Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

Rick posted:

This isn't exactly related to your question Mr. Onslaught, but http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/ is very useful for seeing what is where, which is important when space is at a premium.

This is great, thanks. Finder should have something like this by default imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I just upgraded from Safari 5.0.5 to 5.1.7, and it has mostly been a seamless transition. One annoying problem I've run into though is the way new tabs now behave when opened from a link. Instead of opening at the right side of the tab bar, they now open just to the right of the tab I was using.

Is there anyway to go back to the previous way? I've tried all the hidden preference tweak programs I could find (Deeper, MacPilot), and none of them address this issue.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Mr. Onslaught posted:

This is great, thanks. Finder should have something like this by default imo

Unlikely to happen, one of the changes Apple appears to be making to all of their software is trying to get away from the ingrained concept of a traditional folder/file structure.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

This is really bugging me - Finder refuses to search my network shares

This happens on both SMB and AFP shares. I go to a folder on a share and want to do a simple name search and nothing is returned

I'm running Lion 10.7.4

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

I'm confused by the 'Beginning' key binding in Movist:

What key is this?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

andyf posted:

What key is this?

home button

does anyone know of an app/script/automator action that will redo batch filenames for me? i have 700+ AIFF files i want to put on my old rear end sampler synthesizer, but it won't read anything with a name thats longer than 8,3 and i don't want to manually rename all the files...

edit: found Name Mangler, works great with some regular expressions, very useful for compilcated batch jobs like changing "808TomLo-Kult_aOrig.aiff" into "TOMLO001.AIF"

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 13, 2012

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

andyf posted:

What key is this?

Looks like the 'top of page' key next to Page Up. Or Home, I guess.

e;fb

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

You quarter circle forward and then hit the punch button to make Ryu rewind the video.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Is there really any effective way of blocking or managing Safari's cookie preferences? I'm really reluctant to instal SIMBL just for a preference pane (which doesn't actually block them, it just removes them after the fact).

I usually use Chrome or Firefox for this purpose, but I really like Safari otherwise...

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does anyone here use Spotify on Lion? I've got a weird bug where after the last update I have a Spotify app icon on my Launchpad as well as a Spotify.tmp app. Oddly enough, Spotify.tmp doesn't appear in my Applications folder.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
Can a mac server serve email for multiple domains? I have 50 users that I need to provide email for, each would like their own domain. Can a current mac mini server provide email for 50 different domains, assuming only one or two email accounts per domain?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

rincewind101 posted:

This is really bugging me - Finder refuses to search my network shares

This happens on both SMB and AFP shares. I go to a folder on a share and want to do a simple name search and nothing is returned

I'm running Lion 10.7.4

Try out Find Any File.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lord funk posted:

Oh, you mean like this? (I just disconnected the monitor for a while, reconnected it)

Edit: and yes, logging out and back in fixed it. What a mess.

I was wondering, has anyone who upgraded to 10.7.4 seen any of these glitches? I noticed I haven't, and I'm starting to think they've been fixed. If so, nice, although who knows what fun Mountain Lion will bring?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Any ideas as to why I can't connect to a windows machine?
I can RDP into it just fine, and it shows up in "All" in Finder, but it always gives me Connection Failed. I can access other windows machines on the same network flawlessly.
For some reason, it doesn't respond to ping either: it either gives me

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

or

76 bytes from 64.59.147.193: Destination Net Unreachable
Vr HL TOS Len ID Flg off TTL Pro cks Src Dst
4 5 00 5400 9aff 0 0000 3f 01 5dc5 192.168.0.194 192.186.0.192

10.7.3 on the latest Mini

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You want to connect how? SMB? Also it might drop ICMP.

Either way try with the windows FW disabled.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Anyone else used Photoshop CS6 on OS X and gotten pissed that they've completely ignored the OS X windows behaviour by giving it a Windows-esq window frame as the default option?

(I know it's easily disabled, but apps that ignore the standard mannerisms of any OS drive me crazy)

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost

Experto Crede posted:

(I know it's easily disabled, but apps that ignore the standard mannerisms of any OS drive me crazy)

Hello and welcome to Adobe.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Is there a way to show 'Busy' contacts in the Messages drop down menu? It only shows my Available contacts.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

In other updater news, Apple's Leopard Security Update 2012-003 will only run on Intel Macs. Trying to run it on a PPC gives the 'will not run on this computer' error.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Experto Crede posted:

Anyone else used Photoshop CS6 on OS X and gotten pissed that they've completely ignored the OS X windows behaviour by giving it a Windows-esq window frame as the default option?

This will probably make me the black sheep of the thread, but I actually prefer that behaviour in Photoshop. I know "hide others" exists, but I like being able to cmd-tab to Photoshop and have it literally black out my screen of anything but Photoshop. I set CS5 to do the exact same thing.

I've talked to others who say the same thing, so I actually think this is less Adobe doing something for the sake of doing it, but more doing it for an express task-driven purpose based on actual feedback.

I mean that's just what I want to think.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
I had my uni account blocked which made it impossible to connect even to the the intra net. Now, I resolved that issue and reset my password but I still can't connect through my laptop. I'd guess their server is still reading some old info or something and resetting safari, opening firewall, emptying cache didn't work. I can connect through other machines, Windows as well as OSX machines but not mine. Is there anything else I can do?

Safari says it doesn't recognise addresses starting with open-help-anchor:ibrw1071

Didion fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 15, 2012

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

evil_bunnY posted:

You want to connect how? SMB? Also it might drop ICMP.

Either way try with the windows FW disabled.

I'd like to connect so I can copy files over. Tried it in Finder, and tried the cmd-K way with smb://192.168.0.192

With Windows FW disabled, it still doesn't connect.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Experto Crede posted:

No sorry mate, but I can say that myself and my other designers in my firm absolutely love the one window behaviour of CS6. It's a godsend when multi-monitoring with a laptop... I can unplug my air, and then resize the window and its all fine, no more dragging multiple window crap around all over the place and resetting the workspace.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Spork Heidelberg posted:

I just upgraded from Safari 5.0.5 to 5.1.7, and it has mostly been a seamless transition. One annoying problem I've run into though is the way new tabs now behave when opened from a link. Instead of opening at the right side of the tab bar, they now open just to the right of the tab I was using.

Is there anyway to go back to the previous way? I've tried all the hidden preference tweak programs I could find (Deeper, MacPilot), and none of them address this issue.
I think that was added a while back, like Lion/Safari 5 came out maybe. I still haven't done the update and have it work like that.

Binary Badger posted:

In other updater news, Apple's Leopard Security Update 2012-003 will only run on Intel Macs. Trying to run it on a PPC gives the 'will not run on this computer' error.
On the plus side it's cause there's no PPC Flashback. On the minus side it means the Java exploit is still open on PPC, and if you're referring to the Flash auto disabler I think it's cause the last PPC version was a while ago, so there's no latest version download to get.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm getting an odd graphical issue in Safari. Occasionally, the browser won't completely refresh the page when it scrolls down so that you get artifacts like this:

It seems to just be a forums issue, although I might have had some issues with Facebook but they're probably unrelated. I've already tried emptying my cache and disabling the SA Webkit fix extension, to no success. Any ideas?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

computer parts posted:

I'm getting an odd graphical issue in Safari. Occasionally, the browser won't completely refresh the page when it scrolls down so that you get artifacts like this:

It seems to just be a forums issue, although I might have had some issues with Facebook but they're probably unrelated. I've already tried emptying my cache and disabling the SA Webkit fix extension, to no success. Any ideas?
I've had this happen in Chrome, too. I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps it's an underlying WebKit issue?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

computer parts posted:

Funny, I only get that in chrome.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

unruly posted:

I've had this happen in Chrome, too. I'm not sure what it is. Perhaps it's an underlying WebKit issue?

I'm also now randomly having an issue where the scroll bar will alternate between being shown or hidden like so:

vs

e: It'll shift everything to the left when it appears and then shift back when it disappears. This occurs on places other than the forums.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

computer parts posted:

I'm also now randomly having an issue where the scroll bar will alternate between being shown or hidden like so:

I guess Apple's just trying to maintain its inconsistency consistently across the board. :v:

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)

computer parts posted:

I get this occasionally, but I just scroll back up over it and back down again and it fixes itself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just got a new imac and I'm having Airport problems. The internet frequently will cut out for a split second and reconnect. I have a macbook pro amongst numerous other wireless devices in the apartment and the problem seems to only be with the imac. Any thoughts?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
How can I reinstall iChat after getting rid of the Messages beta?

The Messages.app beta was really janky for me, constantly failing to connect to my Gtalk or Aim accounts and screen sharing often wouldn't work when it did previously with iChat. I've deleted it but it looks like it got rid of iChat when it was installed and I can't find a download link for iChat anywhere. I don't want to redownload the entire Lion .dmg just to get iChat, so I'm getting really pissed off with this now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

There's a Messages beta uninstaller. I think it's in Messages' program menu.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

kim jong-illin posted:

How can I reinstall iChat after getting rid of the Messages beta?

The Messages.app beta was really janky for me, constantly failing to connect to my Gtalk or Aim accounts and screen sharing often wouldn't work when it did previously with iChat. I've deleted it but it looks like it got rid of iChat when it was installed and I can't find a download link for iChat anywhere. I don't want to redownload the entire Lion .dmg just to get iChat, so I'm getting really pissed off with this now.

Did you delete it, or run the iMessages uninstaller?
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4196
^^^yeah, it's in the program menu.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Argh, thank you. Totally unintuitive to have an uninstaller hidden within a menu rather than as a stand-alone app.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Actually it's kind of more intuitive if you think about it. It's just that we've gotten so used to uninstallers as a separate app.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

computer parts posted:

vs

e: It'll shift everything to the left when it appears and then shift back when it disappears. This occurs on places other than the forums.

What do you have "Show scroll bars" set to in System Preferences > General? If it's Automatically, the computer may think some mouse is being connected and enabling them, then thinking it's disconnected later and disabling them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Actually it's kind of more intuitive if you think about it. It's just that we've gotten so used to uninstallers as a separate app.

But what if you can't open the app to un-install it?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just an FYI, in case anyone cared about my original complaint hat safari 5.2u3 saved dragged images as .webloc files instead of image files, Apple just closed my bug report as a Duplicate so I am lead to believe that it is actually a bug and not "as intended" :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
The week I've had a lot of problems with the audio balance - it looks like the balance is getting thrown to the left in the Sound preference pane. I googled around a bit and saw that this has been a regular and ongoing problem, but thought I'd mention it here in case anyone has a fix or workaround. It's really odd that it just started this week!