Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Hellbeard posted:

More hardener.

This is so true. At least with the silicone I use. The bin says to mix 2-5% hardener, with 2% meaning it cures in 24 hours and with 5% in 2-3 hours. In reality, anything less than 5% is a good bet on it never curing at all and around 8% being my normal amount for an overnight curing. Those instructions completely hosed me up in the beginning, until I found out a proper amount of hardener through trial and error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I found a trick to avoid the bubbles on the model. Before you pour, use a stiff brush (like a big oil painting one) to "paint" the model with silicone, really work it into it. Then pour. It worked perfectly for me, but your mileage may vary.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

HardCoil posted:

I found a trick to avoid the bubbles on the model. Before you pour, use a stiff brush (like a big oil painting one) to "paint" the model with silicone, really work it into it. Then pour. It worked perfectly for me, but your mileage may vary.

Makes sense. I've seen this on a tutorial once. Thanks for the tip I'll use it.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Fearless posted:

That is a mighty fine looking Ork for having taken a 20 year break. Have you been doing other models over the intervening decades?

This is a cold start. I was really freaked out when I held a sprue in my hands again for the first time in so long, because these things look a lot smaller than I remember, but I guess I was a bit smaller too. I was surprised that I could get most of the precision I needed(read: am capable of) from a 0 brush. I guess I was remembering the brushes being tinier than they were as well.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That ork looks pretty chalky. Try to do the flesh highlights with yellow instead of white, I guess? We've got a ton of great ork painters who'd know better, but that's what immediately stood out to me.

Other than that, goddamn, it looks good. Wouldn't know it was craft paints if you hadn't said it.

Yes. This is something I definitely need to learn - how to highlight without just adding white. I will give yellow a try, and maybe add some blue to my black highlights. A few more touchups after that and I'll set about ruining it with some matte sealer :ohdear:

Lastly, here is a tip I haven't seen anywhere before - I am finding it is working out pretty well to tack my minis to the top of a childproof pill bottle - one of the 'to open push down and turn' types.

You get a rotating top platform which you can control with one finger while keeping a decent grip, meaning you can easily lock the cap in place as well because of the way the childproof cap works.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Hellbeard posted:

Makes sense. I've seen this on a tutorial once. Thanks for the tip I'll use it.

Either that or you'll need to rig up a vaccum chamber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnVYqH1LWng

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
WIP shots of my take on Snikrot. Working on the skin, a little disappointed, considering the amount of layers a did. The pictures are also a bit dark.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

IrvingWashington posted:

Lastly, here is a tip I haven't seen anywhere before - I am finding it is working out pretty well to tack my minis to the top of a childproof pill bottle - one of the 'to open push down and turn' types.

You get a rotating top platform which you can control with one finger while keeping a decent grip, meaning you can easily lock the cap in place as well because of the way the childproof cap works.

You fixed something that wasn't even broken, which is to say "that's a good idea that makes perfectly obvious sense once it was pointed out to us, why have we been stupid for so long when the answer was right there."

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Mixing green skin highlights with yellow instead of white/bone is absolute wisdom. White makes them look faded and inorganic.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
This humidity is killing me. I desperately want to varnish my newest bunch of Valhallans and prime the next batch, but it's so humid my magazines are curling and my dry clothes lying around are wet. Ugh, New England stop being an rear end in a top hat.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
My awesome wife-to-be bought me a paasche talon and a compressor with moisture trap. She's the bomb.
Anyway, does anyone have a link to a good airbrush guide?
The last time I used one was when I was 14, and this is way more complex.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

IrvingWashington posted:

This is a cold start. I was really freaked out when I held a sprue in my hands again for the first time in so long, because these things look a lot smaller than I remember

Haha exactly this :D Don't worry, I've been looking at them for about a month, and they are back to the same size I remember :)

Edit: In things that are awesome: Micro Art Studio laser cut buildings - http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/battlefield-hdf-terrain-c-88.html

This is one of the floors of my 3 floor building put together. It just snaps together, so far it's assembled without glue. The laser cutting process gives the wood an interesting colour, so it doesn't look completely stupid unpainted either. I bought the extra floor set, so I'm going to make a one story and a two story building I think.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 17, 2012

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
My various magic blue colours have become chalky whenever I thin them the slightest bit. I could layer them fine before but now I look like my tiny men have been rolling in blue icing.

Any hints?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what are you thinning with?

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Manifest posted:

My awesome wife-to-be bought me a paasche talon and a compressor with moisture trap. She's the bomb.

Here's HKR's famous airbrush guide from earlier in the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&pagenumber=100#post374381003

That's where I got most of my airbrush information.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Manifest posted:

The Talon is what I went with. The adjustable stop on the back means even a ham-fisted giant like me can get the right amount of paint spraying every time, it's ben great so far.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
It has come to this.

Binoculars V.5 X2.

Second part of experimental mold. Double hardener, a little more release agent and brush on surface.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
Painting a Bloodletter while others play Diablo!
First time experiment with Tamiya Clear Red for the blood and the base isn't done yet.
C&C appreciated.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

The Impaler posted:

Painting a Bloodletter while others play Diablo!
First time experiment with Tamiya Clear Red for the blood and the base isn't done yet.
C&C appreciated.

I like that tongue

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Hellbeard posted:

this isn't a thread for showing off delicious looking cake :colbert:

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Hermetic posted:

Here's HKR's famous airbrush guide from earlier in the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3210214&pagenumber=100#post374381003

That's where I got most of my airbrush information.

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Hellbeard posted:

Second part of experimental mold. Double hardener, a little more release agent and brush on surface.

I've never gotten that much bubbles in my resin. I wonder if it is related to the brand, or if you mix it in some way that makes it more bubbly.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

lilljonas posted:

I've never gotten that much bubbles in my resin. I wonder if it is related to the brand, or if you mix it in some way that makes it more bubbly.

It's silicone but I assume that's what you meant. I think I might have mixed too enthusiastically. I don't mind it if the surface is smooth and the shape holds. Tomorrow we should have the first test cast. So exciting. :D

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I just received my order of grass tufts from army painter and I'm less than impressed. They look fine but for the price I would have expected 5x the amount. All you get is a little strip maybe 6" long and 1.5" wide with grass.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Manifest posted:

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.

Glad I could help. Part of me really wants to try that Mr. Surfacer-based primer, but I just got a can of white duplicolor sandable primer and it is so completely :catdrugs: that I may never use another primer as long as I live.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

InternetJunky posted:

I just received my order of grass tufts from army painter and I'm less than impressed. They look fine but for the price I would have expected 5x the amount. All you get is a little strip maybe 6" long and 1.5" wide with grass.

How much did you pay for them? Mine were like 5 dollars a pack and I was pretty happy with how much you get for that, especially since you're using them as accents, maybe 1 or 2 on a base tops, not coating a whole base in them like you might with static grass or flock.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Dominion posted:

How much did you pay for them? Mine were like 5 dollars a pack and I was pretty happy with how much you get for that, especially since you're using them as accents, maybe 1 or 2 on a base tops, not coating a whole base in them like you might with static grass or flock.
I paid roughly the same, but compare it to something like this.

I envision using a lot of it so I guess I'll just get the stuff to make it myself next time.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

I paid roughly the same, but compare it to something like this.

I envision using a lot of it so I guess I'll just get the stuff to make it myself next time.

Buy it someone who sells it under the name of MiniNatur or Silflor, a.k.a. the same product before Army Painter cuts up the sheet it comes in in five pieces, put each in a new box, and double the price. Don't buy scenery items from miniature themed hobby companies, it's always worse and/or more expensive than the railroad hobby themed companies.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Miles O'Brian posted:

Mixing green skin highlights with yellow instead of white/bone is absolute wisdom. White makes them look faded and inorganic.

Try adding some ruddy fleshtone to your highlights, and purple and brown to your shadows, your orks will pop like a motherfucker and the skin will look totally natural.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Just finished a large construction project of mine: a magnetized 40k looted wagon for my ork army. This looted wagon is made mainly with the Tau Hammerhead Tank and the Ork Trukk (and random small parts from other Ork and Tau kits are added) and over 40 magnets!

I had the following goals for this project:

1. All upgrades must be modeled
2. The tank must support any game legal combination of upgrades
3. All 3 doors of the Hammerhead must be fully articulated.
4. All turrets must rotate freely, and the boomgun must be able to change elevation.
5. The magnets must stable enough that the tank can be held upside down without them falling off or moving*

* The tank commander sits in his turret via gravity, and so is exempt. The "Repairin' Drone" (counts as Grot Riggers) is a stand alone, decorative model and is also exempt!

Here's the upgrade "tree". Click here to see it larger and with labels.

Base chassis with just the Hammerhead engines

When a wagon does not use the 'ard Case upgrade, we have a driver we can stick in the front.

With 'ard Case, the driver is replaced with the top of the tank. I had to do considerable cutting to get the top of the tank separated from the chassis. Some plasticard skirts were added to hide the cut lines in the model.

Also note the engine covers on the back with the fins. These will be painted red and count as Red Paint Job.

The bottom turret is the "main" turret when you don't have a boomgun. The turret itself comes out of its bay and supports four different options:
Sensory Bits (not an upgrade, used when you don't attach a weapon to this turret)
Big Shoota
Rokkit Launcha
Burna

The two side drone turrets support big shootas and rokkit launchas

Both sides of the wagon have a pair of magnets that support some of the stranger upgrades available to the looted wagon.

The armor plates updgrade flank the driver position. They have additional magnets on their outsides to allow other upgrades in conjunction with the armor plates. Here you can see the wreckin' ball from the Ork Truck and the plasticard Reinforced Ram.

More armor plates attached to the sides of the wagon. I scratch built a grabbin' claw from plasticard. You can also see the stickbomm chukka on the right.

This is the stickbomm chukka, built using stickbomms from ork boy sprues and a killa kan burna. I made several concepts of a stickbomm chukka and eventually settled on this grenade launcha design.

*clicky for big*
I love Tau drones! I'm using them with the "decorative model" precedent used in the ork codex to represent certain upgrades. For the looted wagon, the Reparin' Drone counts as Grot Riggers. When put with a Mek, it counts as a Grot Oiler.

For the side doors, I chopped up some elbow joint LEGOs. Turns out they plastic glue really well to warhammer models! (You can also see where I spilled the poo poo out of my super glue on the Tau door) The rear door has a plastic axel straight from the kit, so I can open and shut it with a pair of magnets. Forgot to take a pic of it.

The boomgun has 4 magnets inside it that form an "axel" that allow it to tilt up and down. The magnets are strong enough that the turret will stay in its tilted position on its own. The tank commander just kinda sits in the turret. I stuck his arm in such a position to look like he just popped out of the turret and is shielding his eyes against the sun.

And for the big test:

Success! Pretty happy with how it turned out. Maybe I'll have it painted some time before I die.

Click here for the photo album!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That there is pretty goddamn rad, is what that is.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Excellent work. Well thought-out Orkyness without going overboard and making it look like crap, like many other looted wagons (see dakkadakka).

Turtle Dad 420
Jul 16, 2011

Turtle Time Erryday

Nebalebadingdong posted:

:black101: looted wagon :black101:

excellent work, cant wait to see you paint it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That is amazing, great stuff.

I have a paint choice question: how would people suggest to shade (or highlight) Dheneb stone? I'm finding it tricky to find a good colour to match it.

I'm reluctant to mix because I need to do quite a lot and I only have one pot left due to it not being available anymore, and I find mixing to be inherently very wasteful.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Holy balls that looted Tau ship is loving epic. I burned out just trying to convert a straight-up wagon, seeing all those mods and options is just staggering. Amazing work.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ineptmule posted:

That is amazing, great stuff.

I have a paint choice question: how would people suggest to shade (or highlight) Dheneb stone? I'm finding it tricky to find a good colour to match it.

I'm reluctant to mix because I need to do quite a lot and I only have one pot left due to it not being available anymore, and I find mixing to be inherently very wasteful.

I think of Dheneb as a foundation Bleached Bone without all the yellow tone. So depending on what I am using it for, I tend to shade it with browns (Devlan mud or sepia if washing, bestial brown or snakebite leather if painting), and highlight with an off white like Reaper Linen White or sometimes bleached bone.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
The loot-a-fish is totally cool. I'm really digging it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Just finished a large construction project of mine: a magnetized 40k looted wagon for my ork army.

That is a nice wagon. I love the commitment to modelling everything; the effort involved has paid off. Now all you have to do is paint it :suicide:

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

PaintVagrant posted:

Wow

Incredible. The lighting and the blood, having both look good is a job well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I'm pretty curious as to how much you got from the commission of that. I could see people pay a couple hundred for a paint job like that.

• Locked thread