Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
He's going to be on the new Caustic 7" as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah, I didn't know Rodney was really into any of that kind of music because I haven't read his blog for years. It really explains the cover, the Assemblage 23 shirt he was wearing, and handing out Aesthetic Perfection CDs and shouting "see them hear June 26th."

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
For those of you who care about the Infest lineup, there appears to be Facebook poll set up by the organisers for who they should attempt to replace KMFDM with. I'm hoping for anyone who isn't Atari Teenage Riot basically.

I am really liking this remix of a Mari Chrome track at the moment. I'm not as keen on this other track that's on Youtube and the prospect of their debut album being on Alfa Matrix with covers of New Order and The Cure really doesn't fill me with hope. Still, here's hoping they exceed my expectations!

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Furret Basket posted:

I've never heard of a Stromkern track called Ruin(ed). Ruin, yes. Is it a previously unreleased remix? If so does that mean Stromkern are still stromming? Because I miss them dearly.
It's from a new(ish) EP called Dead Letters. They're back in action.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
So I did this last night at Kinetik.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Right the gently caress on.

edit: wow, you were opening for them? Did nachtmahr or combichrist respond in any way, publicly or privately?

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 18, 2012

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

You're pretty awesome. On a similar note, there's a Side-Line forum post somewhere that, if I remember rightly, is someone from a certain terror EBM type band who are getting more popular seemingly not realising (perhaps trolling, perhaps not) why people might find it offensive if they sample a famous speech made by a prominent Nazi.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 18, 2012

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah this owns. Can't watch the video yet as I'm on my phone but huge props for taking a stand like this!

boo_radley posted:

Right the gently caress on.

edit: wow, you were opening for them? Did nachtmahr or combichrist respond in any way, publicly or privately?

They've now updated the article with Andy's and Thomas's answers. I actually respect Andy a tiny bit more now than I did before as he seems to be pretty honest about it and doesn't approve of people taking his Combichrist act to heart, but Rainer still sounds like a wanker.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In a racist and sexist society, racism and sexism are not rebellion; they are the reenactment of the values of the larger society. It's really heartening to see musicians in the scene speaking out against it.

Combichrist is supposed to be a character? Seriously? Either I'm horribly imperceptive or that's a terrible excuse. The comparison to Johnny the Homicidal Maniac in the ID:UD comments is hilarious given that JtHM contains self-criticism in the loving text and the creator is fairly clear that you're not supposed to like the protagonist, even having him explicitly yell that at a stand-in for idiot audience members.

Meanwhile, the guy from Nachtmahr still thinks swastikas look cool, to borrow a phrase, so gently caress him.

Bravo, Twiin.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Combichrist seems like a satire, honestly. It's not really reenactment of the values of the larger society when you're exaggerating the hell out of those values to the point where they become ridiculous.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

WickedIcon posted:

Combichrist seems like a satire, honestly. It's not really reenactment of the values of the larger society when you're exaggerating the hell out of those values to the point where they become ridiculous.
I think it's cool that Twiin called them out. They deserves to be ridiculed. I've never cared for Combichrist and never even heard of Nachtmahr.

That said, it's "art". lovely art that I don't agree with, but that's the point of having the discussion. I think it's only "bad" to have crap like those bands if they can act with impunity. I'm actually shocked by LaPlegua's reaction. He took it well. And he has a pretty fair point.

If we go further we run into a Slayer/KMFDM/Marilyn Manson/Nine Inch Nails/etc. situation.

edit: thought about it some more, and I kind of missed the point eventually... it's the violence (against women, and what the confederate flag symbolises) that are really the issues and are the problem. Those examples I offered are far more abstract than that when they touch upon vaguely similar subjects. It's a pretty appropriate place to draw a line.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 19, 2012

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Last I heard 卐 LOL HITLER 卐 Is still kinda edgy in Germany.

I always thought the misogyny in combichrist was some kind of BDSM reference, that's what happens when you only half digest lyrics though I guess.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Seriously, well done with that. You've picked a great way to start an important conversation, and executed it perfectly.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Jose Mengelez posted:

Last I heard 卐 LOL HITLER 卐 Is still kinda edgy in Germany.

I always thought the misogyny in combichrist was some kind of BDSM reference, that's what happens when you only half digest lyrics though I guess.

There's a genre-spanning label for this stuff, rechtsrock in Germany. For a comprehensive and academic view of martial industrial and neo-folk music and its common intersection with fascism, cultural intolerance and neo-nationalism, I refer you to Anton Shekhovtsov's article Apoliteic music: Neo-Folk, Martial Industrial and "metapolitical fascism", Patterns of Prejudice, 43:5, 431-457

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Social equality is all well and good but I think we're glossing over a much bigger issue within the scene. When is somebody finally going to make a stand against those stupid little-rear end tophats?

Pope Guilty posted:

Meanwhile, the guy from Nachtmahr still thinks swastikas look cool, to borrow a phrase, so gently caress him.

first time I saw him I thought "wow, skrillex got fat."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

boo_radley posted:

There's a genre-spanning label for this stuff, rechtsrock in Germany. For a comprehensive and academic view of martial industrial and neo-folk music and its common intersection with fascism, cultural intolerance and neo-nationalism, I refer you to Anton Shekhovtsov's article Apoliteic music: Neo-Folk, Martial Industrial and "metapolitical fascism", Patterns of Prejudice, 43:5, 431-457

And for a lot more information that you probably wanted on fascists playing industrial/neofolk/martial industrial/apoliteic/etc, the blog Who Makes the Nazis? contains a LOT of long-form writing on the topic.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Thanks for the support, dudes and dude-ettes. Andy was pretty cool about it all backstage, honestly. He said he agrees with my point that it doesn't really matter if he's not trying to be sexist if women are taking it that way.

Thomas / Nachtmahr hasn't even so much as looked in my direction since. He played right after I did, and honestly when he came out with two nachtmahr fascist cheerleader girls with fake blood on them you could have heard a pin drop. It wasn't a good show for him.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Twiin posted:

Thomas / Nachtmahr hasn't even so much as looked in my direction since. He played right after I did, and honestly when he came out with two nachtmahr fascist cheerleader girls with fake blood on them you could have heard a pin drop. It wasn't a good show for him.

Please tell me video exists of this.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Twiin posted:

That's like doing a video saying kraftwerk looked like autistic sex offenders and then covenant sheepishly walk onstage.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Twiin posted:

As a lover of the comedy of awkwardness, I can't stop laughing at this.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

As a lover of the comedy of awkwardness, I can't stop laughing at this.

Yeah, nice work man. I've never heard of Nachtmahr prior to seeing the PSA video but the hell with him from those dumbass album covers alone.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Twiin posted:

YEsssss.

Apparently IDYD did a lengthier interview with Rainer as well and they'll be posting it later. I honestly can't wait to see what that wanker has to say.

PS. Have I mentioned I hate Thomas Rainer?

PPS. I hate Thomas Rainer

PPPS. L'Ame Immortelle sucks too

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
I'm interested in hearing if Rainer has a decent response for his material. Industrial music from the very beginning has borrowed a lot of fascist imagery, but he isn't using a few themes to get a little rise out of people or make them think about something he's dancing about in his my little fuhrer costume.

At least Andy mentions that some people can take his material to heart and he doesn't think that is a good thing.

It was incredibly brave of you to do this, especially since you're in a position to lose a lot when you're opening for two fairly big acts at a festival. Don't let any of the negative responses you see and hear about this get you down, you're a pretty talented musician and you're using your platform to do the right thing.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
JWZ comments and calls CC "brodustrial", which is pretty amusing.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
"Brodustrial" is apt as gently caress.

cheapandugly posted:

Don't let any of the negative responses you see and hear about this get you down.

I don't think there's been one yet? Might as well get the ball rolling...

The only negative thing I could think of is it's a little patronizing in tone. The "somali cunts" part reminded me of those "you wouldn't steal a handbag" anti piracy PSAs. It's also funny that you picked throbbing gristle as a counterpoint in a rant about facistic imagery.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Jose Mengelez posted:

The only negative thing I could think of is it's a little patronizing in tone. The "somali cunts" part reminded me of those "you wouldn't steal a handbag" anti piracy PSAs. It's also funny that you picked throbbing gristle as a counterpoint in a rant about facistic imagery.

I hear what you're saying about the somali/feminist part, but I feel like the comparison is solid, given that the point of that bit is to show how completely unacceptable that kind of language should be when targeted at any group.

Also, I didn't complain about fascist imagery. I complained about racist and sexist imagery.

Also also, the only person who has come up to me in person to say they didn't agree with what I did was talking about how the photos of WWII gas chambers seem 'suspicious' within four minutes flat.

Twiin fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 20, 2012

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

Jose Mengelez posted:

I don't think there's been one yet?

I meant in the comments on the article. Everyone here seems pretty supportive.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Twiin posted:

Also, I didn't complain about fascist imagery. I complained about racist and sexist imagery.

Fair enough, I tend to conflate the two.

quote:

Also also, the only person who has come up to me in person to say they didn't agree with what I did was talking about how the photos of WWII gas chambers seem 'suspicious' within four minutes flat.

The best you can hope for is that he was motivated by a combination of just world fallacy and ignorance as opposed to being a literal nazi but jesus christ that's loving depressing either way.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Some of Faderhead's tracks are pretty appalling for misogyny and make me uncomfortable hearing them in a club.

Anyway, I was completely unaware that Erica from Unter Null had another project called Stray. I kinda like the sound of these tracks from the new album

http://youtu.be/qslX_Ef8E3U

http://youtu.be/pfb-uEMg9HU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Some of Faderhead's tracks are pretty appalling for misogyny and make me uncomfortable hearing them in a club.

I was going to say, if there's a poster child for "brodustrial," it would be Faderhead. I never understood why that got played in clubs that cater to industrial... it literally sounds just like regular, standard non-industrial club music to me.

As for Combichrist, I never got into them... something about there music reminds me of arena rock, like KISS or something. I never heard nachtmahr, but that dude is such a wannabe nazi I don't understand how anyone in Europe could look at that and not feel *incredibly* uncomfortable.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

And for a lot more information that you probably wanted on fascists playing industrial/neofolk/martial industrial/apoliteic/etc, the blog Who Makes the Nazis? contains a LOT of long-form writing on the topic.

Read a few of these articles. Went to discogs and removed all of the Death in June, Sol Invictus and Muslimgauze from my wantlist, and feel pretty loving uncomfortable with the stuff I own.

Trent Saburo
Jun 10, 2004

you have slow

cheapandugly posted:

Read a few of these articles. Went to discogs and removed all of the Death in June, Sol Invictus and Muslimgauze from my wantlist, and feel pretty loving uncomfortable with the stuff I own.

PM me if you end up selling any cool records.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
You shouldn't listen to Death in June because it's terrible, boring music. The dude hasn't evolved as a musician in a 3 decade long career to be even minimally competent.

Sol Invictus and Muslimgauze are pretty good though. Bryn Jones was an abhorrent orientalist but he's also dead as gently caress.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

cheapandugly posted:

I thought Muslimgauze was vocally anti-Zionist rather than anti-Semitic? While the two positions are often portrayed as the same in the media and particularly in the US, they really aren't.

If, of course, he was actually a raging anti-Semite, then I stand corrected. And don't really want to get into this kind of political argument here!

LabyaMynora posted:

I never heard nachtmahr, but that dude is such a wannabe nazi I don't understand how anyone in Europe could look at that and not feel *incredibly* uncomfortable.

There are a some of the European neo-folk/martial industrial artists who have a strong far-right aesthetic. Or at least used to, since it was friends who used to be into that scene rather than myself. I've seen people wearing (relatively discrete, but certainly noticeable if you knew what to look for) Nazi-related emblems in Germany at festivals, unfortunately.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I thought Muslimgauze was vocally anti-Zionist rather than anti-Semitic? While the two positions are often portrayed as the same in the media and particularly in the US, they really aren't.

If, of course, he was actually a raging anti-Semite, then I stand corrected. And don't really want to get into this kind of political argument here!

I don't think Jones ever said anything blatant like "I hate Jews" but his attitudes toward Israelis and Israel was really nasty and reductive in a way that you could easily see as going beyond just an opposition to the occupation of Palestine. That said, if you are worried about the political content of your music I think the fetishized Islamophilia of Muslimgauze is probably more harmful than his anti-Zionism. Even though it's pro-Muslim it's still reiterating a lot of the same images and stereotypes of Islam that circulate in anti-Muslim discourse.

There's a fairly interesting blog post on Muslimgauze here that's both very friendly to the music and also brings out some of the more questionable aspects of his approach: http://www.bidoun.org/magazine/11-failure/muslin-gaze-by-jace-clayton/

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Damnit, I haven't touched the internet for days, I reeally want to see this

but it's 404ing for me. :(

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Furret Basket posted:

Damnit, I haven't touched the internet for days, I reeally want to see this

but it's 404ing for me. :(

Looks like they updated the article, changing the url.
http://www.idieyoudie.com/2012/05/kinetik-update-2012-ad%C2%B7ver%C2%B7sarys-performance/

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Welp, thank you very much for doing that Twiin. You're doing a public service for sure.

Weird how Andy LaPlegua seems to be a reasonable human being in his response. I expected him to be a little bit of a baby about it.

Unsprising that Thomas Rainer is a piece of poo poo though.

quote:

:lol: gently caress this genre sometimes.

"Robert"
May 24, 2001

The Go-To Guy for Kitten Pics

cheapandugly posted:

how did you come to own death in june and sol invictus records in the first place :psyduck:

Pope Guilty posted:

who makes the nazis is like 95% bad stewart home aping/searchlight-style WE FOUND ONE! GET HIM and 5% dudes like shekhovtsov or griffin that actually have an interesting perspective on the topic :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Digging for stuff related to Coil and Throbbing Gristle (two of my absolute favorites), found out they came from the ashes of Crisis, another band I really enjoy.