Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Farm Frenzy posted:

Its got a real scifi paperback feel to it. I'm a bit annoyed by the photoshopped in face on the blonde lady though

Yeah, but even that isn't bothering me that much. As you said, it's got that great vintage scifi feel to it which I really dig. As far as, let's try to cater to the action loving crowd, this is really nice and dare I say classy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Radio Paranoia posted:

It sort of gives the impression the characters are more concerned with hauling their arses up the side of a crater in clunky suits than a giant ship exploding above them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Radio Paranoia posted:

Urgh, a buddy of mine just posted this on Facebook. I guess this is the poster that appeals to the action movie crowd over the horror buffs. Isn't the whole point of Prometheus' marketing campaign so far to be insidious and disturbing rather than Whizz! Bam! Boom!

You mean the movie that has trailers that have the Inception Horn :wom: (or Reaper Farts for those exposed to ME3). Also, I'm fairly certain the exploding ships occurs in the trailer, so it's not that much of a spoiler.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, the ship explosion was in the first trailer/teaser, not much of a spoiler.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Radio Paranoia posted:

:colbert:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I'd love to have the Prometheus poster illustrated like that.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hahah, this is great! :cheers:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Young Freud posted:

You mean the movie that has trailers that have the Inception Horn :wom: (or Reaper Farts for those exposed to ME3). Also, I'm fairly certain the exploding ships occurs in the trailer, so it's not that much of a spoiler.

I think you mean the sound effect used in the Alien and Aliens trailers when they were first released.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

PriorMarcus posted:

I think you mean the sound effect used in the Alien and Aliens trailers when they were first released.

The Alien siren sound was used in the original trailer, but the heavy horn blasts have probably been around forever (pretty sure they weren't in the original Alien trailer). Either way the evolution of the 'horn blast' has reached it's pinnacle with the blast + siren combo in the Prometheus trailer. It's the best.

e: and the blast is actually done by low strings in the Prometheus trailer.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 17, 2012

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Is there a way to buy large sized posters of those (or other) book covers? There is a used bookstore near me that has movie size posters of some famous book covers but the staff has no idea where they came from.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Part of those horns come based on listening to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB-wuKo9rW0

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

jet sanchEz posted:

Is there a way to buy large sized posters of those (or other) book covers? There is a used bookstore near me that has movie size posters of some famous book covers but the staff has no idea where they came from.
There's an excellent Flick group called "Pulp Fiction" that has a lot of really hi-res scans of stuff like this that will easily blow up to 20x30 at a print shop.

You can also just search the magazine titles on Flickr to get masses of print-quality stuff returned.

Day of the Comet by paul.malon, on Flickr

I went on a bit of a favouriting kick for old pulp stuff last week, dip in:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nonemorenegative/favorites/

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 17, 2012

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Let the marketing blitz begin!

In all seriousness, though, I'm really excited for this. The poster's a little strange, though . . . It looks like two of them only have one leg.

Apparently a teaser's going to be attached to The Dictator. They're really getting the word out on this one.

Now we know whose pants are whose: http://www.buzzfeed.com/whitneyjefferson/watch-a-teaser-for-anchorman-2

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

futureproof posted:

My brain can't even compute this.

I'd say this deserves a Get In the Cage segment all on its own.

Also, he looks seriously anime there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Those mondos went on sale and I was in the loving washroom, didn't get the grey conan but nabbed the regular one. Ah well, $85 for the grey was a bit much anyways.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Yeah, I went to the kitchen to fix breakfast, come back...SOLD OUT.

Goddddddamnit.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, the ship explosion was in the first trailer/teaser, not much of a spoiler.
This has no bearing on whether it's a spoiler or not. I purposefully avoid trailers because they all give away the first 2 acts of the plot.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Farm Frenzy posted:

Its got a real scifi paperback feel to it. I'm a bit annoyed by the photoshopped in face on the blonde lady though

Same, I don't mind it except for the faces. The blonde lady because of how fake it looks, and the brunette lady because of her expression. She just looks like she really needs to go to the bathroom.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Sir Lemming posted:

Same, I don't mind it except for the faces. The blonde lady because of how fake it looks, and the brunette lady because of her expression. She just looks like she really needs to go to the bathroom.

IN SPACE NO ONE WILL LET YOU PEE

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

There's something really loving fascinating to Denzel's right.

Also, Heart Condition.

IMDB Trivia posted:

Talked into making this film by his agent, Denzel Washington fired him shortly afterwards.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 17, 2012

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Bunch of new posters from Filmdrunk.com

The sun is below, yet in front of the horizon... somehow...

Why is everyone's head slightly askew?
(also cue the Bruce, trigger discipline! posts from the TFR crew)

YES

NO!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dillbag posted:

YES

NO

He's apparently walking down the barrel of the gun, because he's the size of a thimble. It just looks like he got sick of having that thing pointed at the beginning of every movie so he's decided to take matters into his own hands and take out that bullet once and for all.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Dillbag posted:

YES

loving awesome! Smoothest poo poo I ever saw!

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Holy poo poo, it's a The Thing with Two Heads remake!

quote:

A racist cop receives a heart transplant from a black lawyer he hates, who returns as a ghost to ask the cop to help take down the men who murdered him.

quote:

A rich but racist man is dying and hatches an elaborate scheme for transplanting his head onto another man's body. His health deteriorates rapidly, and doctors are forced to transplant his head onto the only available candidate: a black man from death row.

Well, not exactly but close enough!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

zenintrude posted:

Holy poo poo, it's a The Thing with Two Heads remake!

Well, not exactly but close enough!

Be careful what you wish for, I guess :smith:

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
For some .GIF clips, check here: http://televandalist.com/tagged/the+thing+with+two+heads

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Jefferoo posted:

For some .GIF clips, check here: http://televandalist.com/tagged/the+thing+with+two+heads

The Greatest Movie TM

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jefferoo posted:

Plus its creation was directly responsible for the formation of the Incredible Bongo Band.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

He's like the real life Zoolander. He can't turn left.

At least until Magnum comes out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Dissapointed Owl posted:

NO

He's apparently walking down the barrel of the gun, because he's the size of a thimble. It just looks like he got sick of having that thing pointed at the beginning of every movie so he's decided to take matters into his own hands and take out that bullet once and for all.

I think it's supposed to be a sewer or something styled after the bond openings. Notice the water at the bottom?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I wonder if there was a limited selection of covers, or if by some coincidence the exact same scene happens in two different books.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

victorious posted:

I wonder if there was a limited selection of covers, or if by some coincidence the exact same scene happens in two different books.

Hey, buddy, there's only so many sci-fi stories you can write. There's bound to be two stories where there's a space traveler at the top of a mountain throwing a giant boulder at another space traveler standing next to a giant crevice.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hey, buddy, there's only so many sci-fi stories you can write. There's bound to be two stories where there's a space traveler at the top of a mountain throwing a giant boulder at another space traveler standing next to a giant crevice.

Its like the Kirk vs Gorn scene in Stark Trek. Maybey Roddenberry read these before coming up with that episode.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

victorious posted:

Funnily enough, the same cover was also used for Jeff Lint's "One Less Bastard"...

http://Wikipedia.org/jeff_lint

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I honestly can't remember whether that happened in Solar Lottery or not. I don't want to rule it out because I'm sure there was a chase scene on an asteroid/moon or something like that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cartoon Man posted:

Its like the Kirk vs Gorn scene in Stark Trek.

"These are the voyages of the Starship Westeros. Its five-year mission: to explore strange sexual practices; to seek out new ways of putting gratuitous nudity on the TV; to boldly come where no man has come before!"

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Not only was it fascinating, apparently it was flammable.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It seems like he's trying to push Dakota Fanning into the flames.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Alhazred posted:

It seems like he's trying to push Dakota Fanning into the flames.

I've heard of fanning the flames, but this is ridiculous! :rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

victorious posted:

I want to say that someone mentioned in a different thread that the authors of the books had pretty much no say on the cover art of their books. Pretty much the publisher would tell you what the cover was going to look like, no matter how non-sensical it may be.