Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

pw pw pw posted:

I do not believe for a second that he was the one who made the decision to shoehorn those settings together. Hell, he left squeenix shortly after FFXII was finished.

Um, he was the person who made that decision. The problem was that FFXII was supposed to come out BEFORE Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and then it got pushed back by like three or four years. FFT:A was supposed to be a spinoff of FFXII in which some kids who had played FFXII went into an imaginary world based on the game they had played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Speaking of The Judges, what do people think of their designs?

Like everything else in XII, I thought the villains were the best and their outfits are no exceptions.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Um, he was the person who made that decision. The problem was that FFXII was supposed to come out BEFORE Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and then it got pushed back by like three or four years. FFT:A was supposed to be a spinoff of FFXII in which some kids who had played FFXII went into an imaginary world based on the game they had played.

I'll admit that makes way more sense, but it still reeks of an executive decision, a la making vaan the main character against matsuno's wishes.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

NikkolasKing posted:

Like everything else in XII, I thought the villains were the best and their outfits are no exceptions.

The judges are really badass and I was overjoyed when Dissidia came out and Gabranth was in it. Best character.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

pw pw pw posted:

I'll admit that makes way more sense, but it still reeks of an executive decision, a la making vaan the main character against matsuno's wishes.

Eh, I don't think making the world more diverse was an executive decision. Final Fantasy Tactics even has stuff like an area description that mentions that the moogles are extinct during the time when FFT takes place. FFXII happens during the golden age of airships and not-yet-extinct moogles and poo poo. The world's supposed to be quite different from it is during FFT.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly don't get the complaining over Vaan's design when Ashe exists. I mean loving seriously.

Look at that disaster.

I think her outfit looks okay. v:shobon:v Well, aside from the bandanna she's wearing around her hips, of course.

The problem I have with that CG render there is her pose. Isn't Ashe supposed to be the "tough, independent girl" character? That image just makes her look timid.

Dr Pepper posted:

Then you see the CG renders and realize that there's barely enough cloth on her to be able to be called clothing.

Don't forget this promo poster! :suicide:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
what FFXII did with Ivalice is much much better than what FFTA did with it. Then again, I did like FFTA so maybe I'm the wrong person to ask :v:

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, the judges were really excellent designs.

Mak0rz posted:

The problem I have with that CG render there is her pose. Isn't Ashe supposed to be the "tough, independent girl" character? That image just makes her look timid.

Yeah, what I like about Ashe is that she's a mourning widow who's pretty much hell-bent on genocidal revenge for a good 80% of the game. She's a fun protagonist because she's clearly insane with grief.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Eh, I don't think making the world more diverse was an executive decision. Final Fantasy Tactics even has stuff like an area description that mentions that the moogles are extinct during the time when FFT takes place. FFXII happens during the golden age of airships and not-yet-extinct moogles and poo poo. The world's supposed to be quite different from it is during FFT.

Fair enough, I guess I can learn to hate matsuno for ruining his own awesome setting, if I really have to.

Though I definitely would have received it better if they hadn't led with the wrong foot. I liked the relative maturity of FFT compared to the other games they were putting out, and a storyline with little solipsist children did not do good things for my opinion of the company.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

pw pw pw posted:

Fair enough, I guess I can learn to hate matsuno for ruining his own awesome setting, if I really have to.

Though I definitely would have received it better if they hadn't led with the wrong foot. I liked the relative maturity of FFT compared to the other games they were putting out, and a storyline with little solipsist children did not do good things for my opinion of the company.

It's not like Ivalice is ruined (well, not by anything except for Matsuno's departure). You could still have awesome games set in different parts of its history (like Vagrant Story) that might be closer to the sort of mood that you want (except they're probably not gonna make any more Ivalice games now that he's gone unless they're more FFTA games).

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Wasn't FFTA just technically based on Ivalice? Like, are the events of FFTA... canon in the Ivaliceaverse? I always thought it was just them inhabiting a fantasy version of Ivalice (I mean, I guess Monteblanc is in FF12 and FFTA but that's pretty much it as far as references go)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Yeah, what I like about Ashe is that she's a mourning widow who's pretty much hell-bent on genocidal revenge for a good 80% of the game. She's a fun protagonist because she's clearly insane with grief.

Ashe was a fantastic main character and that "tough, independent female" was something people threw around a lot for Lightning. Before I played XIII I went in expecting something similar to Ashe.

Well they were "similar" in that they both had a lot of personal sadness to deal with. Only, whereas Ashe's issues were shown in a sympathetic and understandable way, Lightning just acted like a bitch for the longest time while also beating up the guy who was actually trying to save her sister.

Edit:
And I don't mean to keep ragging on XIII. Even if it sucks, bitching over and over again gets tiresome. I actually did like quite a few things about it. It's just that the story and Lightning weren't among those things.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 18, 2012

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

It's not like Ivalice is ruined (well, not by anything except for Matsuno's departure). You could still have awesome games set in different parts of its history (like Vagrant Story) that might be closer to the sort of mood that you want (except they're probably not gonna make any more Ivalice games now that he's gone unless they're more FFTA games).

Speaking of which, Is the plot of vagrant story worth putting up with the obtuse mechanics? I heard good things about the setting, and bad things about the gameplay. If it helps, I really don't care for weapon AP systems like ffta.

(i will try and stop hijacking the thread after this)

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 18, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Ashe was a fantastic main character and that "tough, independent female" was something people threw around a lot for Lightning. Before I played XIII I went in expecting something similar to Ashe.

Well they were "similar" in that they both had a lot of personal sadness to deal with. Only, whereas Ashe's issues were shown in a sympathetic and understandable way, Lightning just acted like a bitch for the longest time while also beating up the guy who was actually trying to save her sister.

Ashe was okay, aside from her costume, but it honestly sounds like you say she's "good" because she isn't aggressive or angry and therefore she isn't a "bitch." Which... there's problems with that.

Snow was a douchebag layabout with a hero complex. This is his stated personality. He screws up repeatedly and in general does a fairly poor job of things. Lightning is generally uninterested in his poo poo and she punches him after, as far as she is concerned, her sister died. There's nothing particularly outrageous about that poo poo, it's one of the more believable parts of an otherwise pretty dumb game.

I can understand disliking the character, but seriously, the fact that you use "bitch" really implies the problem is that a female character did it, even if you don't intend it that way. I don't know how good a character Lightning is, but as far as being a female character goes, she's pretty good at avoiding a lot of the poo poo that FF tends to get into.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 18, 2012

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

pw pw pw posted:

Speaking of which, Is the plot of vagrant story worth putting up with the obtuse mechanics? I heard good things about the setting, and bad things about the gameplay. If it helps, I really don't care for weapon AP systems like ffta.

Vagrant Story's a weird case in that it's a pretty reasonable system that happened to be very, very badly in need of some kind of actual goddamn tutorial. You shouldn't FAQ your way through the game, but I suggest doing a bit of reading up on it. And yeah, Vagrant Story's story is fantastic.

If you're interested, I suggest starting with this archived OP, to which I contributed a pretty good deal: http://chode.org/misc/vs/

The one other bit of advice I'd offer for VS, even if it seems kind of cheesy, is that there are some potions you get in the game which grant you a stat bonus which is randomly worked out from +1 to +4. If you want to make sure the game will be extra breezy, save before using them and reload if you don't get +3 or +4.

A lot of people suggest using three weapons instead of six, but I think six is the way to go because you can get marginally more suitable blade types and so on for a given monster type.

Mrs. Badcrumble fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 18, 2012

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Ashe was okay, aside from her costume, but it honestly sounds like you say she's "good" because she isn't aggressive or angry and therefore she isn't a "bitch." Which... there's problems with that.

Snow was a douchebag layabout with a hero complex. This is his stated personality. He screws up repeatedly and in general does a fairly poor job of things. Lightning is generally uninterested in his poo poo and she punches him after, as far as she is concerned, her sister died. There's nothing particularly outrageous about that poo poo, it's one of the more believable parts of an otherwise pretty dumb game.

"Acting out" I get and that's more or less what Light was doing. She had the same problem Hope had in that she walks a very thin line between likable and unlikable. She was bitchy and it depends if you can tolerate or even appreciate it until she develops. Hope whines a bunch and it depends if you can actually sympathize with him until he gets over it.

It's a very subjective thing. For instance, I kinda liked Hope so I'm in no position to say my opinion is majority-backed fact. I just didn't think Light was particularly endearing in her coldness and by the time she loosened up I had long since stopped caring about her.

As for Snow being a gently caress-up, that's a genuine character flaw and his "I'm a hero" attitude was indeed a smokescreen so he could avoid feeling the guilt for his screw-ups. It's just that he was still trying. I think it's far more respectable to try and fail than to just say "welp my sister is dead, I might as well be as frigid as possible and probably die on my suicidal mission to stop the machine gods."

quote:

I can understand disliking the character, but seriously, the fact that you use "bitch" really implies the problem is that a female character did it, even if you don't intend it that way. I don't know how good a character Lightning is, but as far as being a female character goes, she's pretty good at avoiding a lot of the poo poo that FF tends to get into.

Well I don't really like overly-aggressive characters in general when their aggression is misplaced. It's just that FF is pretty lacking in the "cold-hearted but secretly suffering" males. I see that more in females in RPGs anyway. It's called Ice Queen for a reason i guess.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 18, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

NikkolasKing posted:

I think the Judges looked neat, but there really needed to be a codex or encyclopedia or something so I could figure out how to tell them all apart.

glod posted:

The judges are really badass and I was overjoyed when Dissidia came out and Gabranth was in it. Best character.

I was happy with 012 because he has a Basch costume :v:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Ashe "kill loving everything :black101:" and Balthier "the hero :smug:" pretty much made FFXII for me. Dumb costumes be damned. From what I understand, Akihiko Yoshida is just incapable of dressing someone normally when given the slightest bit of control.

Fran, by virtue of hanging out with Balthier (and that bizarrely fascinating accent) was also okay. They were like a couple of rockstars just not giving a gently caress and having a good time.

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I don't really like overly-aggressive characters in general when their aggression is misplaced. It's just that FF is pretty lacking in the "cold-hearted but secretly suffering" males. I see that more in females in RPGs anyway. It's called Ice Queen for a reason i guess.

Well, there's Cloud, of whom Lightning was written as an in-series homage to. I think the point being there, though, was that the criticism of the character need not be gendered.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 18, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

She isn't an "Ice Queen" archetype. She'e exactly the opposite, overly-emotional and easily angered. That's the entire point of the character. She punches Snow and screams at him and in general acts on her emotions to a ridiculous degree. Maybe the dub hosed something up here but Maaya Sakamoto plays her as incredibly emotional, not as a cold heartless individual.

I also don't particularly see how it's misplaced. Snow is... well, he's an idiot. He got a lot of people killed. He fucks up on a regular basis and don't think about things at all. The only reason things worked out even slightly is that they're in a JRPG and that poo poo pays off. Frankly, I thought Lightning's writing got worse when she stopped being willing to call people on their stupid poo poo and gave in to the Power of Friendship.

Really FFXIII would have been better if you had characters willing to not just spout friendship speeches and fall into Snow's mindset because it basically renders them a bunch of interchangeable blobs by the end.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 18, 2012

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

TurnipFritter posted:

I was happy with 012 because he has a Basch costume :v:

Yeah! Especially neat since they couldn't get Gabranth's voice actor to come back for whatever reason for the US version of Dissidia, so they had Basch's do it. It works pretty well.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Fair point about her not being an Ice Queen. That's my bad.

However she didn't punch Snow because he got people killed. Hope had a legitimate gripe with Snow but Light obviously just didn't like him from the start. During the game she's frustrated with her own powerlessness when it came to helping Serah and so she takes it out on an easy target. He isn't responsible for making her a l'Cie and he didn't really do anything except try to save Serah from her fate. Like I said already, I respect his determination to save her whereas Lightning just gave up.

I do have to admit, one should never underestimate the power of a good voice-actor in making you like a character. Snow's VA was the best in the whole game and I probably like him so much at least partly because of this.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 18, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Lightning's pretty much a rebel teen, even her name makes me think this.

"I'm not Claire anymore mom, I'm Lightning!"

She also used the phrase "Worse birthday ever" in a flashback.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Fair point about her not being an Ice Queen. That's my bad.

However she didn't punch Snow because he got people killed. Hope had a legitimate gripe with Snow but Light obviously just didn't like him from the start. During the game she's just frustrated with her own powerlessness when it came to helping Serah and so she takes it out on an easy target. He isn't responsible for making her a l'Cie and he didn't really do anything except try to ave Serah from her fate. Like I said already, I respect his determination to save her whereas Lightning just gave up.

The thing to remember. (And I admit I donno how much of this came across in the US version) is that the whole "Focus" thing is identical to Death as far as anyone is concerned. It isn't like 'she trapped in crystal, oh no." It is "She is dead. That thing there is her corpse." The entire thing is basically a game about a punch of people getting a horrible incurable illness that gives them superpowers. It isn't until later on that we find out that, nope, you're able to come back from it and you don't actually die. It's also the reason Sazh was like a second away from shooting himself in the head. (And he didn't because the sequence where Sazh doesn't shoot himself in the head represents the exact point everything becomes completely incoherent in the game.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Did you play the original Japanese version?

Well this is from the only script of the game I could find online:

quote:

Vanille
Why is she turning to crystal?

Hope
L'Cie who fulfill their Focus are transformed into crystal and gain eternal life.

Sazh
Just like the stories say.

Snow
Serah... Sweet dreams.

Lightning
Sweet dreams?
She's not sleeping!
Serah's... She's-

Snow
She's alive!
The legend! Remember the legend!
L'Cie who fulfill their Focus turn to crystal and gain eternal life.
It's the same with Serah!
Eternal life! She's not dead!
Serah's my bride-to-be. I promised to be hers forever! I don't care how many years I have to wait-

So it seemed to me that nobody really knew anything about l'Cie. It was all just rumors and myths so I didn't think Serah was actually dead and I didn't think the game wanted me to think that either. It introduced a couple viewpoints for you to consider.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

They gain eternal life by existing as a crystal forever. As far as they knew, nobody would ever be freed from it. Even if they were technically alive, being stuck like that is probably worse than death, and that's why Lightning and Sazh felt that way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Did you play the original Japanese version?

Well this is from the only script of the game I could find online:

So it seemed to me that nobody really knew anything about l'Cie. It was all just rumors and myths so I didn't think Serah was actually dead and I didn't think the game wanted me to think that either. It introduced a couple viewpoints for you to consider.

Yeah, I played the Japanese version. I haven't played the US version. In the the Japanese version it's really clear that Snow is basically freaking out and going "She's not dead! She's not dead!" The stuff about Eternal Life is coached in the same kind of terms as "and then you die and ascend to heaven where you live in eternity," further cementing the "the Fal'cie are Gods" stuff. Snow's thing is that he latches onto it and starts going "W.. well, then I'll see her again! That's it!" From what I recall, Daisuke Ono basically plays it like a guy grasping for straws. I'd bet Troy Baker would too if FFXIII's English voice acting direction wasn't poo poo, because Troy Baker's quite good.

I mean, you're really clearly not supposed to think anyone's acting sensibly at that point. They're all suffering tremendous freakouts. The closest to levelheaded are Sazh and Vanille. (Sazh because he's levelheaded and Vanille because she's a dirty liar.) It takes a long time before any of them manage to get themselves together. (And sadly, they do a poo poo poor job of it because FFXIII has issues.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 19, 2012

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
Speaking as someone who's actually currently playing through FFXIII (in ch. 6), I feel the game is attempting to portray Lightning, Snow, and Hope all in a... critical light, I guess the best term is? Lightning is being portrayed as highly emotional and very, very angry - and this is at no point treated as a good thing, even by her, really. Snow is idealistic to the point of self-delusion - and again, this is not portrayed as a good thing overall. Hope is portrayed as obsessive and consumed, again not portrayed as a good thing - Lightning reacts with worry as he gets more singleminded, even if she says nothing. Sazh and Vanille thus far have the most "level" portrayals, and Vanille is obviously compensating for some other issue. Sazh seems the only adult of the cast, which guessing at the ages thus far seems right.

I can't speak for the plot (that seems a total loving mess already) but the characters I find really intriguing. Hope's my only issue, and that's because the game can't decide between obsessed Hope and teenager goofball Hope (HAY LET ME PILOT THIS MACHINE, HAR) - if they stuck with obsessed Hope (This machine will let us kill these fuckers faster, so let me start it up so we can find Snow faster and I can show him my stabs) I'd be okay with him.

EDIT: I will say that the English version, including the datalog, sorta both managed to play Snow as delusional and give the implication that something could be done about the condition (though I think it contradicts this too, depending on the perspective - if a log's from Lightning's view, Serah's "dead", while from Snow's view, "maybe something can be done"). So.

Torokasi fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 19, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

And then you get to Fang, who isn't really complicated, which is kind of nice. Her main deals are "Lets kill things until we win" and "Do not gently caress with my Vanille".

The whole narrative seemed like it wanted to show that group getting over their issues and eventually becoming almost this family, but never quite makes it seem convincing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I played the Japanese version. I haven't played the US version. In the the Japanese version it's really clear that Snow is basically freaking out and going "She's not dead! She's not dead!" The stuff about Eternal Life is coached in the same kind of terms as "and then you die and ascend to heaven where you live in eternity," further cementing the "the Fal'cie are Gods" stuff. Snow's thing is that he latches onto it and starts going "W.. well, then I'll see her again! That's it!" From what I recall, Daisuke Ono basically plays it like a guy grasping for straws. I'd bet Troy Baker would too if FFXIII's English voice acting direction wasn't poo poo, because Troy Baker's quite good.

I mean, you're really clearly not supposed to think anyone's acting sensibly at that point. They're all suffering tremendous freakouts. The closest to levelheaded are Sazh and Vanille. (Sazh because he's levelheaded and Vanille because she's a dirty liar.) It takes a long time before any of them manage to get themselves together. (And sadly, they do a poo poo poor job of it because FFXIII has issues.)

Well that all makes more sense. I never really did get the feeling Snow was just mad with grief at that point. This does make Lightning's attitude a bit more understandable.

Have you played 12 in Japanese then? What did you think of Ashe compared to lightning since you might have a more "genuine" perspective?

Mazed posted:

And then you get to Fang, who isn't really complicated, which is kind of nice. Her main deals are "Lets kill things until we win" and "Do not gently caress with my Vanille".

The whole narrative seemed like it wanted to show that group getting over their issues and eventually becoming almost this family, but never quite makes it seem convincing.

Like Torokasi I actually liked the cast in XIII quite a bit. It's just that, as you said, it never really pulls off what it's ultimately trying to do with them. I felt that most of their arcs didn't have satisfying conclusions and their development didn't go anywhere.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 19, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Have you played 12 in Japanese then? What did you think of Ashe compared to lightning since you might have a more "genuine" perspective?

I only played through part of FFXII:International so I can't really speak for the whole thing. I liked Ashe quite a bit aside from her costume but I think the translation does a really good job with her so your opinion wouldn't really change either way I think. v:shobon:v

I think they're pretty different characters. I think Lightning's the best character in FFXIII but that's faint praise because... FFXIII is loving FFXIII. Ashe is a good character but I think she suffers somewhat from the way the game is structured with there being like 3-4 potential 'main' protagonists and some shirtless kid who is around way too often and it leads to me wishing she got more time.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 19, 2012

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
The plot of FFXIII was a mess but behind all the chaos was potential for a tense story about despair- a theme that got lost in the second half of the story.

TurnipFritter posted:

I think the Judges looked neat, but there really needed to be a codex or encyclopedia or something so I could figure out how to tell them all apart.
This is one of few problems I had with FFXII's storytelling- all the judge drama was confusing to anyone that hadn't remember names and voices and armor designs.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: That's because some of the Judges barely had any scenes - Drace (the female judge - and one of the better ones), gets two, I think, and we see the others about three or four times - Gabranth excluded. I can only remeber the names of Drace, Gabranth and Zargabaath (and that's only because he was voiced by Simon Templeman, best know for his work as Kain from the Legacy of Kain series).

ImpAtom posted:

I only played through part of FFXII:International so I can't really speak for the whole thing. I liked Ashe quite a bit aside from her costume but I think the translation does a really good job with her so your opinion wouldn't really change either way I think. v:shobon:v

I think they're pretty different characters. I think Lightning's the best character in FFXIII but that's faint praise because... FFXIII is loving FFXIII. Ashe is a good character but I think she suffers somewhat from the way the game is structured with there being like 3-4 potential 'main' protagonists and some shirtless kid who is around way too often and it leads to me wishing she got more time.

I don't like Ashe's look, but her character is pretty okay ingame, at least, from what I remember and from what I've been watching from the XII LP. Most of the XII cast are extraneous though - you could get rid of Vaan, Penelo and even Fran and probably wouldn't change that much. In terms of what they do for the plot, I mean.

Part of me likes to think that there's a massive clothing shortage in Ivalice, and that all the citizens are doing their bit. Which explains why most of the men are shirtless in a desert environment, and why Ashe is dressed like she is. Of course, we all know the real shameful reason. Same for Fran.

And XIII's cast...eh...Lightning is better when she's tearing into people or just being agressive to everyone, Sazh is pretty cool, as is Fang, and they're both pretty grounded, Snow is obnoxious, Vanille is grating and Hope is...well, Hope.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 19, 2012

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

^^^
[e]: That's because some of the Judges barely had any scenes - Drace (the female judge - and one of the better ones), gets two, I think, and we see the others about three or four times - Gabranth excluded. I can only remeber the names of Drace, Gabranth and Zargabaath (and that's only because he was voiced by Simon Templeman, best know for his work as Kain from the Legacy of Kain series).

Templeman's voice is godly.

And you got 3 out of the 5 named Judges so that isn't bad. Of the other two, Ghis (the old man who gets himself killed when he sticks the Nethicite into his ship's core) is pretty forgettable. The other one however, Bergan, is very memorable because he has the most distinct helmet style for me.

He also has an awesome scene and boss fight.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

NikkolasKing posted:

Judges

That's right, Ghis is the one in red, and with the weird perm. And Bergan's the one in the frog helmet who murders the Pope. I'll remember that now, thanks. :)

Drace, I remember because of her badass scene where she draws her sword on Vayne, and her awesome lines:

code:
Spare me your lies! I see the serpent coiled here
before me!

Zargabaath: Drace, you speak too freely!

Zargabaath! Do not tell me you join in this mummer’s farce!

Vayne Solidor! As Judge Magister and upholder of the law, I hereby place
you under arrest!

Bergan: Vayne did not make himself autocrat. It was the very Ministry of
Law which you serve. Do you see it now, Drace? When you bared your sword at His
Excellency, you bared your sword at the law.

Drace: You wear the mummer’s motley well, Bergan.
Hey, ImpAtom, you said you played the international version, did you play up to this bit? I'm just curious as to what the original Japanese stuff for that scene was - like the idiom of the mummer's farce and motley, that sort of thing?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 19, 2012

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Even fans of FF13 make it sound like the shittiest story ever told. Square has completely lost the plot, their game release schedule looks like some designer fried out on LSD got to make executive decisions.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Even fans of FF13 make it sound like the shittiest story ever told. Square has completely lost the plot, their game release schedule looks like some designer fried out on LSD got to make executive decisions.

God knows what's going on the story in that game, or at least, how it's presented. It's not really that complicated, when you break it down, but it's covered in so much poo poo that a good editor would have gotten rid of (i.e the level padding, the redundant friendship speeches and things of that ilk) and leans so heavily on the player reading supplimentary materials to understand what is being discussed.

And there are the times that the writers are being cryptic for the sake of being cryptic (see also the Kingdom Hearts stuff). Or invoke a literal Deus ex Machina because they wrote themselves into a corner trying to tie all this incohesive stuff together. And they failed miserably.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Now that I think about it, aside from her design, Claire Lightning doesn't really have any similarities to compilation Cloud aside from a few instances of ~mysterious~ during the very beginning. Even then, that doesn't last very long.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Now that I think about it, aside from her design, Claire Lightning doesn't really have any similarities to compilation Cloud aside from a few instances of ~mysterious~ during the very beginning. Even then, that doesn't last very long.

I figure Lightning is Post VII Cloud in the same way Post VII Cloud is VII Cloud. A derivative of a derivative.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Momomo posted:

I figure Lightning is Post VII Cloud in the same way Post VII Cloud is VII Cloud. A derivative of a derivative.

I'm pretty sure the "female cloud" bit was only referring to her visual design rather than her character as a whole. I haven't played VII, but as I understand it there's not much character similarity between the two.

As for XIII, I just don't think I'll ever get why people loving hate the story that much. I thought the narrative was pretty cut and dry, the dialogue got hammy, and the villains were pretty forgettable (though XIII-2 has Caius, who I really like), but I really liked the party. Vanille and Hope got on my nerves once or twice and there was no way Lightning's actor was going to save the pun about 'Hope', but other than that? I thought they were all likable enough for the poo poo they were into, and I followed all their character arcs just fine. I thought the gameplay was fine too, though the way it doesn't open up at all until late makes it pretty drat hard to replay, since most of the earlier encounters with your limited party have very specific Pardigms to win and most of the challenge lays in finding them. Still, it was fast paced and interesting, and the late game and the sequel gave lots of room for experimentation with the different characters and their own versions of each Paradigm.

It's not my favorite Final Fantasy or the best made one I've played, but I thought it was average at worst, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's right, Ghis is the one in red, and with the weird perm. And Bergan's the one in the frog helmet who murders the Pope. I'll remember that now, thanks. :)

Drace, I remember because of her badass scene where she draws her sword on Vayne, and her awesome lines:

This, see, this is how Final Fantasy's usual theatrics need to be handled. So much of the dialogue in XII was cheesy and hamfisted, but that's what made it good. It was disappointing that the Judges got so little screen time, and so little opportunity to chew on the scenery like they were drat well supposed to.