official WWE store, come on now. Why is it I can find a Roddy Piper "ringer" shirt on some random 80's T-shirt site but not through WWE?

My guess is that unless the product is really, really popular, they only run limited prints of them.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

WWE Shop is not a big business for them.
They disclose the total orders in their financial reports and WWE Shop generally averages under 100 sales a day.

Merch exists to be sold at shows and even then the most popular non-Cena stuff regularly sells out.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
My one off question:

What is the reason wrestling fans obsess over financial figures so much -- in particular WWE fans?

I mean, you don't see this in any other sport/venture/whatever. Are people fearful they're going to run out of money or something?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kwohlge posted:

My one off question:

What is the reason wrestling fans obsess over financial figures so much -- in particular WWE fans?

I mean, you don't see this in any other sport/venture/whatever. Are people fearful they're going to run out of money or something?

In short yes.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

kwohlge posted:

My one off question:

because there is a chance that if wrestling continues to plummet financially and in popularity there is a chance there may be no pro wrestling in the future.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

kwohlge posted:

I mean, you don't see this in any other sport/venture/whatever.

Sure you do, actually almost every other professional sport. Turn on sports talk radio and half of the discussion is salaries and attendance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

Sure you do, actually almost every other professional sport. Turn on sports talk radio and half of the discussion is salaries and attendance.

Every Yankees broadcast (and I imagine alllocal broadcast of a baseball games) announces ticket sales and attendance as well, and sometimes comments on how badly Team X does at the gate.

Diquebutt
Feb 17, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I'm not into wrestling, but I watched a friends match after he posted it to me and...was this guy SUPPOSED to take a boot like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SHx1hYpmtDw

It's at 6:00 if you don't wanna watch the whole thing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wrestling revenue discussions are also spurred on by the bottom falling out of Japanese wrestling and WWE's profit model becoming almost entirely dependent on one event a year and a Mattel toy deal.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

For those who may be familiar or have seen their episodes either on TV or on YouTube, what's anybody's perception of Pro Wrestling Ohio/PRIME WRESTLING, both of the company overall and the wrestlers on their roster?

It's the only wrestling show I've ever really watched and I, admittedly, stumbled upon it on accident early in its first season and have been hooked because it's a "so bad, it's good" thing to watch on Sunday nights. It's obviously an independent promotion, but it's had a TV deal on SportsTime Ohio, a Cleveland-based sports channel that can be seen statewide, since their (PWO) launch in 2007. I was just curious as to how PWO's viewed among the world of independent wrestling.

e- Link: http://www.primewrestling.com/index2.php

As a fellow Columbus goon, I've also seen this quite a few times. It's okay.

They've had some good guys go through there like Johnny Gargano and Matt Cross and occasionally Jimmy Olsen and Colin Delaney, but most of the people are trash.

It's just your typical lovely regional indy. It's better than NWA Mountain State but it's not in the same universe as the major indies.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!

Diquebutt posted:

I'm not into wrestling, but I watched a friends match after he posted it to me and...was this guy SUPPOSED to take a boot like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SHx1hYpmtDw

It's at 6:00 if you don't wanna watch the whole thing.

No I dont think he is supposed to take a kick like that

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
Can anyone pinpoint for me the match that caused the Outlaw Rule to exist? A friend barely remember this, and I want to try and find the match where they try to pin each other but I have no idea when it was.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Magneto Rex posted:

Can anyone pinpoint for me the match that caused the Outlaw Rule to exist? A friend barely remember this, and I want to try and find the match where they try to pin each other but I have no idea when it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijNwppkyllw

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

BAN DICKEYE posted:

because there is a chance that if wrestling continues to plummet financially and in popularity there is a chance there may be no pro wrestling in the future.

Oh, pro wrestling'll still be around, it'll just be relegated to carny acts again.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

thesteelhellion posted:

Oh, pro wrestling'll still be around, it'll just be relegated to carny acts again.
It already is. TNA is literally a theme park sideshow.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
As long as there is a high school gym or a National Guard armory to set a ring up in, there will always be pro wrestling. :patriot:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I like following the ratings / financials of WWE because I haven't really liked the product for years, and the more things slip the more vindicated I feel.

I don't want the company to go out of business, but if ratings keep falling we'll be getting closer and closer to them hopefully shaking things up.

Then again, they're pretty much entrenched. Stephanie will not be removed as head of creative without her suggesting it. Vince lords over the whole thing. Cena is their one proven golden boy. Without at least one of these things changing, we're stuck with what we got.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Here's a slightly morbid question that is sort of related. I assume HHH, Vince, and Stephanie all travel together fairly regularly. What happens to WWE if they're all taken out in a plane crash or vehicle accident? Being publicly traded, I assume the board elects a new CEO, and that person fills positions as required, but this is Vince, so I'm not sure. And if so, any hypothetical suggestions on who'd be asked to take top spot?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I assume Vince has a VHS tape he recorded in 1998 on what to do on the event of his death, and it is filled with crazy requests and orders.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Oh god....KEVIN DUNN!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

I assume Vince has a VHS tape he recorded in 1998 on what to do on the event of his death, and it is filled with crazy requests and orders.

Vince has not reached VHS yet. BETAMAX BABY.