Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

EVGA is -KR'ing the crap out of the 600-series, too. Where's my lifetime warranty, EVGA? Come on! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They're discontinuing those June 1st. July 1st? Something. I assume they aren't making any AR parts for 600s

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

td4guy posted:

If anyone's waiting on the dual-fan overclocked EVGA SC Signature 2 GTX 680, it's apparently still coming, and more information will be released on it at the end of the month. (source)

No idea why you'd want it over the ASUS version aside from brand loyalty though.

Can you even GET the ASUS ones anywhere? I've yet to see them for sale.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

KillHour posted:

Can you even GET the ASUS ones anywhere? I've yet to see them for sale.

In the UK, Scan and Novatech both have them listed though they're not yet in stock. The former lists it as "overdue since the 11th May", so guessing something's gone wrong in the distribution chain.

e: Overclockers.co.uk has them in stock it seems.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 16, 2012

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Low yields have caused a serious shortage in Kepler GPUs, and they're pretty much all sold out everywhere. Go search for a GTX 680 on Newegg right now. Nothin'. One model will show up in stock almost every weekday afternoon and sell out after five minutes. People have been using this Newegg screen-scraper app to try and get ahead.

The release of the GTX 670 has alleviated this somewhat, as they were able to release not-as-good chips with one bad SMX disabled. But now a lot of the 670s are sold out too.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

td4guy posted:

Low yields have caused a serious shortage in Kepler GPUs, and they're pretty much all sold out everywhere. Go search for a GTX 680 on Newegg right now. Nothin'. One model will show up in stock almost every weekday afternoon and sell out after five minutes. People have been using this Newegg screen-scraper app to try and get ahead.

The release of the GTX 670 has alleviated this somewhat, as they were able to release not-as-good chips with one bad SMX disabled. But now a lot of the 670s are sold out too.

Yeah, they sell out real fast. Alereon got an order in for an Asus 2GB GTX670 I think he said, you could try to find out where he lives and fight him for it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

New consoles and new graphics cards built on process shrinks/new tech: things I don't even try to buy for several months after launch.

If I just luck into one that's a different story, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth if I'm browsing Amazon and looking at 680s and there's one in stock that's actually new and not a scalper making a few hundred bucks on the damned thing. But I don't go searching for something that's virtually guaranteed to have absurd scarcity that soon, you've gotta be either very lucky, supremely dedicated (shopping bots for video cards? seriously?), or moneybags willing to pay a scalper 33%+ extra for the privilege of getting it while they're not so easy to come by.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah I'll be waiting for the Lightning version of the 680.

I'm really enjoying my generously donated Lightning 580, except for the stupid PWM indicator LEDs.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Agreed posted:

EVGA is -KR'ing the crap out of the 600-series, too. Where's my lifetime warranty, EVGA? Come on! :mad:

Extended warranties will be things you can buy for any card. I think you can max it out at 10 years. Single retail SKU, simpler.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Quick question, would a 1 GB Radeon HD 7570 be okay for games around Diablo 3 caliber?

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

Soul Glo posted:

Quick question, would a 1 GB Radeon HD 7570 be okay for games around Diablo 3 caliber?

I can't answer, but it would be helpful to know the resolution of your screen.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Are the GTX 670's that rare now? I bought one on Friday from newegg and they had a few in stock. It arrives tomorrow so I'll be sure to post a trip report with the new 2560x1440 Catleap, which also arrives tomorrow (I missed DHL today)
Please don't fight me for it. I'm not a good fighter.

EDIT: Just checked newegg and they got 2 brands in. One of them being $399 and it has a slight factory overclock.

Dotcom656 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 17, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Soul Glo posted:

Check it out yourself.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's a better deal? The TigerDirect Zotac 560 Ti at 905MHz/4010MHz for $183 after tax, rebate and free shipping for the Newegg Zotac 560 Ti at 950MHz/4400MHz for $188 after rebate, shipping, and no tax?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Josh Lyman posted:

What's a better deal? The TigerDirect Zotac 560 Ti at 905MHz/4010MHz for $183 after tax, rebate and free shipping for the Newegg Zotac 560 Ti at 950MHz/4400MHz for $188 after rebate, shipping, and no tax?

Better deal is dealing as little as possible with TigerDirect.

ReliableSand
Apr 28, 2008
So I upgraded from a 5850 to a 670 EVGA 02G-P4-2670-KR (bought it the day it came out after reading a couple reviews). All in all the improvement is great. Crysis 2 runs effortlessly maxed out with 4x AA on my 1920x1080 screen. Unigine Heaven demo same deal. FPS gains are great and it has enabled me to bump up AA in all my games, Skyrim most noticeably appreciated.

The only exception is Arkham City. Performance with DX11 features is poo poo with tons of fps lag spikes (70 fps to 3 fps for example). Internet research blames this on shoddy code. So I switch to DX9 and crank up PhysX. Things are much better, but lag spikes still happen. Whether inside or outside in the game the spikes occur when anything "happens", like the gpu is falling behind with rendering changes to a scene or scripted events. It happens when entering rooms, anytime the camera pans, when messages/audio plays, etc. It's very frustrating.

On another side note, Crysis 1 saw an average 5FPS boost over my 5850. This is based off the GPU benchmark packaged with the game on Ultra with no AA. I'm figuring that's more to do with Crytek 2 engine being a resource hog, though I'd be interested to see if any GTX 670 users noticed either majorly improved framerate for that game or otherwise.

More research seems to point to an issue with DX9 games under-utilizing the GPU, most notably in Unreal Engine 3 games. Someone on nVidia forums says a bug report was filed for a later driver update. Since GTX 6 series owners are still sporting launch drivers that might actually fix the problem.

Any other GTX 670 users know what I'm talking about?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Unreal Engine 3 was just never designed for environments that large, so the AC devs had to employ quite a bit of streaming stuff that seems to create hitches whenever you move around the environment. It drove me nuts that my 2600k @ 4.6 GHz with a GTX 680 was still getting hiccups so I switched to a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD and that cleaned most of it up.

Basically, I think the hitches are caused by loading new data from your hard drive/SSD. You'll usually get a hiccup the first time you spin the camera around in an environment since it hasn't loaded everything, but do it again and it won't hiccup. Maybe they could patch it to be better optimized for large amount of system RAM or video RAM, but at this point I think it is what it is.

Arkham City really showcases the limits of UE3, unfortunately. Their DX11 code path appears to be a piece of poo poo too and the SSAO implementation destroys frame rates.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 17, 2012

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Here's a question... since 580s are basically getting sold left and right now, how much performance improvement would I really see with one over a 560Ti? Thinking about selling mine off for maybe $180ish and grabbing an upgrade.

ReliableSand
Apr 28, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Unreal Engine 3 was just never designed for environments that large, so the AC devs had to employ quite a bit of streaming stuff that seems to create hitches whenever you move around the environment. It drove me nuts that my 2600k @ 4.6 GHz with a GTX 680 was still getting hiccups so I switched to a 256GB Samsung 830 SSD and that cleaned most of it up.

Fascinating! I am using a single 500GB 7200RPM drive and based on when the issues actually occur in game that makes complete sense. In that case it sounds like the ball is in Rocksteady's court to patch the game, but since the original DX11 "Fix" patches were released late last year there hasn't been a peep about them still working on it. Since it hit consoles first I can't say I'm all that hopeful they will.

Is there a way of disabling texture streaming so all content for a level loads from the beginning at the sacrifice of longer load times?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
At the dev level, sure. But when you're targeting a console with 512 MB of RAM for both game and graphics, it's the :effort: thing to do not to change that behavior for other platforms.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

Check it out yourself.
Does anyone have any particular idea why the 6770 seems to be mostly outperforming the 6850 here?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The 6770 is a VLIW5 part and 6850 is VLIW4. D3 might be one of those rare games that uses that fifth codepath and gets more mileage out of it than just having more SIMD cores.

Whatever the hell Special Functions is, maybe it's important?

ReliableSand
Apr 28, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

At the dev level, sure. But when you're targeting a console with 512 MB of RAM for both game and graphics, it's the :effort: thing to do not to change that behavior for other platforms.

So I looked into Arkham City more and the general consensus from multiple forums on the internet (Steam, nVidia, Rocksteady) is that everyone who tries to use PhysX or DX11 will have stutters and sharp FPS drops. What a shame. It looks like they're released patches more recently than I thought so maybe something may come. Mean time it looks like I'll be turning PhysX down or turning it off entirely.

That now being clarified, I'm very happy with my 670. I'm thinking down the line when I feel more ambitious and finances permit I'll upgrade the rest of my kit and open myself up to dual 670's in SLI.

I've also got a Passive 3D Vizio TV. Anyone know if nVidia's 3D will work with that?

EDIT: Guess 3D vision and Passive 3D don't work well together. Anyone know how much (if any) better 3D gaming is on computers versus on consoles?

ReliableSand fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 17, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

zenintrude posted:

Better deal is dealing as little as possible with TigerDirect.
For a return situation, I can understand. But it's not like it's so difficult to ship a single video card to Atlanta... or is it? :tinfoil:

I'm leaning toward the slightly slower and $5 cheaper TigerDirect one since I can always OC it and the Newegg one is so overclocked that it has overheating issues, though I'm reading mixed reports of overheating in 560 Ti's in general that a BIOS update was supposed to address. :confused:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Looks like EVGA is recalling some GTX 670s:

http://hardocp.com/news/2012/05/16/evga_minirecall_on_gtx_670

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I got my HD7850 today and I have an issue where when the screen goes into standby after inactivity the screen does want to come back even after moving the mouse, tapping the keyboard, and turning the screen off and back on. I have to hit the reset button or press and hold the power button to shut it down. It has happened twice so far so is it a driver issue or a bad card?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

movax posted:

It may be worth investigating 2x 570 performance vs. single 670 performance, and seeing how much you can sell your 570 for.

I just read the SLI bit in the OP. Just to clarify, they need the same model (ie GF110) only? Memory/clock speed doesn't affect compatibility?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

4 Day Weekend posted:

Just to clarify, they need the same model (ie GF110) only? Memory/clock speed doesn't affect compatibility?

Yes but if you use two cards with different clock speed/amount of memory then the faster card will work like the slower one, extra memory will remain unused and clock speeds will be lowered to match the slower card.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Yes but if you use two cards with different clock speed/amount of memory then the faster card will work like the slower one, extra memory will remain unused and clock speeds will be lowered to match the slower card.

That's fine. Couldn't you overclock both cards though?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

They need to have the same amount of memory too. At least this is what an EVGA rep once told me.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

4 Day Weekend posted:

I just read the SLI bit in the OP. Just to clarify, they need the same model (ie GF110) only? Memory/clock speed doesn't affect compatibility?

BFE's mistaken. SLI require both the same GPU (e.g. GF110), the same number of active SMs/SMXs (i.e. CUDA cores) and ROPs, the same memory bus bitwidth, and the same amount of memory.

Examples:
    GeForce 460 768MB + GeForce 460 (current SKU)
  • Same GPU: No (GF104 + GF114)
  • Same CUDA cores: Yes (336)
  • Same memory bus: Yes (192 bit)
  • Same memory amount: No (768MB + 1GB)
  • SLI: No
    GeForce 570 + GeForce 560 Ti-448
  • Same GPU: Yes (GF110)
  • Same CUDA cores: No (480 + 448)
  • Same memory bus: Yes (320 bit)
  • Same memory amount: Yes (1.25GB)
    GeForce 460 1024MB + GeForce 460 768MB
  • Same GPU: Yes (GF104)
  • Same memory bus: No (256 bit + 192 bit)
  • Same memory amount: No (1GB + 768MB)
    GeForce 580 1.5GB + GeForce 580 3GB
  • Same CUDA cores: Yes (512)
  • Same memory bus: Yes (384 bit)
  • Same memory amount: No (1.5GB vs. 3GB)
However, you can use the Coolbits software package to soft-off the features of the better GPU until they are both at the lowest common denominator, but this is not an automatic thing like it is with AMD, and Nvidia does not recommend doing it. This probably is because Coolbits hasn't been updated since 2004.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 17, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

BFE's mistaken. SLI require both the same GPU (e.g. GF110), the same number of active SMs/SMXs (i.e. CUDA cores) and ROPs, the same memory bus bitwidth, and the same amount of memory.

Examples:
    GeForce 460 768MB + GeForce 460 (current SKU)
  • Same GPU: No (GF104 + GF114)
  • Same memory bus: Yes (192 bit)
  • Same memory amount: No (768MB + 1GB)
    GeForce 570 + GeForce 560 Ti-448
  • Same CUDA cores: No (480 + 448)
  • Same memory bus: Yes (320 bit)
  • Same memory amount: Yes (1.25GB)
    GeForce 460 1024MB + GeForce 460 768MB
  • Same GPU: Yes (GF104)
  • Same memory bus: No (256 bit + 192 bit)
  • Same memory amount: No (1GB + 768MB)
    GeForce 580 1.5GB + GeForce 580 3GB
  • Same CUDA cores: Yes (512)
  • Same memory bus: Yes (384 bit)
  • Same memory amount: No (1.5GB vs. 3GB)
However, you can use the Coolbits software package to soft-off the features of the better GPU until they are both at the lowest common denominator, but this is not an automatic thing like it is with AMD, and Nvidia does not recommend doing it. This probably is because Coolbits hasn't been updated since 2004.

Oops, I've been wrong too then. To the OP with that!

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Holy poop on a stick. Nvidia announced Tesla hardware based on GK104 and GK110.

Full details aren't out yet, but it looks like the full GK110 die is based on 2880 Kepler CUDA cores (1440 Fermi equivalent) in 15 SMXs, eight times the number of FP64-enabled cores per SMX vs. GK104, triple the L2 cache vs. GK104, 32-thread symmetric multithreading at the card level (Hyper-Q, like hyperthreading on Intel processors), the ability for GPU threads to spawn additional GPU threads without CPU intervention, a 384-bit memory bus, and 7.1 billion loving transisters per chip.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Will it be able to max out Metro 2033 with PhysX at 1600p? :downs:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It might even run Crysis.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

movax posted:

Oops, I've been wrong too then. To the OP with that!

That must've been where I got it from, totally not my fault. :ninja:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Factory Factory posted:

Holy poop on a stick. Nvidia announced Tesla hardware based on GK104 and GK110.

Full details aren't out yet, but it looks like the full GK110 die is based on 2880 Kepler CUDA cores (1440 Fermi equivalent) in 15 SMXs, eight times the number of FP64-enabled cores per SMX vs. GK104, triple the L2 cache vs. GK104, 32-thread symmetric multithreading at the card level (Hyper-Q, like hyperthreading on Intel processors), the ability for GPU threads to spawn additional GPU threads without CPU intervention, a 384-bit memory bus, and 7.1 billion loving transisters per chip.

It's passively cooled too, looks like a good choice for a HTPC.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Arkham City really showcases the limits of UE3, unfortunately. Their DX11 code path appears to be a piece of poo poo too and the SSAO implementation destroys frame rates.

The patch that came out in March has resolved my lingering performance issues, but I'm also running an overclocked 580, so I might not be the best judge. It was STILL getting hitches in a couple of heavy tessellation areas before this patch.

spasticColon posted:

I got my HD7850 today and I have an issue where when the screen goes into standby after inactivity the screen does want to come back even after moving the mouse, tapping the keyboard, and turning the screen off and back on. I have to hit the reset button or press and hold the power button to shut it down. It has happened twice so far so is it a driver issue or a bad card?

You're using displayport, aren't you? Welcome to displayport.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

They're passively cooled as long as they're in a 110 dBA forced-air server enclosure, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Why would you stick a compute card into an HTPC?