Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

limp_cheese posted:

The game gives you this false sense that everything has to been done right after another for the main story. The area is also set up poorly enough that it feels like there isn't any thing other than the main story.

I just started chapter 2 and I had to laugh that after arriving, fighting off an army of cursed wraiths; attending a war council; witnessing a poisoning; and being instructed on all the intensely crazy poo poo I have to accomplish IMMEDIATELY.... my Geralt was free to take it all on-board, then go run around the village looking for people to play Dice Poker with :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
gently caress Dark mode. Even with a cost-reduction cheat mod I still had to scrape every piece of leather in all of Chapter 2 to craft this thing and some of the steel swords I get from quests are already out-pacing it. I'm about halfway through the main quest in Vergen but there's no way I'll get enough parts together to make whatever Chapter 3's version is unless I mod the Mysterious Merchant.

Between this and the desaturation during combat, I'm playing on Hard next time.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
There is a mod in the OP that removes the desaturation effect from the Dark mode swords.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I found the dark mode swords to be pretty worthless, especailly without the life stealer bonus. The armor pieces are nice, but I found that on Dark armor doesn't really matter a ton when you're one or two shotted regardless. The next time I play on that difficulty I'll probably ignore the extra armors entirely. The costs to make them are obscene for how little of an advantage they give.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Perfect Potato posted:

I found the dark mode swords to be pretty worthless, especailly without the life stealer bonus. The armor pieces are nice, but I found that on Dark armor doesn't really matter a ton when you're one or two shotted regardless. The next time I play on that difficulty I'll probably ignore the extra armors entirely. The costs to make them are obscene for how little of an advantage they give.

This is what I do, now, but for really superficial reasons.

I don't like how the Dark mode armors look. There's such awesome color to be had from the other armors in the game, black and white armor is just boring.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Beat witcher 2 finally.. Wasn't there going to be a section of the game that takes place in a snowy place? It was shown in a preview a long time ago. Maybe they cut it.

Anyway, great game and very good production values all around. I was kind of expecting the game to be longer than 3 chapters though... And I wish more was told about the past and flashbacks. They barely touched on it.

I'll probably go through roche's path soon. He seems like a pretty awesome dude...

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

GoldenNugget posted:

Beat witcher 2 finally.. Wasn't there going to be a section of the game that takes place in a snowy place? It was shown in a preview a long time ago. Maybe they cut it.

Anyway, great game and very good production values all around. I was kind of expecting the game to be longer than 3 chapters though... And I wish more was told about the past and flashbacks. They barely touched on it.

I'll probably go through roche's path soon. He seems like a pretty awesome dude...

Loc Muinne has some snow patches on the mountains outside. For a full ice themed area, there's only (Witcher 1 Spoiler)the vision of the Ice Plains, basically post apocalyptic Vizima that has been Day After Tomorrowed.

Speaking of Loc Muinne, what is with the glowing, thorny vines that show up all over the place if you don't pick the path specific penultimate mission? Are those ever explained?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Asehujiko posted:

Loc Muinne has some snow patches on the mountains outside. For a full ice themed area, there's only (Witcher 1 Spoiler)the vision of the Ice Plains, basically post apocalyptic Vizima that has been Day After Tomorrowed.

Speaking of Loc Muinne, what is with the glowing, thorny vines that show up all over the place if you don't pick the path specific penultimate mission? Are those ever explained?

I remember the preview showing Geralt walking around this gigantic military camp in a snowy area. They also had qtes with regular dudes so it could've been cut.

yeah it's this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JciyoGmnGyo&feature=player_detailpage#t=68s

I think those vines are from that sorcerer and his group cleaning up and locking down Loc Muinne for another time. I do remember seeing some sort of Golem or Draug behind one of those vine walls which I don't know much about.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

GoldenNugget posted:

I remember the preview showing Geralt walking around this gigantic military camp in a snowy area. They also had qtes with regular dudes so it could've been cut.

yeah it's this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JciyoGmnGyo&feature=player_detailpage#t=68s
Looks like an early version of the Kaedweni camp outside Vergen.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

That's a REALLY old video of an alpha version. It even had the old Witcher 1 style combat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So the Dark Mode-exclusive items are apparently rear end. What about the Dark Mode quests? Anything interesting to be had?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Oxxidation posted:

So the Dark Mode-exclusive items are apparently rear end. What about the Dark Mode quests? Anything interesting to be had?

The Dark mode quests are to make the Dark mode sets. Nothing extra (except more awesome Dandelion journal entries).

EDIT: Trolls are awesome and there should have been a third Act 2 where Geralt says gently caress this and hangs out and gets drunk with a bunch of trolls

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 18, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Then given the nonsense I'm dealing with just on Normal, think I might give Dark Mode a pass.

Facing down the Big Choice at the end of Act 1. I am in an agony of indecision. On one hand, idealism and overthrowing the system and all that jazz, but on the other, I can watch Loredo die! I just don't knoooooow

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

EDIT: Trolls are awesome and there should have been a third Act 2 where Geralt says gently caress this and hangs out and gets drunk with a bunch of trolls

Agreed and anyone who killed any of the trolls is a terrible person.

Oxxidation posted:

Facing down the Big Choice at the end of Act 1. I am in an agony of indecision. On one hand, idealism and overthrowing the system and all that jazz, but on the other, I can watch Loredo die! I just don't knoooooow

Well actually you can kill Loredo on Iorveths path as well.

Oxxidation posted:

Actually the Darkmode gear (at least the armor) is the best in the game, the problem is with the way darkmode works this really doesnt help you that much.
So yeah feel free to skip it if you dont want to deal with the difficulty.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

SpRahl posted:

Agreed and anyone who killed any of the trolls is a terrible person.

Out of my two playthroughs I tried to be as different as possible, but there were two things I couldn't do in either. One was I couldn't bring myself to kill Letho and the other is I couldn't bring myself to kill any of the trolls. The trolls are awesome. :colbert:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I will get the insane difficulty steam achievement before the trollslayer one.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Just finished TW1 EE and a couple of the premium modules too, enjoyed it a ton, gameplay and all. Was about to get TW2 but after watching some YouTubes I've got a few fairly critical questions:

1) Is there a mod to replace Endregas/Arachas with other monsters, at least in appearance?

2) Failing that, is there a mod to mess with the camera so you get a very zoomed-out angle (a bit like F1 in the original game)?

3) Failing that, how many Endregas/Arachas does the game basically throw in your path, and how many are in optional areas you can skip?

They don't quite trigger my phobias (i.e. reflexively Alt+F4), but from the YouTubes I can say that I would very much not enjoy playing this game whenever one of those is on-screen.

Oh, and also: I played the original game without rebalance mods, because I figured 'hey, it's my first playthrough'. Ended up regretting it when towards the end of the game I was a demigod and realised just how many completely useless items talents were in the game. In light of that, if I can somehow address the above issue, I'm almost certainly going to play TW2 with a rebalance mod or two, just to be safe. The question is: is it universally agreed that Better Combat + Complete Equipment Overhaul make for a more solid and balanced game than vanilla?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

NihilCredo posted:

Just finished TW1 EE and a couple of the premium modules too, enjoyed it a ton, gameplay and all. Was about to get TW2 but after watching some YouTubes I've got a few fairly critical questions:

1) Is there a mod to replace Endregas/Arachas with other monsters, at least in appearance?

2) Failing that, is there a mod to mess with the camera so you get a very zoomed-out angle (a bit like F1 in the original game)?

3) Failing that, how many Endregas/Arachas does the game basically throw in your path, and how many are in optional areas you can skip?

They don't quite trigger my phobias (i.e. reflexively Alt+F4), but from the YouTubes I can say that I would very much not enjoy playing this game whenever one of those is on-screen.

Oh, and also: I played the original game without rebalance mods, because I figured 'hey, it's my first playthrough'. Ended up regretting it when towards the end of the game I was a demigod and realised just how many completely useless items talents were in the game. In light of that, if I can somehow address the above issue, I'm almost certainly going to play TW2 with a rebalance mod or two, just to be safe. The question is: is it universally agreed that Better Combat + Complete Equipment Overhaul make for a more solid and balanced game than vanilla?

1.) Not that I know of.

2.) No, but in combat the camera does pull back smoothly to give you a better view.

3.) In Act 1, you'll encounter the most endregas. There's a sidequest involving hunting them that can be safely skipped without losing out on any other quests or story later on, but doing the quest substantially thins them out of the forest for the rest of the act. Without doing the quest, you'll encounter them in small packs, at most four or five, and they'll often come at you one at a time or very slowly. There's two mandatory Arachas fights, one in act 1, one in Act 2 or 3 depending on who you follow.

Outside of Act 1, endregas are super rare, and arachas are strictly "boss"-like encounters.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Thank you for the answer. What about the rebalance mods? I'm thinking of playing on Hard, if it's relevant.

Another couple of questions since I didn't find either answer in the wiki: can you change difficulty back and forth in midgame, and are there any cheat codes available? I'm thinking of just blazing through the endregas with blind Igni spamming, kinda like lategame TW1.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You can't change the difficulty, but for me endregas really aren't quite spiderlike at all. You can't skip fighting the Arachas tough.

Groen
Oct 7, 2008
You can change between easy, medium and hard.
Dark or insane can't be changed to/from for obvious reasons.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Oh yeah, sorry about that. Been playing on dark, it's been a while since my normal run.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
90% of the endrega population is found in the forest outside Flotsam(act 1). There is a quest to kill their Queens that will significantly reduce their numbers but is a. very hard early on b. you need to kill endregas for the best sword in act 1.

There's also a few of them in each act after that in an out of the way location but those are mainly there so you can obtain their ingredients.

Arachas are hilariously gimped varieties of Endrega Queens and if you are made uncomfortable by their design, take heart in the fact that they all can be killed in 10 seconds. There's one mandatory one in each act and two optional ones in act 3 to get the best sword in the game.

If you want to really minimize the time fighting them, tactics below in spoilers:
Endrega Worker:
Heavy Attack their face. They can't block, their melee attack is slow as poo poo and HA staggers them out of it.
Endrega Warrior:
Still very vulnerable to heavy attack but deal a bit more damage if you are absolutely terrible at the game and let them get the first hit in. At a distance, they may do a knockdown charge, which is signalled by them sticking their butt in the air and making a squawking noise. Roll sideways to avoid, them stab them in the rear end for an easy kill.
Endrega Queen:
A newbie's folly is often to do the contracts first. Don't. Nekker swarms are the deadliest non-human enemies you can face this act and the Queens are a close second. As for their tactics, they follow the blocker/charger pattern most large enemies have. They are vulnerable to heavy attacks for a while, after which they fold their claws infront of their face and gain 125 armor in addition to staggering you with recoil. Don't attack them after they do that because that marks their own attacks, which is either a frontal lunge or a charge. In both cases, dodge sideways. After a lunge you can go back to smashing their face and if they charge, you can use a light attack with the built in jump/dash to get behind them while they try to unstuck their heads from the arena wall and backstab to your heart's content.
Arachas:
Like an Endrega Queen but with less HP and less damaging attacks. Heavy attack until they block, then get out of the way and resume heavy attacks. By act 3, you probably do enough damage to kill them before their first block/attack cycle.

Igni is not really spammable, you a limited to 2-8 shots depending on equipment and talents and after you run out, your sword damage is badly nerfed from "fatigue". I recommend Alchemy for maximum burnination because it has buffs for traps, oils and bombs, which are both fun to use and very effective.

Against creepy crawlies there is the Insectoid Oil, purchasable in act 1 that when buffed with Alchemy skills, gives you a 35% damage bonus before resistances against everything with more then 4 limbs.

Dancing Star bombs, which you can carry a near infinite amount of, are easy to mass produce from common ingredients and set everything on fire, including the scenery, which sets enemies that walk near it on fire as well. Being on fire stuns most enemies as they try to put themselves out in addition to being the most damaging debuff available.

Last but not least there is the reason why endregas are in acts 2 and 3 for ingredient farming because the mighty Conflagration anti tank minetrap requires specific monster drops and not just some flowers but after that, you have something that can oneshot most lesser enemies and also triggers other traps in it's blast radius(which is huge) so a row of them in a narrow corridor with only the foremost one armed will result in a horde of enemies charging at you, the first guy triggering the active trap and the chain reaction basting him and everybody behind him with multiple overlapping 100 damage explosions that also set them on fire. Caveat Emptor: This thing gives no fucks about friendly fire so don't set one down when there's an enemy right next to you.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
Yrden makes the Endrega Queens piss easy. Once they trip it, go in and hit them with heavy attacks. Be aware that Yrden won't always ensnare them. If they stop moving, but keep turning to face you they aren't ensnared or if they obviously keep on walking. You'll get probably 4 or 5 attacks before they'll block and counter attack. Also, they have a limited area they can move in. If you get far enough away, they will get stuck on the edge of their leashed area. If you want to be cheap, you can lure them to that point then hit them from afar with signs or bombs while they can't touch you.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Yrden makes the Endrega Queens piss easy. Once they trip it, go in and hit them with heavy attacks. Be aware that Yrden won't always ensnare them. If they stop moving, but keep turning to face you they aren't ensnared or if they obviously keep on walking. You'll get probably 4 or 5 attacks before they'll block and counter attack. Also, they have a limited area they can move in. If you get far enough away, they will get stuck on the edge of their leashed area. If you want to be cheap, you can lure them to that point then hit them from afar with signs or bombs while they can't touch you.

Yrden is really boss overall for dealing with tougher bad guys like the guys with shields or the bigger stronger monsters.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Oh hey, new patch: http://en.thewitcher.com/patch3-1/

quote:

1.Fixed the display of inter-chapter movies in aspect ratios other than 16:9.
2.Fixed bugs causing the application to close while opening the credits.
3.Relevant Aspect Ratio options are shown in the Configurator.exe if nVidia Surround is supported.
4.Game saves from Act 2 created on older versions of the game are now compatible with the Enhanced Edition, which fixes the dwarven mechanism in Vergen.
5.Added a fix for .NET Framework 4-related issues for the Steam users.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Torsade de Pointes posted:

Pick up 10 snare traps. Drop all in the exact same spot, no need to move at all, traps can occupy the same space in Witcherland. Mark with Yrden, kill egg sack, draw queen over your glowing traps, queen dies instantly. Collect your 10 snare traps, strut out to the Bee Gees.

Maelin
Aug 12, 2007

OAquinas posted:

Oh hey, new patch: http://en.thewitcher.com/patch3-1/

This talk of videos not playing properly on 16:10 displays (like mine) makes me worry I might have missed some during my current playthrough (I didn't finish Act 2 last time, and have been holding off giving the game another go until EE). I'm currently halfway through Act 1. Will I have missed any of the videos?

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Maelin posted:

This talk of videos not playing properly on 16:10 displays (like mine) makes me worry I might have missed some during my current playthrough (I didn't finish Act 2 last time, and have been holding off giving the game another go until EE). I'm currently halfway through Act 1. Will I have missed any of the videos?

At the end of the prologue you should have gotten a video narrated by Dandelion basically showing your journey from Lavelet Castle to Flotsom.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Maelin posted:

There is one video transitioning from the prologue to Act 1. You probably saw a black screen and heard Dandelion give a voiceover. The bug/error was that the sound would play (the voiceover) but you wouldn't see the animation unless you were in 16:9.

There was also a new opening cinematic for the game (the letho/demawend encounter), but I don't think that was similarly affected.
e:fb like a flotsam elf.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I think they mean the new videos narrated by Dandelion after the end of each act.

Edit: beaten. Yeah that video also didn't show for me under 16:10.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Well I've now gotten 49 out of 50 achievements on the 360 version and the only thing I have left is Dark mode. I just don't know if I can bring myself to go through the game a third time, although I know that last missing achievement is going to be bothering me if I don't do it.

If I did go for Dark mode, what does anyone think the easier path would be to take? I thought overall Roche's path was slightly easier, although I did notice I reached the level cap much more quickly in Iorveth's path (Roche I didn't hit 35 until literally right before the final boss, having done every side quest).

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

qbert posted:

Well I've now gotten 49 out of 50 achievements on the 360 version and the only thing I have left is Dark mode. I just don't know if I can bring myself to go through the game a third time, although I know that last missing achievement is going to be bothering me if I don't do it.

I have the GOG version, so haven't really looked at any achievements, but is there nothing for Insane difficulty? That's a little bit surprising, although Insane really is that, I can't imagine trying to play through with permadeath. Not that it'd be impossible, you'd just have to be so careful, especially early on, and not let your guard down once.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Which base difficulty does insane actually run on? Normal, Hard or Dark?

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Which base difficulty does insane actually run on? Normal, Hard or Dark?

Hard? I've read in places that Dark is the hardest actual difficulty, Insane just adds the element of permadeath. Maybe it's somewhere between Hard and Dark though.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Dark definitely felt harder than insane to me. There were times I got completely wrecked even with the dark armors.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

qbert posted:

If I did go for Dark mode, what does anyone think the easier path would be to take? I thought overall Roche's path was slightly easier, although I did notice I reached the level cap much more quickly in Iorveth's path (Roche I didn't hit 35 until literally right before the final boss, having done every side quest).

Have you done the "save Triss" story branch? If so, then I'd say you should just do the path that corresponds to whichever one of the other two you didn't do ("save Anais" for Roche, or "save Saskia" for Iorveth)

If "save Triss" is then one you haven't done, then I have no advice. :)

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

qbert posted:

It doesn't matter a lot since the hardest part of the game is path neutral. Also, go Alchemy. I've had more trouble trying to effectively use Magic on normal then I had with simply firebombing everything on dark. Alchemy also gets the neat ability to completely bypass shields then hitting harder then what they block(50% damage and 120 extra armor after that) and can trivialize Operator by killing him in a single blow before he puts on his shield.

Also, don't do the Nilfgaard mission in act 3. It has a "feature" where directly after a cutscene, you catch some unavoidable arrows to the back which more often then not instantly kills you. Go beat up everybody's least favourite sorcerer instead.

Asehujiko fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 18, 2012

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Asehujiko posted:

It doesn't matter a lot since the hardest part of the game is path neutral. Also, go Alchemy. I've had more trouble trying to effectively use Magic on normal then I had with simply firebombing everything on dark. Alchemy also gets the neat ability to completely bypass shields then hitting harder then what they block(50% damage and 120 extra armor after that) and can trivialize Operator by killing him in a single blow before he puts on his shield.

Hmm, maybe I'll give this a shot. For my other run throughs I went mostly Swordsmanship and then Alchemy for the mutagen slots, but I would say I used bombs a total of maybe 2 times throughout both playthroughs, never threw daggers once except for a side quest, and never used any traps. I should probably get into using those more instead of just hacking away at 15 dudes coming at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
in the updated little epilogue thing, That area between Temeria and... Aedirn is Mahakam, right? The Nilfgaardians seemed to conquer Temeria and Aedirn but I noticed they didn't take Mahakam, nor did they get to Upper Aedirn yet.

• Locked thread