Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
My friend and I are very immature people, and through a series of stupid arguments I shouted that he should suck a horse off.

He quickly quipped "Only if its a unicorn". That stopped the argument and we burst out laughing like 12 year olds.

I however want to really screw with him by giving him a blank bottle with a silvery liquid with glitter in it labeled "Unicorn Semon"

So I turn to you alcoholic goons and ask for your assistance in this booze theamed gaff.

What I am looking for is something that would look like mercury if at all possible.

I would like to avoid Gold Schlager as that would be too predictable.

Im not even sure if any edible glitter can be added to a liquor or if a silvery enough booze even exists like that.

Any help would be appreciated for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Uh, well unicorns are pretty fancy, so I'd go with something nice, like Bacardi Superior. And here's a fancy website where you can buy silver leaf, which I suppose you could sprinkle into your bottle. Then you'll want to cut it with a fair amount of glycerin to give it that thick, cummy texture. Finally, why not throw in a teaspoon or so of rose water. I feel like unicorn semen would be flowery.

So there you have it. Unicorn jizz for your friend. Unfortunately it looks like it'll cost you almost 80 bucks and you appear to be 14 years old, so you might need to bust open the piggy bank for this one.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Unicorn Sermon

4 oz. Silverado Chardonnay
1/2 oz. yellow chartreuse
1/4 oz. Benedictine
1/4 oz. Frangelico

Add the liqueurs to the bottom of a coupe glass, then top up with chilled wine. Stir. Drink while changing the channel between televangelists and My Little Pony.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Sadly we are both 20 somethings, mental age you are correct though. Thank you goons for your advice.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I recently got Beachbum Berry Remixed and have been making some really tasty Tiki drinks. Last night I had a Trader Vic's Mai Tai that was bomb.

1 oz. amber Martinique rum (I used Barbancourt 8 year, which is Haitian, but is still an agricole)
1 oz. dark Jamaican (I used Appleton Extra with just a tiny dash of Wray and Nephew for funk)
1/2 oz. curacao (Cointreau this time)
1/4 oz. orgeat
1/4 oz. simple

Shake with lots of small ice, pour unstrained into a double rocks glass. Toss in a spent lime half and a big sprig of mint. Incredible.

edit: I'm going to have to buy a lot more rum.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
I went to a shop opening last night, and they were giving out free mocktails; one of which was a blend of pear puree and ginger ale. This could well become my go-to drink for the summer; however, I'd like to booze it up a bit (and don't want to just pour vodka in it; if I'm buying booze, I'd rather taste it). What would go well with such a drink?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Death of Rats posted:

I went to a shop opening last night, and they were giving out free mocktails; one of which was a blend of pear puree and ginger ale. This could well become my go-to drink for the summer; however, I'd like to booze it up a bit (and don't want to just pour vodka in it; if I'm buying booze, I'd rather taste it). What would go well with such a drink?

gin and bitters would probably be good in that.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Dark rum.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Thoht posted:

Dark rum.

This is the correct answer.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Kenning posted:

I recently got Beachbum Berry Remixed and have been making some really tasty Tiki drinks. Last night I had a Trader Vic's Mai Tai that was bomb.

1 oz. amber Martinique rum (I used Barbancourt 8 year, which is Haitian, but is still an agricole)
1 oz. dark Jamaican (I used Appleton Extra with just a tiny dash of Wray and Nephew for funk)
1/2 oz. curacao (Cointreau this time)
1/4 oz. orgeat
1/4 oz. simple

Shake with lots of small ice, pour unstrained into a double rocks glass. Toss in a spent lime half and a big sprig of mint. Incredible.

edit: I'm going to have to buy a lot more rum.

Okay so I bought a several more bottles of rum and also some pimento dram, and goddamn I could do a lot of Tiki this summer. The original Don the Beachcomber Zombie is a drink like no other. There's something thrilling about pouring a full ounce of Lemon Hart 151 into a drink. I can't imagine drinking two.

edit: Oh yeah. Recipe:

Zombie

3/4 oz. lime juice
1/2 oz. Don's mix*
1/2 oz. falernum
1 1/2 oz. gold Puerto Rico rum (I used Flor de Caña 4 gold)
1 1/2 oz. aged Jamaica rum (Appleton Extra)
1 oz. 151 Lemon Hart Demerara
Dash Angostura
6 drops (1/8 tsp.) absinthe/Pernod/Herbsaint
1 tsp. grenadine
6 oz. crushed ice

Throw it all in a blender, blend at high for 5 seconds, pour into a 16 oz. glass. Add ice to fill, garnish with a mess of mint, toss in a straw, and drink with caution.

*Don's mix: 2 parts white grapefruit juice, 1 part cinnamon syrup.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 26, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I can't even handle how tasty it was, seriously.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Having survived tiki madness last summer, I wish you a delicious journey to the center of flavor. And no matter how drunk you get, never shoot falernum. Not even because it would be hilarious and goddammit you're a man, right? No, not even then.

Me, I'm going to spend the day finding new jams for pimms, as I called it the summer of pimms before the times came calling and now we need sexy new non-cup drinks to be all edgy and "updated".

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've never had Pimms, because I'm too broke for my liquor cabinet to get that esoteric, but it's like a lightly sweet gin cordial right? It seems to me that gin loves caraway, so kummel jumps to mind as an out-there ingredient that could be fun. Also you could maintain the Pimms Cup ginger thing with some Domaine de Canton and maybe, gently caress it, pisco. Pisco is a great summery spirit. It's crisp and tangy in an exciting, gin-friendly way.

And thank you for you Tiki well wishes. I'm a little queasy even thinking about shooting falernum, Jesus Christ. I can't even imagine that hangover.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Kenning posted:

I've never had Pimms, because I'm too broke for my liquor cabinet to get that esoteric, but it's like a lightly sweet gin cordial right? It seems to me that gin loves caraway, so kummel jumps to mind as an out-there ingredient that could be fun. Also you could maintain the Pimms Cup ginger thing with some Domaine de Canton and maybe, gently caress it, pisco. Pisco is a great summery spirit. It's crisp and tangy in an exciting, gin-friendly way.

And thank you for you Tiki well wishes. I'm a little queasy even thinking about shooting falernum, Jesus Christ. I can't even imagine that hangover.

Ain't no hangover like a Scorpion bowl hangover.

Despite having an actual scorpion bowl in the house for tiki, roommates and I carved a bowl out of watermelon for the summer holiday weekend. Put an upsidedown metal shaker with a metal shotglass in the middle to be the volcano, fire is very important for the flavor and danger.

2 main versions of the drink, I prefer the boozier one because with white wine.

Pack bowl with ice, add liquid, slight stir, add garnish fruit, light volcano, drink with long straws (with friends of course). The 2 most critical ingredients that make or break the flavor are the orgeat syrup and the lemon juice, they bring everything together.

1940s recipe:
36 ounces rum
2 ounces gin
2 ounces brandy
16 ounces lemon juice
8 ounces orange juice
8 ounces orgeat syrup
1/2 bottle white wine.

Modern Recipe:
2 ounces gin
1 ounce dark rum
2 ounces overproof rum
2 ounces light rum
2 ounces vodka
2 ounces grenadine
8 ounces OJ
10 ounces pineapple juice.
3 ounces fresh lemon juice

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Picked up a bottle of Old Grand Dad bonded bourbon today. drat, does it make a great mint julep (and isn't bad straight, either). What a great value.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Picked up a bottle of this stuff "Farmer's Botanical" gin. "Small batch organic". I was walking around a liquor shop close to the lab I'm at for the next, and past week. Came recommended by the clerk. It's pretty great, 46.7% ABV and was $28bux/750ml. Just been drinking it neat, but it's pretty fine.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Picked up a bottle of this stuff "Farmer's Botanical" gin. "Small batch organic". I was walking around a liquor shop close to the lab I'm at for the next, and past week. Came recommended by the clerk. It's pretty great, 46.7% ABV and was $28bux/750ml. Just been drinking it neat, but it's pretty fine.

Yeah I like Farmer's quite a bit, it makes a pretty awesome G&T. Still doesn't hold a candle to Hendricks IMO, but it's pretty good.

The gin I want that I haven't been able to find is Knickerbocker Gin, which is made by New Holland brewery. My wife and I had it at a bar in DC but I haven't been able to find it anywhere (I'm in PA, but I've checked in NY, Maryland, and Virginia). It had a really strong cardamom note, which my wife loved.

betamax
Sep 30, 2008

leering
Does anyone here know why do a bunch of gins are 80 proof in Canada and higher elsewhere (from what I've seen in the USA). I am talking about stuff like Bombay Sapphire, Broker's, Beefeater and Tanqueray, it is all 80 proof, at least in Ontario. I recently went back with my girlfriend to Detroit and found that Sapphire tasted very different in the cocktail I was having (aviation) to me without really knowing why until I noticed it was 94 proof. I subsequently tried Beefeater and the same thing happened, except I knew where to look know (94 proof as well).

Some gins do have the same proof (Plymouth, Hendricks, Tanq 10, most top shelf gins available), so it makes me wonder why would they import a different thing here?

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
I always assumed it was for price reasons. They LCBO seems to add a significant premium to anything that is overproof.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Nothing like a bulleit rye whiskey sour to take the edge off after a blindingly hard and rainy bike ride.

I also just got a new place and need to build up my bar. What are some good liquers and cordials?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I don't know what other people will think but this is what is in mine currently:

St Germain (elderflower)
Domaine de Canton (ginger)
Chambord (raspberry)
Drambuie (pretty much just for rusty nails)

If I could add something I'd get some Luxardo (maraschino), some amaretto and chartreuse.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Booties posted:

I also just got a new place and need to build up my bar. What are some good liquers and cordials?

I guess it depends on what you're going to mix, but you're probably going to want an orange liquer of some sort (Cointreau, etc), and a coffee liquer is pretty useful (Black/White Russians etc).

Rusty Nails are indeed sufficient cause to have Drambuie around.

I seem to see St Germain ads freaking everywhere all of a sudden. Is it a Thing now? What's it being mixed into?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Booties posted:

Nothing like a bulleit rye whiskey sour to take the edge off after a blindingly hard and rainy bike ride.

For me, the frontline of liqueurs for making cocktails is triple sec/curacao, coffee liqueur, Irish cream, and amaretto. As far as those are concerned, I buy Cointreau and Gran Gala*, Kahlua, Emmet's, and Disaronno.

A broad selection of quality liqueurs is difficult to obtain in my state (Virginia) but I'm also fond of Chambord and Tuaca. The vanilla/citrus of Tuaca pairs well with an aged rum or tequila.

*Cointreau is the neutral-spirit based triple sec, while Gran Gala is brandy-based. I find Gran Gala a perfectly acceptable substitute for Grand Marnier at half the price, but you can absolutely taste the difference between Cointreau and cheap triple sec. The Cointreau producers distill their own neutral spirits from sugar beets before adding orange flavour, rather than using cheap vodka as a base.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 23, 2012

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Oh yeah I forgot about the basic orange liqueur. I just finished a bottle of Grand Marnier, but I think I'm going to switch to Cointreau since it is colorless and won't mess with things like a White Lady.

I don't use Kahlua much except for white/black russians as mentioned earlier. What else can I do with it? Similarly I don't know what to do with the irish cream in my fridge other than for coffee and delicious frostings. I really should add an amaretto to my cabinet though.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Which liqueurs you should stock depends in part on what you like to drink. For me, my favorite spirit is gin, I like complex sours, and less importantly I also like to spike glouglou white wine with liqueurs. So here's my list, ordered in importance.

Luxardo
Green Chartreuse
Creme de Violette
St Germain (or any Elderflower liqueur - I make my own)
Creme de Cassis
Mathilde Orange XO (I use this least, but it's too important to not have any orange liqueur)
Anything else. I seriously can't imagine using a whole bottle of Amaretto, or even coffee liqueur.

I also make Rose and Hibiscus liqueurs pretty regularly, basil, mint, thyme, and rosemary less often but occasionally.

@Base Emitter - St Germain makes for a great sour. Something like this: 1.5oz gin, .75oz St Germain, .75oz lime, shake over ice, double strain (I am not normally anal about the little ice crystals you get if you don't, but this sort of drink is so simple and has such clean flavors that I feel they detract. It's like a martini with slivers of ice.) You can also make a Kir isomorphism with it which is great, or it also mixes well in some tiki drink recipes if you want to get weird.

Also, @ Kenning, it's a loving shame your cabinet doesn't include Pimms! As an English dude in America, I feel like it's my job to evangelize the glory of a proper Pimm's cup.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
My party is starting in 2 hours. The theme of the party is "mugshots" but I don't really drink shots so I don't know what to make. Help.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

pork never goes bad posted:

Which liqueurs you should stock depends in part on what you like to drink. For me, my favorite spirit is gin, I like complex sours, and less importantly I also like to spike glouglou white wine with liqueurs. So here's my list, ordered in importance.

Luxardo
Green Chartreuse
Creme de Violette
St Germain (or any Elderflower liqueur - I make my own)
Creme de Cassis
Mathilde Orange XO (I use this least, but it's too important to not have any orange liqueur)
Anything else. I seriously can't imagine using a whole bottle of Amaretto, or even coffee liqueur.

I also make Rose and Hibiscus liqueurs pretty regularly, basil, mint, thyme, and rosemary less often but occasionally.

@Base Emitter - St Germain makes for a great sour. Something like this: 1.5oz gin, .75oz St Germain, .75oz lime, shake over ice, double strain (I am not normally anal about the little ice crystals you get if you don't, but this sort of drink is so simple and has such clean flavors that I feel they detract. It's like a martini with slivers of ice.) You can also make a Kir isomorphism with it which is great, or it also mixes well in some tiki drink recipes if you want to get weird.

Also, @ Kenning, it's a loving shame your cabinet doesn't include Pimms! As an English dude in America, I feel like it's my job to evangelize the glory of a proper Pimm's cup.

What is your recipe for a proper Pimm's cup? I've seen a lot of different recipes ranging from simple (add 7Up and garnish with cucumber) to ones that are a lot more complicated. All good, but I want to know how to make it right.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I think that thinking about it as a recipe perhaps misses the magic. Slate wrote a good article on it, here: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2011/06/pattersons_pimms.html

I'd say you want a roughly 3:1 ratio of Pimm's to mixer. For the mixer there are many that produce a fine drink - properly gingery ginger ale works really well, though you're perhaps moving away from the classics with that. The closest to classic you can get in the US is 7-up. So, 3-1 7-up to Pimm's, over ice, in a tall glass. Garnish with some fruit salad. I'd say a strip of cucumber peel, or a spear of cucumber, is required, and the rest can vary by season, availability, whim and whimsy. An 1/8th of a lime, cut as a wedge, squeezed over the top and dropped in can be lovely. Berries are also nice, as is mint. Borage, as Slate says, is classic, but also extremely hard to find in the US. Orange slices are very pretty, particularly if you halve them into semicircles.

Hopefully that helps!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

I can't give a good dissertation on the joy of pinks from my phone, but expect it soon.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

I can't give a good dissertation on the joy of pinks from my phone, but expect it soon.

I'm assuming you mean Pimm's? Either way, :allears:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm assuming you mean Pimm's? Either way, :allears:

From phone presumably means autocorrect. :3:

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I think that thinking about it as a recipe perhaps misses the magic. Slate wrote a good article on it, here: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drink/2011/06/pattersons_pimms.html

I'd say you want a roughly 3:1 ratio of Pimm's to mixer. For the mixer there are many that produce a fine drink - properly gingery ginger ale works really well, though you're perhaps moving away from the classics with that. The closest to classic you can get in the US is 7-up. So, 3-1 7-up to Pimm's, over ice, in a tall glass. Garnish with some fruit salad. I'd say a strip of cucumber peel, or a spear of cucumber, is required, and the rest can vary by season, availability, whim and whimsy. An 1/8th of a lime, cut as a wedge, squeezed over the top and dropped in can be lovely. Berries are also nice, as is mint. Borage, as Slate says, is classic, but also extremely hard to find in the US. Orange slices are very pretty, particularly if you halve them into semicircles.

Hopefully that helps!

Thanks for the tips. That Slate article is great, I think I will do some experimentation and see what works. I have some fresh cucumbers and mint from the garden as well as some berries, oranges and Reed's ginger brew to play with.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

That sounds like an excellent start to the evening.

I am about to make some quick Allspice Dram using a whipper, and from thence some cocktails.

Last night I mixed this and found it to be quite pleasant - redolent of Scandinavia and Christmas - if very strong.

1oz overproof gin, 3/4 oz lingonberry syrup, 1 oz lime, 1 oz red vermouth, a big dash of Fernet, a dash of Peychauds. Shake and serve up.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

My wife loves her Pimm's, but 7up is always too sweet of a mixer. I haven't tried it but could the San Pellegrino Limonata soda work? I recall that being less sweet.

I thought the classic garnishes for a Pimm's was strawberry, apple, and cucumber, as those were things that grew locally in England. I don't remember where I heard that though.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Limonata could work, yes. You could also do half 7-up and half soda water. Or, make your own lemon soda - lemon juice and soda water with a tiny dash of simple. You can sometimes find French Lemonade in stores in the US, the kind that comes in the clear glass bottle, typically. That is what lemonade in the UK tastes most like, and that's what the bottle means when it says lemonade.

As far as garnishes goes, Pimm's is such a drink of the Empire that I'd feel comfortable garnishing it with anything from anywhere the British conquered. So, pretty much anything. The really classic garnish, and one that is quite hard to find, is borage - a herb with a cucumbery overtone.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

If we're still doing liqueur chat I figure I have an opportunity to waggle my liqueur peen around.

I do have to agree that an orange liqueur is the most important first liqueur to stock, but then it's definitely maraschino. That poo poo is in everything and is the single most delicious thing in the bar. Another important, classic liqueur is apricot brandy.

Right now I've got:

• Cointreau
• Gran Marnier
• Luxardo marschino
• Benedictine
• Green Chartreuse
• Yellow Chartreuse
• Marie Brizard Apry
• Campari
• St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram

Woo feels good man. The pimento dram is off the hook.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Pimento Dram is good, and it's so easy to make your own. Same for Falernum.

Also, I don't know if I'd call Campari a liqueur since it's unsweetened.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Pimms! Okay, great poo poo. The Pimms Cup is trending hard this summer. I called it to one of my owners in BK back in Spring, then the Times got there and hosed it all up and yesterday I went through two and a half bottles of the stuff in less than 8 hours. The cup is simple, though varied, and like a bloody mary, it's essentially a salad in a glass, though it's lower in alcohol (not a bad thing). No two bars or even bartenders make it the same way; mint or no mint, cucumber muddled or omitted, strawberries in summertime? Rock it your way. My spot in Brooklyn uses cucumber syrup and fresh ginger juice, simple and elegant.

But that's not enough. Fizzy and tangy is a good way to rock Pimms, since it's a bittered, lower-abv gin (in essence, the #3 cup is based on brandy and I want to get my hands on some), but there are always options. Cocktail head Maxim P at The Counting Room combines it with Campari (like everything good under the sun), and I have a personal recipe that's shaken with yellow chartreuse and some mint that I hope to place on the summer menu.

So don't ever let someone tell you what to put in your cup. That said, if you skip the pepper on my Gordon's cup someone is getting cut.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

We went through 8 bottles in an hour at my wedding earlier this month (75 people). Turns out it was more of a hit than I had planned!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

my Gordon's cup someone is getting cut.

Am I right in thinking you make a variant of the Pimm's Cup with Gordon's? Can you post a recipe"

I know this has been covered before, but what does one do to substitute in some commonly available gin for Pimm's? A little brandy and a little bitters?
There is little chance of my finding it, but I do have a handle of Gordon's and access to a really nice local gin with lots of juniper and some blueberry in it, among other things I can't identify.