Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
How is Amazon for ordering vinyl? I have $120 in store credit left and have a few purchases in mind. I'd rather support local stores if possible, but I'm having some trouble finding things like Minus the Bear and Bear in Heaven in Pittsburgh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

:unsmigghh:

You, sir, are evil. I quickly thought "well I did just apply for 5 jobs today...I should reward myself." BUT NO I will be strong. Also I'm going to Yamantaka//Sonic Titan tonight and who knows what awesome stuff they will have for me to buy at the show!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Schremp Howard posted:

How is Amazon for ordering vinyl? I have $120 in store credit left and have a few purchases in mind. I'd rather support local stores if possible, but I'm having some trouble finding things like Minus the Bear and Bear in Heaven in Pittsburgh.

They've always done good by me. They have new LP shipping boxes that are about on par with most other distros' shipping boxes.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Schremp Howard posted:

You need to move to a bear friendly city, man.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Blendy posted:

You, sir, are evil. I quickly thought "well I did just apply for 5 jobs today...I should reward myself." BUT NO I will be strong. Also I'm going to Yamantaka//Sonic Titan tonight and who knows what awesome stuff they will have for me to buy at the show!

Holy crap that rules. They've been touring with motherfuckin' Xiu Xiu.

That would be one bad rear end show, goddamn.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
New Birthmark album is out on limited white 180g vinyl. For one thing, the album is really good, and totally lovely, for for another thing, check out the cover art:

Beautiful (I have a major soft spot for birds, and white records)! It's on Polyvinyl. Definitely check it out.

In other news, I decided to count my records today for the first time since starting my collection this time last year. I have over 100. That's a bit of a shock to me, since I was sure I only had like 80 at the most. Probably time to start NOT buying every cool new release that I like. ;)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Also, Polyvinyl's Record Store Day releases are up on the site as well.

Time to get me some sweet, sweet Starfucker demos.

also also Use the coupon code 'UTR' to get a 10 percent discount!

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 19, 2012

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Just ordered the deluxe edition of mewithoutYou's Ten Stories. I'm in love with that album.

I have a few download codes available if anyone want's to give it a try.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
Stopped by the record store on my way home for work and noticed that 4 Men With Beards had reissued Gene Clark's No Other, an all-time unfuckwithably great album. Rad, huh? Well, when I took it up front, however, the clerk took one look at it and went "Oh, I think we still have an original pressing of that," disappears to go find it, and comes back with a loving PRISTINE copy of the very first pressing on Asylum (with the poster and everything!) for like five more dollars; needless to say it's filed away on my shelves right now. Ever since that record became a hipster touchstone a few years ago (deservedly so, I might add) I've never even seen a lovely, beat-up original pressing, so I'm absolutely ecstatic with how this worked out.

Now if only my Captured Tracks RSD Ridiculous Person With More Money Than Sense bundle would show up...

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
So I ended up purchasing the turntable I posted about on the last page. This has left me with a bunch of questions and I'm wondering if I should return it. I am also fairly new and stupid to this vinyl business.

1. There's no anti-skate. From doing some reading I'm led to believe that *should* be OK because the arm is straight. Is this true or am I going to be putting uneven wear on my records?

2. Whenever I hear a pop on this table it's WAY louder than the music itself. This didn't happen on the $99 table and I'm playing the same albums that I was yesterday. I'm not sure what to make of this.

Did I screw and buy a bum/the wrong table here?

Sexy Randal fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 19, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Well it finally happened. I got the new Best Coast LP and there is a locked groove... in between two songs. Like, in a way, it's the best place for that to happen, but it is also really annoying. That means I basically have to change sides 3 times.

Hipster problems, I say. Hipster problems.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Someone on reddit is liquidating their huge Blood Brothers collection, I just got Young Machetes on orange. ~350 pressed.

Now off to my favorite goodwill. Love Saturdays.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

traveling midget posted:

Trading some RSD stuff I have buyer's remorse on and some misc older stuff.

My Discogs

Heady Fwends, opened to check the version (Dr Who), green/brown splatter. I'll take a pic if I have a serious interest.

I missed out on Heady Fwends. I'd gladly take it off your hands.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

cheese eats mouse posted:

I missed out on Heady Fwends. I'd gladly take it off your hands.

Trade? Have a discogs for me to browse?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Went to a record fair this morning and picked up a heap of ELO with some ABBA, Bowie and Genesis on the side

Also got this:

It's the original UK issue with the textured sleeve and besides the spine wear I imagine it's probably as close to mint as a 40 year old record could be

VVV Sorry I thought it'd be easy, it's Meddle by Pink Floyd

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 20, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Sorry, but what record is that? I can't make out the text on the label.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

david puddy posted:

Went to a record fair this morning and picked up a heap of ELO with some ABBA, Bowie and Genesis on the side

Also got this:

It's the original UK issue with the textured sleeve and besides the spine wear I imagine it's probably as close to mint as a 40 year old record could be

VVV Sorry I thought it'd be easy, it's Meddle by Pink Floyd

That's an awesome find. I don't come across the pre-Dark Side material much, so I always snatch them up if I see them. A couple weeks back I picked up a copy of Obscured By Clouds.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

CPL593H posted:

That's an awesome find. I don't come across the pre-Dark Side material much, so I always snatch them up if I see them. A couple weeks back I picked up a copy of Obscured By Clouds.

The place I got this from has MINT copies of Obscured by Clouds and Atom Heart Mother, I might go get them soon but they're like $50-60 each :(

edit: they also had a copy of Meddle which was pretty good that wasn't the textured one, but it had an EMI logo on the front so I splurged for the original

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 20, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david puddy posted:

The place I got this from has MINT copies of Obscured by Clouds and Atom Heart Mother, I might go get them soon but they're like $50-60 each :(

edit: they also had a copy of Meddle which was pretty good that wasn't the textured one, but it had an EMI logo on the front so I splurged for the original

I had no idea those two albums fetch that much. Are those for UK pressings? My copy of Obscured has the Harvest label but I think it's a US pressing. It's got the "Mastered by Capitol" stamp in the dead wax.

I got my copy of Obscured By Clouds for free (with a few other things) because I traded in a bunch of albums I had doubles of. It's not a NM though. It's got a few crackles here and there. But it'll do until the unlikely event I come across a better copy. I also bought a copy of More from a goon a while back for ten bucks. I'd like someday to own original mono pressings of the first two albums but I'm not holding my breath on that. The one time I saw an original mono Saucerful of Secrets in a store it was 80 bucks. I've yet to come across the Piper at the Gates. I did manage to pick up the double LP reissue (A Nice Pair) of those from the 70s.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

CPL593H posted:

I had no idea those two albums fetch that much. Are those for UK pressings?

No clue, I didn't check them too closely after I saw the price tag. I live in Australia so there is huge markup on records to the point where it is normal to pay $40-50 for a readily available reissue of a popular abum (I got the newest DSOTM reissue for $32 but it was tagged at $45)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david puddy posted:

No clue, I didn't check them too closely after I saw the price tag. I live in Australia so there is huge markup on records to the point where it is normal to pay $40-50 for a readily available reissue of a popular abum (I got the newest DSOTM reissue for $32 but it was tagged at $45)

Holy balls those are some ridiculous prices. I guess it explains why I was suprised at how much those two Floyd albums were going for. I think at most Atom Heart Mother tends to go for 15-20 bucks or something. At first I figured it only sounded expensive due to the differing currencies, but then I looked it up and the AUD and USD are pretty much equal. And I thought I was spending way too much money on records. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

To be fair, even in the States those new Floyd reissues are overpriced. I think they're selling for around 30 dollars.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 20, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Holy balls those are some ridiculous prices. I guess it explains why I was suprised at how much those two Floyd albums were going for. I think at most Atom Heart Mother tends to go for 15-20 bucks or something. At first I figured it only sounded expensive due to the differing currencies, but then I looked it up and the AUD and USD are pretty much equal. And I thought I was spending way too much money on records. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

New release CDs are between $20 and $30 here :eng99:
The worst thing is it's just as expensive to order a record from overseas because most people charge $20-$30 shipping, so it's really probably a dumb thing for me to collect
\/\/\/ Those look like good stores, thanks for the tip

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 20, 2012

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

david puddy posted:

New release CDs are between $20 and $30 here :eng99:
The worst thing is it's just as expensive to order a record from overseas because most people charge $20-$30 shipping, so it's really probably a dumb thing for me to collect

Check for sellers called Rarewaves and importcds-au on ebay. Their record prices are cheap and shipping is like $4 or so to Australia :)

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Thanks for the heads up. The second hand trade here is fairly healthy, but yeah new releases are a rip-off.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Yeah, I mainly pick-up second hand stuff in my local record store. Those sellers are great for general new records and reissues. I'm so used to being gouged on shipping it's refreshing when I'm not.

thebigpicture
Nov 14, 2007
Should have posted this earlier, but for BOSTON area vinyl junkies, there is a big vinyl sale in JP (not my event):

Jamaica Plain Vinyl Yard Sale & Record Swap 2012

Sunday, May 20, 2012 (TODAY)
11:00am until 3:00pm

630 Centre St. Jamaica Plain 02130

Back again and for the last time ever at this location! Join us as we say goodbye to the JP Swap as we have known it in grand style, with a whole roster of sellers dealing vinyl in all genres, all styles, all prices. Thousands of records, LPs, 12", 45s, many as cheap as a... dollar and plenty of rarities for higher rates that will still beat any eBay prices you collectors are accustomed to! This is THE Boston record event of the year, with dealers not seen at any other shows selling awesome records from their own collections. The idea is to have fun, no crustiness allowed, and beer will be available for those of legal age. DO NOT MISS THIS!

https://www.facebook.com/events/410227928995562/

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

traveling midget posted:

Trade? Have a discogs for me to browse?

I don't really have anything to trade. I'll give you cash though. :)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

cheese eats mouse posted:

I don't really have anything to trade. I'll give you cash though. :)

[redacted] @ gmail - email an offer

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 25, 2013

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Some new treats arrived...

A bit of horror...

and a bit of heaven.

I wasn't too sold on the Whitehouse, since I'm not really familiar with them beyond a couple of super fun harsh noise tracks, but the price was right at $4. The Godspeed record is one of my favorite albums of all time, when I listen to it I'm overwhelmed with joy.

That copy of Meddle was an amazing find David Puddy, I haven't seen many records that old look that good.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

cheapandugly posted:

That copy of Meddle was an amazing find David Puddy, I haven't seen many records that old look that good.

Yeah I am pretty pleased, the spine is pretty worn though and it has a name written on the inside of the gatefold/side A sticker. Also does anyone know anything about matrix numbers? Meddle has 795A - 1U and seems to have pretty much exactly the same info as this listing (edit: also this and this and this popsike one). Is it worth more than the $38 I paid for it?

(also i love gy!be and am always looking for just ordered a cheap copy of F♯A♯∞ for $24 inc. shipping :woop:)

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 22, 2012

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

cheapandugly posted:

and a bit of heaven.

My wife got me that for our anniversary, I didn't know what it was at first from looking at the cover, then I figured out what it was and I too was in heaven. Godspeed really lends itself well to vinyl listening.

Nosferatu Man
Nov 10, 2008
I just received Danny Brown's XXX in the mail the other day. It is pressed to white vinyl, looks really good and comes with the lyrics in the liner notes. But.. and to anyone who bought the album as well, do you relate?.. it sounds so off on wax. I've got a lot of other hip hop albums, and this is the first one that seems to lose a lot of flavor in the translation.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

cheapandugly posted:

Some new treats arrived...

A bit of horror...

and a bit of heaven.

I wasn't too sold on the Whitehouse, since I'm not really familiar with them beyond a couple of super fun harsh noise tracks, but the price was right at $4. The Godspeed record is one of my favorite albums of all time, when I listen to it I'm overwhelmed with joy.

Where the gently caress did you find a Whitehouse album for $4??

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Where the gently caress did you find a Whitehouse album for $4??

Where all hipsters buy their Whitehouse albums, at Best Buy.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Found it on Redscroll Records' discogs page. I'd say I got at least $5-6 worth of enjoyment out of it, can't imagine throwing it on at a party.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Utah goons:

http://www.thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/beck-blue-series-single

quote:

Inspired by the title of "Blue Randy," an extremely limited run of 100 Tri Color 7-inches will be available beginning 10am on Saturday June 2nd at Randy’s Records at 157 East 900 South in Salt Lake City. An even scarcer scattering of 50 Tri Colors will be randomly inserted in mail orders for the single placed through our online store.

I will definitely be picking one of these up. Maybe two!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

MokBa posted:

Utah goons:

http://www.thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/beck-blue-series-single

I will definitely be picking one of these up. Maybe two!

If you get me one I'll happily compensate you. With money.

Jack White hates Europe.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

If you get me one I'll happily compensate you. With money.

Jack White hates Europe.

I don't know how it works at the alternate locations, but usually when they sell tri-colors or special limited edition discs it's a one per-customer thing. But as always the standard black discs will be readily available through the website. In any case it's awesome to see Beck put out something new.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I don't know how it works at the alternate locations, but usually when they sell tri-colors or special limited edition discs it's a one per-customer thing. But as always the standard black discs will be readily available through the website. In any case it's awesome to see Beck put out something new.

I'll probably end up getting a black copy, especially seeing as they won't do any Vault Singles Packages anymore (the last one was a pretty terrific send-off though). But if someone is in the position to get an extra tri-colour copy for me, it never hurts to ask v :) v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Well we'll see. Despite being the biggest record store in Utah, this is still Utah after all. Those 150 copies aren't going to fly off the shelf in a day. But if it's one per customer, maybe I'll just have my girlfriend be a second customer (unless she wants her own copy).