Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

unpronounceable posted:

Why would you stick a compute card into an HTPC?

Sarcasm ;)

Looks like one hell of a card. I should really just buy a 670 or 680 instead of waiting for Big Kepler, shouldn't I? I keep putting off playing some games because I don't want to suffer through at 30FPS with my 460.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Pretty sure that was sarcasm.

--

In other news, AnandTech will have an article on Nvidia GeForce Grid later today. It's, well, cloud-based gaming, like OnLive. The idea is to run PC games at full details in a server farm and pipe I/O to any device - console, PC, Mac, tablet, etc.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Biggest human being Ever posted:

It's passively cooled too, looks like a good choice for a HTPC.
The pictures with the shroud removed also have the fan removed. You can see the conspicuous dent in the the heatsink leaves space for a fan.

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you

Factory Factory posted:

Pretty sure that was sarcasm.

--

In other news, AnandTech will have an article on Nvidia GeForce Grid later today. It's, well, cloud-based gaming, like OnLive. The idea is to run PC games at full details in a server farm and pipe I/O to any device - console, PC, Mac, tablet, etc.

This is the future, and I'm glad I'm around to see it. The ability to buy gaming performance like I'd buy web hosting is amazing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

balakadaka posted:

This is the future, and I'm glad I'm around to see it. The ability to buy gaming performance like I'd buy web hosting is amazing

I'd kinda like to not be concerned with the ping time to my GPU.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

balakadaka posted:

What's old is new. Dumb terminals.

That said, this is a no-no for anything but very slow paced gaming. I also do NOT want to see compression artifacts all over my screen.. but my internet connection is too shite to consider this anyway.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

HalloKitty posted:

That said, this is a no-no for anything but very slow paced gaming. I also do NOT want to see compression artifacts all over my screen.. but my internet connection is too shite to consider this anyway.

I'm with you on this. I can't help but wonder how much developer support they will get with it though, assuming it takes off.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

unpronounceable posted:

I'm with you on this. I can't help but wonder how much developer support they will get with it though, assuming it takes off.

I could maybe see assets being stored locally, and you'd basically get streamed a list of instructions that the GPU executes (kind of deterministic I guess?). Considering the normal bandwidth of a DVI or DisplayPort link, I don't see any other way that wouldn't involve some mad compression at work.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Well, Intel's WiDi uses the QuickSync engine to compress the frame buffer to h.264. Ivy Bridge's QuickSync is fast enough to compress 1080p30 and push it over 802.11n. The idea is there and it exists, it's just a matter of figuring it out over lower bandwidth.

balakadaka
Jun 30, 2005

robot terrorists WILL kill you

HalloKitty posted:

My post is full of hyperbole, but I mean in a 'this will be cool in 5-10 years' way. I don't want to buy Nvidia's cloud gaming service next Tuesday, as it'd be horrendous with the residential bandwidth the US has

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

BFE's mistaken. SLI require both the same GPU (e.g. GF110), the same number of active SMs/SMXs (i.e. CUDA cores) and ROPs, the same memory bus bitwidth, and the same amount of memory.

Examples:
[list]

That's incredibly useful, thanks. One thing, what are ROPs?

edit: nevermind, got it. GTX570s seems pretty homogeous, and the cards I was looking at all match up. Last thing, would there be any problems using SLId GTX570s for a 120hz 1440p display (those korean ones)?

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 17, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Raster unit (Render OutPut unit/Raster Operations Pipeline); it's basically the final conversion stage between texture mapping/shaders and final color value for a pixel. This was more important to know when ROPs, texture units, and shaders all came in equal numbers on each GPU, which they no longer do.

AFAIK, no GPUs within one family change ROPs unless they change SM(X)/CUDA cores, too, so it's possible to get by without knowing anything about them, really.

Edit for your edit: No problems I can think of.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

balakadaka posted:

My post is full of hyperbole, but I mean in a 'this will be cool in 5-10 years' way. I don't want to buy Nvidia's cloud gaming service next Tuesday, as it'd be horrendous with the residential bandwidth the US has

Latency is unavoidable though. You can have all the bandwidth in the world but if the server's not close enough it's still going to be unacceptable.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I kind of wish this was here now. :shobon: Not to use an nvidia service, but in a way my fiancee could somehow play Diablo 3 from my computer at the same time I am, using her own computer for input over the LAN, that'd be rad as h*ck. I've got the horsepower to spare, dammit! This so would have saved me several hundred dollars in building her a D3 capable machine.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

HalloKitty posted:

OnLive is already here and it works fine in my experience (obviously the latency is dependant on geographical location).

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Did the Asus GTX 670 DCUII never come out?
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-GTX-670-DC2T-2GD5-GTX670-DC2T-2GD5/dp/B0081IFO3G

I waited on this thing forever and now I see EVGA has a 399 card that's not out of stock yet.
I just wanted the nice cooler...

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Just a quick warning for anyone in the UK looking to get a 6xx Nvidia card: be very careful if you're relying on companies to make good on orders at the moment. So far I've had both Ebuyer and Scan take orders for GTX690s that they claimed were in stock, only to go, "Whoops! Guess we didn't have them after all," just before the due delivery date. I've had bad experiences with Scam in particular in the past, but I hoped things had changed (they haven't). My advice is never to order from them but still use their website for comparing products since their website isn't too bad.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
What an awesome thread. I really enjoy reading about the development of GPU architecture for some reason, even though I don't understand half of the more detailed tech jargon. I think it's the same reason some people get so obsessed with having the best hardware possible, it's just that reading about advances in graphics technology (and then literally buying into it by purchasing the latest GPU) can make you feel like you're riding the cutting edge of what computers can do.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next generation of consoles so that more games can utilise cool stuff in DX11.1 (hell, even DX10/11 would be good). Stuff like tesselation can make a huge difference but is just not going to be widely implemented until the consoles catch up, it seems.

Speaking of which, is there any news out there about what the Next Big Thing in terms of DirectX is going to be? A few years back it was geometry shaders, now tesselation...

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
DX11.1 isn't going to be a huge release, mostly behind-the-scenes stuff for performance and API integration. It will include stereoscopic 3D support, though, so, hypothetically, every game will get S3D without fiddly vendor-specific implementations.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Hardcore engines like Unreal 4 is a driving factor of things like the Kepler hardware and future iterations. Just look at it.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/05/ff_unreal4/all/1?pid=2552

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

Berk Berkly posted:

Hardcore engines like Unreal 4 is a driving factor of things like the Kepler hardware and future iterations. Just look at it.

Somehow, those screenshots impress me way less than the first time I saw Half Life 2. Maybe we're getting spoiled.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wedesdo posted:

Somehow, those screenshots impress me way less than the first time I saw Half Life 2. Maybe we're getting spoiled.

Half Life 2 impressed me less itself than Quake 2 did, which impressed me less than DOOM, etc. When you're already pretty close to reality to start with, getting even closer just doesn't involve as much apparent improvement.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Plus I'm sure we'll get the same stilted and/or recycled motion capture we always do. Why can't more games use Euphoria?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Install Gentoo posted:

Half Life 2 impressed me less itself than Quake 2 did, which impressed me less than DOOM, etc. When you're already pretty close to reality to start with, getting even closer just doesn't involve as much apparent improvement.

I still think Doom looks pretty good. Maybe it sounds crazy, but it had just the right style and sprites, atmosphere, I suppose. Even though it was not true 3D, I think that helps - it was a great trick to get smooth looking graphics within the means of the hardware at the time.
Early PlayStation games (3D ones) look worse, with absolutely hosed perspective, grainy low-poly models, wonky, flickering textures and low frame rates. So while they were novel, they aged badly.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 18, 2012

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who is not jaded on graphics. To me those screenshots look awesome. Of course nothing will beat that day when I fired up Tomb Raider and Quake on my 3Dfx Voodoo

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Berk Berkly posted:

Fun article. I agree the screenshots aren't as impressive as you might hope, but it seems a vast amount of what makes the Unreal engines look great now are the effects in motion, particles, lighting etc.

The Nvidia 680 really seems like a beast though. Impressive stuff!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Jimlad posted:

Just a quick warning for anyone in the UK looking to get a 6xx Nvidia card: be very careful if you're relying on companies to make good on orders at the moment. So far I've had both Ebuyer and Scan take orders for GTX690s that they claimed were in stock, only to go, "Whoops! Guess we didn't have them after all," just before the due delivery date. I've had bad experiences with Scam in particular in the past, but I hoped things had changed (they haven't). My advice is never to order from them but still use their website for comparing products since their website isn't too bad.

I have to strongly disagree, in 5 years of dealing with them I've never had a single problem with them or a false stock issue.

Overclockers UK on the other hand, are a steaming pile of poo poo.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
^ I've had a problem with two orders from Scan but that was more to do with a lovely delivery company. DPD If I remember correctly.

Regarding the cloud-service based rendering for games. It would be awesome if that worked well enough and was affordable for home networking. I have a feeling if there's no fix for the long distance latency issue in a decade or so that's exactly what will happen.

"Desktop servers" using a later generation of i7 CPU with 100GB+ of ram and a hefty GPU or four could easily run every application on a home network. Smart TV's, tablets and even STB "consoles" could just act as terminals with a few USB ports for peripherals.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

HalloKitty posted:

I still think Doom looks pretty good. Maybe it sounds crazy, but it had just the right style and sprites, atmosphere, I suppose. Even though it was not true 3D, I think that helps - it was a great trick to get smooth looking graphics within the means of the hardware at the time.
Early PlayStation games (3D ones) look worse, with absolutely hosed perspective, grainy low-poly models, wonky, flickering textures and low frame rates. So while they were novel, they aged badly.

Graphical fidelity != aesthetic.

Those screens look fantastic, and I'm certainly looking forward to having them in games, but I don't mind having my GPU literally pushing pixels sometimes.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

ijyt posted:

Overclockers UK on the other hand, are a steaming pile of poo poo.

I don't understand how they're still in business. Doing research for my upcoming build, there's not a single component they beat out dabs/aria/scan/novatech/ebuyer/amazon on, and they're usually £10-£20 behind :psyduck:

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I just wanted to say that I managed to score an MSI 680 Twin Frozr yesterday from NewEgg (they were only up for ~15 minutes) and that it arrives today. It will be replacing my 460 and I am very excited. Hopefully this is the right thread for posting about awesome video cards.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Verizian posted:

^ I've had a problem with two orders from Scan but that was more to do with a lovely delivery company. DPD If I remember correctly.

Yeah DPD is terrible, the one downside of Scan to be honest, otherwise their customer service has been top notch for me as well as their prices, most of the time.

coffeetable posted:

I don't understand how they're still in business. Doing research for my upcoming build, there's not a single component they beat out dabs/aria/scan/novatech/ebuyer/amazon on, and they're usually £10-£20 behind :psyduck:

A large group of fanatical followers, some of the poo poo they post on their forums is downright disturbing.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Factory Factory posted:

Plus I'm sure we'll get the same stilted and/or recycled motion capture we always do. Why can't more games use Euphoria?

I'd like to see more Euphoria and PhysX stuff too, but I think the reason we're not getting it is because it can't be seen in screenshots, while stuff like a higher poly count and whatever shaders do can.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I just Googled that Euphoria animation engine. Saw a video and thought that is some amazing new tech... then saw the date it was posted, 2007

:negative:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

madsushi posted:

I just wanted to say that I managed to score an MSI 680 Twin Frozr yesterday from NewEgg (they were only up for ~15 minutes) and that it arrives today. It will be replacing my 460 and I am very excited. Hopefully this is the right thread for posting about awesome video cards.

This is totally the right thread to send your newly purchased GPU to other goons for "evaluation" if that's what you mean :ninja:

Animal posted:

I just Googled that Euphoria animation engine. Saw a video and thought that is some amazing new tech... then saw the date it was posted, 2007

:negative:

If we get more console-titles designed with things like this in mind, then finally we will get to enjoy as well :smith:

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I'd like to see more Euphoria and PhysX stuff too, but I think the reason we're not getting it is because it can't be seen in screenshots, while stuff like a higher poly count and whatever shaders do can.

There has to be more to it than that. When's the last time you bought a game without seeing a Youtube clip of it first? Maybe it's expensive to license or difficult to implement.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Berk Berkly posted:

These screen shots would probably look much better if they weren't so compressed.

I mean look at this.

Having artifacts all over the place isn't a good way to show off your graphics.

Kramjacks fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 18, 2012

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Kramjacks posted:

These screen shots would probably look much better if they weren't so compressed.

Try these: http://imgur.com/a/Ls1Zy

Now, am I crazy or does the texture on the collar of the fire dude in the third pic look kinda blurry? I hope it's just cause it's a screengrab from a video or something.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

This guy at hardforums.com compared an overclocked 670 vs an overclocked 680. Both cards are the same brand and cooler. It pretty much cements the conclusion that the 680 is a waste of $100.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1694021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Animal posted:

This guy at hardforums.com compared an overclocked 670 vs an overclocked 680. Both cards are the same brand and cooler. It pretty much cements the conclusion that the 680 is a waste of $100.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1694021

Taking a lot of willpower not to just buy one right now but gently caress scalpers.