Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Nowadays you'll see me standing way in the back, seething with jealousy along with the rest of the old farts.

You're part of the bar squad too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

I hope it's ok that I put this here.

My band, Ever Circling Wolves, just put out a new track, which we recorded live in studio during the drum sessions for our upcoming album. Listen to it on our soundcloud page, if death/doom/sludge rattles your fancy.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

After I turned the legal drinking age, I basically said "gently caress it" to pits.

Frank Caskelot posted:

I hope it's ok that I put this here.

My band, Ever Circling Wolves, just put out a new track, which we recorded live in studio during the drum sessions for our upcoming album. Listen to it on our soundcloud page, if death/doom/sludge rattles your fancy.

Pretty solid groove and good sound quality for being recorded live. I think it sounds pretty good!

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 17, 2012

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

Dr Tran posted:

Scored pit tickets for Lamb of God/Dethklok at the Gibson in LA. Gonna stand in the back, I'm too old for moshing.

Don't worry, knowing that crowd, it will be a bunch of fat guys walking slowly around menacingly and pushing each other.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

I'll have to be placed on life support.

Good luck with that.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Watching Converge open for Dethklok and Mastodon was awesome, Kurt Ballou walked out alone and started rocking out and playing "Plagues" and a bunch of people started saying things to each other, then the full band starts playing the floor opens up as a mosh pit starts and hundreds of young kids and their parents run away. The evacuation of the area was more hectic than if a fire alarm was pulled.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
This Agalloch box set is the most gorgeous thing, holy poo poo.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Nowadays you'll see me standing way in the back, seething with jealousy along with the rest of the old farts. One more hit like that and I'll have to be placed on life support.

I'm 35 and have been standing at the edges/back for years now :smith:

Hi-fiving all the other dads and being able to drink at the shows still owns though :unsmith:

Plus you get to hone your "the first time I saw these dudes back in '93" stories

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Zodijackylite posted:

Kurt Ballou walked out alone and started rocking out and playing "Plagues" and a bunch of people started saying things to each other, then the full band starts playing the floor opens up as a mosh pit starts and hundreds of young kids and their parents run away.

This sounds loving amazing. I hope I get to see those guys before they (or I) hang it up for good.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
By "pit tickets" do you mean standing tickets, or do they have a separate area down the front for mosh pits in the US?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

nomapple posted:

By "pit tickets" do you mean standing tickets, or do they have a separate area down the front for mosh pits in the US?

Standing area, which is generally the significant portion in front of the stage. There's usually tiered seating/standing behind that that's covered by "general admission" tickets or seated tix.

The Capitulator
Oct 31, 2008

Defleshed posted:

I'm 35 and have been standing at the edges/back for years now :smith:

Hi-fiving all the other dads and being able to drink at the shows still owns though :unsmith:

Plus you get to hone your "the first time I saw these dudes back in '93" stories

I believe ~27 is the right age to join the bar club.

So, went to see Hate Eternal in Dubai a couple of weeks ago (big ups for coming down dudes). Local opening band Perversion Perversion rocked my balls. Great to see the place full, even better given the half-full Avenged Sevenfold the following weekend. I left mid-way through Hate's set though, my ears literally hurt. Hope to see more bands like Hate make their way down.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Seated metal concerts is the strangest phenomenon ever and I don't think I've ever encountered it anywhere in Europe. Other than when Opeth came rolling around with their Damnation tour, where it actually made sense other than their opening band playing a normal metal set.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The only time I've ever seen people sitting at a metal concert was when Sonic Syndicate opened for Amon Amarth in 2007. If you're not familiar with this particular incident (and apparently it happened at multiple venues), Sonic Syndicate is an unbelievably lovely metalcore band and this was to be the tour with Decapitated, before Vitek died. Sonic Syndicate could not have been more out of place on that tour.

So when they came on stage and started doing that stupid pop-punk thing where they bounce up and down, and just generally being awful, the entire pit just collectively decided "gently caress these guys" and sat the gently caress down. Nobody moshed, nobody headbanged, and there were more middle fingers in the air than horns. People yelled "get off the stage" between songs.

They really were that bad. On the upside I met Johann Hegg and he dedicated Fate of Norns to Vitek and the pit went nuts.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
I never got into the whole idea behind moshing. I have always, even as a teenager, tried to find a place to sit, lean, or otherwise stand comfortably. I've always been a bit of a curmudgeon about that sort of thing I guess.

The only show I went to that was entirely seated was for Opeth when they toured just after Ghost Reveries came out.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

BjornOfBorg posted:

Seated metal concerts is the strangest phenomenon ever and I don't think I've ever encountered it anywhere in Europe. Other than when Opeth came rolling around with their Damnation tour, where it actually made sense other than their opening band playing a normal metal set.

These are the types of shows I love to go to where people slowly begin to lose it. I love it each and every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpvwCUmH34Q

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

That reminds me of a quote of some random crust band I saw a while ago, playing at a really small venue like that as well:

"We will play two more songs. It will sound like half a song and you'll be very unimpressed. Thank you."

Forgot which band it was, though.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Houseplant posted:

I never got into the whole idea behind moshing. I have always, even as a teenager, tried to find a place to sit, lean, or otherwise stand comfortably. I've always been a bit of a curmudgeon about that sort of thing I guess.

The only show I went to that was entirely seated was for Opeth when they toured just after Ghost Reveries came out.

I'm the same really. I am still in the flower of my youth at 23, but for years now I haven't really had the inclination to watch a concert in a space where some fat bearded shirtless gently caress will feel justified in crashing into me because he temporarily thinks he's a viking or something. I'd rather just rock out peacefully :)

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Yeah, I like to enjoy the show from a reasonably close distance, where I can drink my beer and watch the band perform, away from sweaty people trying to shove me. I guess that makes me boring!

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I don't like to do pits anymore and I am in my mid-20s, but I will still get up at the front of the stage and just headbang like a maniac rather than stand there anemically. It's just the way I prefer to experience shows.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

Standing area, which is generally the significant portion in front of the stage. There's usually tiered seating/standing behind that that's covered by "general admission" tickets or seated tix.

Oh yeah I see what you mean. I think I've done every concert I've been to standing other than Rush in 07 and Maiden in 08.

Even though I don't always go in for it, I find a metal show without a pit somehow lacking. Nothing worse than a stagnant crowd to kill the atmosphere. I like that if I lose my mind to one of my favourite songs then I can jump in and have a push around and let my energy out.

That said, nothing annoys me more than a pit where it's clearly not wanted/needed (case in point: people trying to pit at Anathema a couple of weeks ago). People who ruin pits by feeling the need to assert their dominance by being unnecessarily rough to everyone else also annoy me, as well as those who try to drag in people who clearly don't want to be there.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I've never sat at a metal show but the primary metal venue in my area doesn't have any seating anyway. There's a lower floor area where the pit is and then upper standing space with railings and a bar to stand at.

I don't get too much into moshing anymore because most of the time it's meatheads trying to hurt people or start fights now instead of people having a good time. It's still funny to see dudes who don't know what they're getting into when they go down a level though. Guy walks down with his beer, song starts, the cup is immediately destroyed and spilled all over him. Or guys desperately trying to protect their girlfriend or 12 year son that they brought along.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Turk February posted:

These are the types of shows I love to go to where people slowly begin to lose it. I love it each and every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpvwCUmH34Q

gently caress yes, I saw these dudes about 3 weeks ago and some guy got hit in the face w/ the mic stand and bled all over. It ruled.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I'm way too short to be moshing at 5'5, but I still get in there. Most of the time tho I just get as close as possible and headbang all night. Im surprised my neck isn't crazy like Corpsegrinder. I always feel it the next day tho, where it hurts to raise le neck.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 18, 2012

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

BjornOfBorg posted:

I saw Saxon in some small town in Illinois late last year and it was the same thing. Worst part is that it was enforced! They kicked out some drunk dude because an older guy was offended. Dude just wanted to rock out.

Saxon ruled, but the venue blew.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I can't find discussion about this anywhere. Is anyone listening to Brendon Small's(Home Movies, Metalacolypse) new album Galaktikon?

It's billed as a "High Stakes Intergalactic Extreme Rock Album" and an "audio comic book". I've had it on heavy repeat the past 3 days and I just need someone else to validate that this is really cool.

Apparently the whole things is streaming here, but I don't know if my popup blocker is loving it up or what. Regardless, he has the 30-second sample thing of all the tracks going at his website.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

What Fun posted:

Galaktikon

I've had this on heavy rotation too. You can hear a lot of similarities to Dethklok but its really a very different project altogether. I really dig it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

What Fun posted:

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I can't find discussion about this anywhere. Is anyone listening to Brendon Small's(Home Movies, Metalacolypse) new album Galaktikon?

It's billed as a "High Stakes Intergalactic Extreme Rock Album" and an "audio comic book". I've had it on heavy repeat the past 3 days and I just need someone else to validate that this is really cool.
I like Brendon Small a whole lot and think he's a really funny guy and talented musician, but I find it really difficult to take his music as much more than novelty music.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Vintersorg posted:

I'm way too short to be moshing

No such thing! I saw a five foot tall old guy hold his own at a Cannibal show. However, he was ripped and had a giant Slayer tattoo on his shoulders.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
I've never really understood the great appeal of "moshing". I mean, it wasn't even really a metal thing to begin with. Why it has ever gone beyond the original hardcore punk scene surprises me? I can see bands on stage getting a rise out of it seeing a whirlpool fans just reacting to their performance, but as a fan, what in the hell makes you want to roll around with a bunch of sweaty dudes? Hardcore dancing? It's lame and you look like a gay power ranger doing it. You say that you've got all this pent up negative energy you need to release? Get laid or go run around the block 5 times. Most of the meatheads I've seen "moshing" at shows don't look like they would even know who's playing on the stage. They're just there to get their "mosh" on. Maybe it just proves to be a good opportunity to grope other sweaty guys.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I've never really understood the great appeal of "moshing". I mean, it wasn't even really a metal thing to begin with. Why it has ever gone beyond the original hardcore punk scene surprises me? I can see bands on stage getting a rise out of it seeing a whirlpool fans just reacting to their performance, but as a fan, what in the hell makes you want to roll around with a bunch of sweaty dudes? Hardcore dancing? It's lame and you look like a gay power ranger doing it. You say that you've got all this pent up negative energy you need to release? Get laid or go run around the block 5 times. Most of the meatheads I've seen "moshing" at shows don't look like they would even know who's playing on the stage. They're just there to get their "mosh" on. Maybe it just proves to be a good opportunity to grope other sweaty guys.

I mistakenly (a fan club purchase instead of through the venue) bought floor tickets for a Hatebreed show. I have to say, as sore as I was the next day, being in the middle of a pit like that was pretty loving fun. It's kind of a unique experience to be in the middle of a mass of surging people. I wouldn't do it again because I walked with a limp for a week, but as a one-time experience it was great.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

:goonsay:

go to a good Thrash show, like Toxic Holocaust or something, and get in the circle pit and you'll understand.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
last circle pit I was anywhere near was at a Cryptopsy show. The pit consisted of one huge, 6 1/2 ft, long haired, tattooed, drugged up looking scary monster of a man. Literally nobody went in. He was stomping back and forth pointing at people. Not going to lie, I thought he might rip the first person in half that accepted his challenge.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What kind of metal do you listen to? The poo poo makes you want to go crazy, no need for drugs or pent up energy. It sounds gay but most of the stuff I listen too just unleashes something inside that no other genre can create.

Tell me this doesn't make you want to loving run around and scream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkG8PRazlcs

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

het posted:

I like Brendon Small a whole lot and think he's a really funny guy and talented musician, but I find it really difficult to take his music as much more than novelty music.

I totally understand, I didn't want to step on any toes here - I just needed to gush about it somewhere and didn't think it warranted a thread. I think he knows it's a novelty act, I watched one interview with him and he was just gushing about how cool it was that he gets to play guitar in front of people!

And for what it's worth, he also said that this is a self-financed thing that he did with the Dethklok band while waiting for contracts to happen.

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

Got my tickets for the Gojira/LOG/Dethklok show in Seattle. Can't wait. poo poo is going to be awesome.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Vintersorg posted:

What kind of metal do you listen to? The poo poo makes you want to go crazy, no need for drugs or pent up energy. It sounds gay but most of the stuff I listen too just unleashes something inside that no other genre can create.

Tell me this doesn't make you want to loving run around and scream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkG8PRazlcs

Tears. I wish Iced Earth still put out material to this caliber. Night of the Stormrider and Burnt Offerings are two of my all time favorite metal albums.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

I like to knock around with other people while loud music I like plays. Fighting is too needlessly aggressive, tackle football is too dangerous, and sex is too intimate, so moshing fits in a nice spot. It's just a thing I enjoy. I don't think I can.

Some cool homophobia in there though. TOUCHING DUDES? LOL GAY go sex a lady instead you gays.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~

Not that I'm experienced in man-groping, but moshing is a lovely way of really getting in to the music if that's your thing. Jumping into a pit with a bunch of strangers and bumping in to eachother can actually be quite positive! It's a bit of fun that gets you exhausted, kinda like excercise only not really. Get pumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
I just like watching various people end up ganging up on That Guy