Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jjaarreett posted:

The game can (and IMO should) be completed in one sitting. The game is really, really good and there is some replay value/hidden stuff but no doubt that it is short. The experience is like no other though.

I knew Journey was worth the 15bux before I bought it based on everyone on the face of the earth liking it.

By the time I was finished, I was blown away at how worth it it was. One of a kind experience indeed.

e. Basically I fired it up and went from "Okay, yeah this is cool... oh wow wha... what... " and then my brain just kind of went on "take it all in" mode and a few hours later the credits rolled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
15 bucks barely buys you an IMAX ticket these days and that is about as long as Journey. Only Journey is interactive. And probably better than any movie you could see in IMAX.

Short answer: Unless you're somehow immune to the charms that every last one of us has fallen for, it's one of the most worth-it things I've ever played/paid for.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Journey does have replay value. The first experience is definitely the best and as many have said, and needs to be played in one session for maximum impact, but while the subsequent playthroughs might not have the same punch, they can be different and the charm is extremely persistent. Also it's one of the very few games where getting the trophies is a lot of fun (despite there not being an actual platinum for some reason) and it has pretty much the best soundtrack I've ever heard in a game.

After all the times I've played through it and the overall experience, I would've paid more for it. It's a bargain.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

Behonkiss posted:

So I put another hour or so into Yakuza 4 yesterday and am about to pick it up again, and now that the open-world aspect of it has become more available after the intro section, I'm enjoying it a little more. The whole hostess club aspect actually seems kind of neat, especially since I thought it sounded like a dumb fanservice-y thing when I heard it described, but it seems more personality and character-driven than anything, at least for the moment.

Two questions for those who know a lot about the game: Is there a good way to earn money outside of random fights? Also, I started a side mission with a guy at the loan office who screwed up three tests I gave him and then was assigned to another part of the city that I'm supposed to check, but I forgot which part it was and can't find any hints in the game or on GameFAQs. Where should I go to wrap that bit up?

Have you checked the substories menu? It usually tells you where to go next. I just looked this one up, apparently you're supposed to go to Shichifuku St West.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I'm trying to plat Nier because I played the game and liked it a lot.

This was a really, really stupid idea. But I can't stop now. Must... reload... again... :eng99:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Looking back on it, Nier wasn't so bad.

You got all the weapons, then you hosed around with the system clock to get the white flower, then you completed all those side quests, then you screwed with the clock some more to make more white flowers for more money, then you grinded for like 15 hours to get all the materials, and then you replayed the entire game again but beat it under 10 hours making sure not to "pause" the game or watch any cutscenes. And then when you're done you figure that you liked the game so much that importing NieR Replicant sounds like fun and so you go out and you do it all again but this time in a foreign language but hey it won't be so bad because you know the game inside out so it should all be a breeze and hey you get to see a more interesting take on the story and you get a new platinum and oh god i have made so many terrible decisions in life.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Mechanigma posted:

Have you checked the substories menu? It usually tells you where to go next. I just looked this one up, apparently you're supposed to go to Shichifuku St West.

Yeah, I totally forgot that menu was there. Found it pretty easily through that, though I still wish the map system allowed for custom waypoints and/or it was easier to differentiate the buildings you can and can't enter.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Just received a download code for some Starhawk DLC as "thanks for being a founding member of the Starhawk community." This is weird because I have never played Starhawk and never intend to since I refuse to give financial support to games using an online pass system. Sony might want to do better research into who's actually playing the game.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

...! posted:

Just received a download code for some Starhawk DLC as "thanks for being a founding member of the Starhawk community." This is weird because I have never played Starhawk and never intend to since I refuse to give financial support to games using an online pass system. Sony might want to do better research into who's actually playing the game.

I hardly ever check my e-mail. I logged in a couple months ago and saw that I had been invited to the Starhawk closed beta. Any chance you had gotten something like this? Might explain it.

Incidentally, this isn't the first closed beta I was invited to but missed out on because I don't check my e-mail. You think I'd learn.

Edit: Hello Max Payne 3, goodbye term papers :unsmith:

Edit 2:

I am an unapologetic R* fanboy. I have played a combined 1,500 hours easy between Vice City, San Andreas, GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, and Bully, and I have loved every single second. All of those games (and to a fair extent Midnight Club: LA) have a very distinct Rockstar feel, and it is a feel that I loving love. If you've played any 2 of these games, you'll know what I mean regardless of whether or not you enjoyed them. The dialogue, gameplay, and entire infrastructure of those games scream Rockstar.

Max Payne 3 feels entirely different. This is a game that makes you feel like you're John McClaine, only with a heftier cock. Sure, they might have rubbed the GTAIV case against it, but so far it has a distinct feel to it that I haven't seen in another Rockstar game.

Keep in mind that I skipped Max Payne 2 and I don't recall if they were the developers behind the original, but after playing the first act of MP3 I swear my balls dropped another inch.

titties fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 15, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

...! posted:

I participated in beta and didn't get a code for some reason. If you have no use for the code and don't mind passing it along, I'd appreciate it. :)

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

...! posted:

Were you a early or longtime Warhawk player? They said they were sending rewards to those people.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
If anyone else ended up with a Starhawk code that they aren't going to use I'd love to have it. I played the beta, played Warhawk for a few years, and still got nothing. :(

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

quote:

THQ will release Obsidian's upcoming South Park RPG in 2013
Bummer. Pushed out of 2012.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

Well, maybe with the extra time they'll actually release a bug free ga-bwahahahahahahah!

Sorry. I just couldn't finish typing out that sentence.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

axleblaze posted:

Well, maybe with the extra time they'll actually release a bug free ga-bwahahahahahahah!

Sorry. I just couldn't finish typing out that sentence.

Dungeon Siege 3 wasn't that buggy at all. Ran surprisingly well.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Harlock posted:

On the bright side Darksiders 2 :downs: got dated for August 14.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Dungeon Siege 3 wasn't that buggy at all. Ran surprisingly well.

Yep. It was just about the only game they've made with,
A: Their own engine.
B: Their own deadline.
C: Their own budget.

And lo and behold, it looks and runs great and is stable. It's almost as if what people were saying about publishers screwing them all this time is true.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
THQ is dropping Devil's Third (Itagaki's new game). It may never see the light of day now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Pandanaut posted:

THQ is dropping Devil's Third (Itagaki's new game). It may never see the light of day now.
That's more because THQ is in the dire straits than anything about the game though, right?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I think Saints Row is like the only thing keeping THQ afloat at this point.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Dominic White posted:

And lo and behold, it looks and runs great and is stable. It's almost as if what people were saying about publishers screwing them all this time is true.

Square Enix published it, but had the sense to let Obsidian do what they needed to do.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dominic White posted:

It's also pretty bad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up there is a pretty big Ubisoft sale going on in PSN right now. The prices are pretty great and even better of you have plus

quote:

From Dust – PlayStation Plus price $7.34; Sale price $10.49
Outland – PlayStation Plus price $4.89; Sale price $6.99
Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes – PlayStation Plus price $7.34; Sale price $10.49
Beyond Good & Evil HD – PlayStation Plus price $4.89; Sale price $6.99
Scott Pilgrim – PlayStation Plus price $4.89; Sale price $6.99
Prince of Persia Classic – PlayStation Plus price $4.89; Sale price $6.99
Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood – PlayStation Plus price $14.69; Sale price $20.99
Assassin’s Creed 2 – PlayStation Plus price *$9.79; Sale price $13.99
Assassin’s Creed – PlayStation Plus price *$9.79; Sale price $13.99
Far Cry 2 – PlayStation Plus price *$9.79; Sale price $13.99
Call of Juarez 2 – PlayStation Plus price *$9.79; Sale price $13.99
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands – PlayStation Plus price *$9.79; Sale price $13.99
Prince of Persia (2008) – PlayStation Plus price *$9.79; Sale price $13.99
Prince of Persia Classic Trilogy HD – PlayStation Plus price $19.59; Sale price $27.99
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time – PlayStation Plus price $7.34; Sale price $10.49
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within – PlayStation Plus price $7.34; Sale price $10.49
Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones – PlayStation Plus price $7.34; Sale price $10.49
Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood – Da Vinci Disappearance DLC – PlayStation Plus price $4.89; Sale price $6.99
Assassin’s Creed 2 – Battle of Forli DLC – PlayStation Plus price $1.95; Sale price $2.79
Assassin’s Creed 2 – Bonfire of Vanities DLC – PlayStation Plus price $3.42; Sale price $4.89
Far Cry 2 – Fortunes Pack DLC – PlayStation Plus price $2.44; Sale price $3.49
Call of Juarez 2 – Old West Map Pack DLC – PlayStation Plus price $4.89; Sale price $6.99
Prince of Persia (2008) – Epilogue DLC – PlayStation Plus price $4.89; Sale price $6.99
Scott Pilgrim – Knives Chau Add-On Pack DLC – PlayStation Plus price $0.97; Sale price $1.39
Assassin’s Creed: Bloodlines (PSP) – PlayStation Plus price $9.79; Sale price $13.99
Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood Complete Edition (includes Da Vinci Disappearance, Animus Project Update 1, Animus Project Update 2 and Copernicus Conspiracy Missions) – PlayStation Plus price $14.99; Sale price $24.99
Far Cry 2 Complete Edition (includes Fortune Pack) – PlayStation Plus price $11.99; Sale price $19.99
Prince of Persia (2008) Complete Edition (includes Epilogue) – PlayStation Plus price $11.99; Sale price $19.99
Scott Pilgrim Complete Edition (includes Knives Chau Add-On Pack) – PlayStation Plus price $4.79; Sale price $7.99
Call of Juarez 2 Complete Edition (includes Old West Map Pack) – PlayStation Plus price $11.99; Sale price $19.99

Also Rock of Ages is available for free if you have PS+.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Policenaut posted:

I think Saints Row is like the only thing keeping THQ afloat at this point.

Darksiders II.

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's more because THQ is in the dire straits than anything about the game though, right?

THQ has to find someone to take the game. The company developing the engine went out of business and THQ had to step in. They can't afford to keep it afloat themselves and the game is completely at the mercy of someone else funding it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

How long do you think it will be before Journey goes on sale?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Crows Turn Off posted:

How long do you think it will be before Journey goes on sale?

A long time.

We honestly can't tell you. But if you feel like playing it in 2012, I'd just pony up now.

It was like the best selling or fastest selling PSN title ever. I don't think they have much need to put it on sale any time soon unless they experience huge dropoff.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Rayman: Origins was supposed to be $15 with PS+ today, but according to the Blog that's not going to happen. So much for my backup plan for when I need to share the Diablo 3 machine computer with my girlfriend. They don't know if the sale will go through next update, either.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Feenix posted:

A long time.

We honestly can't tell you. But if you feel like playing it in 2012, I'd just pony up now.

It was like the best selling or fastest selling PSN title ever. I don't think they have much need to put it on sale any time soon unless they experience huge dropoff.

Plus I'd argue that the longer you wait, the fewer people are playing it. And the fewer people playing it, the less exhilarating the experience.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I can't imagine playing Journey without a companion, it just wouldn't feel right.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Crappy Jack posted:

Plus I'd argue that the longer you wait, the fewer people are playing it. And the fewer people playing it, the less exhilarating the experience.

I'm sure lots of people will buy it when it goes on sale if they haven't already.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Samurai Sanders posted:

Just remake, or resurrect Siphon Filter, I would snap it up. That was 999 (edit: 989) Studios which became THQ right?

Krad posted:

I'm sure lots of people will buy it when it goes on sale if they haven't already.

I will be one of those people.

BlindNinja fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 16, 2012

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BlindNinja posted:

Just remake, or resurrect Siphon Filter, I would snap it up. That was 999 Studios which became THQ right?
Pretty sure Sony owns Siphon Filter, so nope, THQ is still hosed.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Was Siphon Filter good? Did it do anything interesting? I honestly can't remember, it's been... a really, really long time since I played, and I didn't play too much of it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You got to taze people until they caught on fire. That was pretty fun.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Harlock posted:

Well poo poo, that's all I need.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Harlock posted:

That's one of the only things I remember from the game, it was awesome. I also have memories of climbing around the beams of a large bridge, and navigating the rooftops of some city/church or something.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

BlindNinja posted:

That's one of the only things I remember from the game, it was awesome. I also have memories of climbing around the beams of a large bridge, and navigating the rooftops of some city/church or something.

poo poo I remember a church thing too. Like you're on the roof and there's some really precarious pathways and its night and I keep falling off the roof or something.

I miss Syphon Filter. I'd get the PS1 Classic of it but I'm afraid it'd never live up to nostalgia.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How is PoP: Sands of Time HD? I've heard the HD versions aren't all that great, but I never ended up playing Sands of Time.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Policenaut posted:

poo poo I remember a church thing too. Like you're on the roof and there's some really precarious pathways and its night and I keep falling off the roof or something.

I miss Syphon Filter. I'd get the PS1 Classic of it but I'm afraid it'd never live up to nostalgia.

Yea, I think I remember the bridge and church because I was really good at falling to my death on those levels.

I have it but haven't tried it again, because yea it's probably like going back and watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Just leave it alone :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

The mission you guys are talking about is this one, if I remember correctly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXJr-sRcohc#t=1m47s

I absolutely loved those games as a kid, the way you could run, lock aim, dodge and shoot at the same time made the gameplay pretty good.

My favorite level from the whole series was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wySc13mDiQM

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 16, 2012

• Locked thread