Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

coffeetable posted:

So, potential options:

- Arc Midi, stock (£55)
- Define R3, stock (£70)
- Arc Midi, swapped out fans (<£85, guessing <£10/fan)
- Define R3, extra pair of fans (<£90, guessing <£10/fan)
- Fifth option that I've missed completely due to Fractal Design & Anandtech tunnel vision (Corsair 500R? Shinobi with more fans?) If you've an alternative to suggest though, be aware that I'm very attached to the black monolith school of case design.

I just built a system last weekend using an Arc Midi, and while I don't, unfortunately, have any metrics for you, I can say that I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agreed posted:

Man, an extender for that ought to be packaged with PSUs. I always have to do some goofy poo poo like run it alongside the rear fan and tighten it to the fan with a zip-tie or something like that. And in this case, as a fellow NH-D14 (:love:) owner who did not plug in the 8-pin 'til the mobo and PSU were installed, let me tell you, plugging that barely-long-enough fucker in... was an unpleasant experience.

The cut on my hand still hasn't healed. :downs:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Folderol posted:

I just built a system last weekend using an Arc Midi, and while I don't, unfortunately, have any metrics for you, I can say that I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was.

Thanks for the reassurance :). In that case, I think a stock Arc Midi would suit my needs fine. Having said that,

KillHour posted:

If you want a "black monolith", you want the Define XL. http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=68

Christ almighty. It's without a doubt massive overkill - 8kg, £50 and likely ten litres more than I need - but I'm still mighty tempted. How many cable extensions would you guys recommend, were I to take the silly-daft-monolith route?

Got a week to think all this over either way. Cheers for the advice all :)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Agreed posted:

Man, an extender for that ought to be packaged with PSUs. I always have to do some goofy poo poo like run it alongside the rear fan and tighten it to the fan with a zip-tie or something like that. And in this case, as a fellow NH-D14 (:love:) owner who did not plug in the 8-pin 'til the mobo and PSU were installed, let me tell you, plugging that barely-long-enough fucker in... was an unpleasant experience.

See with the Archon your hand has plenty of room to grab the plug, and with the 650D and a seasonic based PSU there is plenty of room for the 8-pin to be pulled behind the motherboard tray :smugdog:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Dogen posted:

See with the Archon your hand has plenty of room to grab the plug, and with the 650D and a seasonic based PSU there is plenty of room for the 8-pin to be pulled behind the motherboard tray :smugdog:

Man, all I have to say to you is you can go... ... :qq:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dogen posted:

Noctua:

Airflow 110.3 / 92.3 m³/h
Airflow with U.L.N.A. 83,7 / 63,4 m³/h
Acoustical Noise 19,6 / 19,8 dB(A)
Acoustical Noise with U.L.N.A. 13,2 / 12,6 dB(A)

Archon:

Fan noise: 19~21dBA
Airflow: 95.14~124 m³/h

:smugdog:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 15, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Yeah, well, my penis is quieter and older than both of yours! :smug:

(I have a Thermalright Ultra 120 from god knows how long ago with a PWM Delta AFB strapped to it, I think.)

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

KillHour posted:

Noctua:

Airflow 110,3 / 92,3 m³/h

Archon:

Fan noise: 19~21dBA
Airflow: 56~73CFM

:smugdog:

More like 19-23dBA
Airflow: 38-84CFM

And I got two of those fans, so however you compound those numbers together :smugdog:

They're practically silent under load despite what the 23dBA might suggest.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

KillHour posted:

Noctua:

Airflow 110.3 / 92.3 m³/h
Thermalright HR-02:

Airflow: 0 m³/h
Acoustical Noise 0 dB(A) :colbert:

Technically only passive at idle :ssh:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I will literally beat you up, each of you, who wants to fight

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Agreed posted:

I will literally beat you up, each of you, who wants to fight

The guy with the largest hunk of metal cooler is probably going to win.

1.8 kilograms or almost four loving pounds.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

movax posted:

The guy with the largest hunk of metal cooler is probably going to win.

1.8 kilograms or almost four loving pounds.

I get such an irrational boner for that thing, even though its performance is extremely disappointing compared to boring old regular aluminum fins on the same model, and you probably ought to build some scaffolding to support the installation. It's just... so... beautiful :allears:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Agreed posted:

I get such an irrational boner for that thing, even though its performance is extremely disappointing compared to boring old regular aluminum fins on the same model, and you probably ought to build some scaffolding to support the installation. It's just... so... beautiful :allears:

This is true, I have the non Copper one and though it isn't copper, it still does look and perform drat good for how old it is. I was tempted to get a mounting kit for it to try on my SB-E Just to see how it would perform in a push/pull.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If there's one thing we can probably all agree on, it's that nickel plating is purty

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Okay, here's the deal: everyone pick your favorite heatsink, then we draw a circle on the ground, stick some Delta fans on them, and play heatsink sumo.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Does heat-sink design lead to larger cases, or do case changes lead to larger heat-sinks?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Factory Factory posted:

Okay, here's the deal: everyone pick your favorite heatsink, then we draw a circle on the ground, stick some Delta fans on them, and play heatsink sumo.
Sadly (?) mine doesn't really benefit from faster fans as it's more whatever flows over is enough. Kinda like a modern Tuniq Tower that was specced for 1366 hexacore chips and became kinda ridiculous when running a 1155 CPU.

I actually had a 250CFM Delta monster that would move across the table when you kicked it on... I got rid of that one when it tried to remove my finger.
Rather quickly got over the ludicrous-speed class of fans after that happened.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I go to Noctua for my 120mm/140mm fans because they apparently last the computer equivalent of forever, are incredibly quiet, and have great airflow for their noise level. Plus they're readily available.

Still using Corsair 200mm fans, and with three of them in the case, replacing them would represent a non-trivial pain in the rear end (and expense) so they're probably going to continue being used. Good enough air flow to noise - they're really, really quiet, and they move air well. My components stay cool.

I'll probably cut down on noise and give up on CUDA by picking up a nice, non-blower model of the GTX 680 in a month or two. Yeah, it's a big price premium for a ~10% performance increase, but 1. I won't be suggesting anyone else do it, and 2. I have to wonder about power delivery and overclocking capability given the remarkably shorter board on the 670.

LorneReams posted:

Does heat-sink design lead to larger cases, or do case changes lead to larger heat-sinks?

Not sure if this is a serious question, but I believe the interior dimensions would be part of the ATX specifications, and heat sink manufacturers take those into consideration (and so do case manufacturers). Cases with special features, motherboards with certain features, stupid tall peacock-feather RAM heatspreaders, and some heat sinks are incompatible (any mixture of those can present an incompatibility). Specs are revised, and so are designs. But the chicken probably comes first. We're lucky Intel didn't get their way when revising ATX, we'd have some screwed up layouts to work with internally...

Lars Krimi
Jul 1, 2003
I recently built a computer at work with the following: i5 2500K, asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3, Thermalright H2 Macho. I was able to overclock the CPU to 4.5 GHz with CPU temperatures lying stably between 52-54 degrees C during stress testing.

Now I have built a new system at home with an i5 3570K, asus p8z77-v Pro, the same cooler and the same case even. From what I had read in this subforum I was expecting to be able to overclock the 4570K to 4.5 GHz as well, but as it is I am unable to even hit 4.4 GHz without temperatures going to 75-80 degrees.

The only things I have changed in the BIOS are the following:
- Turbo ratio limit to x44.
- Manual CPU voltage control instead of offset.
- Had to increase the voltage to 1.25V to get it running stably with prime95.
- Disabled CPU PLL overvolting.
- Changed the DRAM frequency to 1600 from the default 1333 as I bought 1600 MHz RAM.
- Lowered the DRAM voltage to 1.5, as it was set at 1.655 by default.

With these changes I am seeing CPU temperatures occasionally getting as high as 80 degrees C. It appears that the highest i can go with temperatures below 72 degrees is 4.2 MHz. I am quite disappointed and hope that I have just made some stupid mistake. Is this what I can expect with the hardware I got, or can I do something to get better results?

Lars Krimi fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 16, 2012

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

Lars Krimi posted:

I recently built a computer at work with the following: i5 2500K, asus P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3, Thermalright H2 Macho. I was able to overclock the CPU to 4.5 GHz with CPU temperatures lying stably between 52-54 degrees C during stress testing.

Now I have built a new system at home with an i5 3570K, asus p8z77-v Pro, the same cooler and the same case even. From what I had read in this subforum I was expecting to be able to overclock the 4570K to 4.5 GHz as well, but as it is I am unable to even hit 4.4 GHz without temperatures going to 75-80 degrees.

The only things I have changed in the BIOS are the following:
- Turbo ratio limit to x44.
- Manual CPU voltage control instead of offset.
- Had to increase the voltage to 1.25V to get it running stably with prime95.
- Disabled CPU PLL overvolting.
- Changed the DRAM frequency to 1600 from the default 1333 as I bought 1600 MHz RAM.
- Lowered the DRAM voltage to 1.5, as it was set at 1.655 by default.

With these changes I am seeing CPU temperatures occasionally getting as high as 80 degrees C. It appears that the highest i can go with temperatures below 72 degrees is 4.2 MHz. I am quite disappointed and hope that I have just made some stupid mistake. Is this what I can expect with the hardware I got, or can I do something to get better results?
That's pretty much exactly my results too (with a dual-fan Hyper 212 Evo). I pulled the cooler off and found that the thermal grease was applied perfectly.

Lars Krimi
Jul 1, 2003
I tried to pull the side off the case which causes CPU temperatures to be about 10 degrees lower under stress test. Perhaps an extra case fan is in order?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Do modern Intel systems have any weird problems with running 4 sticks of ram? I want to build a new system with 16gb, but I will probably never upgrade and it looks like I can get 4 sticks of ram that is faster than 2 for less money.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
You might need to push the DRAM voltage a bit (I use 1.525V for my 4x4GB sticks), otherwise generally no.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

Lars Krimi posted:

I tried to pull the side off the case which causes CPU temperatures to be about 10 degrees lower under stress test. Perhaps an extra case fan is in order?
Yep - if temperatures decrease when you remove the case side, you need to work on your case airflow.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I got my Sapphire Radeon HD7850 today so how far can I safely overclock it on stock voltage? Do I just set the GPU clock slider all the to the right to 1050MHz in AMD overdrive on the CCC and call it a day?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I dunno. Read some reviews. Try it and do stability tests until it's as stable as you want it to be.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

grumperfish posted:

For anyone with an ATI/AMD card running catalyst 12.3 or higher:

If you want to use MSI Afterburner (the lastest version is the non-beta -> Beta15 just expired today) with catalyst version 12.3 or higher, and you want to unlock the overclocking limits, you'll need to do some extra steps.

AMD removed a couple .dll files from the newer catalyst drivers, so the files that Afterburner looks for are no longer there. You'll need to add them in.

You need to save the .dll files from here and then extract both of them into Afterburner's root directory. I copied atipdl64.dll to \Windows\system32\ & atipdlxx.dll to \Windows\SysWOW64\ per the instructions, but the AB root folder should suffice.

After this you'll want to run AB once (allow it to reboot when asked) to get the correct configuration profile for your card. This first-run creates the /profiles/ folder in AB's root directory.

Once it's back in windows, you'll need to make sure that BOTH MSIAfterburner.cfg files have the following modifications (make sure AB is closed when you do this) :

[ATIADLHAL]
UnofficialOverclockingMode=1
UnofficialOverclockingEULA=I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it

The cfg files are located at:
1)
/MSI Afterburner/Profiles/MSIAfterburner.cfg
(you'll need to add the above section to the bottom of this file)
2)
/MSI Afterburner/MSIAfterburner.cfg
(add the above section to the lines in this file as they're already present)

After you make the above modifications, run afterburner and you can overclock beyond CCC limits and enable voltage control or setup fan profiles or whatever. Enter your clocks manually as the toggles are pretty sensitive.

This is the guru3d thread talking about the .dll change with 12.3 and higher:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=359671

I've been playing around with the new AB version, and while there's not many changes from the latest beta, they added powertune options to the main window which is a nice feature if you want to pump more voltage into your card for some maxx-epeen-overclocking (aftermarket cooling whatup).

Could we get this added to the OP?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Have they changed fan mounting since 775? I have a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 or whatever and am wondering if I can use it on an 1155 motherboard.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Lowclock posted:

Have they changed fan mounting since 775? I have a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 or whatever and am wondering if I can use it on an 1155 motherboard.

Yep. I have the same cooler, just order a 1155/1156 adapter kit and you'll be a-ok. I don't recall the model # off-hand.

e: From FrozenCPU it was Thermalright LGA 1156 Bolt-Thru-Kit Rev B. (Ultra Series / MUX-120 / IFX-14 / Venomous X / Ultima 90 / Cogage True Spirit)

movax fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 18, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

movax posted:

Yep. I have the same cooler, just order a 1155/1156 adapter kit and you'll be a-ok. I don't recall the model # off-hand.

e: From FrozenCPU it was Thermalright LGA 1156 Bolt-Thru-Kit Rev B. (Ultra Series / MUX-120 / IFX-14 / Venomous X / Ultima 90 / Cogage True Spirit)
Here's a direct link to the Venomous-X bolt-through kit from Sidewinder:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/thvebtkinso1.html

And here's the one on FrozenCPU:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ue_Spirit_.html

The Ven-X style mounting kit is the same one that shipped with my HR-02. It's nice because you can tighten it for more pressure and you can re-mount the cooler without removing the motherboard from the case (note that this is tough when you're talking about the larger models). You may need a long philip's head screwdriver for the installation - I can't remember how wide the TRUE's are vs. the mounting kit's bolts.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm using an i5 2500k on an ASUS Sabertooth P67 motherboard and I'd love to reach 5.0 GHz.

Right now I'm at 4.5 GHz with 1.285v (manual) and LLC set to Ultra-High. (is this bad?)

What are my next steps to reaching 5.0 GHz?

I'm using a Thermaltake TRUE heatsink which I think might be limiting me but I don't know...

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Vinlaen posted:

I'm using an i5 2500k on an ASUS Sabertooth P67 motherboard and I'd love to reach 5.0 GHz.

Right now I'm at 4.5 GHz with 1.285v (manual) and LLC set to Ultra-High. (is this bad?)

What are my next steps to reaching 5.0 GHz?

I'm using a Thermaltake TRUE heatsink which I think might be limiting me but I don't know...

Please read the OP

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Got my most recent rig up and running - nothing huge but it gets the job done (so far). Some spare parts from another PC with a bad motherboard, parts I already had from previous old builds, and about $400 later, I got a decent little setup:

AMD Phenom II x4 820
Cooler Master Hyper212+ (using Arctic Silver 5 paste)
8GB G-Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600 (2 x 4GB)
1TB WD Caviar HDD
Asus M5A99X-EVO AM3+
Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1GB (1Ghz core, 1.2Ghz memory, 1.25v)
SB Audigy 2 ZS PCI (onboard Realtek for the Asus board sucks)
Antec 850W modular PSU
Antec 300 mid-tower case
Sony DVD-R/RW DL & CD-R/RW optical
Kingston V-Series 128GB SSD

So far I'm running Prime stress testing @ 3.72Ghz on the CPU, been stable thus far - I switched up how I did the overclock and tweaked a bit. Originally I had it running 265FSB with a 14x multiplier with the RAM running @ 1766 and HT running ~1988, but changed to 310FSB and 12x multi, RAM running at ~1655Mhz and HT at 1860 instead. I've pretty much hit the limit of the CPU itself, anything past 3.72Ghz locks the system up or fails Prime within a couple minutes.

Next purchase *might* be a Phenom x4 BE chip, saw a few on Newegg with promo codes and such...this chip is pretty decent but I'd like to have the extra cache and headroom with an unlocked multiplier.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Normally I wouldn't recommend buying any AMD chips, but the way that's volted, you probably will need a new one in a year or two, yeah.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I have a Hyper 212 Plus on my 2500K in a Fractal R3 and my computer is virtually silent at idle. However, the CPU cooler gets a little loud for my taste under load. I'd like to replace the 120mm on the Hyper 212.

I know there's some recommended fans in the OP, but there is a general consensus on the best (quiestest) 120mm PWM fan?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Factory Factory posted:

Normally I wouldn't recommend buying any AMD chips, but the way that's volted, you probably will need a new one in a year or two, yeah.

Yeah, CPU-Z reads different than anything else does, including BIOS. I checked around and the max "safe" voltage seems to be around 1.5v, but that 1.488v was the reading CPU-Z gave during the Prime testing. After I stopped the test it dropped back down to around 1.46, I'm still tweaking around to see what BIOS setting is causing the spike.

Also, I'm not using the stock fan that came with the Hyper 212 - I had a 2 pack of 120mm fans that are rated at 44CFM and put one of those on. It doesn't sound bad at all, in fact the case fans I have installed all pretty much drown it out (and they're all maybe 30-35CFM each).

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's probably better bang for your buck to add a second fan in push-pull. I used a slow fixed-speed Scythe Slipstream on mine, and it saved me 5 C on heat and therefore keeps the PWM fan off its fastest speed at full load. If you think you would need more, a 1000 RPM Noiseblocker Multiframe would do it.

Otherwise, you'd be looking at a pair of new fans to get significantly better performance. Noiseblocker also does a 120mm PWM fan, but the absolute best would be to get a ridiculous high-static-pressure fan and stick it on a rheostat. Very much diminishing returns for the price.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I swapped my H67 board to Z77 in order to overclock my 2600k to 4.6 GHz, but now my buddy who's buying the old motherboard for his dad wants the 2600k and is willing to trade me a 3770k he got for cheap from MicroCenter. I'm not even sure I want to:

1. It's a complete bitch to swap the CPU in my system, and I just did it a week ago.

2. I'm not sure I'll hit the same clock speeds or see a performance difference.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Why does his dad want the 2600K over the 3770K?

Anyway, equivalent average performance to your existing chip will be around 4.4 GHz, which shouldn't be a problem. I guess if you use QuickSync it's a cool deal?? Otherwise, it seems silly an arbitrary all around.

Alternatively, I'd swap with the guy for my 2500K :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Why does his dad want the 2600K over the 3770K?
I'm selling him the H67 board and memory at a good price; it just hasn't gotten a BIOS update for IVB yet. So now he wants my SNB processor. His dad would be more than fine with either one.