Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I need this made bigger.

For anyone going to see Godspeed You! Black Emperor in San Francisco

How much bigger?

I saw Godspeed in Amsterdam and it might be my favourite show ever :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Ohms posted:

That'd be awesome man! Like I said, we play at 9:30.

Dont think I'll make it tonight :(

But I didnt know you guys were based in Brooklyn, so Ill for sure try and make it next time.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I snapped a photo of this by the projectors

I also was given this:

ekuNNN posted:

How much bigger?

I saw Godspeed in Amsterdam and it might be my favourite show ever :allears:

I'll get back to you as soon as I figure out what to do with it.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I also sell it here if you've got cash to burn :ssh: but if you want it for something else or can't really justify spending the money on a print there I can just give you the file anyway cause I don't make much profit on prints there anyway and I rather someone enjoy the picture :sun:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

ekuNNN posted:

I also sell it here if you've got cash to burn :ssh: but if you want it for something else or can't really justify spending the money on a print there I can just give you the file anyway cause I don't make much profit on prints there anyway and I rather someone enjoy the picture :sun:

You're such a bro, sir.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I feel the need to inform people that I just had whiskey with David Bryant of Godspeed. He's te nicest guy.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
There is a fairly clean recording of the Tuesday show up at http://archive.org/details/gybe2012-04-17

ianfx
May 17, 2003

Godspeed at Coachella while trying mdma for the first time was the most amazing life changing musical experience.

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I also was given this:

Is this the Anatomy of Melancholy film that they burn in the Dead Metheny projection?

:allears:

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Silver Mt. Zion were selling this vinyl EP on their recent tour. I bought one but couldn't play it. Luckily it was uploaded on youtube: http://youtu.be/onopkV2h2wY

Beautiful punk drone music.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

BillWh0re posted:

Is this the Anatomy of Melancholy film that they burn in the Dead Metheny projection?

:allears:

Yes it is, but it doesn't have the frames that just said "Anatomy of Melancholy" on them, those were another loop.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Sigur Rós has just put up the pre-order page for Valtari and I am legitimately disappointed that there's no blu-ray option. Ekki múkk sounds glorious in 320kbps though so I guess it's not all bad

e: also why would anyone want a $200 blanket :iiam:

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 1, 2012

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

david puddy posted:

Sigur Rós has just put up the pre-order page for Valtari and I am legitimately disappointed that there's no blu-ray option. Ekki múkk sounds glorious in 320kbps though so I guess it's not all bad

e: also why would anyone want a $200 blanket :iiam:

Yeah I don't understand that, haha. Also, shouldn't there be a "vinyl+download" option? Why should I bother with the CD if I can get a high quality download and a vinyl? The art print looks really nice though, might have to snag that. Fully expecting this album to be life affirming and glorious in every way.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

nomapple posted:

Yeah I don't understand that, haha. Also, shouldn't there be a "vinyl+download" option? Why should I bother with the CD if I can get a high quality download and a vinyl? The art print looks really nice though, might have to snag that. Fully expecting this album to be life affirming and glorious in every way.

Yeah I thought that was a bit weird too, but I don't buy much on vinyl so I'm not terrible bothered, I ordered the CD + shirt + print. I downloaded the album when it leaked and I have to say I prefer it to anything else they've put out

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 1, 2012

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

david puddy posted:

Yeah I thought that was a bit weird too, but I don't buy much on vinyl so I'm not terrible bothered, I ordered the CD + shirt + print. I downloaded the album when it leaked and I have to say I prefer it to anything else they've put out

Opinion seems really mixed about it from people who have had the leak, but as it's such low quality I'm going to wait before I make a decision. I've heard Takk..., the debut album and ( ) and I love all of those, so I have faith that this will be great.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Clearly at least three hundred people want that blanket, it's sold out. And I got tickets to see them! This is going to be the best year.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

nomapple posted:

I think that in the Americas the vinyl is packaged with a download code while everywhere else it's packaged with a CD version of the album. It's something that the labels choose to do rather than the people who run the Sigur Rós website.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
I think Valtari is the worst thing they've ever released, and Sigur Rós are probably my favourite band. Með Suð... was like a Jónsi solo album in parts and now Alex Somers is producing we get a Riceboy Sleeps album. I like their older ambient/minimal music, like Straumnes or Álafoss, but this is just the most clichéd post-rock I can imagine.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I thought Valtari was the most ambient thing they've done in a while :confused:

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lord of Sword posted:

I think Valtari is the worst thing they've ever released, and Sigur Rós are probably my favourite band. Með Suð... was like a Jónsi solo album in parts and now Alex Somers is producing we get a Riceboy Sleeps album. I like their older ambient/minimal music, like Straumnes or Álafoss, but this is just the most clichéd post-rock I can imagine.

Harsh words for an album that isn't out yet.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I thought Valtari was the most ambient thing they've done in a while :confused:

It is, but what I mean is they've done 'ambient' before, and done it better than anything on Valtari. Glósóli actually sounds really similar with the type of synths and build-up, except it's not drowned in reverb, doesn't drag on 5 minutes longer than it needs to and actually has guitars and drums.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I just found Hope of the States, which isn't quite post-rock, it's like post-post-rock, incorporating a lot of indie rock and great vocals (which remind me a lot of Billy Corgan) on all but one of the tracks from The Lost Riots. (picture is a link)

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 6, 2012

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

siig posted:

There is a fairly clean recording of the Tuesday show up at http://archive.org/details/gybe2012-04-17

This almost makes up for the fact that I had to work that night. Thanks for the heads up.

massey ferguson
Mar 11, 2012

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I just found Hope of the States, which isn't quite post-rock, it's like post-post-rock, incorporating a lot of indie rock and great vocals (which remind me a lot of Billy Corgan) on all but one of the tracks from The Lost Riots.

I was pretty big into Hope of the States when they were about and if you're looking for more post rock sounding tracks by them I would advise seeking out their non album tracks, they're a lot better than what made their albums in most cases. I always thought of them as a great "what could have been" band as they were always at their best when exploring a heavier, post-rockish sound than the more middle of the road indie that i felt made up the bulk of their albums.
Shame they're not still together as I do feel they still had a lot left in them.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

massey ferguson posted:

I was pretty big into Hope of the States when they were about and if you're looking for more post rock sounding tracks by them I would advise seeking out their non album tracks, they're a lot better than what made their albums in most cases. I always thought of them as a great "what could have been" band as they were always at their best when exploring a heavier, post-rockish sound than the more middle of the road indie that i felt made up the bulk of their albums.
Shame they're not still together as I do feel they still had a lot left in them.

While I do agree with you, Sing It Out was really catchy and a pretty good middle of the road indie single.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just found out Godspeed is playing in New Orleans in October at Tipitina's.

I'll admit, I wasn't overly excited when I first heard that they were touring again. But after all the good press this tour has been getting and the fact that this is probably a once in a lifetime thing, consider my ticket already bought.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Just found out Godspeed is playing in New Orleans in October at Tipitina's.

I'll admit, I wasn't overly excited when I first heard that they were touring again. But after all the good press this tour has been getting and the fact that this is probably a once in a lifetime thing, consider my ticket already bought.
I just snagged two tickets for GYBE's Birmingham show at Bottletree later this year.

I have no idea if they put on a good show, or how well epic-sounding post-rock is going to work in a tiny club, but I'm really looking forward to it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

WhiteHowler posted:

I have no idea if they put on a good show

:stare:

I think you're going to be extremely pleasantly surprised, to put it mildly.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

I just snagged two tickets for GYBE's Birmingham show at Bottletree later this year.

I have no idea if they put on a good show, or how well epic-sounding post-rock is going to work in a tiny club, but I'm really looking forward to it.

They're going to turn your skull inside out. It's gonna be loud and epic, all right.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Honestly, I don't really follow the post-rock scene (I'm mostly an indie-pop nerd) and only know the band through their albums. I eagerly await having my skull turned inside out, though.

Bottletree is a great venue. It's a very tiny club that somehow attracts insanely good acts. One of the co-owners is the drummer for Man or Astro-Man, so I guess he probably has some connections.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

The Pirate Ship Quintet's new album is called "Rope For No-Hopers". Preorders started two days ago. You can get it from Denovali Records for thirteen euros for a CD copy, 19.50EUR for vinyl. They've also reprinted the Quintet's self-titled debut EP. You can stream some stuff from the new album here.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
I know some people thought Tunnel Blanket was boring but I listened to it again lately, and the first track is absolutely terrifying.

:siren:IN OTHER NEWS!!!!!:siren:

http://twitter.com/CASPIAN_/status/201419586824966145

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nuclear Spoon posted:

:siren:IN OTHER NEWS!!!!!:siren:

http://twitter.com/CASPIAN_/status/201419586824966145

:D

I saw this on their Facebook the other day. I think they're planning to release it at the end of Summer or early Fall. They posted a couple short videos on Facebook too of what their studio sessions sounded like, and they all sounded pretty dope. I mean, they weren't enough to give a good indication of the album as a whole or anything, but it's Caspian. It's bound to be good.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
I have to say, whilst I think giving up Facebook and Twitter (at least temporarily) has been overall better for me, I sure as hell miss following bands and poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I know some people thought Tunnel Blanket was boring but I listened to it again lately, and the first track is absolutely terrifying.

Those people are insane. That's one of the few post-rock albums of the past few years I've actually really gotten into (aside from the louder/metal-y stuff like Russian Circles).

I have however been on a massive God Is An Astronaut kick for some reason (besides the obvious one that "they're good"). Been wearing the hell out of All Is Violent, All Is Bright. Also for some reason listening to the latest Hrsta album a lot too.

I guess I kind of ignored a lot of post-rock for many years because I had gotten so burnt out on it.

edit: Oh, and The Ascent Of Everest's album. Didn't give it much chance when it came out, but lately really big on it.

precision fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 17, 2012

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

precision posted:

edit: Oh, and The Ascent Of Everest's album. Didn't give it much chance when it came out, but lately really big on it.

Good call, that. I picked it up on vinyl on the cheap. drat fine album. I'll also second the Tunnel Blanket love, it's pretty much not at all what I was expecting from TWDY but it might be my favorite album of theirs now I've grown acclimated to it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Lord of Sword posted:

It is, but what I mean is they've done 'ambient' before, and done it better than anything on Valtari. Glósóli actually sounds really similar with the type of synths and build-up, except it's not drowned in reverb, doesn't drag on 5 minutes longer than it needs to and actually has guitars and drums.

I only caught the live stream, but I loved it. I knew someone would be out there hating it, but I still don't even get why. I loved the use of choir on this album particularly. I felt like this album really got close to the realm of actual orchestral music, in a really beautiful way. I thought it had a really beautiful album sound. I guess not everything is for everyone.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SpruceZeus posted:

I'll also second the Tunnel Blanket love, it's pretty much not at all what I was expecting from TWDY but it might be my favorite album of theirs now I've grown acclimated to it.

What they did with that record reminded me a lot of how Tarentel went from being good but completely by-the-numbers post-rock on their first two records, but then dropped We Move Through Weather and completely confused/impressed everyone. They went from a decent Mogwai-alike to a sound that owed more to Big Black and early Einsturzende Neubauten than anything else. Album is loving bleak and industrial and weird and easily one of the top post-rock (if it even falls into that category, honestly) releases of the 2000s.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010
Oh yeah, one of my friends who isn't huge into post-rock is really digging on TWDY's self titled, which makes me super happy.

So *shels are touring the UK:

Though I do come from Guildford, I'll probably see them in Brighton instead because gently caress Guildford.

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I just ~*happen*~ to be in England on holiday when they're touring, got my ticket for the London show a few weeks ago :woop:

also just pre-ordered Sea of the Dying Dhow on vinyl, it has a metallic foil sleeve and is on pink vinyl w/ swirl, very keen for that to arrive