Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I remember something about the air tools losing power quickly, but I don't know how long ago it was posted; a while back.

Something I missed: pliers. At least a bent nose and a long needle nose.

Part of the deal is you'll still find yourself borrowing tools, which is okay because everyone understands that you can't plan ahead for everything (on a budget anyway). The etiquette is usually "Borrow it once, happy to help; borrow it twice, buy one tonight".

e: one more thing: it might look stupid but who fuckin' cares: get an elastic sweatband for your head (even better, get 5 and wash 'em at the end of the week). It beats the poo poo out of every alternative besides great AC, which I guarantee you will not have. I recommend black so it doesn't look terrible when it gets crapped up (it will). Before you use them the first time, wash and dry them twice on hot/cold so you're sure they won't bleed any dye on your forehead and make you look hilarious.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Harbor freight air tools are not crop. I've got their 1/2 impact (earthquake), die grinder , angle die grinder, needle gun, etc. All work great and were cheap. The only complaint about the earthquake impact is that it's heavy and loud as hell.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Harbor freight air tools are not crop. I've got their 1/2 impact (earthquake), die grinder , angle die grinder, needle gun, etc. All work great and were cheap. The only complaint about the earthquake impact is that it's heavy and loud as hell.

I'll agree with the "not crap". I have several. I think they get a bad rap for losing power because they are often baby's first air tools and aren't lubricated properly by the uninitiated.

Most of them are pretty big for their power output, so it makes tight spots more difficult than with tools that cost 4 times as much.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
Can you tell me about proper lubricating for baby's first air tool then?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Can you tell me about proper lubricating for baby's first air tool then?

When you first get it, turn it upside down and fill it with oil up to the top of the air fitting. Now squeeze the trigger to let the oil run into the tool. Hook it up to the air hose, point the exhaust at the ground/away from you and run it until no more oil flies out.

Now just add a few drops every morning before you use it. You don't need to add so much that it runs out every day.....you'll get the feel for it. Each tool is a little different in how much it takes.

If you don't do that they either sludge up or rust from the condensation in the shop air supply.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 16, 2012

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:stare:

I literally had no idea I had to fill it. Thanks!

Does this mean I need to take the fitting out that I screwed in and then fill it?

I knew they had oil lubricating them, as it sometimes comes out of the exhaust.

Which oil should I be using?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's somewhat better than my "Forget entirely 90% of the time then have a sulk when it won't work and I have to rebuild it".

Edit: Just ask your tool shop for air tool oil, buy a quart and a dripper bottle so you can fill the tools easily.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OnlyJuanMon posted:

:stare:

I literally had no idea I had to fill it. Thanks!

Does this mean I need to take the fitting out that I screwed in and then fill it?

I knew they had oil lubricating them, as it sometimes comes out of the exhaust.

Which oil should I be using?

Nope, fill it to the top of your air fitting. No need to remove it.

As far as what kind of oil, "air tool oil". The have it at HF and pretty much any place that sells air tools. It has a squeeze top on it that fits right in the air fitting so it doesn't make a mess.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Ah, okay. For some reason I had it in my head that I would be filling the whole loving gun. But just fill it to the top of the air fitting, attach it to the hose, then add a few drops every day. Thanks!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Ah, okay. For some reason I had it in my head that I would be filling the whole loving gun. But just fill it to the top of the air fitting, attach it to the hose, then add a few drops every day. Thanks!

Yep. Just to the top of the air fitting on that first fill or after a rebuild (or after it's been sitting for months) to make sure you get it really lubed up. It's really not that much oil....you aren't filling the whole thing, just up to the valve. Then when you press the valve it dumps in. Then hook up the hose.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
In a pinch I've used regular motor oil, but the real stuff is better. I figure anything is better than letting the moisture eat the tool alive.

I've been considering getting one of those "inline oiler" devices that screws into the air line, then putting it between some quick disconnects and using it with all the air tools. Only reason I wouldn't put it directly on the end of my air hose is that I don't want to fill my tires with air tool oil.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Only reason I wouldn't put it directly on the end of my air hose is that I don't want to fill my tires with air tool oil.

Which you will even on a quick disconnect because the inside of your hoses will be loaded with oil.

I've though av the same thing, but keep going back to a big no. The only way I'd do it would be to have a separate air tool hose/hoses and manifold the "air only" ones back behind the oiler.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I use kroil to lube my air tools, and it works great.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Motronic posted:

Which you will even on a quick disconnect because the inside of your hoses will be loaded with oil.

I've though av the same thing, but keep going back to a big no. The only way I'd do it would be to have a separate air tool hose/hoses and manifold the "air only" ones back behind the oiler.

That's what I mean. Basically an inline oiler with disconnects on both sides, that I insert between the air hose and the tool. If I'm wanting just air, remove it, and connect my blowgun/tire filler/whatever directly to the hose.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Make sure you have some wobbly impact sockets. They let you use your impact gun in more applications.

You may also want a 3/8 drive impact gun. It won't be as powerful, but they tent to be much lighter. It won't be much help on wheels and tires though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

That's what I mean. Basically an inline oiler with disconnects on both sides, that I insert between the air hose and the tool. If I'm wanting just air, remove it, and connect my blowgun/tire filler/whatever directly to the hose.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you or I wasn't being clear.....if you run a hose in front of an oiler, even after you remove the oiler the hose is gonna blow oil on/in everything. You'd need separate air hoses to pull this off.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
He's talking about Compressor -> Hose -> Quick Connect -> Oiler -> Short Hose -> Air Tool. The short hose goes away with the oiler when that's disconnected, and is the only section of hose that gets oil in it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

He's talking about Compressor -> Hose -> Quick Connect -> Oiler -> Short Hose -> Air Tool. The short hose goes away with the oiler when that's disconnected, and is the only section of hose that gets oil in it.

I guess the only oilers I've seen are absolutely mount-it-to-the-wall type deals, so I don't see how I'd set one up other than at the manifold. That and I use retractable hoses on the ceiling.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Ok so I had a $60 part that I wanted to install on the underside of my mustang, this was as good of an excuse as any for a trip to sears for some goddamn overpriced tools.

Socket Set
Low Profile Jack Might need to get a different one that goes up higher, we will see...
Jack Stands

I guess I made out ok for someone who will probably only ever change the oil. I've needed a socket set for a while just for basic home maintenance and the jack/stands weren't that much more. The only problem is that when i jack up one side of the mustang the whole car comes up (front and back wheels), I wasn't comfortable with this so I never made it high enough to put the jack stands in (my part remains uninstalled). Is it ok if the whole side of the car comes up, I know the rear tire will come back down when I jack the other side up.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Try ramps next time.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
If you get an air tool stuck the first thing to try to fix it is WD-40 btw

Also HF's like $20 air ratchet does in fact suck. I have had a pepboys one that I've used many many many times since I was 16. (I'm 23 now) The harbor freight one I used for quickly opening and closing vises at the machine shop I was at broke within a few weeks. The little ball bearing that retains the socket fell out. While I could still use the tool it wouldnt retain sockets for poo poo of course.

Lord Gaga fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 17, 2012

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

Rabble posted:

Ok so I had a $60 part that I wanted to install on the underside of my mustang, this was as good of an excuse as any for a trip to sears for some goddamn overpriced tools.

Socket Set
Low Profile Jack Might need to get a different one that goes up higher, we will see...
Jack Stands

I guess I made out ok for someone who will probably only ever change the oil. I've needed a socket set for a while just for basic home maintenance and the jack/stands weren't that much more. The only problem is that when i jack up one side of the mustang the whole car comes up (front and back wheels), I wasn't comfortable with this so I never made it high enough to put the jack stands in (my part remains uninstalled). Is it ok if the whole side of the car comes up, I know the rear tire will come back down when I jack the other side up.

Get some pep boys plastic ramps for like 40 bucks.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Thanks for the advice guys, maybe I'll take the stands back and keep the jack for if I ever want to change the tires.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
If you keep the jack, you need to keep at least one stand. There's no point in having one and not the other, since you should never put a car up on a jack without a stand. :colbert:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Keep the stands. You will need them if you ever want to work on your brakes.

If you ever need to change tie rod ends or shocks you will need the stands.

Tire rotation is another good reason to have jack stands.

The biggest job you should ever do with the car supported on a jack is changing a single tire. Even that can be dangerous with a jack only.

Brakes are like the easiest job you can do on a car. I would rather change brakes than change oil. Oil changing is so messy.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Rabble posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, maybe I'll take the stands back and keep the jack for if I ever want to change the tires.
You'll want to keep the stands to actually put the car on rather than using the jack as a stand, though 4 ton stands for a Mustang are overkill, and you'd be fine with some HF 3-ton for half that price.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Well since I didnt have the nerve to even get the car high enough to reach the bottom point of the stands I figured there wasn't much reason to keep them. But, I'll take the advice and keep them even though I can't see a reason to right now. What's the rule? No matter how many tools you have, you're always missing the one you need.

And I'd never ever get under a car supported only by jacks.

I'm going to stick to oil changes with ramps until the warranty runs out. I've got thousands of miles to go before I'll need to worry about brakes and other bits (I hope).

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

PBCrunch posted:

Brakes are like the easiest job you can do on a car. I would rather change brakes than change oil. Oil changing is so messy.

Everytime I do a brake job, there always seems to be ONE minor hiccup that takes like half an hour to resolve. And it's something different every time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rabble posted:

Well since I didnt have the nerve to even get the car high enough to reach the bottom point of the stands I figured there wasn't much reason to keep them. But, I'll take the advice and keep them even though I can't see a reason to right now.
A good tip is any time you're removing a wheel from a car, put it under the jacked-up car. It keeps it out your way and offers an extra safety net.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NitroSpazzz posted:

Have a question for anyone who works with refrigeration equipment. We do a lot of work with 134A and the pumps we have been using only last a few months because they aren't made to move the volume we do. At the moment we are using the Promax RG6000, previously we were using a similar unit that I can't remember the name of.

The issue is we're pumping around 200-300 pounds at a time and within a couple uses the pumps sound like they are going to die, within a month or two they aren't pumping as fast as they were and within six months of normal use they aren't moving refrigerant.

On a medium sized install we send 20 pumps, if we are lucky 10 work at the end of the install. We're looking for a better option...any ideas?

This got lost in the chat about equipping a mechanic. Any ideas?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No ideas myself, but you could also ask in the thread about A/C, might get a useful response:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473368

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

It isn't really a tool but it can make some jobs easier.

Permatex makes a sealant called The Right Stuff. It comes in an aerosol type can with an applicator tip. It comes out in a perfect uninterrupted bead. The best part is that it is really sticky and will definitely hold your gasket in place while you are maneuvering your replacement part into place.

It is like $20 for a can, but it works great. The can is pretty big. The label says it can be used for gaskets that will be exposed to oil or coolant.

Wear gloves when using.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

PBCrunch posted:

Permatex makes a sealant called The Right Stuff. It comes in an aerosol type can with an applicator tip. It comes out in a perfect uninterrupted bead. The best part is that it is really sticky and will definitely hold your gasket in place while you are maneuvering your replacement part into place.

May have to try that out, I do like the aerosol idea. Did you find it local or have to order it? Permatex generally makes some pretty good stuff.

Kind of the opposite, but any recommendations for a solvent or specific chemical for removing gasket material?

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

velocross posted:

Kind of the opposite, but any recommendations for a solvent or specific chemical for removing gasket material?

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-angle-die-grinder-32046.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is how you ruin aluminum blocks and heads.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, that's a great way to wreck aluminum. Some stuff about removing gaskets:
* start by hosing it with non chlorinated brakleen. This seems to soften most RTV and gaskets/sealants at least a bit, and honestly, everything should be hosed with brakleen before attempting anything that resembles "work".
* aluminum parts - drag a razor blade gasket scraper, don't push or you'll gouge the poo poo out of the part if you are as bad about finesse as I am.
* steel/iron parts - scrape the poo poo out of it with that razor blade! You aren't going to damage it.
* eye part suspiciously. Hose it with brakleen again just to make sure.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
If all else fails, I've got a special scraper that takes just about anything off.

Including steel.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008
You guys know that they make different kinds of abrasives for your die grinder, right?

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I just picked up a set of these for scraping head gasket remnants off of my aluminum SVX block. Hopefully they'll do the trick.

Also grabbed this 60 piece Torx assortment since I seem to keep bumping into those stupid E-torx bolts on my BMW. I have no tools to work with these, and couldn't find anything except a basic set of wrenches locally. I had to remove one of the cams in my motor a couple weeks ago, and it was held in with e-torx. I had to go to Home Depot, and all they had that would fit was a set of "universal style" standard wrenches, which I was forced to use for that job.

That said, the set is actually really comprehensive, and appears to be of very good quality. Of course some of it is redundant for me since I had the standard torx and even some of the "security" torx bits already, but I guess it never hurts to have spares or fuckoff huge sizes that I probably won't encounter in my lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

penis bandana posted:

You guys know that they make different kinds of abrasives for your die grinder, right?

Is this directed at me?

Yes, I am aware that they make more than one type of abrasive. The problem isn't with type, it's with abrasives period. That's not how it should be done. Plastic scrapers and chemical help followed by razor blades if necessary is how you do it without risk of damage.