Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Regarding the whole "What did I come here for?" thing: there's a great story in Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything" about the diving/bends expert JBS Haldane:

quote:

He was famously absent-minded. Once after his wife had sent him upstairs to change for a dinner party he failed to return and was discovered asleep in his pajamas. When roused, Haldane explained that he’d found himself disrobing and assumed it was bedtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
How dangerous is it to eat bread (a fresh baked loaf of italian from Tuesday) if it has a very small amount of mold (small scattered white spots) on the surface?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Centzon Totochtin posted:

How dangerous is it to eat bread (a fresh baked loaf of italian from Tuesday) if it has a very small amount of mold (small scattered white spots) on the surface?

From what I understand, mold only grows on the surface (like, it won't grow in the inside of the bread). Scrape that poo poo off and chow down.

Kind of gross though.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Aside from tasting bad it probably won't hurt you.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Huntersoninski posted:

From what I understand, mold only grows on the surface (like, it won't grow in the inside of the bread). Scrape that poo poo off and chow down.

No, definitely not. It does grow through soft, porous foods like bread and can be undetectable.

Toss the whole thing, don't scrape or cut. Bread mold can be harmful to some people. And in the future, you can keep bread in the freezer if it'll be more than a few days before it'll be eaten, but not in the refrigerator because that enhances starch retrogradation aka staling.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

No, definitely not. It does grow through soft, porous foods like bread and can be undetectable.

Maybe i was thinking of cheese. I've never tried it with either food, to be honest.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Anyone know of a jogging band for Ipod Touch/Phone that can hold the phone while it's in a Survivor Case? I want a secure way to hold it while I'm out, but I don't want to bother with taking it out/putting it in constantly.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I need to run a cat5e network cable up some stairs and into my room at my soon to be flat. I chose a colour that would hopefully blend in with the skirting boards as I was thinking of sort of tucking it between the carpet and skirting boards. Does anyone make staple type things that won't damage the carpet or skirting boards but will hold the cable?

I apologise for this being pretty :frog:

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I have a feeling I'm going to sound like an idiot, but what is this thing:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
It's used to develop film. In a darkroom, you wrap the film around that metal spindle, then close it up. You then put in the various fluids (pre-wash, developer, water, etc) through the cap, and when you're done, you can expose the film to light without ruining it. I think; it's been 12 years since I took a photography class.

I'm guessing the battery is there for scale.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 19, 2012

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Golbez posted:

It's used to develop film. As I recall: In a darkroom, you wrap the film around that metal spindle, then close it up. You then put in the various fluids (pre-wash, developer, water, etc) through the cap, and when you're done, you can expose the film to light without ruining it. I think; it's been 12 years since I took a photography class.

This man is correct, though plastic ones are more common than metal ones.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Experto Crede posted:

This man is correct, though plastic ones are more common than metal ones.

And much easier to use. The metal one, you have to manually wrap the film around, whereas the plastic ones are designed so that, once the start of the film is loaded into it, you can just shake the sides back and forth and it sucks the rest of the film in.

http://chromogenic.net/develop has pictures and an explanation.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
A group that I'm a member of on Steam has started creating a bunch of events with notifications that pop up when they start. Since I only actually sit down at this computer a few times a week, I'll have bunches of them to close every time I use it. Is it possible to disable these notifications? I'd rather not leave the group, but they're getting to be very annoying.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Speaking of film, I have a 17 year old half-used disposable camera. Can I just throw it out or is there any chance I could get any pictures from it if I had it developed? Not that it's anything important, just curious really.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Golbez posted:

It's used to develop film. In a darkroom, you wrap the film around that metal spindle, then close it up. You then put in the various fluids (pre-wash, developer, water, etc) through the cap, and when you're done, you can expose the film to light without ruining it. I think; it's been 12 years since I took a photography class.

Thanks, I would have never got that in a million years.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Schweinhund posted:

Speaking of film, I have a 17 year old half-used disposable camera. Can I just throw it out or is there any chance I could get any pictures from it if I had it developed? Not that it's anything important, just curious really.

You can still get it developed. Likely the pictures are going to look not that good, but getting film developed is super cheap these days so its not like you'd be out much if you gave it a whirl. Might as well try to finish off the roll and have it developed.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
I work wine retail and one of the product reps that visits us semi-regularly announced to us that he was leaving his current position to take on a similar role with a rival company.

I don't know this guy particularly well, but we are friendly with each other and get along fine.

Would it be weird for me to e-mail him to ask who best to contact with his old company in order to apply for his (old) job? I sent my resume to a careers link on the company website but I'd rather go for the personal touch if possible. Most of these wine sales rep positions don't get advertised in my city so you need to be proactive in order to get offered a position.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Toss the whole thing, don't scrape or cut. Bread mold can be harmful to some people. And in the future, you can keep bread in the freezer if it'll be more than a few days before it'll be eaten, but not in the refrigerator because that enhances starch retrogradation aka staling.

How does it harm people? And you said "some people" - who's susceptible?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Red_Fred posted:

I need to run a cat5e network cable up some stairs and into my room at my soon to be flat. I chose a colour that would hopefully blend in with the skirting boards as I was thinking of sort of tucking it between the carpet and skirting boards. Does anyone make staple type things that won't damage the carpet or skirting boards but will hold the cable?

I apologise for this being pretty :frog:

Is it carpeted?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Is it carpeted?

Yeah the stairs and hall are carpeted. However I think I might run it along the skirting bit as that is a straight line up the stairs rather than along the stairs as that would mean I need way more cable. If that makes sense.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah the stairs and hall are carpeted. However I think I might run it along the skirting bit as that is a straight line up the stairs rather than along the stairs as that would mean I need way more cable. If that makes sense.

I meant to ask if you have carpet for the whole run. Sounds like you do. You can get cat5 pretty cheap and tuck it the whole way.

Why is wireless not an option?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I meant to ask if you have carpet for the whole run. Sounds like you do. You can get cat5 pretty cheap and tuck it the whole way.

Why is wireless not an option?

Yeah I was wondering what I would need to tuck it in though. I don't want to pull up any of the carpet. Staples?

Wireless is bad for games! :goonsay:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah I was wondering what I would need to tuck it in though. I don't want to pull up any of the carpet. Staples?

Wireless is also bad if you live in a neighborhood with a couple dozen wireless routers within a few hundred feet of you. Also microwaves, those things can kill your signal dead. And in apartments it doesn't have to be your microwave that does it.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Does anyone have any experience living in tiny houses such as the ones on display here: http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com

If so, how was it?

Hey, I noticed no one had mentioned anything about this and I just wanted to link you to this article about someone who renovated an old miner's shed in to a really nice little house. It might be of interest to you.

edit: I actually found the article a while ago via Best Made Projects, the blog from Best Made Company.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Thanks for the help on the Sony CD issue: Now I have another question...

Plumbing repair question: Hooked up to a water supply I have my heater, bathroom (sink, toilet shower/bath), kitchen (sink) and washer. All these items are probably within 5-20 feet of the main water inlet, same floor.

Meanwhile, I apparently have an old and 'high risk' plastic tube water piping running through the place that was part of a class action lawsuit years ago that should have been replaced years ago, too. I know estimates vary on circumstances and locations, but does anyone have any idea about what kind of time and money this should cost to replace the whole kit-and-kaboodle with more modern PEX or something similar?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

Hey, I noticed no one had mentioned anything about this and I just wanted to link you to this article about someone who renovated an old miner's shed in to a really nice little house. It might be of interest to you.

edit: I actually found the article a while ago via Best Made Projects, the blog from Best Made Company.

He made a thread. :)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm thinking of starting a blog. What is a good site to make one at?

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

BigRed0427 posted:

I think tumblr and twitter are the things now for that, unless you want to do super long blog entries, and in that case I'd just spring for my own domain. You can get on shared hosting stupid-cheap these days (like $4 or $5 a month). If you don't want to spend any money though there's always the tried and true livejournal (Apparently that's still around).

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

Twitter's a social thing, Tumblr is (primarily) for sharing/reposting other people's stuff (not entirely, but mostly).

Wordpress has always been the gold standard for free or self-hosted blogs; lots and lots and lots of plugins, themes, extensions, etc.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I would go with Wordpress like Travakian suggested, and leave LiveJournal out of things. I'm not an expert, I haven't used blogs or journals or anything really ever, but lately I did look into it a bit with a thought of starting one, and Wordpress seemed to be the best option. There was another alternative to LiveJournal some years ago (can't remember the name, Blogger? Blogspot?) but Google's acquired it, so that's enough to turn me off of it personally.

APimpNamedSlickback
Aug 26, 2007
What is a good science-themed book I can get my mom's boyfriend? He's into pretty much everything, and he's not very technical. So, I don't think he would want something about neuroscience (thanks apricity http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485609)

Any ideas?

Thank you.

P.S. OHHHH YEAHHHH what is that book that's like a 400-page history of science? I forgot what it's called, but it includes a lot of theories and hsit. I think i might have "viewed" it online a while back.
*ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION- http://www.amazon.com/A-Short-History-Nearly-Everything/dp/076790818X)

Tahnks

sincerely,
APimpNamedSlickback

APimpNamedSlickback fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 19, 2012

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

APimpNamedSlickback posted:

What is a good science-themed book I can get my mom's boyfriend? He's into pretty much everything, and he's not very technical. So, I don't think he would want something about neuroscience (thanks apricity http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3485609)

Any ideas?

Thank you.

P.S. OHHHH YEAHHHH what is that book that's like a 400-page history of science? I forgot what it's called, but it includes a lot of theories and hsit. I think i might have "viewed" it online a while back.
*ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION- http://www.amazon.com/A-Short-History-Nearly-Everything/dp/076790818X)

Tahnks

sincerely,
APimpNamedSlickback
Anything by or about Richard Feynman is wildly entertaining, interesting, and not overly technical. For example, Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!

(Please don't sign your posts.)

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Red_Fred posted:

I forgot stairs usually don't have baseboards to tuck it under. For the areas that do you usually can just press it in with your fingers and use the non-sharp end of a fork/spoon for the areas where it is tight. Usually it's tight getting it in but once you pass the meet point there is some free space towards the wall. I've done it with coax a million times.

Also, you could get creative with some white coax and unails if you have white walls, using the corners, depending on your layout.

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=228757782&sellerid=31699250
http://www.google.com/products/cata...ed=0CJsBEPMCMAM

Just a cursory search not advocating those particular products/sites.

E: Wireless will always add and additional ~20-40ms lag but with a good N router and not a lot of AP's in the area you will probably be fine. The best scenario would be if you could test it out first (see how many APs come up in your connect to a network list at a minimum).

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 19, 2012

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

when worlds collide posted:

I would go with Wordpress like Travakian suggested, and leave LiveJournal out of things. I'm not an expert, I haven't used blogs or journals or anything really ever, but lately I did look into it a bit with a thought of starting one, and Wordpress seemed to be the best option. There was another alternative to LiveJournal some years ago (can't remember the name, Blogger? Blogspot?) but Google's acquired it, so that's enough to turn me off of it personally.

I just set up a blog on blogspot/blogger and it was pretty easy and nicely customizable. You can even edit the raw HTML if the preset templates aren't working right.

Google or not, it was pretty simple.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I just set up a blog on blogspot/blogger and it was pretty easy and nicely customizable. You can even edit the raw HTML if the preset templates aren't working right.

Google or not, it was pretty simple.

I do remember a few years ago giving it a shot and it was a decent website, although I never made more than one or two posts before I ended up losing interest. It was the more dignified alternative to LJ, if I remember correctly. I'm just personally very wary of any pies Google's got their fingers in, because of certain privacy concerns and their insistance on linking every thing they offer with everything else. I have even been transferring all my email from Gmail back to Hotmail, with a view to killing Gmail and Google+ and all that. I'm probably a bit more paranoid than most about online privacy though, and I'm aware of this quirk of mine and that I'm in the minority. And probably sound like a crackpot.

And of course I don't even have anything scandalous to hide, I'm an extremely boring person, it's just the principle of the thing. Used to be that people got upset if the government had any private info on them, but the trend nowadays is to let corporations have it in unprecidented levels with nary a care, because they get to use this or that internet service for free. I'm sure blogspot suits the needs of lots of people, and nothing will happen to them or their info. It's just a personal quirk of mine that I shouldn't have even mentioned in that post, but oh well. I did, so I figured I'd explain a bit better what I meant. It wasn't about ease of use or anything.

I do like how Wordpress operates, from what little I've actually messed with it. It's another of those 'back burner' projects that I should probably pick up again soon, as I had an idea for a website that Wordpresses format would suit nicely.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Ok, so if you're married and make $70,700 a year, you pay 15% federal income tax on it. If you make $70,701, you're in the 25% bracket, but of course you only pay 25% on that extra dollar - your total tax doesn't actually jump to the new rate on your entire income. I get that.

What I'm confused about is whether such a jump happens with capital gains tax. If you're in the 15% income tax bracket, your capital gains tax is currently zero. If you're in the 25% bracket, the capital gains tax rate is apparently 15%.

So if I sell $10,000 worth of stocks and my total income including the sale is $70,700, I don't pay taxes on that sale, right? But if I sell $10,001 worth of stocks, do I now owe Uncle Sam fifteen percent of whatever my capital gains happen to be?

Starker44
May 14, 2012

marshmallard posted:

How does it harm people? And you said "some people" - who's susceptible?

When you say mold on bread it really depends on how much there is. If its only very tiny spots on the slice I will wet my fingers and wipe it off. If its the size of a pencil eraser or a bit bigger I will just pinch that part off whether its white or green mold. My wife thinks its gross but it hasn't killed me yet. Why throw away a good slice if it has a tiny spot. The most important thing when entering the realm of bad food is to trust your nose. If it smells bad and tastes bad then its bad. If the stamp on the label has passed its doesn't mean that its bad that's just the manufacturers way of 'CYOA'.

Some fun facts about mold;

Mold is not a plant but a fungus like mushrooms and toadstools. It grows on food and other organic matter, breaking it down into slime and extracting nutrients for growth.

Alexander Fleming discovered that a common type of mold fungi kills germs. From this, he made a medicine called penicillin which has saved millions of lives over the last 80 years. Many other life-saving drugs are made from chemicals obtained from mold.

Mold is one of nature’s cleaners. It breaks down dead organic material and recycles the nutrients back into the soil. It is essential in nearly every ecosystem in the world.

We use molds for flavor in some foods such as blue cheese, soy sauce and Quorn(TM).

The facts were taken from http://www.experiment-resources.com/mold-bread-experiment.html

Back to the quote molds have played an important role in medicine. That's is were we got penicillin from. According to this link http://allergies.about.com/od/medicationallergy/a/penicillin.htm 10% of americans report being allergic to penicillin, that would be who is susceptible, IMO.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Captain von Trapp posted:

Ok, so if you're married and make $70,700 a year, you pay 15% federal income tax on it. If you make $70,701, you're in the 25% bracket, but of course you only pay 25% on that extra dollar - your total tax doesn't actually jump to the new rate on your entire income. I get that.

What I'm confused about is whether such a jump happens with capital gains tax. If you're in the 15% income tax bracket, your capital gains tax is currently zero. If you're in the 25% bracket, the capital gains tax rate is apparently 15%.

So if I sell $10,000 worth of stocks and my total income including the sale is $70,700, I don't pay taxes on that sale, right? But if I sell $10,001 worth of stocks, do I now owe Uncle Sam fifteen percent of whatever my capital gains happen to be?

It's based on "ordinary income" which excludes "capital gains". I don't know the exact brackets but if you made that extra dollar in "ordinary income" instead of a "capital gain" to take you to the next bracket, then yes. You have to pay the 15% on long term gains.

I am not a tax expert and this is internet advice. :)

Also, capital gains dodging/relief/etc is why everything's hosed right now.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
Hmm. I'm thinking about moving some money from one mutual fund to another within the same company and was wondering if that type of transaction was taxable in principle. Looks like it probably is. In my particular case I don't think I'd pay any taxes because my income is hilariously far below the 25% bracket and the value of the investment involved is also tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Captain von Trapp posted:

Hmm. I'm thinking about moving some money from one mutual fund to another within the same company and was wondering if that type of transaction was taxable in principle. Looks like it probably is. In my particular case I don't think I'd pay any taxes because my income is hilariously far below the 25% bracket and the value of the investment involved is also tiny.

You want this thread.