Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Somehow I've been completely oblivious to Tenacious D's new album coming out tomorrow, does anyone know the best place to get it online in the UK? I've had a look around and can't really see anything and I don't have any convenient record stores nearby.

Also 1000 umbrellas does the paper garden records site do international orders? I selected UK as my country but that didn't seem to effect the shipping cost which seems unusual so I didn't complete the order. Just want to make sure I'll get it alright before ordering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Altar of Plagues- Mammal (2009) repress

Be quick or be dead.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
Dinosaur Jr. - Bug (live)
limited to 200 copies
purple vinyl
http://www.outerbatteryrecords.com/products/dinosaur-jr-bug-live

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Isorenieratane posted:

Also 1000 umbrellas does the paper garden records site do international orders? I selected UK as my country but that didn't seem to effect the shipping cost which seems unusual so I didn't complete the order. Just want to make sure I'll get it alright before ordering.

Yeah, you should be fine. Whenever I've shipped records to the UK it's just been a few bucks more, so if there is an issue, I'll take care of it. Thanks for checking us out!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

thebigpicture posted:

limited to 200 copies
purple vinyl

THANK YOU FOR THIS! I would have kicked myself in the rear end for missing out. I love Bug and DJ rocks live, this can't be anything but solid!

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

thebigpicture posted:

limited to 200 copies
purple vinyl

They sounded good as hell on that tour, so I'd recommend getting that if ya didn't go.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Got my Noctourniquet package yesterday, and my Conveyor 7" finally showed up. Turns out I accidentally had it shipped to my parents house. Hooray!

The Noctourniquet package is really cool, though the 3D stuff is expectedly gimmicky. I love the way the lyrics are laid out on the sleeves, though, and the discs themselves are beautiful. Haven't had a chance to spin it yet, but the time is coming.

Say, can someone give me a recommendation for a good anti-static cleaning brush? I have two options right now; both of them have that kind of directional micro-fiber stuff on it, and all it really seems to do is push the dust around, not actually remove it.

Edit: Just picked up a really beat up copy of Queen's Sheer Heart Attack, and the A side label has Brighton Rock misspelled as "Brighten Rock". Weird. Plays surprisingly well for the amount of gunk and scuffs on it.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 16, 2012

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
I just finished up my Flaming Lips 7"s collection yesterday with the last two things I needed. Here it is:

I hate picture discs, but now I've got eight more of them. Great.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I bought a record and none of the versions are on discogs and now I'm emailing the label to ask about pressing quantities oh my god help me out of this hole of obsession

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Pretty good going today:

Storm Corrosion feels really hefty and has a cool textured sleeve, the Primus record is this awesome transparent dark green:

and Voyage 34 is pretty drat rad all round:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I'm so loving stoked! Got my CHAPPO Moonwater Vinyl! And it came with 4 extra songs that I was not expecting and have never heard anything about!

(12, 13, 14, & 15 are the bonus tracks)

Bonus shot of my music enjoyment room as it currently stands:

Probably gonna mount the Klipsch speakers a little wider apart, but it's cool for now. The mic/mixer aren't related to my liesure/music listening times, but I do use the same speakers to practice singing on my own time while routing our demos through the mixer > speakers.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Pre-order is up for the new Dirty Projectors album, for those interested in that kind of thing. Comes with an 8" square vinyl with lyrics printed in loving cuneiform on the b-side.

Check it out up in here.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I've never heard Dirty Projectors but am temtped to buy this because that's pretty awesome

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
A square record sounds awesome, but the one song I listened to isn't really my thing :(

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

RizieN posted:

A square record sounds awesome, but the one song I listened to isn't really my thing :(

Really? It took me two/three listens but Gun Has No Trigger is a killer track imo.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I listened to Stillness is the Move and didn't dig it at all. Just put on Gun has no Trigger and I think I can give this one a chance, actually. Those two songs don't even sound like the same band.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah, Stillness is the Move is not at all representative of their sound overall. It's much different from everything else on that album also.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Yeah, Stillness Is The Move is nothing like their overall sound.

Bitte Orca is an amazing album. And Dave Longstreth is a really nice guy.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Pre-order is up for the new Dirty Projectors album, for those interested in that kind of thing. Comes with an 8" square vinyl with lyrics printed in loving cuneiform on the b-side.

Check it out up in here.

This redirects me to the UK page where the deluxe package costs £35, with another £18 to ship it to Australia. So in total it's $85 :wtc:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

dflanny posted:

This redirects me to the UK page where the deluxe package costs £35, with another £18 to ship it to Australia. So in total it's $85 :wtc:

Yeah, I really want this but even for shipping to mainland Europe I'm getting gouged. I'll just wait for the pack to pop up somewhere else, I guess.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Check it out up in here.

Whelp I picked it up because I'm in to that kind of thing. I have to say that despite enjoying Gun Has No Trigger I also kind of always think I'm listening to the weirdest Bond theme song ever and I kind of start laughing. I mean seriously.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Just got my first 7"s

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blendy posted:

Whelp I picked it up because I'm in to that kind of thing. I have to say that despite enjoying Gun Has No Trigger I also kind of always think I'm listening to the weirdest Bond theme song ever and I kind of start laughing. I mean seriously.

I don't know if you just made the song better or worse for me.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't know if you just made the song better or worse for me.

Yeah, that's how I feel about it myself.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

1000 umbrellas posted:

Yeah, you should be fine. Whenever I've shipped records to the UK it's just been a few bucks more, so if there is an issue, I'll take care of it. Thanks for checking us out!

I just got this tweet from @Modernvinyl:

quote:

Paper Garden Records ‏@papergardenrecs
Only a few LTD Edition Conveyor (@therealconveyor) Signed Colored 12" + Poster + Sticker Packs left! Pre-order here: http://papergardenrecords.com/shop/conveyor/
Retweeted by Modern Vinyl

So I'm not sure what my point is but it's pretty cool that I was gonna be confronted with your music regardless of your presence on these forums.

Congrats, I guess!

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Trading some RSD stuff I have buyer's remorse on and some misc older stuff.
[edited out]

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 3, 2019

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I just got this tweet from @Modernvinyl:

So I'm not sure what my point is but it's pretty cool that I was gonna be confronted with your music regardless of your presence on these forums.

Congrats, I guess!

Oh, right on! I just did an interview with that guy about collecting records :)

I want to pull the trigger on that Dirty Projectors pre-order soooo bad, but my bank account won't let me! I just don't dig Gun Has No Trigger as much as anything off of Bitte Orca, but knowing them every song is probably different anyway.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Can a crappy turntable lead to the same pitch changing effect as a warped record?

I ask because I've started buying new records over the last few weeks and a lot of them seem to be doing this, but looking at them I don't see any significant warp. I can also see that moves up and down a fair bit while spinning, so the arm is pretty much constantly moving up and down a little bit.

It's a pretty lovely player I bought last summer for about $100 new, so it's definitely in the low-quality tier.

Crouton
Feb 10, 2006
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, cuz there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Sexy Randal posted:

Can a crappy turntable lead to the same pitch changing effect as a warped record?

I ask because I've started buying new records over the last few weeks and a lot of them seem to be doing this, but looking at them I don't see any significant warp. I can also see that moves up and down a fair bit while spinning, so the arm is pretty much constantly moving up and down a little bit.

It's a pretty lovely player I bought last summer for about $100 new, so it's definitely in the low-quality tier.

Definitely, my old turntable did exactly that, new one's got no problems. Though I don't know if you'd expect that on a brand new player, even a cheap one.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I got the new Mobile Fidelity version of Piano Man today. I was curious, and it is a good album, and it's loving Piano Man on vinyl, what more do you need.

I'm just wondering about people's thoughts on Mobile Fidelity. Do people feel it is worth it for albums they like, or would they rather try and track down a clean version of the album. In my opinion, it sounds very nice, and it is clear that they didn't just take a CD and put it onto LP, but I also wonder if there is a lot of audiophile bullshit.

For instance, they are releasing a 45 RPM version of Blonde on Blonde (either way, Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands covers a side) for $99. What kind of psychopath would pay 99 bucks for Blonde on Blonde when for 30 bucks more, you can get 7 more records in the Mono Albums boxset, or you could get the Sundazed reissue (also mono) for less than 1/3 of that price. It can't really be worth that.

But 30 bucks for Piano Man seems reasonable, and it does sound really nice. I also saw a copy of Special Beat Service by the English Beat for 23 bucks. That was a little tempting too.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm just wondering about people's thoughts on Mobile Fidelity. Do people feel it is worth it for albums they like, or would they rather try and track down a clean version of the album. In my opinion, it sounds very nice, and it is clear that they didn't just take a CD and put it onto LP, but I also wonder if there is a lot of audiophile bullshit.

A little from column A, a lot from column B. Mobile Fidelity stands out because they're the most recognizable at what they do: audiophile pressings of popular records. Records released during their initial run tend to be more desirable (they went out of business for a while and later reestablished themselves). If you want expensive, nice versions of classic albums, Classic Records' catalog is extremely nice based on the few dozen I've seen, but they seem to be dormant at the moment and possibly on the verge of being out of business. As for other labels, DCC was about on par with Mobile Fidelity but far less active, and at the lower end of the spectrum there is Nautilus Super Discs, but their catalog was not nearly as prestigious as the others (Barbara Streisand, Doobie Brothers) and they don't typically go for much. Audio Fidelity puts out a few LPs these days, but their catalog has some questionable releases in it (an audiophile pressing of a live Ramones gig, really?) and their catalog is equally hit and miss.

At the end of the day, I'm too much of a cheapass for really expensive records and am fine settling for a $6 VG++/EX copy of a classic record as opposed to needing to own a version on heavyweight vinyl that might be limited to a few thousand copies and sound better to a discerning ear but costs a good chunk of money I feel would be more wisely spent elsewhere. Also, my forays into the world of the audiophile rarely venture past spending more than $50 on a pair of headphones. It all boils down to what's important to you and how much disposable income you have.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Honestly, I wouldn't just get an album because it's a Mo-fi. Maybe their "silver series" which is priced at 22 bucks might get a blind buy, but for their normal releases it would really have to be an album that I really like to consider spending it on. For instance, Piano Man is a good album, I don't currently have it on vinyl, and I had some extra cash. So I said I'll splurge on it.

Overall, I'm happy with the sound. It did sound very nice and obviously they put a lot of care into their product. But in a way, it's also disappointing.

Pretty much, it's an audiophile release, not a Billy Joel fan release. It's for people who love sound, not really for people who love music. There's nothing about the album or the music contained within. No photos or anything. It'd be nice if they would try to be like the Criterion Collection of music, but I guess that just ain't gonna happen.

30 bucks really is my limit. I remember there were a few really nice Peter Gabriel reissues, but it was like 75 bucks for one album, and even though I really do like his work, it was just too much for me to justify.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's for people who love sound, not really for people who love music.

This is the audiophile world summed up in a sentence. It is what it is, and what it is is a big dick contest for rich white men played with ones ears and overpriced stereo equipment.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Sexy Randal posted:

Your belt's slipping.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I have a few of the old Mo-Fi pressings and I really like them but I also got them cheap. If you can get them inexpensively I'd recommend it, if you can't I wouldn't fret about it. They issue a whole lot of albums that can be had for 5-10 bucks in in their non-Mo-Fi editions.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I can't speak for the ones they are still making, but I pick up MoFi records from the actual vinyl era occasionally pretty cheap, usually no more expensive than any other second hand records. And they are pretty tops. They used that slightly transparent and very quiet Japanese Supervinyl that isn't made anymore.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Ribbon Music has a pre-order up for John Maus - A Collection of Rarities and Unreleased Material on translucent pink vinyl limited to 500 copies.

If you ask me, it's worth it for Castles In The Grave and Bennington alone.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Dear Dissapointed Owl,

Please stop posting amazing things I want to purchase. I am currently unemployed and right out of grad school.

Thank you,

Blendy

Random note that is unrelated: I called up my favorite record shop asking if they'd take donations of record mailers, just because I want them out of my house and I figure they could use them. Well not only do they want them, they're going to offer me some store credit for them. WHOOO.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
Does anybody have experience with the Stanton T52? I've been looking around and it seems to be a fairly decent budget table from the few reviews I've seen. It's around $160 at my local music store which is a respectable price.

It looks like the tone-arm weight can be adjusted but doesn't have anti-skating stuff. How important is that in terms of not doing damage to records?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blendy posted:

Dear Dissapointed Owl,

Please stop posting amazing things I want to purchase. I am currently unemployed and right out of grad school.

Thank you,

Blendy

Sometimes you have to be strong and refrain from needless spending.

And sometimes you just gotta have that pink circular piece of vinyl that plays unreleased songs by John Maus. Do it. You know you want to. :unsmigghh: