Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Saoshyant posted:

Does it now? Vaan was just confused as a generic Nomura character and, dear god, Ashe's design is a terrible abortion. Hookers don't dress like that, much less Queens.

I love XII, but its character design wasn't "much better".

Are we really giving Ashe poo poo for showing too much skin?

You're right! Totally unprecedented! Except Ashe actually has most of her legs, arms, and shoulders covered. She's exposing very little skin. And she's wearing wacky stuff like armor! (Granted, not much, but at least it's more than most RPG characters wear).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

.. Yes? Most of those are bad designs. I was complaining about Tifa earlier as well. "Oh, well, other designs are bad too" is a pretty poor excuse.

Her design is awful. She is wearing a hot pink miniskirt with a baby blue oversize belt, some kind of black half-corset.. her design is a mess. Even if it wasn't, it does a poo poo job of conveying her character. She is a widowed queen dealing with serious political issues and she's wearing that. It's loving ridiculous.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 19, 2012

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah. Rikku in particular is one of the worst designs in the series.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

.. Yes? Most of those are bad designs. I was complaining about Tifa earlier as well. "Oh, well, other designs are bad too" is a pretty poor excuse.

Her design is awful. She is wearing a hot pink miniskirt, some kind of black half-corset.. her design is a mess. Even if it wasn't, it does a poo poo job of conveying her character. She is a widowed queen dealing with serious political issues and she's wearing that. It's loving ridiculous.

I wasn't saying it was a good design, but complaining that she looked like a "hooker" when she actually shows very little skin is a stupid complaint. Yes, her skirt is short, along with the skirts of 80% of video game females. Despite the short skirt, she's not used as an obvious sex-appeal character (unlike Fran, who is).

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Holy christ! What is wrong with her body!? Look at that waist!

Oh well, I suppose it works inga-

:wth: ARRH!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I wasn't saying it was a good design, but complaining that she looked like a "hooker" when she actually shows very little skin is a stupid complaint. Yes, her skirt is short, along with the skirts of 80% of video game females. Despite the short skirt, she's not used as an obvious sex-appeal character (unlike Fran, who is).

The clothing she is wearing is less important than where and how that clothing is cut. It's ridiculous clothing that doesn't even work for the "Well, they're in a desert and so wear little" sort of mindset. It's not quite "hookerwear" but the design philosophy of the outfit is clearly appeal and body emphasis more than anything else. Emphasis-focused clothing can actually be kind of weirder than pure bared skin depending on where and how it is designed.

The fact that she's not an obvious sex-appeal character actually makes it worse She's supposed to be someone who is treated as a serious, solemn and important character and they gave her a hot pink miniskirt. With crappy sex appeal characters at least the sex appeal works with the purpose of the character instead of against it.

FFT had some really great female character designs which is why Ashe is so frustrating.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 19, 2012

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The costume in general is just hideous. There's so much poo poo on her in different colors. Give me Yunas kimono from FFX any day, please.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pesky Splinter posted:

Holy christ! What is wrong with her body!? Look at that waist!

Oh well, I suppose it works inga-

:wth: ARRH!

Looks like someone's never heard of Ioana Spangenberg.

...but even she has a rib cage.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The biggest complaint wasn't that she showed too much skin, the poo poo was given for awful, beyond-unrealistic character design. But thanks for a wall of hotlinked images, perhaps all the poo poo given should be directed towards your awful post! :cool:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

The clothing she is wearing is less important than where and how that clothing is cut. It's ridiculous clothing that doesn't even work for the "Well, they're in a desert and so wear little" sort of mindset. It's not quite "hookerwear" but the design philosophy of the outfit is clearly appeal and body emphasis more than anything else. Emphasis-focused clothing can actually be kind of weirder than pure bared skin depending on where and how it is designed.

A good example would be Bayonetta:
(Ignore the cosplayer on the right)

Notice how she only has that cresent of boobs showing, and how the rest of her skin is covered. There isn't a lot of skin on show at the front - it's pretty much a full body suit, though she is showing a lot of back.

Look at how her clothes actually empahsise her hips and chest. She is way more sexualised than Ashe, but that fits her character, because everything Bayonetta does is either sexualised or fetishised to the point of farce.

Ashe's character isn't, at least, not ingame. Notice that her short skirt is pink. That's the designers saying "LOOK! Look at how short her skirt is! We want you to look at the skirt! We want you to notice it!" The pink draws the eye to it. And then you've got her really weird posture as well, what is she doing? Trying to pick her nose?

And for no reason here is the Judges' armour for no other reason than most are pretty groovy.

[e]:

TurnipFritter posted:

Well, I'll be...a 20 inch waist...bloody hell...:psyduck:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 19, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

You quoted me but I didn't say that :confused:

For characters, I love Edea. She is so evil and dark. I mean, look at this poo poo:

She's just so awesome, like she's going to stab you the second you look away. My favorite part of 8 was being able to play as her.

This was from a few pages back but I had to bring it back up here. I wish Edea had remained the main villain for the rest of the game.

Also, this is the least Nomura-ish design he's ever done. In fact, it looks somewhat Amano-ish, with all those head decorations and the black feathery... thing. I'm starting to doubt Nomura had a hand in this.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Pesky Splinter posted:

These guys (and the one gal) rock some pretty sweet helmets. Though one has to wonder, what happens if Zargabaath has to look to the side?

The armor is really cool, though, in that it looks like something that you could actually wear, and it'd actually serve as good protection.

Now see, the super-thin waist can work in illustrations that're sty--

TurnipFritter posted:

:stonk:

Thanks for the nightmares.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Jesus Christ. I... dear god. That's terrifying.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Seeing that pic of Zargabaath reminds me how sad I was that the Judge with the coolest armor wound up doing practically gently caress all in that game. Are those Nomura's designs too? While I suppose he was probably constrained by having them being specifically written as always clad in Vaderesque armor, I'd still be surprised if he designed something so subdued - and I'm a guy who generally tolerates his designs. :(

Also, dear GOD what did that woman have to do to get a waist like that? It hurts to look at.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: It wasn't Nomura. I don't think he did anything in XII.

Krad posted:

This was from a few pages back but I had to bring it back up here. I wish Edea had remained the main villain for the rest of the game.

Also, this is the least Nomura-ish design he's ever done. In fact, it looks somewhat Amano-ish, with all those head decorations and the black feathery... thing. I'm starting to doubt Nomura had a hand in this.

Nomura actually did the initial designs for Gilgamesh, apparently:

quote:

According to the fifth "Chocobo's FF Laboratory" feature published in the November 1993 edition of V-Jump, the initial design for Gilgamesh was created by Tetsuya Nomura, although Yoshitaka Amano was the one who drew the character's final artwork. The magazine states that Nomura's initial design looked like a cross between Gilgamesh's first and second in-game forms.

He's more than capable of doing stuff outside his comfort blanket of belts and buckles, it's just he doesn't do it that often it seems. :(

And, not Nomura, but the artist who designed Caius said he based it on Amano's work:

quote:

"Naora stated that he was inspired by Yoshitaka Amano for the character's armor and accessories — Leon from Final Fantasy II in particular. "

For reference:

I can kinda see it, with the sleeves, and the beads and poo poo in the hair. Not Leon's hair, but in 90% or his other works.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 19, 2012

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cityinthesea posted:

Wasn't FFTA just technically based on Ivalice? Like, are the events of FFTA... canon in the Ivaliceaverse? I always thought it was just them inhabiting a fantasy version of Ivalice (I mean, I guess Monteblanc is in FF12 and FFTA but that's pretty much it as far as references go)
No, FFTA's Ivalice is a collective dreamworld based on Final Fantasy 12 created by a group of broken kids as a means of escape from their lovely lives. I'm pretty sure at one point they even end up saying "Hey, this is exactly like my favorite video game, Final Fantasy 12!"

You can safely ignore everything that is not a battle sequence in either of the FFTA games.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that she's not an obvious sex-appeal character actually makes it worse She's supposed to be someone who is treated as a serious, solemn and important character and they gave her a hot pink miniskirt. With crappy sex appeal characters at least the sex appeal works with the purpose of the character instead of against it.

FFT had some really great female character designs which is why Ashe is so frustrating.

Eh, I'm colorblind so the hot pink skirt never really drew my attention, and I think the colors come across as more subdued in-game anyway. I remember thinking her skirt was brown. Nevertheless, her design never struck me as all that cheesecakey, nonfunctional, or just plain stupid like a lot of other designs in the series. To each their own, though.

I'm actually a little surprised the character designer was the same between FFT and XII, since the designs don't look much alike. Agrias and Miluda certainly don't have the same feel as Ashe. On the other hand, I guess the Viera outfits are kinda similar to the Dancer class, and Penelo is basically wearing a female Monk bodysuit.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Schwartzcough posted:

Eh, I'm colorblind so the hot pink skirt never really drew my attention, and I think the colors come across as more subdued in-game anyway.

If you don't mind my asking, are you completely colour blind, or just blind to certain wavelengths of colour?

[e]: Hey, ImpAtom, you said you played the international version, did you play up to the bit with Drace and Vayne? I'm just curious as to what the original Japanese stuff for that scene was - like the idiom of the mummer's farce and motley, that sort of thing?

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 19, 2012

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

If you don't mind my asking, are you completely colour blind, or just blind to certain wavelengths of colour?

Mostly red-green, but I've seen people giving me funny looks about other colors before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: Hey, ImpAtom, you said you played the international version, did you play up to this bit? I'm just curious as to what the original Japanese stuff for that Judge Drace scene was - like the idiom of the mummer's farce and motley, that sort of thing?

No, sorry. I honestly don't remember that bit at all. I don't think I got far enough. I wasn't a huge fan of FFXII's gameplay and the International Version didn't really grab me. I think there's a "retranslated" script floating around by people who didn't like the Alexander O. Smith translation but I'm not sure where to find it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

And, not Nomura, but the artist who designed Caius said he based it on Amano's work:

Huh, I can see that now. Honestly, it kind of looks like someone took a Nomura character's hair and put it on an Amano body. I suppose that's kind of telling, considering the hair and the sword were the only parts of Caius' design I didn't like.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: I don't like the sword either. It looks way too busy.

Maybe if they got rid of the side bits (blades?) and made an actual cutting edge.

ImpAtom posted:

No, sorry. I honestly don't remember that bit at all.

I'll try and find it then, thanks anyway :)

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 19, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

My favorite FFXII character design is that one pirate girl who wears a thong on the outside of her shorts.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

^^^
[e]: I don't like the sword either. It looks way too busy.

I kinda laughed when I realized the only bit of the sword I liked (the eye that lights up for dramatic effect) was there because it's basically Purple Soul Edge. :v:

As for the hair, considering Caius is basically Evil Asura, they might as well have given him Asura's hair. Something short that didn't constantly obscure his face with all the scenery chewing and emoting he does.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I think Caius's sword is hilarious because they could not have tried any harder to rip off Soul Edge, regardless of if it was intended or not.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

My favorite FFXII character design is that one pirate girl who wears a thong on the outside of her shorts.

That would be Elza.

Man, Reddas' three quirky followers were just so random. I get the feeling they were supposed to be slightly more important but what we got was just bizarre and kinda bothersome. Like Balthier's friend in Archades and his goddammed Chops.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Ugh, when did Sephiroth become a lame emo goth Gackt lookalike? This is so stupid. I never watched anything about FF7 since `97, and he apparently turns into some stereotypical anime whatever-the-poo poo, not resembling his personality or character at all.

I remember him as this:

Yes, he was evil, but he became so because he found out his mother was a test subject and so was he, and he wasn't even a real human being . He wasn't some fanboy's sexy grey-haired emo dude. He was a normal guy that went insane, he was messed up by Mako, he was messed up by the company. He shouldn't look so pretty and so emo like a myspace picture. I'm so angry at all the new poo poo Square/Enix/poo poo has come up with since the 90s.

On the other hand, seeing this at the flagship store in Tokyo was pretty amazing, though they actually did stay pretty true to the original game in terms of making this, unlike the other poo poo turned him into.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

That would be Elza.

Man, Reddas' three quirky followers were just so random. I get the feeling they were supposed to be slightly more important but what we got was just bizarre and kinda bothersome. Like Balthier's friend in Archades and his goddammed Chops.

Fuuuck I hated that part. I really do like XII as much as any other FF, but bits like that or the freaking Odyssey it took just to get to Archades are probably why I'll never replay that game.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo, Please don't say you just watched Advent children? :ohdear:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 19, 2012

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Pesky Splinter posted:

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo, Please don't say you just watched Advent children? :ohdear:

I've never watched it. I'm thinking that's a good thing?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Yeah, Reddas' "gang" are pretty terrible and completely out-of-place. I don't know if the character designer was doing it as a parody/homage to that sort of design in, say, X, or honestly thought it was a good idea.

I mean, look at them...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

I've never watched it. I'm thinking that's a good thing?

Yes. If you ever watch it, watch it only for the action scenes. Don't even try to think of it as a FF film of one of the games. It's hard to explain why without seeing it, but it's not so much a film, as it is a noninteractive cutscene that goes on for ninety minutes.

You'll go apeshit when you find out that Gackt is now a major character in the FFVII series:

He's like Sephiroth (experimented on with Jenova Cells, is a 1st class SOLDIER, goes mad, makes "clones", is a one-winged angel (only it's the other shoulder it's on) and performs the will of a powerful force (in this case, the personification of the planet itself, Minerva)), but he is also friends with Sephiroth, and looks up to him, as well as having a rivalry with him, blah, blah, blah.

It's authorised self-insert fanfiction. And it's awful. And that is Gackt, by the way. No bullshit.

He also sang two songs for Dirge of Cerberus: "Redemption" and "LONGING".

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 19, 2012

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's not THAT bad... if you watch the Complete version... and have lots of alcohol already in your system beforehand...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Hey, that poo poo had the best version of One-Winged Angel. Sure it was like seven years later but the song finally lived up to the hype. I even thought the new lyrics were better.

I forget the rest of the movie though. I think Raiden managed to avoid drowning but then hit Crispin Freeman in the face.

...oh Quinton Flynn, it's sad that Isaaru and that Luca Goers douchebag were your most respectable roles in an FF. Apparently everybody loves his Axel though but I avoid Kingdom Hearts like the plague.

Also a weird observation I've started up. You might have noticed that OWA vid has almost 5 million views. I've started to try and remember each number of views an FF song has on YT in an attempt to find out the most popular Final Fantasy-related track.

Again these are only my observations of just YOutubing songs I like so there are probably more. However the top 3 ones are:
1. One-Winged Angel
2. 1000 Words at 3.5 Million
3. Melodies of Life at 2.6 million

It's just a little curiosity of mine.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The music is fine, and the best part, it's just the plot is mind numbing. Action scenes are pretty decent though. It's not every movie you see someone take on a summon.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Although, does Genesis really qualify as self-insert? I think Squall is proof enough that Nomura has been wanting Gackt since FFVIII. I don't know if there's a record of who approached who first but I'm more willing to blame Nomura and his weird fantasies than Gackt since I like the latter's music. (some of it anyway)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh. The Gackt thing is dumb but considering that we're at a point where actors appearing almost unchanged as supporting roles in game is actually a "thing", the only odd part is that it's a Japanese dude in a Japanese RPG and not Martin Sheen as the Illusive Man or whatever.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

NikkolasKing posted:

Hey, that poo poo had the best version of One-Winged Angel. Sure it was like seven years later but the song finally lived up to the hype. I even thought the new lyrics were better.

Was this made by Malice Mizer? I was actually super into them in high school (and somehow had no loving clue that Gackt was in FF), and this song sounds like they made it. (side note: Despite being a ff7 sperglord, I somehow never got into anime and became a normal, functioning human being, for the most part. My best friend and I are still shocked at this :stare: )

Anyways, including Gackt into the game because he was the most popular thing in Japan at the time and had naked billboards of himself all over the place just shows how little (i.e. at all) Square cared about the game. Oh hey, this guy gets a poo poo ton of popularity and money, let's exploit that!

I actually bought Dirge of Cerebus at the local gaming convention a few years ago after reading about it in an LP thread, but never actually played it because I learned all I needed to know from that thread..

Edit:

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. The Gackt thing is dumb but considering that we're at a point where actors appearing almost unchanged as supporting roles in game is actually a "thing", the only odd part is that it's a Japanese dude in a Japanese RPG and not Martin Sheen as the Illusive Man or whatever.

Um, you don't quite understand. You see, :nws: THIS :nws: was a billboard in Japan. Like, on the major streets. In front of everyone. Naked. With airbrushed balls. Ugh, Square, what the gently caress?

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 19, 2012

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nah, that's not MM. The song was performed by Nobuo Uematsu's own metal band, The Black Mages.

Malice Mizer was (unfortunately) disbanded long before Advent Children. Gackt actually left the group before they broke up completely and it was then he became a mega star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

NikkolasKing posted:

Nah, that's not MM. The song was performed by Nobuo Uematsu's own metal band, The Black Mages.

Malice Mizer was (unfortunately) disbanded long before Advent Children. Gackt actually left the group before they broke up completely and it was then he became a mega star.

Ach, I knew all the MM facts but wasn't sure about the specific years. That's awesome that Uematsu has a metal band. Now I will rock out to it :black101: