Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

Pseudo-God posted:

I am just a beginner, so I don't think I will be using anything other than xcode. I am more worried about the cpu. The clock speed seems awfully low, I had that much 12 years ago on my p4. I know they ate not comparable, but the 1.8 i5 and the 2.4 i5 definitely are.

It's obviously quite a bit slower than a 2011 MBP, but thanks to Turbo Boost, the "slow" i5s in the Air easily beat the faster-clocked 2010 MBPs in single-threaded performance and usually equals it in multi-threaded.

If you want a more portable system, there's certainly nothing wrong with its 2010-era performance.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I use my stock 13.3" Sandy Air for multimedia-heavy Air for iOS dev and it screams. Fan goes on during compiling or during video app rendering but I never feel hampered by it. If I need more temporary real estate I plug it into my iMac for target display mode. If I should ever feel like its sluggish I'll probably put an OWC SSD in it. Full screen apps and Lion gestures help a ton.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
I appreciate everyone's input. It seems I will be going with a 13 inch air, as it is adequate for my needs. I can always upgrade cheaply if I need more power. (Sell the air and buy a pro)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Just curious, anyone out there running Diablo 3 on a 2011 iMac? I'm probably going to buy one of those as a refurb, just wondering how D3 will run.

Obviously it meets the system requirements on Blizzard's page, but that doesn't mean much.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

triplexpac posted:

Just curious, anyone out there running Diablo 3 on a 2011 iMac? I'm probably going to buy one of those as a refurb, just wondering how D3 will run.

Obviously it meets the system requirements on Blizzard's page, but that doesn't mean much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw3JYMz07wk

quote:

Published on Apr 15, 2012 by FredrikJansson1
Blizzard recently released a new patch for the Diablo 3 BETA. The game seems to run quite a bit better on my iMac after the patch.

The setting that seems to have the biggest impact on framerate is "Shadow Quality ". I have chosen to turn of shadows completely. I also turned of Anti-Aliasing and lowered the resolution to 1920x1080 (instead of the native resolution 2560x1440). Every other setting is on high.

In the patch Blizzard introduced the ability to check your framerate. I have 60+ FPS all the time when I play with these settings. I have only played by myself, so I don't know how a 4-player game would play out.

Remember that this is just a beta and the framerate might get worse later on in the game with bigger environments, more enemies and effects.

This is played in OS X Lion, and the framerate might get even higher if you play in Windows via Bootcamp.

You can see the FPS in the upper left corner.

It's hard to tell because of the crappy video quality, but the game looks and runs great!

Thanks for watching! If you have any questions, just ask them in the comment section.

Tech Specs:
Mid 2011 iMac 27"
3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
2560 x 1440 resolution
12 GB of RAM
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2 GB VRAM

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Sweet, thanks for that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the max resolution Thunderbolt can support? I usually just see 2560x1600 listed, which is double the Macbook Pro 13" resolution of 1280x800

Could it even handle 2880x1800 which is double the resolution of the Air or 15" Pro? Would that make you lose the ability to run an external monitor, since that's 4x the # of pixels on the current screen?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

What's the max resolution Thunderbolt can support? I usually just see 2560x1600 listed, which is double the Macbook Pro 13" resolution of 1280x800

Could it even handle 2880x1800 which is double the resolution of the Air or 15" Pro? Would that make you lose the ability to run an external monitor, since that's 4x the # of pixels on the current screen?

Thunderbolt carries a DisplayPort signal AFAIK, which Wikipedia says works up to 3840 × 2160 × 30 bpp @ 60 Hz

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So what kind of cable would a retina monitor use then?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

strangemusic posted:

Derailed as heck, but: UAD Apollo? Because hell yeah. By far the sexiest reason for TB to exist. :techno:

Yup. A new MBP, an Apollo, and something like an OctoPre to add another 8 mic pres would be real nice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

Thunderbolt since it could handle it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I'm sure it'd handle it...it might run poorly with Mission Control and stuff, but it could probably handle it. I figure the bigger issues are availability of the screens themselves rather than GPU or interconnect limitations.

Small White Dragon posted:

Just a long enough cable to move the display back far enough to become "retina" :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Wait guys...

The number of pixels on the iPhone vs Retina iPhone - 4X
The number of laptops Apple will make after they drop the 17" Pro - 4
The number of letters in Steve Jobs last name - 4
The number of corners on a Magic Trackpad - 4

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Bob Morales posted:

Wait guys...

Clearly this means ancient aliens inspired Steve to create Apple.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

strangemusic posted:

Derailed as heck, but: UAD Apollo? Because hell yeah. By far the sexiest reason for TB to exist. :techno:

That is, if you pay the "as yet to be determined" price to add the "optional thunderbolt upgrade" "later this summer." This bums me out, because they've made TB like, THE focal point of these interfaces at NAMM and in all the advertising literature.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Bob Morales posted:

Thunderbolt since it could handle it.
Nothing bigger than a 1920x1080 at retina, though.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Wait guys...

Number of Beatles. Number of days in the time cube.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
E: Never mind, this is a dumb derail.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

The number of desktop after they introduce the xMac :haw: before they discontinue the Mac Pro.

About Ivy Bridge MBPs and iMacs: http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2012/05/ivy-bridge-macs/

quote:

I believe both results are legitimate and are from unreleased Macs. While it's certainly possible to falsify model information under Mac OS X, there are none of the tell-tale inconsistencies that suggest the information has been altered or faked. Also, both Macs are running unreleased builds of Mountain Lion, further suggesting that both results are from pre-release Macs undergoing testing.

For me, the one thing that stands out is that both Macs are running Mountain Lion rather than Lion. This suggests that these Macs won't be released until Mountain Lion is released later this summer. Unfortunately, this means we still have a little while to wait for new iMacs and MacBook Pros.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This probably gets asked a lot, and I've looked around, but I trust goon opinion more; I have a Mac Pro, so no built-in iSight. What's the best mac-compatible webcam that's either around or below $50-60?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I shut my iMac down last night, went home, and turn it back on this morning.

It won't detect my Apple Bluetooth keyboard anymore! What the gently caress. I have a crappy white plastic Apple keyboard plugged in right now and I can't stand it.

I put new batteries in it, but the drat thing keeps saying "No keyboard found."

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Is the light on your keyboard blinking?

(This happened all the time with my Mini and older 3-AA BT keyboard, which is why I went back to a wired one.)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Is the light on your keyboard blinking?

(This happened all the time with my Mini and older 3-AA BT keyboard, which is why I went back to a wired one.)

After like a half hour I got it working. :argh:

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I noticed last night that the glass trackpad on my 2008 Unibody MBP has been sticking. It seems like the touchpanel stays depressed so whenever I tap on text or try to two-finger scroll it highlights instead of scrolling. I'm just out of applecare, so would it be worth a trip to the fruitand or just deal with it?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

SnatchRabbit posted:

I noticed last night that the glass trackpad on my 2008 Unibody MBP has been sticking. It seems like the touchpanel stays depressed so whenever I tap on text or try to two-finger scroll it highlights instead of scrolling. I'm just out of applecare, so would it be worth a trip to the fruitand or just deal with it?

You can remove the battery on that model so you should definitely pop it off and see what's going on under there since the trackpad is directly below the battery.

Otherwise yes, it's best to take it in. It's usually 90 bucks or so to replace the trackpad.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm getting some really odd issues with my graphics just beginning today. I've never experienced any problems in the past. It starts when playing Diablo III and the screen does all kinds of hosed up stuff so I think my video card is going bad. I've already tried uninstalling and re installing drivers.

I made a lovely video that shows what's happening, look around 1 minute mark for the worst of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOzy-Y7K6ms

Shall I drag my 8 month old iMac over to the Mac store or what?

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I've had my 2011 MBA 13' for about 3 months now... and according to istatpro my battery is at 89% health and dropping.. Now im curious is istatpro wrong? or is my battery losing capacity at a faster than normal rate?

I'm using it on charge a bunch, but i'm taking the laptop off charge and running it on batteries as much as i can. I've never had a battery lose 11% capacity in 3 months before. That seems awfully fast to me.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Mr Man posted:

I've had my 2011 MBA 13' for about 3 months now... and according to istatpro my battery is at 89% health and dropping.. Now im curious is istatpro wrong? or is my battery losing capacity at a faster than normal rate?

I'm using it on charge a bunch, but i'm taking the laptop off charge and running it on batteries as much as i can. I've never had a battery lose 11% capacity in 3 months before. That seems awfully fast to me.

Try coconutBattery. Sometimes the health goes up and down randomly, I don't know whats up with that.

How many cycles do you have on that thing?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

No. 6 posted:

I'm getting some really odd issues with my graphics just beginning today. I've never experienced any problems in the past. It starts when playing Diablo III and the screen does all kinds of hosed up stuff so I think my video card is going bad. I've already tried uninstalling and re installing drivers.

I made a lovely video that shows what's happening, look around 1 minute mark for the worst of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOzy-Y7K6ms

Shall I drag my 8 month old iMac over to the Mac store or what?

Yup. Artifacting and screen garbles like that are definitely a sign of a GPU starting to poo poo itself. To the fruit market you go!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mr Man posted:

How long does it last?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I know this will be hard to answer, but maybe someone has some experience with this.

I'm looking at buying a 2011 iMac refurb off the Apple store. I've been holding off for the past month or two, waiting for the new iMacs to come out, assuming it will drop the price of the 2011 refurbs.

Anyway, my question is, what kind of price drop does Apple usually do for computers in this situation? If it's just going to be $50 or something, I'll just go ahead and buy it now.

Again, I'm not expecting you guys to necessarily predict Apple's pricing schemes, but I assume the price drops would follow the same pattern as they have in the past.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

triplexpac posted:

I know this will be hard to answer, but maybe someone has some experience with this.

I'm looking at buying a 2011 iMac refurb off the Apple store. I've been holding off for the past month or two, waiting for the new iMacs to come out, assuming it will drop the price of the 2011 refurbs.

Anyway, my question is, what kind of price drop does Apple usually do for computers in this situation? If it's just going to be $50 or something, I'll just go ahead and buy it now.

Again, I'm not expecting you guys to necessarily predict Apple's pricing schemes, but I assume the price drops would follow the same pattern as they have in the past.

They probably won't drop. The new refurbs won't hit the store for months. Previous-generation refurbs are sometimes priced slighty HIGHER than current refurbs that are more powerful. Look at the 2010 i3 iMacs that cost more than the current base i5 iMac in the refurb store right now.

Sure, it has the 1TB HD but the rest of the computer is worse.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 18, 2012

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Digital_Jesus posted:

Yup. Artifacting and screen garbles like that are definitely a sign of a GPU starting to poo poo itself. To the fruit market you go!

Thanks for the confirmation. I took it in and they said I'd probably get it back in 7 - 10 days. :-(

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 18, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

McFunkerson posted:

This may be a silly suggestion but... Make sure you take it into an Apple Store. I used to work at an Apple Store that was right across the way from a MAC store. People would walk in the MAC store first wondering why the store was full of cosmetics before the employees directed them to the Apple Store. I never saw anyone drag in a computer for repair to the MAC store, but I'm sure stranger things have happened.
That is awesome. Thanks.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

McFunkerson posted:

This may be a silly suggestion but... Make sure you take it into an Apple Store. I used to work at an Apple Store that was right across the way from a MAC store. People would walk in the MAC store first wondering why the store was full of cosmetics before the employees directed them to the Apple Store. I never saw anyone drag in a computer for repair to the MAC store, but I'm sure stranger things have happened.

I would but there isn't a single Apple store in Belgium. Closest for me would be Paris or Amsterdam.

Edit: hurr, just realized you were talking about the makeup store. In my defense the local resellers are called MacLine and Easy-Mac.

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 18, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Digital_Jesus posted:

Excuse me, but you mean Fruit Stand

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully he means the Apple Store because calling it the Fruit Stand is dumb.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

McFunkerson posted:

I just discovered that MAC store with a friend the other day so either you worked at the Pasadena Apple Store or there are several such cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Try coconutBattery. Sometimes the health goes up and down randomly, I don't know whats up with that.

How many cycles do you have on that thing?

Coconutbattery says I have 92% capacity, and 165 cycles

Bob Morales posted:

How long does it last?

I get around 4-6 hours on it... 6 hours of webbrowsing, with the screen under half brightness, and when at work i get about 4 hours of programming and photoshop work using a dual monitors...

So all in all very good lengths of time.. Just I was curious if istatpro is wrong.. which it looks to be