Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Crustashio posted:

I did that once with a stuck distributor cap bolt, only to twist the head clean off. "No problem" I thought, since I could then remove the part. I then twisted off the remainder of the bolt, leaving it flush with the timing cover. Distributor cap is now held on with 2 bolts on that car...

meh, then an eazy out or any other method would probably have had the same results. At that point, you are left with EDM or drill and retap. I'll admit, the vice grips don't work every time, but certainly more than anything else I've tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Joe Mama posted:

I don't miss this kind of poo poo from when I lived in Minnesota. Every exhaust fastener or upper shock fastener was like this.

Heh, Strewth.

Here in PA all the Midas/Meineke/Monroe etc don't even TRY to unbolt stuff. They just fire up the O/A torch and take it off.

Willderbeast331
Oct 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Me and Allen bolts don't get along:

And as the last bolt holding onto the driveshaft....I wanted it out bad. And this took all Sunday

Easy-outs are the loving worst. I have broken so many of those off in the exhaust side of heads. Turns something fairly simple into such a pain in the rear end, drilling through those is literally impossible.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
"Woah 25+ new posts? Its been awhile since ive seen the heads of a v8 completely blown off or maybe rods that shred the bottom end? blown turbos?"

oh....

:regd12:

oh.... :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

kastein posted:

The new one went in easily. I'll let some other poor sod worry about getting that flag nut off in another 14 years.

Yes, invite extremely unlikely failure. Remind me not to stand near you in a storm. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Splizwarf posted:

Yes, invite extremely unlikely failure. Remind me not to stand near you in a storm. :v:

just doing my part to add future content to this thread :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We'll see you next week then :haw:

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

"Woah 25+ new posts? Its been awhile since ive seen the heads of a v8 completely blown off or maybe rods that shred the bottom end? blown turbos?"

oh....

:regd12:

oh.... :(

Perhaps I could interest you with some damage caused by a washer dropped into a cylinder. Guy says the engine ran for seven seconds. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150147711151156.292325.505291155&l=9de42eb0ee

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Just make a handle out of steel stock and weld it to the problem fastener, then cut it off when it's out. :v:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Horse Divorce posted:

Perhaps I could interest you with some damage caused by a washer dropped into a cylinder. Guy says the engine ran for seven seconds. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150147711151156.292325.505291155&l=9de42eb0ee

quote:

GTO Cylinder head and pistons

Hahaha, I was like, "V6 DOHC GTO???".

Oh Mitsubishi. :v:

EDIT: >> Hey, a :canada: a couple hours down the road

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

This is more of a pending horrible mechanical failure, but...

The PA inspection shop just failed my Jimmy because the front left upper control arm is tweaked slightly, (surprising that's the only front suspension component that's gone, since it's being rebuilt after a wreck that tweaked the entire front end,) all the control arm bushings are bad, and the rear brake cylinders are leaking slightly... which is good because the shoes are about gone too.

I have to drive 250 miles before I can put the new parts on. Wish me luck?

corgski fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 15, 2012

Wiglaf
Apr 2, 2003
I'M A STUPID CAPRICIOUS CUNT WITH NO TESTICLES
P.S. I AM A LIAR, DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Willderbeast331 posted:

Easy-outs are the loving worst. I have broken so many of those off in the exhaust side of heads. Turns something fairly simple into such a pain in the rear end, drilling through those is literally impossible.

I usually drill into hardware before hammering the easy-out into it. It gets in much deeper and usually works.. the heat from drilling doesn't hurt either. As was mentioned the external type works better but on most (non-car) machines they are recessed allen head bolts.

And the big size easy-outs are awesome for unthreading snapped off hydraulic pipes.

(I could have had a lot to post in this thread if I was still working factory maint)

edit:
I'm impressed that they caught that. Must be tough to keep a beater on the road in PA.

Wiglaf fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 15, 2012

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

E: thelightguy

In relation to the other vehicles on the road would it scare you to know that puts you in the better half?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I've driven in Florida, I just refuse to count it as a US state. :v:

And yeah, PA inspections are draconian. People will buy cars at auction in PA and resell them in other states just because they're still almost guaranteed to pass inspection elsewhere when they fail the PA inspection.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Brigdh posted:

meh, then an eazy out or any other method would probably have had the same results. At that point, you are left with EDM or drill and retap. I'll admit, the vice grips don't work every time, but certainly more than anything else I've tried.

Yeah I was mostly just fed up at that point, it was stuck good. Didn't help that they were M3 sized screws. Drill+retap would require removing the radiator (and possibly the grilles/etc) so I just left it. Seemed to work fine :v:

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006
As someone that once worked at a shop that did PA inspections, the crap people brought in thinking everything was ok and they would just come in and drive out with a new sticker was scary. "actually mam your car DOES need to be able to stop in order to pass inspection"

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

B4Ctom1 posted:

I like to set a nut down over the top and then put a bead of weld on it.

The main thing I have used as a mechanic with allen cap head screws is a 3/8" drive "impact driver". That and knowing when your limits with a regular allen are up and it is time to use it. Or knowing how to hammer the head back into something usable when someone else has turned the flats out.

The toughest thing this tool loosens is steel threaded plugs from iron blocks

Christ, I haven't seen one of these since 1987. I had that exact tool, right down to the blue hammered case. Good times :)

Content: nthing my burning hatred for screw extractors:

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I've found that the best way to remove a broken screw extractor is to wail on it with a punch and a sledge hammer. They're usually brittle enough that you can bust them up and pull them out in pieces.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A screw extractor is probably just ordinary carbon steel that has been heat treated and quenched to glass-hardness. This gives it the hardness necessary to carve into a less-hard piece of carbon steel, but makes it very brittle (similar to a metal file). If you apply any amount of sideways force it will snap instead of bending.

If it's just heat-treated carbon steel, though, once you snap off the piece you can soften it by heating it up to bright glowing red (no longer sticks to a magnet) and then allowing it to slowly cool (anneal). Don't quench it, that does the opposite. The slower it cools the better.

But best is to not try to pry with it at all whatsoever. You must force it in straight and true and do not push or pull sideways on the handle at all.

Willderbeast331
Oct 28, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

Christ, I haven't seen one of these since 1987. I had that exact tool, right down to the blue hammered case. Good times :)

Content: nthing my burning hatred for screw extractors:

Dang, you really missed the center on that top bolt.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Having been in that position, he probably started on the center and the loving drill walked off of it repeatedly because the end of the bolt was broken at an angle. Most infuriating thing ever.

Actually, I take that back. The most infuriating thing ever is to be lying on hot asphalt, in 90 degree, 95% humidity weather, full sun, under a vehicle, with that happening, and the hot metal chips from the drill falling on you.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

kastein posted:

Having been in that position, he probably started on the center and the loving drill walked off of it repeatedly because the end of the bolt was broken at an angle. Most infuriating thing ever.

Actually, I take that back. The most infuriating thing ever is to be lying on hot asphalt, in 90 degree, 95% humidity weather, full sun, under a vehicle, with that happening, and the hot metal chips from the drill falling on you.

You forgot the mosquitoes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sponge! posted:

You forgot the mosquitoes.

I was cursing my birth way too much to even notice them, I think. I honestly don't remember there being any mosquitoes during that project.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pending photos, hopefully. Going to run by the shop tomorrow and crack open my old transmission and see what failed so badly. It's headed to the scrap pile anyway.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

some texas redneck posted:

Pending photos, hopefully. Going to run by the shop tomorrow and crack open my old transmission and see what failed so badly. It's headed to the scrap pile anyway.

Take the shafts out and make some furniture or conversation pieces!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

My dad still has that exact tool, right down to the blue hammered case. Must've been popular then...or maybe just cheap.

Das Volk posted:

The ice mode on the Corvette was so bad I drove with the ABS fuse pulled for about 5 months before I lemon'ed it. Hitting a small bump in the road while applying the brakes meant they essentially stopped working.

I do believe ice mode ABS or TC was how einTier wrecked his C6 back in the day as well. Cant say I've ever driven my old man's car in anger enough to see for myself (and then wrap it around a light pole)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
"Will it start? Right, then I'm driving it."

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

"Will it start? Right, then I'm driving it."

gently caress it, it's still got four wheels and a straight frame. It doesn't even look like it's out of alignment. :v:

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Rear Admiral BOOYA posted:

gently caress it, it's still got four wheels and a straight frame. It doesn't even look like it's out of alignment. :v:

What do you expect? It's a Toyota (I think).

I drove this one home last night after a friend rolled it.

Hard to tell from the picture the A-pillar is shoved in about 6". It came to rest with the back bumper on the pavement and the front end pointing to the sky. Wrecker flipped it back onto 4 wheels and it started right up and drove fine (A/C doesn't work anymore).

obso fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 16, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

obso posted:

I drove this one home last night after a friend rolled it.

Hard to tell from the picture the A-pillar is shoved in about 6". It came to rest with the back bumper on the pavement and the front end pointing to the sky. Wrecker flipped it back onto 4 wheels and it started right up and drove fine (A/C doesn't work anymore).
Why the gently caress did you do that for, other than trying out insurance fraud?

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

You Am I posted:

Why the gently caress did you do that for, other than trying out insurance fraud?
I'd bet it's illegal to drive due to the damage but what makes that insurance fraud?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Oh Mister Good Neighbor, I didn't wreck it last night while drunk, my buddy borrowed it and rolled it this morning!"

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

You Am I posted:

If if his friend was DUI it's still covered by insurance?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well, I thought I would have transmission carnage to show off.

Opened up my old one, the gears looked decent, though the magnet was just caked in shavings.

I know the differential is held in place by the carrier bearings - and the outer races are part of the case. I did put my finger into the diff output (before opening the case) and there was a lot of play - and moving it enough resulted in a loud clunk of parts hitting the case. The same clunk I was hearing when I let my foot off the gas. :haw:

We couldn't figure out how to get the input/main shafts out easily, and didn't want to put in all the work it would take to get it fully disassembled (also, a big gently caress you to Nissan for their crappy FSMs). The exposed carrier bearing for the diff looked fine, but even with the housing sitting level, the diff wouldn't sit level on its own - and was very rough when turned by hand. Everything else spun easily, and the gears didn't appear to have any real wear.

No real photos since we couldn't get the diff out of the way, but I'm pretty sure the carrier bearing we couldn't see had ceased to exist. There was also a decent crack forming in the case under the diff, but I could only see that with a flashlight.

I have a photo of the magnet, at least. That's a pretty tiny magnet with a whole lot of metal on it - so glad I had disposable gloves on...

[img]http://i.imgur.com/AOxApl.jpg[/img]

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

obso posted:

(A/C doesn't work anymore).

POS

BlackMK4 posted:

If if his friend was DUI it's still covered by insurance?

Yes. You'll get dropped immediately, but they can't deny a claim for that. They can just decline to continue insuring you. (this is true in PA at least, it's possible that may not be the case in other states)

IOwnCalculus posted:

"Oh Mister Good Neighbor, I didn't wreck it last night while drunk, my buddy borrowed it and rolled it this morning!"

It's pretty obviously totaled. If he had anything in/on it (aftermarket stereo, wheels, etc) that's the best way to avoid having it stolen by the insurance company or tow yard.....get it home, get your poo poo, and then have them pick it up.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 17, 2012

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Willderbeast331 posted:

Dang, you really missed the center on that top bolt.

The hell I did! It rode off of what was left of the damned extractor! I stopped & let the machine shop deal with it.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

You Am I posted:

Because it was less than a mile down the road. It was a single car accident and they only had liability so no one's getting defrauded. If I didn't think the engine would rip my samurai in half I'd keep it.

obso fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 17, 2012

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'd just like to let you guys know that a failing transmission range sensor in a 1996 Ford Taurus can present itself as an intermittently working radio and windshield wipers.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

Yes. You'll get dropped immediately, but they can't deny a claim for that. They can just decline to continue insuring you. (this is true in PA at least, it's possible that may not be the case in other states)

Depends entirely on the company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

I'd just like to let you guys know that a failing transmission range sensor in a 1996 Ford Taurus can present itself as an intermittently working radio and windshield wipers.

I'm gonna guess they all ground through the same wire?