Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gamespot is saying that some DICE employee's Linked-in profiles are listing Mirror's Edge 2 on their resumes.

http://www.gamespot.com/6376972

I may be in the minority, but one of the best enjoyments I get out of playing games is navigating the environment. The original Half Life is a perfect example, half that game was just trying to get through Black Mesa without falling to your death. So of course, I loved the original Mirror's Edge. Sure it had combat issues, and was a tad bit short, but man did I love running around the rooftops and making crazy Parkour jumps from building to building. If the sequel stays in the same universe, I hope they get rid of the gunplay and tighten up the hand to hand combat. Otherewise, gently caress yes I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Cartoon Man posted:

Gamespot is saying that some DICE employee's Linked-in profiles are listing Mirror's Edge 2 on their resumes.

They also have listed Battlefield: Bad Company 3.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

White Knight Chronicles is better than people gave it credit for. I never played the sequel though, so it might've been even better. I remember not liking the PSP one.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Pandanaut posted:

They also have listed Battlefield: Bad Company 3.

Yes! I loved BF2 to death and vastly prefer it to the hyper machismo of BF and COD.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Cartoon Man posted:

I may be in the minority, but one of the best enjoyments I get out of playing games is navigating the environment.

I'm the same way. Never did play Mirror's Edge, but one of the things I love about a good sandbox game is just loving around in the game world and having fun. If the AI is solid enough that it provides fun random stuff, and the environment itself is varied and interesting, it'll hold my attention for a long time.

I sunk an embarrassing amount of time into GTA:SA on the PC, and even more so when SA:MP came out. The AI wasn't especially brilliant, but I had a lot of fun just driving around loving with things. When SA:MP hit, it was an absolute blast just roaming around the environment causing havoc with other goons.

[shout out to my SA:MP drunk tank badmin krew]

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

White Knight Chronicles is better than people gave it credit for. I never played the sequel though, so it might've been even better. I remember not liking the PSP one.

It has flaws, but they're (so far) the same flaws that seemingly every Japanese RPG has had for the last several years. I don't expect much from the story, characters, or voice acting, so I won't even ding that, so the biggest flaw seems to be the focus on super-grinding. I'm not sure why this is in all these games, I guess Japanese developers think that people enjoy doing mundane tasks for tens of hours for minor rewards? But as far as I can tell, they're all optional, so I'm doing the ones I want to do, ignoring the rest, and while it's nothing groundbreaking, it's an enjoyable enough game (still playing the first one, the second game disk comes with both games) considering the genre is pretty much dead on consoles so you don't have a lot of options.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The problem with White Knight Chronicles is that it applies a Monster Hunter pseudo-MMO mission set to the online so it comes off as incredibly grindy, and since all the quests on higher levels are just the previous quests with more powerful monsters you end up seeing all the content after a couple days. The main campaign is boring and humdrum, especially considering it ends at the point where most JRPGs would ask you to put in Disc 2 and there's nothing really about it that's very compelling. It's entirely possible to make a classic style JRPG in an interesting way.

It's sad because WKC has a bunch of stuff in it that's actually kind of fun, like the battle system can be pretty neat sometimes and GeoNet (on paper) is a great idea. Level-5 just couldn't hack it out.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

I may be in the minority, but one of the best enjoyments I get out of playing games is navigating the environment. The original Half Life is a perfect example, half that game was just trying to get through Black Mesa without falling to your death. So of course, I loved the original Mirror's Edge. Sure it had combat issues, and was a tad bit short, but man did I love running around the rooftops and making crazy Parkour jumps from building to building. If the sequel stays in the same universe, I hope they get rid of the gunplay and tighten up the hand to hand combat. Otherewise, gently caress yes I can't wait.
I hope this is for real. Mirror's Edge is easily one of my favorite games of this generation. The mere concept of a first-person platformer seemed impossible but ME pulled it off so goddamn well, and once you have the controls down there's a pretty strong sense of immersion there. I agree that the plot and the combat were the definite weak points, but combat was nearly always optional to just legging it (which goes with the spirit of the game, really) and the plot can be forgiven because the gameplay is so good. Also the Dice guys hated the animated cutscenes just as much as everyone but couldn't do anything about them.

I don't think I've ever been as addicted to getting a perfect score/time in a time trial mode for a game than in Mirror's Edge. Lots of gently caress-ups but it never really felt like it was the game's fault when you missed a jump or fell off a building.

Also Mirror's Edge 2 using the Frostbyte 2 engine. Yessss please. :fap:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

Also the Dice guys hated the animated cutscenes just as much as everyone but couldn't do anything about them.

Huh, I didn't realize this was a thing. They didn't bother me, I thought they were kinda stylistic and cool. The story was rear end, but thats a whole different argument.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!

Cbouncerrun posted:

How is PoP: Sands of Time HD? I've heard the HD versions aren't all that great, but I never ended up playing Sands of Time.

The port job is a little rough around the edges (there are a few graphical/audio bugs), but it's perfectly playable, and SoT is such a great game that it rises above some minor technical issues. I'd say it's definitely worth picking up on sale.

Edit: I'm dumb and didn't notice there were two more pages to the thread :)

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Badguy posted:

For more Saboteur fun try punching some cows to see one of the most ridiculous sights in gaming.

Hahaha thank you for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nf_kjNtXOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Jjaarreett posted:

Hahaha thank you for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nf_kjNtXOU

Sean Feckin' Devlin, ladies and gents. Yet another reason why he's one of the best characters this gen.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Given that I didn't like GTA4 for the following reasons:

- didn't like the protagonist or his friends
- didn't like the cellphone thing
- didn't like missions that involved mandatory driving long distances (i.e. go to the mark on the map, pick someone up, drive across town)
- didn't like how easily cars rolled over and blew up

should I look into getting Episodes from Liberty City? I saw it the other day and almost got it, now I am thinking about it again.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 16, 2012

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Stare-Out posted:

Mirror's Edge

Loved ME as well, but I did find it frustrating towards the end when you HAVE to destroy those computers , it just struck me as I wanted to get no kills and after 20 attempts later I gave up and shot my way through. Disarms were also weird as you're supposed to hit the button when the gun shows up in red, but however that does no happen with me and I get beaten up.

Been working on the time trials as well, and those are my favourite parts of the game, if insanely challenging.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Is Mirror's Edge available via the PSN?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Samurai Sanders posted:

- didn't like missions that involved mandatory driving long distances (i.e. go to the mark on the map, pick someone up, drive across town)

should I look into getting Episodes from Liberty City? I saw it the other day and almost got it, now I am thinking about it again.

The protagonists are better, the cellphone things are even more optional than before, and more useful as well, and there were fewer "Just drive here" missions because they are significantly shorter. The car physics have not changed.

I like it more than GTA IV, but it sort of evens out beacuse Ballad of Gay Tony is pretty great, while Lost and the Damned leaves a bit to be desired.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There's a Lost Planet spinoff being released for PS3 and DS of all things. Odd pairing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SpacePig posted:

The protagonists are better, the cellphone things are even more optional than before, and more useful as well, and there were fewer "Just drive here" missions because they are significantly shorter. The car physics have not changed.

I like it more than GTA IV, but it sort of evens out beacuse Ballad of Gay Tony is pretty great, while Lost and the Damned leaves a bit to be desired.
Also how much content is there in terms of story missions between those two, compared to vanilla GTA4?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

Huh, I didn't realize this was a thing. They didn't bother me, I thought they were kinda stylistic and cool. The story was rear end, but thats a whole different argument.
On their own they weren't that bad in a 2005 flash animation kind of way, but they didn't mesh well at all with the presentation of the rest of the game. If I recall, the plan was to originally have the entire game, cutscenes and all, in-engine from Faith's perspective. But due to time constraints (EA) a third party studio or some such was hired to make them and the folks at Dice thought they'd be animated but still seen through Faith's eyes and had no idea that the final cutscenes would have none of that.

Temascos posted:

Loved ME as well, but I did find it frustrating towards the end when you HAVE to destroy those computers , it just struck me as I wanted to get no kills and after 20 attempts later I gave up and shot my way through. Disarms were also weird as you're supposed to hit the button when the gun shows up in red, but however that does no happen with me and I get beaten up.

Been working on the time trials as well, and those are my favourite parts of the game, if insanely challenging.
I've never had issues with disarms that didn't result from me screwing them up. Also I did the Pacifist trophy/achievement on my Hard playthrough. :smug: The part you mentioned took some effort but I did it without firing a shot in the end.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is Mirror's Edge available via the PSN?
I don't think so. There's a demo, but the full game is like $10 now or something.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Stare-Out posted:

On their own they weren't that bad in a 2005 flash animation kind of way, but they didn't mesh well at all with the presentation of the rest of the game. If I recall, the plan was to originally have the entire game, cutscenes and all, in-engine from Faith's perspective. But due to time constraints (EA) a third party studio or some such was hired to make them and the folks at Dice thought they'd be animated but still seen through Faith's eyes and had no idea that the final cutscenes would have none of that.

That makes a lot more sense, I can't imagine Half Life with animated 3rd person cutscenes. Its doubly lovely to have EA force them to alter their vision to meet a deadline, but EA is a lovely company.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also how much content is there in terms of story missions between those two, compared to vanilla GTA4?

They are much shorter. I say get the Episodes just for Ballad of Gay Tony. I think it is what GTA4 should have been. I love almost every thing about it other than the drat aiming system that carried over from GTA 4.

The music is nice. The missions are more involved such as trying to sneak onto a yacht to steal a helicopter and then blowing up said yacht and taking out the people escaping from the yacht. There is another mission where you have to steal a APC, and a mission where you have climb up a high rise and then parachute off of it. You can also replay specific missions if you want.

Luis is a decent protagonist who has no problems killing people and he is really a lady's man, and there is something about Luis and Tony's platonic relationship that I find really endearing.

Plus I i'm in love with the pause music and the theme song that plays during the loading screen.

Edit: I mean the games are much shorter than GTA 4, but it helps that there is very little padding because GTA 4 could drag at some times.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Samurai Sanders posted:

They're essentially expansion packs. They're a whole lot shorter, but the Episodes pack is usually cheap enough that it doesn't matter.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, the one available on the PSN doesn't require GTA4 to run either, and it's cheaper than even a used one at gamestop, how often does that happen? But it's available on Steam too...which one do I want....

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, the one available on the PSN doesn't require GTA4 to run either, and it's cheaper than even a used one at gamestop, how often does that happen? But it's available on Steam too...which one do I want....

I thought the one on PSN did require GTA4?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blackguy32 posted:

I thought the one on PSN did require GTA4?
Yeah I thought so too but I am looking at it right now and it says "does not require a copy of the original GTA4 to play".

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I believe it's a digital version of the disc for Episodes from Liberty City and not the standalone DLC updates to the GTA4 disc.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah I thought so too but I am looking at it right now and it says "does not require a copy of the original GTA4 to play".

Oh! You're talking about the digital download of Episodes and not the add on just for Ballad of Gay Tony. Yeah, you should be set.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Samurai Sanders posted:

Cellphone issue is better. The first issue is obviously subjective and the other two are just Grand Theft Auto for the most part. I think the distances are probably shorter but I never had an issue with the exploding cars so I cant speak on it too much but just say learn to drive bro :colbert:

blackguy32 posted:

Luis is a decent protagonist who has no problems killing people and he is really a lady's man, and there is something about Luis and Tony's platonic relationship that I find really endearing.

Plus I i'm in love with the pause music and the theme song that plays during the loading screen.

Edit: I mean the games are much shorter than GTA 4, but it helps that there is very little padding because GTA 4 could drag at some times.

Agreed on all counts. Luis is my favorite GTA protagonist ever and his relationship with Tony is pretty cool. That pause music really is relaxing and awesome for being so simple

edit: Also TBoGT had the best teaser with the use of Pjanoo

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 16, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

the_american_dream posted:

Cellphone issue is better. The first issue is obviously subjective and the other two are just Grand Theft Auto for the most part. I think the distances are probably shorter but I never had an issue with the exploding cars so I cant speak on it too much but just say learn to drive bro :colbert:
As for the cars, I'm mostly speaking in comparison to Saint's Row where cars are glued to the ground at almost all time, in GTA in comparison it feels like they are just waiting to jump all the way off the ground and fly through the air sideways. Maybe I do just need to get used to it....

edit: GTA4 plus the episodes is only tenbux more, maybe I should give it another chance. I got about halfway through GTA4 before, and also never realized you could turn off the cellphone.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

As for the cars, I'm mostly speaking in comparison to Saint's Row where cars are glued to the ground at almost all time, in GTA in comparison it feels like they are just waiting to jump all the way off the ground and fly through the air sideways. Maybe I do just need to get used to it....

The driving physics are pretty much the same aside from the motorcycles in Lost and the Damned. Those control much better to where they aren't death traps that will get you knocked off at the slightest tap of another car.

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: GTA4 plus the episodes is only tenbux more, maybe I should give it another chance. I got about halfway through GTA4 before, and also never realized you could turn off the cellphone.

Cut your losses while you are ahead. I forced myself to finish GTA4 and the payoff was not worth it. The second half of the game sucks.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Four Leaf Clover was a really cool mission but the game craters after it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, that is the mission that I would count as the half way point. I can't even remember most of the missions from the second half of the game. It drags so long after that too. I mean I guess it would be worth it to see some of the events that happen in the expansions crossover, but I would just read the GTA wikia for that stuff.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

blackguy32 posted:

The driving physics are pretty much the same aside from the motorcycles in Lost and the Damned. Those control much better to where they aren't death traps that will get you knocked off at the slightest tap of another car.

Why can't sandbox games figue out motorcycles? The only reason I wasn't knocked off of my motorcycle all of the time in LatD is because I never drove the sport bikes.

Policenaut posted:

I can't say I remember anything besides the ending after that point.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Is that the one where you help the Irish guys rob the bank or whatever? I think that's the last mission I did, but I didn't finish it because every time I died I had to start back where I picked them up, then drive a long way to the bank and listen to their same chatter over and over again, then drive some long distance from the bank to somewhere else, I forget exactly.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Youre thinking of the right one ^^^

Yea as a GTA 4 apologist I even admit the 2nd half for the most part and ending is garbage

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is that the one where you help the Irish guys rob the bank or whatever? I think that's the last mission I did, but I didn't finish it because every time I died I had to start back where I picked them up, then drive a long way to the bank and listen to their same chatter over and over again, then drive some long distance from the bank to somewhere else, I forget exactly.

Yep thats the one. I was in the same boat as you and I finally passed it on the 3rd try. Good news is that the Ballad of Gay Tony has checkpoints for some missions if I am not mistaken.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

blackguy32 posted:

I mean I guess it would be worth it to see some of the events that happen in the expansions crossover, but I would just read the GTA wikia for that stuff.

Yeah I don't remember when in the game it is, but the mission about the diamond robbery where you end up playing three different sides of it is awesome. Plus you see how it truly, finally, resolves itself in Gay Tony.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

What about the Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare that they sell on the PSN store, does it need the original game or is it standalone?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Yep thats the one. I was in the same boat as you and I finally passed it on the 3rd try. Good news is that the Ballad of Gay Tony has checkpoints for some missions if I am not mistaken.

It does. The started incorporating checkpoints in The Lost and the Damned and they've been part of all the Rockstar titles since (Max Payne 3 has them quite frequently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

VisAbsoluta posted:

What about the Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare that they sell on the PSN store, does it need the original game or is it standalone?
There's a stand alone version. Although if the price is still $20 you can probably find the disc version for cheaper. Or the GOTY edition.

• Locked thread