Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

I'm Scottish...

:angel:

When I played a 'pickup game' in California, people were surprised by how robust my challenges were.

You know, up until yesterday all the Scots I'd played with were closer to 60 than 50, and every single one of them would either end up on the ground at some point or (more likely) put someone else on the ground, hard, then get back up and do it all again ten minutes later. One guy at work wasn't more than 5'4" and he would win headers against much bigger guys by simply muscling his way into position. This guy yesterday, though, was young(er), thinner, and ganglier, and looked to be a finesse player (or at least wanted to be), so, exception to the rule, I guess.

iajanus posted:

I love the way you've differentiated between Tasmanians and the rest of us. The mainland thanks you ;)

Heh. That was definitely on purpose. Early on, when I had only talked to him once or twice, I made the mistake of saying to him, "Hey, now, you're a Kiwi, right?" One of the Aussies was standing nearby and let out a long, low, "Uh oh", and after the second or so of me thinking I'd get my head bashed in we all had a good laugh.

But really the diversity is why I love to play more now than I ever did as a kid. One of my teammates played in the pro leagues (not sure which division, though) in Honduras in his twenties. Another played for the Venezuelan national youth team in his teens. That little Scottish guy had a nephew in Liverpool's youth academy. This is all very exciting to someone like me, whose rinky-dink private school sports league played all of three soccer games one year (the rest being cancelled due to lack of players, interest, whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
We finally won another game, against the same team we beat in the first game of the season (they haven't won any games (or tied them)).

We started with only two girls so had to start with only 9 players. Another girl showed up a few minutes into the game, and a few more guy subs showed up as well to get us up to about a full strength squad. Even playing down we took control of the game early on, though not having any real threats on goal.

We scored right before half time, though the guy who scored injured himself in doing so, said he heard a "pop" in his knee when he planted his foot. He was able to come on for 5 minutes later in the second half so it wasn't that bad.

We then went and scored a second goal right after the second half started, which pretty much set the tone for the rest of the half. Two players got braces, including the guy who played keeper last game (which we lost 4-2 because we are usually not good and were missing our keeper and other important players). The score ended 6-1, with their only goal a header from a corner in the last few minutes of the game.

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
drew again, we really deserved to win 1-0 but a ping-ponging ball from a corner somehow found the back of our net.

what i really posted here to say is how much fun playing in the rain is. i absolutely have loved it since i was a kid and tonight was a nice reminder why, 10 foot slide tackles and through balls that just keep going

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

mang posted:

drew again, we really deserved to win 1-0 but a ping-ponging ball from a corner somehow found the back of our net.

what i really posted here to say is how much fun playing in the rain is. i absolutely have loved it since i was a kid and tonight was a nice reminder why, 10 foot slide tackles and through balls that just keep going

Until it all turns to mud, then it gets even more fun with any ball on the ground stopping suddenly and wrong-footing everyone. We play on turf so no mud, but rain makes it really slippery.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lazlow posted:

Heh. That was definitely on purpose. Early on, when I had only talked to him once or twice, I made the mistake of saying to him, "Hey, now, you're a Kiwi, right?" One of the Aussies was standing nearby and let out a long, low, "Uh oh", and after the second or so of me thinking I'd get my head bashed in we all had a good laugh.

Even more fun is that most of my family is from Canada and now lives in NZ, so they get to have a chip on their shoulder in two ways :D. Especially from someone in the real country :D.

Had a catchup game last Sunday to make up for a rained out game two weeks ago. Got to play the worst team in the league, which made it easier, and we crushed them 8-0. Coupled with a 3-1 win on Saturday we're now 4-0-0 with a +/- of 17/2 :D. Next week we're up against the other team doing well, so it should be a good chance to kick away from the pack.

Played my half in goal on the Saturday game, got two awesome saves which nicely reminded me of my 21 years playing in goal. First was a 1-on-1 with the striker , reaction save left low with my foot; second was a back-diving tip onto the crossbar that rolled down the back. Got to lie on my back watching it sit on the bar for what seemed like hours. Although the fun of the second game sprinting around taking shots and making chances was awesome. Definitely starting to feel more comfortable on the field. Although having two games on the same weekend as a 18km training run for an upcoming half-marathon might not have been the best choice... Still feeling it now.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Actually have a real team this session... about time. We won 5-2, including a rare goal by yours truly. Well, by "goal" I mean I did a hard cross and it bounced off of one of their defenders and into the net. I'll take it.

I really enjoyed playing center back for once. Really refreshing when the other 5 players trust you enough on defense to all go attack at once, yet will come sprinting back if you yell when the other team tries a quick counterattack.

CAMiasm
Oct 5, 2006

Go MC Saints!
well my tiempo mystic iv TF arrived a few days ago

the difference in traction between flat soled indoor shoes and "nipple'd" turf shoes is incredible.

love 'em :)

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
I recently started playing in a heavily hispanic league where I am one of the few english speaking people on the team. It has been a lot of fun since the league is huge with around 20 teams. Not used to that coming from a league with 9 teams where we played each other once. We also are allowed to tackle in this league which is much better than no tackling.

The team was just formed this year and we are doing alright with 2 wins and 1 lose and a draw. We should have won the draw since we had a penalty we missed and a amazing free kick in the closing minutes that hit the underside of the bar.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Can anybody recommend some good shinguards?

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

I've been terrible at football my entire life, though as of late I've gotten into Premier League alot more than I did when I was younger. I played some pretty casual matches with alot of friends, and it was really fun, but wow, am I bad. I have never, ever practiced football in my entire life, probably, which is why I am bad. I have no ball control, I miss my passes, I'm easy to dribble past, etc. Do you guys have any tips on what I can work on when I'm alone to get generally better from a very low level? I'd just like to not panic when I get the ball. :)

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

I've been terrible at football my entire life, though as of late I've gotten into Premier League alot more than I did when I was younger. I played some pretty casual matches with alot of friends, and it was really fun, but wow, am I bad. I have never, ever practiced football in my entire life, probably, which is why I am bad. I have no ball control, I miss my passes, I'm easy to dribble past, etc. Do you guys have any tips on what I can work on when I'm alone to get generally better from a very low level? I'd just like to not panic when I get the ball. :)

I was in this situation recently, although my previous athletic experience (mainly hockey) transferred in some ways (knocking people off the ball!).

The main thing I find is to be comfortable not just in your own ability, but also the people you're playing with. I've played a few times with the same group of Arabs and last weekend we just started clicking where I was doing poo poo I didn't even think was possible. Your confidence will soar too. It's the reason I want to join a league and have some consistency with teammates.

Now that I'm back home for summer, I've been practicing accuracy more than anything because I enjoy that aspect of the game most (Scholes influence). Not sure what kind of area you have to practice in, but we have chopped wood in my back yard and I just set up a log and continually try to hit it while sprinting after the ball each time. It's a small target and it helps build endurance up sprinting after a free ball because I'm poo poo.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

There's not much to say other than practice. Your ball control, passing etc will improve the more you play. I didn't play at all for about 10 years (from age 15 or so until 26-27), and I don't remember ever being particularly good, but when I started playing again it was like riding a bike and it all came back quick enough.

Not panicking when you get the ball is incredibly important though, you need to get the ball under control and know what you're going to do with it. You need to know where your teammates are, particularly those nearby. They should be communicating with you. If you're immediately under pressure, the best thing to do is pass it (and don't be afraid to go backwards). If you're not under pressure, you still need to decide what to do with it, whether it be dribble, or look for a pass, or shoot or whatever.

If you want to practice on your own, I guess you can practice a bit of control and passing (having cones or something might be needed). You could set up cones at varying distances and angles and practice playing passes to them. Remember that the weight and speed of the pass is really just as important as accuracy; even if you successfully get it to a teammate, if you've over-hit it then they're going to have a poo poo time getting it under control, if you under-hit it then you're selling them short. It'll take a bit of practice/experience but it'll become pretty automatic (although the surface you're playing on can affect it).

What kind of ball control do you have problems with? Your first touch (receiving a pass etc) or controlling it when you're in possession? If it's the former, I guess you could bounce a ball off a wall or kicking it up and practice getting it under control. The latter, well it's easy enough to just practice dribbling on your own in a field.

Defensively, if you're being dribbled past a lot, I'd say stop stepping into challenges so much. :) You're better off standing up to the opposition player, typically between him/her and the goal. Again, it helps to have a bit of awareness and know where their teammates are, because it'll help you read what they're going to do. If they kick it past you, just track them. If they pass it off, it's someone else's problem. If you charge in with a challenge then most of the time they'll just be able to waltz around you.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

I spent a few months trying to just learn how to play during pickup games. Although I learned a lot about positioning and how the game is played in general, my touch and passing was so bad that I wasn't able to accomplish much. What I've found is that when learning from scratch, you just need a lot of time on the ball. This isn't going to happen much when you're playing with other folks. Approach it as if you were a kid again. Start small and build up. I went from nothing to sort of having a clue via the following:

Touch practice - move the ball around in different ways with your feet
wall work - kick the ball against the wall in various ways
Dribbling practice - walk/jog/run with the ball and try different turns
Juggling practice - bounce the ball on a hard surface, then try a 1 touch juggle with one foot. after you get used to this, try for 2 touches/alternate etc...

It's really that simple, but takes time. Spend an hour doing that stuff 3 or 4 times a week. After about 100 hours you'll start to get a feel for things.

I find I learn best by watching a move multiple times on youtube or whatever and then trying to the move step by step in slow motion. Then I try it standing still and/or walking or at a very slow speed. Eventually you practice the move at full speed and incorporate it into your dribbling or whatever. I wouldn't worry too much about shooting for a bit.

Regarding panicking when you're on the ball... first build some skills and get comfortable dribbling/passing, then play a lot of pickup. It's really tough at first and even good/pro players panic sometimes. I think a lot of that is a mental thing.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

mixitwithblop posted:

Regarding panicking when you're on the ball... first build some skills and get comfortable dribbling/passing, then play a lot of pickup. It's really tough at first and even good/pro players panic sometimes. I think a lot of that is a mental thing.

Going along with that, mastering a move or two that you can rely on to create space goes a long way towards helping you calm down.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

Practice first touch by kicking a ball against a wall or something - being able to control it instantly will give you so much more time on the ball.

Also, fitness.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Don't be afraid to put your body about. Even the worst player can put off a decent player with a two footed reducer.

Edit: But really - use your body. Touch etc is obviously massively important, but knowing how to turn and shield the ball after receiving possession to give yourself some time, or jockeying with your opposite number on the wing - essential skills.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 10, 2012

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Alctel posted:

Also, fitness.
This one's been big for my ramping back up. It's all well and if you can keep pace in the first 30 mins, but once your legs start getting heavy, your technique can go to poo poo right away.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Baibai Kuaikuai posted:

I have a size 1 ball in my living room, whenever I watch matches on TV (As apposed to streaming onto a laptop...) I'm always just dribbling the ball around my living room, doing little turns and step overs because I get fidgety sitting down anyway.

I think it helps my close control but each to their own I guess.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Played bottom of the league last night and we won 8-3. I scored a decent goal after the keeper made a fine save tipping a long range effort onto the post. I let the ball roll back to me before planting it across the keeper with my wrong foot. very happy.

Amusingly, a young chap fouled me after catching me on the shin and them accused me of diving. Moments later he did a HORRIBLE challenge on my team mate just below the knee and got a talking to by the referee. his excuse was "oh, I didn't mean to do that one!" Horrible prick. should never set out to hurt anyone.

After the game I shook hands as that's the right thing, he cautiously asked me if he should shake hands with my team, asking "they're not going to jump me are they?" Er...

He was a ringer as our opponents didn't have enough players. look forward to playing his team later in the year.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I prevented a goal without even playing tonight.

Last Monday I got kicked in the heal hard enough to have a bruise and a slight limp for a few days. The last few days I was OK walking around so I thought maybe I could play, but was unfortunately wrong. As soon as I started jogging to warm up the pain shot right back up.

Our keeper is a good shot stopper but is horrible at not coming out to meet a ball and doesn't yell nearly enough, so I figured I'd walk behind the goal (didn't have my team colors showing) and give him some encouragement.

The other team had a free kick just outside the box while I was still standing behind the goal. The ref didn't want me there (he claims for my safety but that seems a bit silly) so asked me to go to the sideline and asked the free kick taker to wait until I had done so.

I went to the sideline but before I had gotten halfway to the corner flag the other team took the kick and it went in. The ref called it back since he had told the other team to wait. He then blew his whistle for it to be retaken but just then noticed a ball from another game bouncing into the box so again said "wait". Again, the other team didn't wait, kicked it, and the ball went in the net. Again, the ref called it back because he had yelled "wait".

They missed the 3rd time, we ended up winning 3-1, and our keeper came out beyond the penalty area to stop two or three fast breaks, when before he would pretty much never leave the box.

That's my story and the end of the season. It felt great to get back into it after something like 5 years so even with a losing record (3W-3D-4L) it was pretty fun.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

I'm getting back into playing after having not really done so for about a bazillion years, mostly playing right back in pickup games. I may be joining a league pretty soon, but I'm a little fatter than I'd like to be, and definitely low on stamina. Anyone have any recommendations for books on training regimens and such? I'd really like to get a bit more serious about getting fit than just doing ball control drills in my living room with my cat.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

relative_q posted:

I'm getting back into playing after having not really done so for about a bazillion years, mostly playing right back in pickup games. I may be joining a league pretty soon, but I'm a little fatter than I'd like to be, and definitely low on stamina. Anyone have any recommendations for books on training regimens and such? I'd really like to get a bit more serious about getting fit than just doing ball control drills in my living room with my cat.

Interval sprints. Check out any guide to high intensity interval training. If you've got a field to mess around in, do your sprints with a ball, that way you're building fitness and ball control.

Right back is probably one of the worst positions you can play in if you're out of shape - did you choose that?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

relative_q posted:

Do intervals once a week, and a long aerobic jog another time each week. Assuming you're playing actual games once a week, that's 3 days of cardio per week. Add a couple of days per week of weight training and you should get in shape fairly quickly.

Free and good information on all kinds of training information are available everywhere on the internet, including other threads. However, on a basic level, intervals would consist of doing a few minutes of a warmup run, then alternate 1 minute of running at 90%+ intensity with 1 minute of a slow jog, repeating for a total of 20 minutes. There are other programs for intervals, but for someone out of shape that will be your easiest bridge into increasing your endurance.

For your distance run, just get out and run for 3-5 (or more) miles at a pace just above where you could hold a conversation with someone else who was running with you. If you have a HRM, that'd be at 70-75% of your max heart rate.

efb on the intervals

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 16, 2012

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

For your distance run, just get out and run for 3-5 (or more) miles at a pace just above where you could hold a conversation with someone else who was running with you. If you have a HRM, that'd be at 70-75% of your max heart rate.

Once you build up some base fitness from doing some distance runs there's really no reason to do them anymore. You should switch your focus to HIIT and working on recovery between sprinting.

Distance is great for getting your overall fitness levels up but it doesn't really correlate at all to football if that's what your main fitness focus really is.

In other news, playing my first game this weekend after almost a month off from pulling my hamstring. Should be interesting. I bought a pair of those fancy Adidas compression shorts so we'll see how those work out.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

GravityDaemon posted:

Right back is probably one of the worst positions you can play in if you're out of shape - did you choose that?

I kinda got stuck there, but it's where I played when I was a kid too. It hasn't been horribly bad, considering I'm just playing pickup games with other old fat guys. Even the league I may be joining up with soon is a pretty non-competitive old fat guy league; the desire to get back into shape is mostly just me being competitive with myself.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Shrapnac posted:

Distance is great for getting your overall fitness levels up but it doesn't really correlate at all to football if that's what your main fitness focus really is.

I run 5K/10Ks outside of just playing football, so I'm probably a little biased. Plus, 3 high intensity workouts a week when you're out of shape is pretty hardcore. Assuming you can already run a few miles without feeling like death, a more focused HIIT approach when playing football is your main target cardio is fine.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 171 days!
So wait, there's a difference between Turf and Synthetic Grass?

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Brandy Alexander posted:

So wait, there's a difference between Turf and Synthetic Grass?

Usually what people refer to as "turf" is the stuff that's like green carpet, while synthetic grass is the stuff that is more like real grass and has the black rubber pellet "dirt".

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 171 days!

relative_q posted:

Usually what people refer to as "turf" is the stuff that's like green carpet, while synthetic grass is the stuff that is more like real grass and has the black rubber pellet "dirt".

So turf shoes and synthetic grass shoes would be different?

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Brandy Alexander posted:

So turf shoes and synthetic grass shoes would be different?

The field we play on is synthetic grass, and everyone just uses regular grass shoes.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 171 days!
I guess what i'm trying to say is that we will also play on turf and will need different shoes, I was told we can use shoes with studs as long as they don't exceed 7mm. But i have no way to actually measure the stud height, and they don't mention it on the website either. Would something like this be ok?
http://www.zappos.com/puma-v5-11-tt-vibrant-yellow-parachute-purple

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

Pretty sure those will be fine for either surface.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Brandy Alexander posted:

I guess what i'm trying to say is that we will also play on turf and will need different shoes, I was told we can use shoes with studs as long as they don't exceed 7mm. But i have no way to actually measure the stud height, and they don't mention it on the website either. Would something like this be ok?
http://www.zappos.com/puma-v5-11-tt-vibrant-yellow-parachute-purple

Those are more designed for astroturf, the old carpet stuff.

Pretty much everyone I know plays in FG boots on synthetic grass(field turf, nexturf, what have you).

Some companies also offer AG boots which have a stud pattern like turf boots but they're actually shorter FG studs.

http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Ne=178&N=4294960675+867&Product_Id=4355673

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Those should still be fine as long as it isn't wet though.

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 171 days!
Thanks guys, I had already bought a pair of Nike Bomba for the artificial grass and went for the Puma V5.11 for turf.

Scikar posted:

Those should still be fine as long as it isn't wet though.

It never rains here so I should be ok.

slow hands
Feb 5, 2005
we slow hands
Anyone have experience with ankle braces? I sprained my ankle badly about a year and a half and it's definitely better. With that said, I've become super hesitant to shoot because I don't have very much confidence with the injured (strong) foot. I've done lots of single leg work in the gym and it's definitely improved, but I worry that's really as good as it's going to be, and I still tend to mistep about once a game and I'd like that to stop. Any suggestions?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Ankle braces blow. You either get the firm ones with plastics bits that restrict movement too much (which are honestly meant more for basketball players) or you get the softer ones that are like wearing a tight sock. Both only provide a false sense of security and inevitable frustration.

It's been a long time since your injury, so the only thing I can recommend is to just keep focusing on improving that ankle in the gym. Single leg work is great, but include stuff like plyometrics. I still have lingering ankle pain after two serious injuries. Joint injuries are the worst.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
six a side tonight, we were top and we played second. It ended 3-3 in a great game to play in. I'd say player for player they were better than us but we were organised and sprung on the counter. I probably had my best game for the team with some really good tackles and interceptions. These long legs really do come in handy when tricky little shits tried to do step overs and over such nonsense.

Roy take me to Poland I want to play for England, don't hate blacks (don't know any) and I can do a funny little dance in celebration if we score a goal

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I need some hard ground studded cleats. I've been using F-50 Tunits, but after losing another stud and not ever using anything but hard ground studs on our terrible fields, I've decided I don't want removable studs.

I like the F-50 boots and boots similar to them. Any suggestions or cheap places to look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

I need some hard ground studded cleats. I've been using F-50 Tunits, but after losing another stud and not ever using anything but hard ground studs on our terrible fields, I've decided I don't want removable studs.

I like the F-50 boots and boots similar to them. Any suggestions or cheap places to look?

There is an F50 hardground model: http://www.soccer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Ne=646&N=4294960675+425+4294959043&Product_Id=1700994