Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LiquidRain posted:

OP subtitle links need updating. Is there a place I can get them? Was hoping to load up on these before a flight tomorrow. :( My Japanese is nowhere near good enough to understand what's going on, either.

This forum has links to all the episodes. You gotta deal with lovely Depositfiles but you can't complain too much, it's an extensive catalogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

I'm pretty sure that's actually the place where Starfleet Academy is.

I remember it from the end of the new Planet of the Apes movie!!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Nipponophile posted:

I'm pretty sure that's actually the place where Starfleet Academy is.

Not after the Breen arrived. :haw:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

I remember the Japanese fan reaction to this shot. Many of them recognized it as "that bridge from Full House."

To me it's "that bridge that's in lots of American movies, I think it's famous or something".

ImpAtom posted:

I remember it from the end of the new Planet of the Apes movie!!

This was actually my first thought. :haw:

Not to diss you guys, but it's always adorable when you act all surprised how foreigners aren't instantly familiar with your cultural staples.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I forgot, where is it that all the fan events for Game Center are posted? I should have been checking religiously. :(

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Going to buy those DVDs so fast. September seems so far away :(

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 18, 2012

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Corridor posted:

To me it's "that bridge that's in lots of American movies, I think it's famous or something".

To me, it'll always be "At least it's not the Bay Bridge..."

Seriously, loving San Francisco traffic. At least the Golden Gate isn't TOO terrible with traffic. NorCal represent. :whatup:

Still can't wait to buy the hell out of those DVDs. I'll probably end up buying two copies. One for myself, and one to lend out to people that I want to show it to.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
I saw a tabletop with those 60 games in an internet cafe and decided to play a few games, 3 games for 2 australian dollars, of course when it came to high scores (which I got a few of) it was obvious what to write in.

I hope Arino would be proud :3: I played some galaga and was able to get a perfect on the challenging level thanks to that episode where they show it off how to do it (stay still). thanks Kacho!

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

Corridor posted:

Not to diss you guys, but it's always adorable when you act all surprised how foreigners aren't instantly familiar with your cultural staples.

I didn't say I was surprised, just that it blows my mind a little. It's not like I expect every person from every culture to recognize every American landmark (and he seems familiar enough with the Statue of Liberty), it's just that it amazes me a little that the Golden Gate Bridge didn't make the list of memorable landmarks. After all, even with my crappy American education there are a certain amount of locations that are just common knowledge, like Stonehenge, the Leaning Tower, the Forbidden Palace, Himeji Castle, etc.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Bo Steed posted:

Stonehenge, the Leaning Tower, the Forbidden Palace, Himeji Castle, etc.

As a dirty foreigner I recognize it, but I've never heard about the Golden Gate Bridge being lumped in with great landmarks like those.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

To be fair, I never heard of the Rainbow Bridge in Tokyo Arino mentioned.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You guys are loving crazy if you don't think the Golden Gate bridge is extremely well known internationally and I'm pretty sure Arino was being facetious when he was talking about it, you know, like a comedian.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

It isn't on Japan's map of America, I don't think they know about it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I mean, I feel confident if you took an American to Tokyo and told him to guess what the name of that huge mountain off in the distance, a lot of people would say Fuji, just because it's the one most spoken of mountain in Japan and easily the one you're most likely to have heard over here in the media or in a book. Much the same, the Golden Gate bridge is a very well known, very photographed bridge and without exception the most well known bridge to Americans so it's not crazy to think that people have at least seen the bridge before and recognize that it might be some kind of a landmark.

I mean, let's be real, what outside of the coasts of America and Texas are really that known to foreigners? This country for billions of people is probably New York, DC, Florida, California and Texas as a big clump in the middle holding both sides together. As Americans it's obvious that foreigners have no concept of anything except the coasts of this country anyways so it's not crazy to think they'd know the names of a few big landmarks. If you asked them to start naming places or landmarks from America the West Coast is probably the Hollywood sign, the Golden Gate Bridge, Vegas/Grand Canyon and the East Coast is the Capitol building, Disney World and the Statue of Liberty. And then what connects each coast is simply "Texas" to them.

I would think it one thing to expect a lot of people to know something like the Gateway Arch in St. Louis than to at least recognize the Golden Gate bridge.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 19, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just imagined what the US would be like if everything between Arizona and Maryland were like Texas and it is not a nice image :(

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Crotch Bat posted:

And as Americans it's obvious that foreigners have no concept of anything except the coasts of this country anyways so it's not crazy to think they'd know the names of a few big landmarks. If you asked them to start naming places or landmarks from America the West Coast is probably the Hollywood sign, the Golden Gate Bridge, Vegas/Grand Canyon and the East Coast is the Capitol building, Disney World and the Statue of Liberty. And then what connects each coast is simply "Texas" to them.
I'm pretty sure this is the way a lot of Americans see America too.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Anime Reference posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the way a lot of Americans see America too.

I think the difference would be we realize there's something there, it just holds no value to us.

Liku posted:

Isn't it?

Yup.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 19, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Crotch Bat posted:

I mean, I feel confident if you took an American to Tokyo and told him to guess what the name of that huge mountain off in the distance, a lot of people would say Fuji, just because it's the one most spoken of mountain in Japan and easily the one you're most likely to have heard over here in the media or in a book.

Isn't it?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

I mean, I feel confident if you took an American to Tokyo and told him to guess what the name of that huge mountain off in the distance, a lot of people would say Fuji, just because it's the one most spoken of mountain in Japan and easily the one you're most likely to have heard over here in the media or in a book. Much the same, the Golden Gate bridge is a very well known, very photographed bridge and without exception the most well known bridge to Americans so it's not crazy to think that people have at least seen the bridge before and recognize that it might be some kind of a landmark.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. Yes Fuji is very famous internationally and most people know about it.

The Golden Gate bridge isn't. Some people will know about it, but most won't.

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Seems I'm some sorta racist ignorant American, thinking people might know things about the US and daring to compare the Golden Gate Bridge to noted landmarks. At least I didn't use it in the same breath as the Parthenon or I might really have been in some trouble.

No seriously, am I crazy? Thinking of top American landmarks Golden Gate has been in the top 5 at least. I thought it was pretty iconic. And I'm pretty sure I can name a fairly sizable amount of landmarks from any number of countries just from school.

That's what I get for growing up in this country, I guess. Sorry for the derail? V:shobon:V

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

As a Brit, I'm surprised to read that the Golden Gate Bridge apparently isn't 'world famous' but even if that's the case, I doubt that the GCCX would've gone to the effort of getting that shot if they didn't know it's significance.

I can see Arino going to the Statue of Liberty and calling it 'some statue' or 'a replica of the statue in Odaiba' or something like that. Doesn't mean he/the team don't know what it really is.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

DiscoJ posted:

I can see Arino going to the Statue of Liberty and calling it 'some statue' or 'a replica of the statue in Odaiba' or something like that. Doesn't mean he/the team don't know what it really is.

Yeah I always got the impression it was a joke, like how he was too busy looking at Inoue's shirt to notice Alcatraz.

If they do a Britain trip I'd expect to see Arino standing in front of Big Ben and going "Here we are at some big clock!"

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Very possible, very likely. On the other hand, I could just as easily imagine the crew dragging a very badly jet-lagged Arino out to the Golden Gate and not letting him know it's actually that bridge just for the fun of letting him stumble about.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Hahaha, I get a kick out of this map. I'm kind of surprised to see no Area 51, yet Carlsbad Caverns is included and El Paso (where I was born). I wasn't aware either of these were that well known outside of Texas/New Mexico. What the hell is going on with Saint Paul?

:laugh: Indianapolis

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Is it just me, or does the tower in Chicago look very similar to the Citadel in Half-Life 2?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

From the silly things in the show that bother me list, when they switch to HD things get kind of rough.

Get one of the AD's to paint those walls, Kan! :argh:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Obeast posted:

Is it just me, or does the tower in Chicago look very similar to the Citadel in Half-Life 2?

I was actually thinking of the tower in Professor Layton and the Curious Village.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
I met AD Nakayama like two hours ago at the arcade near Shibuya Station (Shibuya Kaikan on Sentagai, currently labeled "Basketball Street" for whatever reason). I was playing Street Fighter 4 and he sat down at the machine next to me. I couldn't remember his name, so I just asked him if he was the guy from Game Center CX. Turns out he was.

That's the whole story.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The Timely Howard posted:

I met AD Nakayama like two hours ago at the arcade near Shibuya Station (Shibuya Kaikan on Sentagai, currently labeled "Basketball Street" for whatever reason). I was playing Street Fighter 4 and he sat down at the machine next to me. I couldn't remember his name, so I just asked him if he was the guy from Game Center CX. Turns out he was.

That's the whole story.

Hahaha, who even goes to that arcade.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

Hahaha, who even goes to that arcade.

People who work in the area, want to get some games in after work, and don't want to head out to Shinjuku or Akihabara. As far as well-known players go: Shungoku Neurosis, Shiro, TKD and Ikari Oyaji come by fairly often. And AD Nakayama, I guess. My university is in that area, so I head by sometimes after getting done with class.

It's also THE scene for Capcom VS SNK 2 in Tokyo. The traffic those machines get in the evening makes everywhere else look like a joke by comparison.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

People who work in the area, want to get some games in after work, and don't want to head out to Shinjuku or Akihabara. As far as well-known players go: Shungoku Neurosis, Shiro, TKD and Ikari Oyaji come by fairly often. And AD Nakayama, I guess. My university is in that area, so I head by sometimes after getting done with class.

It's also THE scene for Capcom VS SNK 2 in Tokyo. The traffic those machines get in the evening makes everywhere else look like a joke by comparison.

No poo poo, huh, I figured that hardcore players wouldn't go to such a central area. Do you go to the UN college?

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

No poo poo, huh, I figured that hardcore players wouldn't go to such a central area. Do you go to the UN college?

Nah, I'm an exchange student (thank YOU JASSO) at Kokugakuin-- one of the two universities in Japan where you can get the education required to become a Shinto priest. I recognize your username and for some reason I want to say you go to Sophia? I don't know if the classes you take are structed differently because of all the foreigners involved, but let me tell you that actual Japanese universities are the best. Nobody does anything and everybody gets As!

plus i like being the the only white guy in a class full o' japanese people because i like feeling special :downs:

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Nah, I'm an exchange student (thank YOU JASSO) at Kokugakuin-- one of the two universities in Japan where you can get the education required to become a Shinto priest. I recognize your username and for some reason I want to say you go to Sophia? I don't know if the classes you take are structed differently because of all the foreigners involved, but let me tell you that actual Japanese universities are the best. Nobody does anything and everybody gets As!

plus i like being the the only white guy in a class full o' japanese people because i like feeling special :downs:

Yeah I go to Sophia. Our classes are indeed different, in that we actually have to do work, but then we also actually learn poo poo. At least insofar as anyone learns in a liberal arts department. Also, there are plenty of exchange students, but they come and go and tend to stick to themselves, and the regular full-time students are ~80% Japanese by blood (though kikokushijo or international school kids), with most of the remaining percent being other Korean/Chinese/Taiwainese, so I still get to be a special white flower.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

LimburgLimbo posted:

we also actually learn poo poo.

heh heh

sucker

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

heh heh

sucker

I don't know how you stand it. I've taken a couple classes in other departments, which are like regular Japanese colleges, and I wanted to strangle all the students. They were so loving incompetent.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

I don't know how you stand it. I've taken a couple classes in other departments, which are like regular Japanese colleges, and I wanted to strangle all the students. They were so loving incompetent.

So is there some general theory that in order to keep up the idea that the Japanese are crazy smart they just don't fail students so it doesn't bring down the average?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Every Japanese person I've spoken to about it has told me that university is a lot easier on students than high school and my experience studying abroad has basically been that, too, so far. It's all anecdotal but college in Japan appears to be pretty lenient.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
edit: wrong thread

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

That's the whole story.

Did he bow?

I uploaded JXL Radio Technical Support, which has that robot voice from the beginning of the Game Center CX opening (around 0:37):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U50utXgkeow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Now, I'm curious what that robot voice actually says.