Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
Does anyone have recommendations for 24-bit audio stores that have a good prog selection? I've recently been getting more into audio, getting a decent DAC/amp and some better headphones, and am kinda wanting to try it. I don't have a surround setup. I guess it'd be nice to have some preview files just to make sure I can tell a difference anyway, and to validate my setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dos4gw
Nov 12, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZhP9Mtxo5c

A song from Storm Corrosion has gone up on Youtube.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

dos4gw posted:

I didn't really have any expectations going into this given how Mikael and Steven have been describing it. I like this a lot, it was interesting all the way through and had a very cool, strange mood throughout.

As for Anathema's Weather Systems, I like a few tracks off of it, but at times I feel like I'm listening to loving Disney ballads.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012

Trees and Squids posted:

it was interesting all the way through and had a very cool, strange mood throughout.

I think the track sort of ended abruptly. It was kind of uncomfortable to listen to.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Brotato Broth posted:

I think the track sort of ended abruptly. It was kind of uncomfortable to listen to.

I think the uncomfortable feeling is (at least partially) because the track has a lot of building tension that never gets released. Once you get to around 6:30, there's this sense that it should get heavy starting.... now..now...n-now, but it never does. I really liked the track, but I definitely see what you mean. It'll be interesting to see how it sounds in the context of the songs surrounding it on the album.

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007
I've heard the whole Storm Corrosion album and Drag Ropes sums up the album well - very mellow with dark, ambient sounding parts that don't really go anywhere. It's not bad, but it's not something that blew me away or something I'd want to listen to unless I was in the mood for background music that never really bothers me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

dos4gw posted:

When Wilson/Akerfeldt first announced Storm Corrosion, I told everyone I knew that it was going to sound like Morte Macabre. I'm glad to see I wasn't too far off. :)

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

John Petrucci posted:

Writing for the next DT album officially commenced while in Osaka the other day. Jet lag seems to open up one's creative channels.

That was quick.

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

So how is this thread not bursting with praise for Anathema's newun, Weather Systems? I've had it on near-constant repeat for a few days and poo poo is incredible.

I like this album a lot. Just very emotional and powerful.

So, has anyone ever heard of Suspyre? I sure hadn't until yesterday when I saw them listed on progarchives; they just released a new self-titled album about a month ago, it instantly has become my favorite album of 2012 so far. A cheap and easy way to describe it would be a symphonic prog metal mix of Dream Theater, Symphony X, and maybe some Pain of Salvation and a dash of Opeth (there is one riff that sounds right from White Cluster) , but they're really much more than a cheap DT clone, trust me. Lots of heavy, weird, technical jazzy stuff thrown in that DT wouldn't do in a million years. In fact, now that I think about I'm probably doing a disservice even using the words Dream Theater to describe these guys because this album is light years better than anything DT has put out in 10 years.

I seriously can't stop listening to it, there is not a bad song on this 10 track, 62 minute magnum opus. The singer really reminds me of Russell Allen....but, I can't believe I'm saying this, I might like him more than Russell already, which is kinda heresy for me.

If you like prog metal even the slightest bit, you absolutely must get this. I honestly can't see anything topping this for me this year, except for maybe a new Riverside album. It kinda blows my mind I've never heard of this band either, as I've been a prog metal addict for like 10 years now.

sativa dreams fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 26, 2012

RDreamer
Apr 10, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I'm probably going to have one helluva time picking between Storm Corrosion and Anathema for Album of the Year this year.

Weather Systems just blew me away pretty quickly. Their new style is pretty much perfectly executed, and I just love the way the whole album flows together. It has such a nice pace that everything goes by so quickly. There's some absolutely astounding acoustic guitar throughout the album, too, especially in Untouchable Part 1. Lightning Song and The Beginning and The End are two other huge highlights. Overall, this just cements their new style.

Storm Corrosion was actually a bit less surprising and/or jarring than I thought. I was kind of expecting a lot of really weird, avant garde type pieces. It came out a lot more "traditional" than I had thought. It's kind of like Heritage in a way, but obviously less dynamic. There aren't any big guitar crunches or anything. It doesn't build up to something like that (except Hag, I suppose). It's very relaxing in a way, yet still with a haunting hint of mystery. There's still a ton of melody throughout, though. Mike's acoustic guitar parts are amazing, throughout, and highlight a big reason I love his songwriting. His solos are also really inspired, I thought. It's a slight disappointment that we don't get a lot of vocals combining both Steven and Mike's voices, since they go together so amazingly. That's kind of a missed opportunity, but then again No-Man has been the exact same missed opportunity for a while now. This album is actually one of Steven's vocal highlights, I think. Even though there's no traditional verse chorus type songwriting to really cement a line in your head, Steven's lines still feel really really memorable. The whole thing goes by so quickly and captures a different than most other albums I've ever heard, so I keep wanting to just play it over again. It's addicting. I really hope this isn't all we see from this project, but knowing these two if they get together again it might be completely different, so who knows.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I am really keen for my Storm Corrosion blu-ray to arrive, I've heard nothing but praise so far. I suppose I haven't really listened to much music from this year, but I think my album of the year so far is Valtari by Sigur Rós, closely followed by Weather Systems (tied with Fire Make Thunder by OSI)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Thoughts on Noctourniquet:

At this point I'm pretty sure Omar is trolling fans with his prerelease descriptions of Mars Volta albums. Octahedron was only "acoustic" in the sense that it was less the musical equivalent of being repeatedly hit in the head with a folding chair than Bedlam was, and the "future punk" Noctourniquet is one of their most unashamedly prog rock albums. Big triumphant choruses all over the place, and I think there's more synth on here than all their previous albums combined.

It sounds very, very different from every previous Mars Volta album—so much so that there were times where it didn't even seem like I was listening to The Mars Volta. At different points they sound a lot more like Klaxons (the chorus of Empty Vessels) or even Radiohead (the beginning of Aegis). That said, it doesn't strike me as overly derivative, and the songs are as twisted and complex as ever, with strong melodies sure to please the crowd who only liked Deloused. The album as a whole feels very cohesive, which I really appreciate, especially after Octahedron ended up so jumbled and disconnected-sounding.

The Whip Hand is a great opening track, lurching and staggering all over the place while still holding together in a fantastic display of highly organized chaos. The Malkin Jewel starts out sounding kind of clumsy and uninspired, but it builds so well that by the end I absolutely love it. I imagine In Absentia is going to be the most polarizing track on the album—it's a very discomforting, slowly building track I can only describe as "ambient dirge punk." I personally think it's one of the most interesting things they've ever done, but I can definitely see it trying a lot of peoples' patience.

It's still maybe a bit too early to say, but overall I think this might be their best album since Frances the Mute. I immediately wanted to listen to Noctourniquet again as soon as it finished, and I'm not sure I've felt that way about any other Mars Volta album.

I also think this album is going to make it easier to evaluate The Bedlam in Goliath in retrospect. I like Bedlam, but it's a very difficult album, and at the time there was the nagging feeling of "oh God, is this what the Mars Volta are going to sound like from now on"—well, they clearly aren't. Maybe Octahedron should have reassured me in this respect, but I didn't like it, so it took Noctourniquet to really renew my faith in The Mars Volta.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't think Bedlam is that difficult of an album or really that it had much of a different sound from Amputechture. The songs were a little bit more condensed and there wasn't as much of a cohesive theme, but it wasn't exactly a departure from what they'd been doing before.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
That's the way I feel about it too—I mean it's difficult in the sense that it's so intense and visceral from beginning to end that I honestly have trouble getting through it in one sitting. It's the classic Mars Volta sound refined and pushed to its limit. I think it's great but at the same time it's not the sort of album I'd want them to make another of, at least for some time—if that makes any sense. It's the "Amputechture, but harder" vibe that made me worry about the direction they were headed and wonder if it was the beginning of the end, which I think impaired my assessment of the album as a whole.

Trying to come up with another album/band to parallel it with, but I've got nothing.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 1, 2012

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

To me it just seemed like Amputechture but without the really cheesy bits (like that godawful fake noire soundtrack sax bit in the middle of Tetragrammaton, which is otherwise a cool song)

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

On Steven Wilson's current tour, they've been playing a song from his next album titled Luminol. It apparently has been going over well with audiences.

I can see why.

I love it when Steven Wilson surprises me. I expected more Grace for Drowning.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Kegwen posted:

On Steven Wilson's current tour, they've been playing a song from his next album titled Luminol. It apparently has been going over well with audiences.

I can see why.

The first 4:30 had me worried (what is the deal with that bassline) but I really enjoyed the rest of it. I am always going to be keen for an Insurgentes 2.0 the most though

Yinzer
Mar 24, 2008

Don't be fooled into replying, I am either a lesson in Poe's Law or incredibly fucking stupid, or both. Also I can't read charts and graphs and think image macros about Paul Ryan's genius are fun and exciting! Run me over with Biden's Trans-Am!
I can't say that I'm much into prog. However I loved Procol Harum's A Salty Dog and find some pleasure in Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. Based on the former album, anyone have any similar suggestions?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Yinzer posted:

I can't say that I'm much into prog. However I loved Procol Harum's A Salty Dog and find some pleasure in Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. Based on the former album, anyone have any similar suggestions?
You'd really like Black Bonzo, early Uriah Heep, and Blue Cheer.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Motoi Sakuraba's a pretty interesting guy who I don't think has been discussed here yet. He was the keyboardist for the '80s Japanese prog band Deja-Vu, and turned to making video game soundtracks after the band broke up.

Not only are his soundtracks excellent, but he continued making instrumental prog rock albums based on themes from his game soundtracks. I have to cite Beyond the Beyond as one of my favorite little symph rock albums that nobody knows about. It's a very well-composed album in an ELP/Ital-prog vein that manages to be surprisingly good despite a low-budget feel (MIDI choir, MIDI harp, MIDI clarinet, etc.)—if it were ever recorded with a full band, I think it'd be a minor classic.

Also in case you were wondering, no, the game Beyond the Beyond isn't any good aside from its soundtrack.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 2, 2012

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
So anyone else going to http://www.threeofaperfectpair.com/ camp in August?

Or just me :ohdear:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That's, like, ungodly amounts of money, dude. That's feng shui money. If I had that, I wouldn't be borrowing my girlfriend's car to get to work.

In more on-topic news, what do people in this locale think about Consequences? I've heard Five O Clock In The Morning off it, and find it to be an excellent melody and rich set of textures married to some absolutely moronic lyrics.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I caved and went out and bought the Storm Corrosion CD/blu-ray instead of waiting for it to arrive. I really like it, it's pretty much what i was expecting to hear (in a general sense) and there's really good stuff from both parties. The acoustic guitar and Mikael's vocals are especially good. If you have the blu-ray the demo and instrumental tracks are worth listening to as well, I ripped them to MP3s for convenience sake and I am loving the hell out of the Hag demo :woop:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just found out today that Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels was going to be an actual full-on concept album. That loving owns. And yeah the Steampunk thing is probably going to be cheesy as hell but that's okay because Rush has earned that right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFGrWjOX0E&hd=1

Motherfuckin' double bass up in here. I think the lyrics sound a little weak and not really catchy but drat does Rush still rock hard when they want to.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

I just found out today that Rush's upcoming Clockwork Angels was going to be an actual full-on concept album. That loving owns. And yeah the Steampunk thing is probably going to be cheesy as hell but that's okay because Rush has earned that right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcFGrWjOX0E&hd=1

Motherfuckin' double bass up in here. I think the lyrics sound a little weak and not really catchy but drat does Rush still rock hard when they want to.

It doesn't grab me as hard as Far Cry did, as lead singles go, but the band does still sound quite good.

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

Kegwen posted:

I can see why.

This sounds just fantastic. Nice to see Steven doing something a bit different again.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

I'm going through this thread backwards after this post, so if I find out this has already been posted numerous times in here, I'll probably edit this out. Anyway, everyone should give Astra - The Weirding and Astra - The Black Chord a spin. Good modern prog band.

Prog Doctor
Feb 28, 2010

BjornOfBorg posted:

everyone should give Astra - The Weirding and Astra - The Black Chord a spin. Good modern prog band.

Astra is one of my favorite modern prog bands! I've been waiting for The Black Chord to show up in the mail for weeks! I ordered it on vinyl (like Yes and Pink Floyd, their album art practically requires that you purchase it on vinyl). But the records most likely weren't shipped out until May 3rd...

tentril
May 9, 2012
Does anyone here listen to Ruins? I admit I didn't read the whole thread, but I didn't see them mentioned at all. Basically a really nuts drummer and bassist from Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlYCLpsb-Ns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me-Yc2llcEU

It's been the same drummer since it started, and he collaborates with different bassists every few records.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

tentril posted:

Does anyone here listen to Ruins? I admit I didn't read the whole thread, but I didn't see them mentioned at all. Basically a really nuts drummer and bassist from Japan.

It's been the same drummer since it started, and he collaborates with different bassists every few records.

Aaaaaa that is way too spazmodic for me - they're like the evil twins of OM.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

tentril posted:

I've got Pallaschtom, and like it pretty well. Like a more manic, minimalistic Magma.

Also their Progressive Rock Medley is really fun. Try to identify the song each snippet is from (and try not to look at the video description as it lists them all).

teen bear
Feb 19, 2006

tentril posted:

I saw the Ruins Alone tour last year and it was a really good show. Wish Koenjihyakkei was touring through...

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Rollersnake posted:

Motoi Sakuraba's a pretty interesting guy who I don't think has been discussed here yet. He was the keyboardist for the '80s Japanese prog band Deja-Vu, and turned to making video game soundtracks after the band broke up.

Not only are his soundtracks excellent, but he continued making instrumental prog rock albums based on themes from his game soundtracks. I have to cite Beyond the Beyond as one of my favorite little symph rock albums that nobody knows about. It's a very well-composed album in an ELP/Ital-prog vein that manages to be surprisingly good despite a low-budget feel (MIDI choir, MIDI harp, MIDI clarinet, etc.)—if it were ever recorded with a full band, I think it'd be a minor classic.

Also in case you were wondering, no, the game Beyond the Beyond isn't any good aside from its soundtrack.

Haha I have this game. It was my first psx game, and something to kill time until FF7 came out. I remember rendering it unwinnable because I went into that underground dungeon with switch bridges too early and used a magic rope to get out. But the switches stayed switched, so the bridge at the entrance was gone and I couldn't get back in. Later on in the game, when I had to go in there to continue the story, but there was nothing I could do to un-switch the bridge so I was poo poo out of luck. The only choices I had were to either start the whole game over, or just say "gently caress this game" and quit. I chose the latter.

I do remember the soundtrack being quite good though. Not as good as Nobuo Uematsu or Yasunori Mitsudo, but good nonetheless. I'll have to check this guy out.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 18, 2012

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Bump for the new Circus Maximus album. Sounds like they listened to nothing but Dream Theater's last three albums while writing most of this. Not quite sure if that's good or bad yet.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Since you guys were so cool and helpful with your comments about our other tracks, I thought you guys may want to have a listen to my two man prog project's latest demo. Please let me know what you guys think, I feel like we have been able to put some of the constructive criticism we've received on this thread to good use.

https://www.reverbnation.com/metamusique

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
I'm disappointed, prog thread. You've let me down.

Roger Waters (not my favorite PF member, but still) is apparently *still* doing a tour of The Wall. He just did a show only an hour away from me in Louisville. I had no idea. I think I'm going to kill myself.

:smithicide:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

glompix posted:

I'm disappointed, prog thread. You've let me down.

Roger Waters (not my favorite PF member, but still) is apparently *still* doing a tour of The Wall. He just did a show only an hour away from me in Louisville. I had no idea. I think I'm going to kill myself.

:smithicide:

Perhaps you should have read the Pink Floyd thread that has been on the first page of NMD for the last few months then.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Help me prog thread! I have been enjoying listening to the first two Liquid Tension albums in my car and also John Petrucci's solo album.

What else is simular to listen to? Please don't say Animal as Leaders...

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

Ingram posted:

Help me prog thread! I have been enjoying listening to the first two Liquid Tension albums in my car and also John Petrucci's solo album.

What else is simular to listen to? Please don't say Animal as Leaders...
There's a group from Poland called Animations that I thought really nailed the vibe of the first LTE album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey9dFzvUofA

Planet X or solo Derek Sherinian would probably be up your alley as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hn_WLRpZcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuaXQmFISFU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Man I want to start listening to prog rock (after seeing that episode of The Venture Bros) so I got a hold of some Crimson King.

Any suggestions for which album I should start with? Honestly I like the sound of the music but I'm having a hard time hearing the lyrics. Although that's always been an issue with me and music.

Edit: Would Protomen be considered prog?