Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I assume Vince has a VHS tape he recorded in 1998 on what to do on the event of his death, and it is filled with crazy requests and orders.

does he have a distinguished mustache for the video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

I swear Vince is gonna take the Mr House option and be in a wierd chamber at the base of Titan towers while he gives orders through a computer screen.

Manic_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 16, 2012

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Nonsense, they're going to surgically install Vince's brain into Alex Riley's body.

Edit: Or Mason Ryan's.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Perigryn posted:

Oh god....KEVIN DUNN!

Yeah I can trust that man with my wrestling company, why does Vince like him again? Also if you are so upset at people making fun of your teeth, why don't you get them fixed?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah I can trust that man with my wrestling company, why does Vince like him again? Also if you are so upset at people making fun of your teeth, why don't you get them fixed?

I assume he has blackmail material on him.

Also there is no way that Vince's brain is not placed in someone that is over 6'5. Why do you think he is hiring so many? He wants choices.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Here's a slightly morbid question that is sort of related. I assume HHH, Vince, and Stephanie all travel together fairly regularly. What happens to WWE if they're all taken out in a plane crash or vehicle accident? Being publicly traded, I assume the board elects a new CEO, and that person fills positions as required, but this is Vince, so I'm not sure. And if so, any hypothetical suggestions on who'd be asked to take top spot?

I would assume Linda if she's not on that plane as well. Shane would be on a short list for that too I would think. Most likely is that the CEO position is given to someone with business acumen and the day to day stuff Vince did is given to someone on a short list of Dunn, Ace, JR.

I wouldn't be surprised if the three of them aren't allowed or don't travel together though, with the exception being overseas stuff or what not.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Sure you do, actually almost every other professional sport. Turn on sports talk radio and half of the discussion is salaries and attendance.

On the entertainment side fans always discuss box office and record sales too. Why wouldn't we talk about finances, especially when the narratives (juggernaut in decline, rich girl spending her allowance by running a terrible company) are so compelling

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Fans of cult TV shows discuss ratings too, I think. Community & Fringe are examples of where the show is on the bubble and people want to see what the ratings are.

Raw isn't 100% solid, if the ratings slide too low they'll get bumped off the network just like any other show. It's interesting to see how close to that line Raw will get.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Perigryn posted:

It already is. TNA is literally a theme park sideshow.

Speaking of which, I know a wrestling fan who used to work with my wife that moved down to Florida and now works at the Universal Studios theme park. Something like 50% of the TNA audience at Impact tapings is Universal employees that get in free.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Here's a slightly morbid question that is sort of related. I assume HHH, Vince, and Stephanie all travel together fairly regularly. What happens to WWE if they're all taken out in a plane crash or vehicle accident? Being publicly traded, I assume the board elects a new CEO, and that person fills positions as required, but this is Vince, so I'm not sure. And if so, any hypothetical suggestions on who'd be asked to take top spot?

I can't answer the hypothetical, I believe Stephanie and HHH have a bus they travel on and Stephanie doesn't travel as much as she used to. Unless something has changed since then, there is actually less chance of something like that happening than before.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Speaking of which, I know a wrestling fan who used to work with my wife that moved down to Florida and now works at the Universal Studios theme park. Something like 50% of the TNA audience at Impact tapings is Universal employees that get in free.

everyone gets in free. The only thing employees would save on is parking.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

El Duke posted:

Well the employees get in the park for free too

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Well the employees get in the park for free too

yes but you don't need to get into the park to go to TNA. It's part of Citywalk. The only thing you'd pay for is parking.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

El Duke posted:

yes but you don't need to get into the park to go to TNA. It's part of Citywalk. The only thing you'd pay for is parking.

Really, all this time I thought you had to pay to get into the park to get into TNA. So you just pay for parking and stroll in?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Really, all this time I thought you had to pay to get into the park to get into TNA. So you just pay for parking and stroll in?

Yeah, I think it's around $10-20 or so during the day. City Walk has different restaurants, bars, clubs, a movie theater; the Hard Rock Live/Cafe is in there, other shows, etc. TNA is just a part of that. A part they tend to not advertise.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

El Duke posted:

Yeah, I think it's around $10-20 or so during the day. City Walk has different restaurants, bars, clubs, a movie theater; the Hard Rock Live/Cafe is in there, other shows, etc. TNA is just a part of that. A part they tend to not advertise.

I was just in Disneyworld/Universal Studios last week, I had no idea they did TNA tapings there.

I probably still wouldn't have gone.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

El Duke posted:

Wait, everyone? TNA makes nothing off the gate? That's insane.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Joeslop posted:

I was just in Disneyworld/Universal Studios last week, I had no idea they did TNA tapings there.

I probably still wouldn't have gone.

If you were at a Canadian Zoo last weekend you would have seen Steen.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!

Wait, everyone? TNA makes nothing off the gate? That's insane.

Yep, everyone gets in free and TNA makes zero money off of admission to shows held at the Impact Zone. Even "big" TNA events like PPVs held there are freely available to be watched by anyone that happens to walk in off the street (you can even reserve seats at or near ringside if you send an email a week in advance, I believe).

On a related note: according to Meltzer, Slammiversary is the last TNA show that will be held on the road (in Texas). All other TNA TV (whether a TV taping, or PPV) will be held at the free admission Impact Zone, for the rest of the year.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Grandpa Pap posted:

Yep, everyone gets in free and TNA makes zero money off of admission to shows held at the Impact Zone. Even "big" TNA events like PPVs held there are freely available to be watched by anyone that happens to walk in off the street (you can even reserve seats at or near ringside if you send an email a week in advance, I believe).

On a related note: according to Meltzer, Slammiversary is the last TNA show that will be held on the road (in Texas). All other TNA TV (whether a TV taping, or PPV) will be held at the free admission Impact Zone, for the rest of the year.

So TNA only makes money from advertisers, merchandise and PPV buys? Wonderful business model, especially considering I don't think I've ever seen someone in a TNA shirt. Can't say I'm surprised, though.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

So TNA only makes money from advertisers, merchandise and PPV buys? Wonderful business model, especially considering I don't think I've ever seen someone in a TNA shirt. Can't say I'm surprised, though.
They survive on advertising and money funneled in by Panda Energy. I should use "Survive" lightly since the trio of Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, and Ric Flair have salaries that are larger than the entire operating cost for a whole year of TNA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Flameingblack posted:

They survive on advertising and money funneled in by Panda Energy. I should use "Survive" lightly since the trio of Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, and Ric Flair have salaries that are larger than the entire operating cost for a whole year of TNA.

No they don't. Flair, Bischoff and Hogan don't even equal the entire amount TNA spends on talent.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!
My understanding of TNA's current financial situation goes something like this:

-Sometime in the last year or two, someone or other finally noticed that Dixie's hobby wrestling fed was burning through stacks of cash faster than anyone (anyone not named Vince McMahon, anyways). Sometime after that, I believe Dixie's mom was sent in to take a look at the books, after which she basically informed Dixie "you have this much to spend on TNA every month and that's it." So while TNA is in no danger of going out of business any time soon, they apparently no longer have unfettered access to blank checks like they used to.

-I believe Spike was originally helping fund TNA's Impact tapings on the road, at least until they saw that they were getting zero return on their investment in regards to any sizable increase in Impact's rating. Quite rightly, Spike decided to quit paying for something (TV tapings on the road) that they could get for free (TV tapings from the Impact Zone in Orlando). I'm not sure why this should have affected TNA's finances so negatively that they couldn't at least do PPVs on the road, but then it is TNA we're talking about here.

-From what I understand about the lower-level talents, when they brought Bruce Prichard in was right around the time paychecks started showing up late, talent started having a hard time getting paid, etc. Apparently this is at least partly because Prichard created a level of middle management (blocking talent from directly contacting Dixie with any complaints about pay) that hadn't existed before. Prichard also suffered a heart attack or two that may have also contributed to the delays in talent getting paid in a timely manner.

-Lastly, from what I've read Flair gets paid a very healthy sum of money from TNA every month (no idea about Hogan or Bischoff but I'm sure they are also very well paid). I've also heard that Flair makes tons of money on outside endorsements to where his TNA paychecks are just basically free money. Which also is reportedly the main reason he stays with TNA over WWE; WWE would likely pay him more money per check than TNA, but they won't let him go out and shill for any company that waves a contract at him. Like Circle K, for instance:

Ric Flair's status update on Facebook posted:

Hanging out with the Circle K guys at Charlotte Motor Speedway! My agent is posting pics for me on their page! Legacy Talent and Entertainment, LLC https://www.legacytalentandentertainment.com WOOOOO!

Granted, a lot of this comes from various news sites I've read on the net, some that are probably more reliable than others. So YMMV.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Company would probably go to Shane depending on how much stock he still has and how the wills of Linda and Vince work.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

TNA has the WCW problem of being a TV show and not a wrestling promotion.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!

LividLiquid posted:

Company would probably go to Shane depending on how much stock he still has and how the wills of Linda and Vince work.

This reminds me, was there ever a time when Shane came out and said exactly why he left WWE? I know it's been speculated that he left because he wasn't going to have the amount of control over the company he thought he was (primarily because of Steph and Triple H), but I wasn't sure if that had ever been confirmed, or if it was more of a "I've done all I can here, let me try to make it on my own somewhere else now" kind of thing.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Grandpa Pap posted:

My understanding of TNA's current financial situation goes something like this:

-stuff

Don't forget, there has to be a decent amount of injury related issues and lawsuits buring up lawyer fees for the company

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!

Dead Snoopy posted:

Don't forget, there has to be a decent amount of injury related issues and lawsuits buring up lawyer fees for the company

How many do they have going so far? I remember Daffney's lawsuit over her injuries and subsequent hospital bills, and Konnan's lawsuit over his injuries and bills (and allegations of racism). Are there any others out there pending or in progress?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Grandpa Pap posted:

This reminds me, was there ever a time when Shane came out and said exactly why he left WWE? I know it's been speculated that he left because he wasn't going to have the amount of control over the company he thought he was (primarily because of Steph and Triple H), but I wasn't sure if that had ever been confirmed, or if it was more of a "I've done all I can here, let me try to make it on my own somewhere else now" kind of thing.
A little of both.
He did he job and expanded their global reach as much as he could and was never going to run the company so he left.

For what it's worth all the ex-employees say Shane pitched the worst ideas in creative meetings.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Grandpa Pap posted:

How many do they have going so far? I remember Daffney's lawsuit over her injuries and subsequent hospital bills, and Konnan's lawsuit over his injuries and bills (and allegations of racism). Are there any others out there pending or in progress?

it seemes to me there were a few sesxual harassment suits, one at least naming Terry Taylor

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the three of them aren't allowed or don't travel together though, with the exception being overseas stuff or what not.

That's pretty standard in most major corporations, nowadays, and even some smaller ones -- I work for a not-for-profit with a budget of $3 million and 23 staff members, and our CEO and Vice President of Marketing & Strategic Planning are not allowed to share flights when they're going to the same conference / event. Just from a human resources perspective, it makes sense, because if something happens and your senior leadership is wiped out in one instant, it can throw a company into complete disarray, even if there's a meticulous succession plan in place. Some companies even have restrictions on how many members of their board can be on the same flight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Timby posted:

That's pretty standard in most major corporations, nowadays, and even some smaller ones -- I work for a not-for-profit with a budget of $3 million and 23 staff members, and our CEO and Vice President of Marketing & Strategic Planning are not allowed to share flights when they're going to the same conference / event. Just from a human resources perspective, it makes sense, because if something happens and your senior leadership is wiped out in one instant, it can throw a company into complete disarray, even if there's a meticulous succession plan in place. Some companies even have restrictions on how many members of their board can be on the same flight.

Was it the Polish Government who put practically their entire Government on-board ONE flight a couple of years ago, and it crashed and killed them all and left the country pretty much hosed?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
No, but in addition to multiple lawmakers (both ruling and opposition), the National Security Bureau chief and commanders (chiefs of staff?) of the Polish army, air force and navy were all on that one plane along with the President. :stare:

Here's the list, though it comprises non-VIPs as well.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 17, 2012

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I love wrestlers in the late 90s wearing sunglasses indoors. Not a question, but Hogan looks ridiculous with those white-framed plastic sunglasses coming out for an interview.

It's along the lines of all the wrestlers in 1999 or so getting facial piercings. Look at the pre-show interviews of Royal Rumble '99 and see how many of them have lip piercings, eyebrow piercings, etc. Now think of how absurd it is for guys to get a bunch of facial piercings when a big part of their job is getting hit in the face. It's always funny to me how hard pro wrestling tries to be "with it" and "hip".

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Circa-1997 Steve Austin and The Rock had single-ear piercings. :laugh:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I love seeing guys in SMW go to ECW go from "80s Rasslin Hip" to "Gritty Grungy Slightly Out Of Touch ECW Hip" in the space of a few years.

Prime Time, I'm looking at you. (Via the way of the Underfaker!!!)

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Grandpa Pap posted:

I THINK he just realized that he didn't share the passion for the business. He still owns a ton of stock, though. Just didn't have any passion for the business side of it anymore.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

While I couldn't care less about the current product WWE is putting out, I am very interested in catching up on Legends of Wrestling roundtables. Is there an updated list out there since they started doing new ones?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

thesteelhellion posted:

I THINK he just realized that he didn't share the passion for the business. He still owns a ton of stock, though. Just didn't have any passion for the business side of it anymore.

He realised that Stephanie was getting the business next, and he wanted to do his own thing. Also, working for WWE kinda sucks I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Hockles posted:

While I couldn't care less about the current product WWE is putting out, I am very interested in catching up on Legends of Wrestling roundtables. Is there an updated list out there since they started doing new ones?
I'm pretty sure Wikipedia's list is up to date.