Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The company was just a scam to gather investor funds to build a robot, which is also why the robot ends up doing most of the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

TwoPair posted:

That kinda disappoints me. I was hoping the kid inherited the money and the company and blew it all on building his own giant robot. That's sure as hell what I'd do if I became a billionaire as a child. Well, and if I lived in a world where giant robots were a thing that seemingly everybody has.

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's kind of funny if you think that Watta's old man spent most of the company's money to fund the construction of Trider G7, and with most of the company's assets invested in that robot, the rest of the company is barely getting along, and then he decides it's a great idea to dump the company and the robot on his son at the company's current financial state. I don't recall anybody mentioning that Trider G7 was actually used before Watta took over Takeo General Company, either.
Where is our Robot Alchemic Drive Let's Play?
Chairman! It's not a Robot, It's a Meganite!

The Volgara as enemies would piss off SO many Real's

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 11, 2012

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Amuro is best known for piloting a white devil and fighting for justice and equality between new- and oldtypes. :colbert:

I don't think Amuro fought for anyone's rights, even his own in any show or movie.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Yeah, in the first show in which he appears his major goal seems to be 'try not to die', and his motivation in Zeta is 'the Titans are dicks'.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

vdate posted:

Yeah, in the first show in which he appears his major goal seems to be 'try not to die', and his motivation in Zeta is 'the Titans are dicks'.
At least those are still good goals to have.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Bringing Trider up to speed and the Shuttle up to less-dying-ness.

As the chapter begins proper, a young man named Takeru Myojin is having a nightmare. An evil voice is calling him Mars, the son of Zuul, Emperor of Planet Gishin, and telling him to destroy the Earth, for it is too dangerous to exist. "Gaia" is the key...

Takeru reacts to the strange vision with horror, exactly as you'd expect, so Emperor Zuul floods his mind with pain and warns him that no one disobeys the will of Zuul and lives.

Back in good old Japan, Takeru and Taigauchi are affirming their companies' new partnership as fellow Crusher contractors.

Taigauchi feels close to Watta, and not just as colleagues - he was old friends and partners with Ohtsuka and the senior Takeo. The employees of 21st and Takeo (and Crowe, for some reason) chat about Watta inheriting the company and the robot from his father. He even learned to pilot from his old man and got a special age-excepted pilot license. Once again, Crowe is a little bitter at what his own dad left him as inheritance.

The members of PR Division 2 join the meeting, and Akagi meets Watta face to face for the first time. The PRD2 ladies all agree, Watta may be a little kid but he's definitely the more mature one. The employees of Takeo General and PR Division 2 formally introduce themselves to each other.

On Takeo's side, people we already know - Director Umemaro Kakekouji, operations director Tetsuo Osui, sales clerk Touhachiro Kinoshita, and general administrative manager and chief snacks executive Ikue Sunabara.

PR Division 2 is led by section chief Haruo Ohsugi and his assistant Shinya Yokozawa.

And staffed by business manager Tomoyoshi Ishizuka, PR planning manager, Tomoro Taguchi, and international PR manager Hirotaka Ijuin. Crowe: "Are they over 300 kilograms all together? How'd they manage that?"

Being a Japanese enterprise, 21st also employs several "office ladies," and that is approximately as sexist as it sounds. PR Division 2's are Noriko Ooyama, Chiaki Nakahara, Shizuka Irie, and Fuuka Tanigawa.

Needless to say, this is a game about giant robots punching each other out, so none of these people will ever affect the plot, but I thought it was funny that 21st has sections that can fit entire Takeo General Companies inside them. (I'm pretty sure Takeo's entire business model is "We have a super robot! Ask us anything!")

Watta does not understand Tanigawa's look. I daresay most people don't.

Ibuki and Aoyama are okay with piloting Dai-Guard, they guess. The Dai-Guard project is a contract between 21st and the UN, and it helps no one if the machine doesn't work for lack of pilots. But they're still not into it like Akagi is, and he's alone in being excited to stick his neck out for peace and justice and all that heroic jazz.

They're due back at the Izu camp, but Kouji, if you'll remember, isn't there with them - he's staying at the Kurogane bathhouse in Atami. This means that Ankokuji and Shiro can enjoy the hot baths whenever. Ankokuji is staying with Kouji to act as a bodyguard, because this Kouji is not quite badass yet, and he's pretty vulnerable outside of Mazinger.

That said, his job is very easy, because the Kurogane bathhouse is also guarded by a team of five genuine badasses. For instance, Cross has taken on forty fighters by himself at once. The Master's past is one big mystery, but he's a well-known master at cooking - and even better at the blade arts. And to amp up the mystery, all these guys? They're supposed to be long dead.

Yet there they are, and Yasu "the Weasel" denies all rumors of his demise. He doesn't want to talk about why he's a bathhouse assistant, but he's quite willing to gossip about his partners in crime. For instance, Django, the gunslinger that, of all the weird characters here who don't look like they belong in a bath house, is probably the weirdest. Django is the bathhouse's receptionist, of all things, but his real job is to "take care of" people who cross the bathhouse.

Meanwhile, Kouji is training with what might just be the most dangerous of the five...

No, not Tsubasa. He's just questioning her about what she knows about his grandpa, Mazinger, and Ashura, and she still refuses to answer - no, not until he learns to pilot Mazinger properly, and just playing with some Mechabeasts isn't good enough. She offers her terms: she'll tell him, and even respect him, if he can win a challenge. The challenge: touch the shoulder of old Okiku, the last and scariest of the gang of five.

This is Kouji's training, and he can't even get close to the lady after trying for a straight hour. This is the scene Crowe walks in on, making fun of Kouji for being so soundly trounced by an old lady. Kouji invites him to try, then, but Crowe doesn't play with girls - no matter how old they are, they're all the same. Crowe has some issues, I think.

Anyway, the reason Crowe stopped by is to bring Kouji his "piloting coaches"...

Shunsuke Akagi and Watta Takeo?! They both have more experience than Kouji, it's true - Watta's been piloting for ages and Akagi served time in the Defense Corps. Crowe, Akagi, and Watta all agree with Tsubasa: Kouji is piloting wild, relying on Mazinger's specs to pull him through, and that has to change if he's going to take on stronger enemies. Crowe, the only Crusher to have received formal piloting training, is in charge of this program - officially, because he's actually contracted it with Ohtsuka for pocket money.

Ohtsuka arrives to introduce the original Crushers, the crew of the assault jet somewhat unfortunately named the Cosmo Crusher. There's the captain Kenji, the gunner Naoto, the comm and radar operator Mika, and the pilot Akira.

Finally, a familiar face - Takeru, the craft's second gunner. That's all the Crushers for now, and they'll be in our company for a while. The Crushers were doing some regular investigation on the asteroids, since they've been oddities ever since the Great Dimensional Quake.

Crowe makes a little joke - "Find any secret alien bases?" - that gets Takeru all in a panic.

Ohtsuka is about to go into more detail, but the Crushers receive a notice that an unidentified flying object is dropping over Japan! Ohtsuka confesses that the Crushers' real mission wasn't routine data gathering, but investigation of strange UFOs that have been appearing around the asteroids of late. Captain Kenji volunteers to scout ahead and see what the noise is about while the rest of the Crushers prepare for deployment.

Chapter 6: A Power Awakens
(Japan route)

The Cosmo Crusher approaches ground zero. The Crushers aren't reading any bogeys, but Takeru is still zoned out, thinking about that dream. The other Crushers chew him out for being a scaredy-cat.

The mysterious craft arrive on the scene, and they're definitely alien in origin.

They fire on the Cosmo Crusher. All hands to battle stations!

To score the SR point is a simple matter of clearing the entire map in five turns - but within my phase of the fifth.

It was nice of the aliens to send all these planes to build Will on.

Cosmo Crusher (Kenji Asuka, Naoto Ijuin, Akira Kisou, Mika Hyuga, Takeru Myojin)
Skills
Offensive Support L2
Counter L4
Will+ (Hit)
Spirits
(Kenji)
Focus
Guard
(Naoto)
Snipe
(Akira)
Vigor
(Mika)
Scan
Trust
(Takeru)
Vigor
Traits
Jamming Unit
Ace Bonus: Accuracy +15%. Evasion +15%.

The Crusher is actually a second-tier combat unit. It has a series of Spirit pools which make it a fair mobile gun platform, as well as Offensive Support and a jammer to help units around it hit and dodge. It has no real finisher to speak of, but its Triple Laser attack is all right; it ignores barriers and fatness, but because it requires the Crushers to work together, it has a Will requirement.

By the way, notice how other than Kenji, the main pilot, all the Crushers have a reduced Spirit list of four - except Takeru.

Since we want to push pretty hard in the first bit of the chapter before the other Crushers show up, Kenji should go right into the middle of the enemy and try to score all the counters he can.

His base dodge is pretty good, especially considering his enemies are planes, known in SRW for being fast and annoying (his Ace bonus is certainly helping). And this is before Focus, which he has a couple of rounds of.

Now we lie in wait.

After a couple of fights, Kenji's Will is high enough to trust Akira and Naoto to perform the Triple Laser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEoBeJRPKKE

The background music they're using is "Battle Choir," the Super Robot Wars Z generic combat theme for combats without a theme.

After one more kill...

Takeru offers to take the Crusher 3 and break up the enemy formation.

Instead, he gets shot down.

But at that moment, a mysterious robot appears from Myojin Reef...

and absorbs Takeru into itself just as the jet explodes!

A voice from inside the robot says that "Gaia is controlled by Mars' brainwaves." Takeru realizes that Gaia must be the name of the robot, but Mars is what the voice from the dream called him...

The new Crushers arrive. They didn't know the Crushers had their own robot, but... well, it's a long story and it's still the enemy phase.

There's a new lose condition - Takeru getting shot down. As of now, everyone else is expendable for the chapter.

Gaia gets into trouble for the first time.

It dodges pretty well.

Takes hits all right too.

Gaia's counterattack is some kind of... psychic... laser... thing.

drat it, Dai-Guard.

You ready, Ibuki, Aoyama?
No! We might be talking about aliens here!
We should get out and let the Japanese army or the UN deal with this!
But they're attacking the Earth! We have to fight back!
There's a city behind us! We have to defend it at least!
Akagi...
Fine. If you won't listen to reason, we're just going to get ourselves killed arguing.
Aoyama!
All right, all right. I guess I'm stuck with you guys.
Thanks, Ibuki!
Just don't do anything stupid! We're not trained for combat!
Fine! We'll do as much as we can!

Which is defend and get hit.

But my turn comes soon enough.

Gaia (Takeru Myojin)
Skills
A-Class Psychic
Prevail L4
Spirit Block
Spirits
Vigor
Traits
Antiproton Bomb
Ace Bonus: The Psychic Skill is replaced by A-Class Psychic.

Takeru's "real" robot. Sort of. I know some of you know what's coming.

Takeru normally has the Psychic L5 skill, growing to L9 over the course of the game, which increases his accuracy and evasion stats based on the skill's level. However, his Ace bonus can spike the process on a normal playthrough and completely blow it up on NG+ playthroughs, because it locks the effect of the skill to where it would be at level 9. Not only that, but it automatically restores 10 SP to Takeru each turn, which is, um, awesome (and will only get awesomer as he actually learns his Spirits).

Unfortunately, Gaia has a serious drawback to balance out the advantages of A-Class Psychic. Its one machine trait is not a perk at all. You see, if Gaia is ever destroyed in battle, no matter what stage it is, the antiproton bomb within it will explode and destroy the planet, completing Emperor Zuul's plans, and more importantly, delivering an instant Game Over.

Other than that, Gaia is extremely lackluster. It's not very big or strong and it has a mobile range of 2. Oh well.

(And if it wasn't obvious, Takeru is no longer a subpilot on the Cosmo Crusher.)

Also, Trider's missile supplies have been ratcheted up to a much healthier level.

So the basic idea is this: Takeru's Gaia is out in the corner by its lonesome. This is bad. We have four player phases to take out both the planes and the ugly-rear end robots, several of which are on the opposite side of the map from the main Crusher force. This is also bad.

One thing we can do is use Offensive Support. Crowe is an excellent supporter, with high range and Combo Attack. This is also a good chance to see just how tough the enemy mecha are. (I know, Mika has Scan, but this way is more fun.)

Spiked frisbees of death never get old. Sorry.

(Godmars was not known for its animation. That is like the laziest attack known to man.)

They're fairly tough, but not that tough.

Another thing we can do is speed units to Gaia's and Cosmo Crusher's aid.

For instance, fighters that can use Accel are extremely good at reaching distant corners of the map and assaulting hard-to-reach enemies in a relatively short time.

God I love Mazinger.

Some units, like the Blaster, are simply fast even without Accel. Its base move is 8 compared to Mazinger's Accelerated 9.

Hit & Away lets you use any weapon you want without sacrificing your move. But it also expands your choice of accessible enemies. For units with high-range, non-(P) moves, it's a considerable upgrade in flexibility.

Dai-Guard is really awful at anti-air, and every enemy is flying. Time to use him as a supply island. (I forgot to train pilots. Whoops.)

Last to go are the Crushers. The Cosmo Crusher has lost the Triple Laser attack, because Takeru went and blew up the Crusher 3. Way to go, Takeru.

So pew-pewing away is all it can do.

I guess you can just dodge radiation now.

To be safe, Takeru restores his HP using Vigor. But I can't be too safe, there's a fight to be finished in just a few turns, so let's go attack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvhs1QEgwss
This animation might have more actual motion in it than your average fight scene in Godmars.

The weakened jets start dropping like flies.

Even Dai-Guard, whose damage output is unforgivably low considering the enemies are tiny and crunchy, takes one out.

The slaughter continues. In fact, all the enemy jets are down, leaving only the mecha.

They start going down too, but more slowly.

Oh well, there's plenty of time left.

Takeru takes a hit and goes dangerously low. Even without the Antiproton Bomb, Gaia's destruction is a lose condition this chapter. Eep.

On my turn, healing.

There are just four mecha on the field. This'll be pretty easy.

While Team Fast takes out the third enemy and heads west to join the Crushers, Watta completely wastes 80 EN on the fourth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vyJQUdruKs

And now there are only the western two.

The Crushers can probably finish this job on their own without Crowe and Kouji, actually-

Whoops.

Trust is a Spirit that restores 2500 HP to one selected robot. It's going to pull Takeru out of the fire.

Meanwhile, Kenji is clean out of Focus. But there's a little cheat to keep him safe for a round.

You see, the enemy mech's maximum range is 5. That's exactly the range of the Cosmo Laser... or is it?

Naoto, the team gunner, has that convenient Snipe spirit. Other than MAP weapons and point blank weapons, it expands the range of any weapon by two squares.

Suddenly, the Cosmo Laser's range is 7!

Now the Cosmo Crusher can shoot from comfortably outside counterattack range.

No counterattack.

These are still the only two enemies left.

I'd be in trouble if Takeru hadn't dodged.

Takeru makes it out gaining his second Spirit, Sense, the one that combines Strike and Alert, which equates to perfectly dodging one attack and perfectly hitting for one full turn. For Takeru, Sense costs 20 SP, about the same as Strike alone costs for many pilots, and with A-Class Psychic, he can spam it and only really drain 10 SP per turn, which is quite nice.

Ahh, Counter. (From a screenshotting perspective, I really really wish the alerts that tell you when counters and support attacks are triggering would stick around until the robot was actually on the screen!)

And so the last enemy goes down. A whole turn early. You'd almost think there was more coming.

But nope. That was the whole map. The SR Point is mine.

The Crushers are a little rattled that they just fought real honest aliens from outer space. The only space things this world has known so far have been the Colonies and Celestial Being, and to have first contact be a fight is not the best way to go about it.

The voice in Gaia tells Takeru that the robot will explode the antiproton bomb inside it if he wishes, and that he is expected to use it to destroy the planet Earth.

Takeru cries for it to stop, and Gaia responds by ejecting him and flying away. According to Mika, it's headed to Myojin Reef, a deserted island created seventeen years ago. That seems to bother Takeru, but what's new? Everything that just happened is bothering Takeru, and understandably so.

10 PP and a snack.

We're back at Izu. According to Ohtsuka, Gaia has returned to Myojin Reef, and there surrounded itself with an impenetrable wall of the island's rocks and deactivated.

Kenji wants Takeru to debrief, but kindly old Ohtsuka, seeing how confused and scared he is, suggests he go home for a bit and cool his head. The Crushers aren't supposed to get home leave, like, ever, but it sounds like Takeru's dad has something incredibly important to tell him, so he gets an exception just this once.

After Takeru leaves, Kenji reveals to Ohtsuka that Takeru had a strange dream up in space and has been acting odd ever since. Between that and the robot Gaia that appeared out of nowhere to save him, it's clear that something is afoot and Takeru is at the center of it.

Gaia and the Cosmo Crusher have been added to upgradables. See you next chapter, when I'll also make sure to train up all the pilots. I already know Kouji, Watta, and Takeru are getting Energy Save, and Akagi and Kakekouji are getting Resupply, which lets them supply after moving.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 4, 2012

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Oh Godmars. Once we get to see the title mech I'll definitely give one of my overlong long :spergin: analyses on it. For now let's talk about the pilot a little

Takeru is actually a really great pilot. Caphi started off with his Ace bonus but it's actually very easy to get Takeru to Ace in Z2.1 because there are a lot of stages where it's just Takeru and the Gaia for a couple turns fighting the Godmars enemy robots and with only a little upgrading on the Gaia you can do some really heavy damage with it.

Caphi didn't go into great detail but Super A Class Psychic is one of the best pilot skills in the entire game and maybe the entire series. Along with SP Regen, A Class gives the equivalent of Psychic level 9 which is a 18% increase on final hit and accuracy which means that Takeru's mechs can be surprisingly nimble. Takeru isn't the only Psychic in the game by the way, there's actually 8 other pilots you get with the same pilot ability but only Takeru can get the A Class version and get it fairly early. Even if you don't ace him Takeru gets to Psychic level 9 faster than anyone else and is actually one of the only pilots who does.

Also Takeru starts with Spiritual Fortitude which is invaluable because a certain very common very annoying enemy in this game would not be as obnoxious by half if it didn't have Status attacks, and I mean this quite literally because the enemy loses them in Z2.2 and becomes so much less painful to fight.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I could listen to the Godmars theme all day. :allears: There's a lot of really good theme song renditions in the SRW Z series, and a lot of the themes for the original characters are also very catchy as well.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Yesssssssssssssss Godmars. I started watching it because of this game, and it's actually surprisingly good. True, nothing ever moves, but it's got a fun little story and they use a lot of stylish tricks to try and cover up the low budget. In some ways, I like it better for not moving and not just in an in-jokey way.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
If there's one thing I like about the lovely 70's robots in SRW it's that the games' creators at least have a sense of humor about it and make their attacks as goofy as possible.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MarsDragon posted:

Yesssssssssssssss Godmars. I started watching it because of this game, and it's actually surprisingly good. True, nothing ever moves, but it's got a fun little story and they use a lot of stylish tricks to try and cover up the low budget. In some ways, I like it better for not moving and not just in an in-jokey way.

I haven't seen the show, but I can definitely see how a low budget can force a studio to get really clever to try and keep things interesting without fancy effects. I felt like Hunger Games kind of did that compared to big budget blockbusters, for a non-anime example.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Silentman0 posted:

If there's one thing I like about the lovely 70's robots in SRW it's that the games' creators at least have a sense of humor about it and make their attacks as goofy as possible.

Maybe you should try watching some of those shows. Their attacks are as goofy in-show as they are in SRW, more or less. But then I remember you don't like the awesomeness that is '70s super robot toy commericals shows, because you don't have a soul. :colbert:

Also Godmars and Trider G7 are '80s :spergin:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Gaia's got a nice hairdo and interesting poses at least.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Out of curiosity, is it spoilery to ask whether Gaia's going to be Takeru's main mech for a while, or is it going to be like Little Zambot and mini-God Sigma's short runs in Z1 and only go a few missions before getting upgraded to Godmars?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Out of curiosity, is it spoilery to ask whether Gaia's going to be Takeru's main mech for a while, or is it going to be like Little Zambot and mini-God Sigma's short runs in Z1 and only go a few missions before getting upgraded to Godmars?

Godmars is a somewhat unique robot in how it functions. You'll find out more about it later.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spiritus Nox posted:

I next mission answers your question. And I'm going to go to bat and say Takeru is actually somewhat better for what they choose to do with him.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Omnicrom posted:

Oh Godmars. Once we get to see the title mech I'll definitely give one of my overlong long :spergin: analyses on it. For now let's talk about the pilot a little

Takeru is actually a really great pilot. Caphi started off with his Ace bonus but it's actually very easy to get Takeru to Ace in Z2.1 because there are a lot of stages where it's just Takeru and the Gaia for a couple turns fighting the Godmars enemy robots and with only a little upgrading on the Gaia you can do some really heavy damage with it.

Caphi didn't go into great detail but Super A Class Psychic is one of the best pilot skills in the entire game and maybe the entire series. Along with SP Regen, A Class gives the equivalent of Psychic level 9 which is a 18% increase on final hit and accuracy which means that Takeru's mechs can be surprisingly nimble. Takeru isn't the only Psychic in the game by the way, there's actually 8 other pilots you get with the same pilot ability but only Takeru can get the A Class version and get it fairly early. Even if you don't ace him Takeru gets to Psychic level 9 faster than anyone else and is actually one of the only pilots who does.

Also Takeru starts with Spiritual Fortitude which is invaluable because a certain very common very annoying enemy in this game would not be as obnoxious by half if it didn't have Status attacks, and I mean this quite literally because the enemy loses them in Z2.2 and becomes so much less painful to fight.

With Super A Class Psychic and the rest of the stat load out, Takeru's gonna be a massive rear end kicker-especially when is super robot comes (which we will use every chance we get)

S.D. posted:

I could listen to the Godmars theme all day. :allears: There's a lot of really good theme song renditions in the SRW Z series, and a lot of the themes for the original characters are also very catchy as well.

I really wouldn't have know alot of other anime ever existed if it wasn't for the SRW series. I believe this is the same for quite a few of us

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Takeru really carried the day for me through my first play-through which I just recently finished. I wasn't sold on him at first but by the time I got to the point where I had the numbers to choose not to field him, I considered him just too good of a pilot with too good of a setup to let go to waste.

Then he got his Ace Bonus.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

MarsDragon posted:

Anything Godmars in this game shows that the Z2 team has a hell of a lot of love for the source material by never giving anything originating from it more than five frames of movement at a time, but manage to do a lot with them. The dodge animation for Godmars proper is the funniest drat thing.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Shaezerus posted:

Anything Godmars in this game shows that the Z2 team has a hell of a lot of love for the source material by never giving anything originating from it more than five frames of movement at a time, but manage to do a lot with them. The dodge animation for Godmars proper is the funniest drat thing.

It's not just Godmars they do that for, The Z games as a whole put an astonishing amount of time and effort into getting the graphics to match the source material. For example go look at the various Beam Rifles you can use in the game, they all match their respective show and unit not only in color but in sound effect and visual appearance. They put a lot of effort into capturing Gundam's most basic weapons as perfectly as they could, and Banpresto seemed to apply that same effort to basically everything. It's really noticeable for Godmars as they're matching the bare-bones animation from the series but just about every single unit looks like it was practically copy-pasted from their anime.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Mercury Crusader posted:

Maybe you should try watching some of those shows. Their attacks are as goofy in-show as they are in SRW, more or less. But then I remember you don't like the awesomeness that is '70s super robot toy commericals shows, because you don't have a soul. :colbert:

I meant more as in how there's maybe 5 frames of animation in any one of Godmars's attacks, and in Z1 they add a ton of film grain to the old robots' attacks.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Also Godmars and Trider G7 are '80s :spergin:

And once again, coulda fooled me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

It's not just Godmars they do that for, The Z games as a whole put an astonishing amount of time and effort into getting the graphics to match the source material. For example go look at the various Beam Rifles you can use in the game, they all match their respective show and unit not only in color but in sound effect and visual appearance. They put a lot of effort into capturing Gundam's most basic weapons as perfectly as they could, and Banpresto seemed to apply that same effort to basically everything. It's really noticeable for Godmars as they're matching the bare-bones animation from the series but just about every single unit looks like it was practically copy-pasted from their anime.

Agreed, you can tell the developers really LOVE this whole Super Robot Wars deal. I remember resisting the urge to fanboy-squee when I saw they got all the right sound effects for Big O - Big O itself has a particularly distinctive sound effect when it moves I was glad to see they retained.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

Agreed, you can tell the developers really LOVE this whole Super Robot Wars deal. I remember resisting the urge to fanboy-squee when I saw they got all the right sound effects for Big O - Big O itself has a particularly distinctive sound effect when it moves I was glad to see they retained.

I nearly did the same playing this game for the first time when I heard Dai-Guard's gigantic, thudding footsteps. I mean, they even matched the sound effects for something as goofy and obscure as Dai-Guard. That's dedication.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
Ah, Takeru. I honestly don't know who's better between him, Chirico and the other top-tier pilot, but the three of them are without a doubt the game's best.

Super A-Class Psychic is an enormously broken skill, and the bomb ceases to be of any concern with even moderate upgrading. Even Gaia can be a force to be reckoned with when upgraded, and as for the titular machine itself...

Heh, you'll see.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gulping Again posted:

Ah, Takeru. I honestly don't know who's better between him, Chirico and the other top-tier pilot, but the three of them are without a doubt the game's best.

Super A-Class Psychic is an enormously broken skill, and the bomb ceases to be of any concern with even moderate upgrading. Even Gaia can be a force to be reckoned with when upgraded, and as for the titular machine itself...

Heh, you'll see.

Out of curiosity who are you putting as third on your list top-tier pilots?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Silentman0 posted:

And once again, coulda fooled me.

I don't think it becomes really obvious until around the time Dancouga gets made. By that point, everybody moved on to real robots like Gundam and Macross, so the super robot genre kind of just evolved from there. You went from several multi-colored boxy designs to a slower release of shows with less "cartoony" designs such as Zeorymer and Dangaioh, you get a kind of homage to super robot shows (and parody of Aim for the Ace) in the form of Gunbuster, and then the early '90s rolls in and all of a sudden you get the Eldran series (Raijin-Oh et al) and Yuusha series (GaoGaiGar et al) kind of doing mid/late '80s designs with '70s color palettes.

I love the evolution of the super robot genre. It all eventually loops back to the classics, but each era is really distinct.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Omnicrom posted:

Out of curiosity who are you putting as third on your list top-tier pilots?

If I had a guess, it would be Kallen.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Tobias Grant posted:

If I had a guess, it would be Kallen.

Nope. She's in the top ten, certainly, but it's not her.

Ryouma Nagare takes the spot based solely on his terrifying loving damage output that he gets from his ace bonus. The support he gets from Hayato and Musashi's wonderful seishin lists is the icing on the cake.

In case you're wondering, my bottom tier pilots are Aoi(until she upgrades from Nova Eagle) Renton(STATS SO BAD AGH), and Lunamaria(The least useful unit in the entire game)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gulping Again posted:

Nope. She's in the top ten, certainly, but it's not her.

Ryouma Nagare takes the spot based solely on his terrifying loving damage output that he gets from his ace bonus. The support he gets from Hayato and Musashi's wonderful seishin lists is the icing on the cake.

In case you're wondering, my bottom tier pilots are Aoi(until she upgrades from Nova Eagle) Renton(STATS SO BAD AGH), and Lunamaria(The least useful unit in the entire game)

Lunamaria's actually quite good. The Impulse is an overall solid unit, largely due to the fact that it was a protagonist unit prior to Shinn's upgrade and it carries over all the benefits that implies. The Excalibur attack is actually pretty drat good for a non-protagonist unit's finisher and gets better if you invest in it. The only problem she has is with accuracy, solved by her Ace bonus in both games.

The most useless unit in the game is and will forever remain the Gundam DX. Even Sarah's Panther is better because her Ace bonus increases her finisher's damage and she has Love with Gainer so her damage output will easily surpass the DX's.

And as far as top units go:
Any list that fails to include Apollo sadly doesn't work. It takes a ridiculous amount of time for Aquarion to not be by-and-far the best unit in the game simply based off the Elements System.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 20, 2012

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Lunamaria's actually quite good. The Impulse is an overall solid unit, largely due to the fact that it was a protagonist unit prior to Shinn's upgrade and it carries over all the benefits that implies. The Excalibur attack is actually pretty drat good for a non-protagonist unit's finisher and gets better if you invest in it. The only problem she has is with accuracy, solved by her Ace bonus in both games.

The most useless unit in the game is and will forever remain the Gundam DX. Even Sarah's Panther is better because her Ace bonus increases her finisher's damage and she has Love with Gainer so her damage output will easily surpass the DX's.

And as far as top units go:
Any list that fails to include Apollo sadly doesn't work. It takes a ridiculous amount of time for Aquarion to not be by-and-far the best unit in the game simply based off the Elements System.

UGH. After I posted I remembered the DX. Yes, it has the single strongest attack in the game, but the conditions on using it are crippling and every other attack it has loving sucks. It doesn't help that Garrod doesn't exactly light the world on fire in terms of capability, sitting firmly in the mediocre zone from start to finish. The Gundam X units are a sorry lot, and the DX is by far the weakest of the three. These problems are further compounded by the fact that it is by far the most expensive unit to fully upgrade, not that you'd want to.

And yes, Apollo is hilariously overpowered if you exploit the Element System to give him ungodly stats and give him Morale so he has it from the word go thanks to his ace bonus. However, he lacks damage multipliers and the Aquarion's attack power isn't high enough to compensate for that. He's an absolutely ludicrous unit, but at the end of the day he doesn't have quite as much soul-loving murder power. He's top five, along with Simon.

Gulping Again fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 20, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Out of curiosity, who is in your top ten?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
That's an awful lot of black bars you guys are posting.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
Man, all this hate on the Gundam DX. Sure it's not great (Although that doesn't stop me from fielding it) but I'm fairly sure that it's far from the worst. I'd place stuff like the Glasgows and the vanilla Scopedog (before you get the RSC module) far below it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gulping Again posted:

UGH. After I posted I remembered the DX. Yes, it has the single strongest attack in the game, but the conditions on using it are crippling and every other attack it has loving sucks. It doesn't help that Garrod doesn't exactly light the world on fire in terms of capability, sitting firmly in the mediocre zone from start to finish. The Gundam X units are a sorry lot, and the DX is by far the weakest of the three. These problems are further compounded by the fact that it is by far the most expensive unit to fully upgrade, not that you'd want to.

And yes, Apollo is hilariously overpowered if you exploit the Element System to give him ungodly stats and give him Morale so he has it from the word go thanks to his ace bonus. However, he lacks damage multipliers and the Aquarion's attack power isn't high enough to compensate for that. He's an absolutely ludicrous unit, but at the end of the day he doesn't have quite as much soul-loving murder power. He's top five, along with Simon.

The DX was actually quite good in Z1 but it was seriously crippled in Z2 in so many ways, let me count them.

For starters the DX in Z1 was a mid-game upgrade and it showed, it carried over upgrades from the X-Divider Garrod started with so it started well upgraded and in Z1 its basic Rifle and Sword attacks were actually quite strong even besides it's 1-shot weapon. Later it got the G-Falcon which boosted its mobility and gave it new weapons and got a sub-pilot, and if you got the G-bits you got a Tifa as a third pilot and she had some great support spirits like Wish and the G-bit attack was actually really powerful. Also with the G-Falcon the charge time was only 2 turns between firing.

In Z2 by contrast the Sword and Rifle attacks are seriously weakened, Tifa isn't a sub-pilot and you don't get the G-Bits, the G-Falcon isn't in Z2.1, when you get it in Z2.2 the charge time isn't reduced by the G-Falcon, and most crushingly it isn't a squad-based game.

A good chunk of the DX's power in Z1 was the DX was a high performance unit to lead groups and with the G-Falcon that it was a good squad cleaner while it was charging. The G-Falcon's spread beam guns were powerful and Post-movement ALL Attacks, and before you got it you could get mileage out of the DX's high power TRI attack and good speed could dodge and counter well. The Satellite cannon was a great attack to fire at a boss to begin hostilities because it had great range and power and was an ALL attack that could sweep out anyone in the squad and next turn you could use the G-Bits to do good damage as well.

Z2 meanwhile is a mediocre Gundam whose upgrade isn't in Z2.1 and is uninspiring in Z2.2. There's no squads so no ALL attacks so one of the useful things in the DX is shot, it takes 3 turns to charge so it can't be used often, and the G-Bits are nowhere in sight. It's no wonder that the DX is a low-tier unit in Z2 considering they removed everything that made it good!

Sorry for even MORE Black bars but the change to what we're talking about between Z1 and Z2 is one of my least favorite aspects of the sequel.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Sorry for the delay.

Training pilots so I don't forget! First, these three get EN Save.

And these two get Supply Skill.

Also a little upgrade money heading Team Godmars' way. I'm not sure what the Cosmo Crusher really needs - it seems to be okay at everything, though quite on the Real side - so I just put a little bit into everything. It's cheap that way, too.

It's the next day, and all the Crushers are still abuzz about the "alien" forces they fought. They don't look like Earth technology, and all the terrestrial powers have denied all knowledge about them. The real question - why did they attack Japan, in particular? Akagi and Watta are on the same wavelength about it: who gives a crap, they're bad guys and let's beat the crap out of them.

Kakekouji encourages Aoyama and Ibuki not to pilot if they don't want to. "We salarymen must take pride in our own work," he says. What he means is that one should pursue a line of work they feel is right for them rather than one they think they have to do.

The one missing man, Crowe, is back from business and looking kind of glum. He sold off the combat data on the aliens, all right, but Traia was annoyed that he didn't have any Damon data with it and drove him a hard bargain. "They always show up when I don't need them, and they don't when I'm looking for them. Whatever's making them show up, it's gotta be stacked against me."

The pack starts talking about the alternate routes! I don't know if I should talk about these since we are going to be running through them, so let me know. To make it brief, Crowe summarizes, in rumor form, the main happenings going on with Celestial Being and in Area 11.

After that, the conversation turns back to Takeru, who you may remember has something very important to talk about with his dad. Naoto quips that maybe his dad is going to tell him he's not an Earthling! Mika is quick to admonish him for his terrible joke, but Naoto brings up Gaia in response. And if, in the worst case, Takeru were to turn out to be not just an alien, but a member of the invading alien species...

Well, bad news. The elder Myojin tells Takeru the story. One night, seventeen years ago, he was out late at night when he saw a meteor fall out of the sky. The impact created an island, which came to be called Myojin Reef, after Myojin himself. But that wasn't all - Myojin also discovered a capsule of some sort on the island. Inside that capsule was the baby Takeru.

That's all Myojin knows, but Takeru puts two and two together, and the second two is the dream he had where Emperor Zuul called him his son Mars.

With ideal timing, this blue-skinned, psychic fellow Gell fires a psychic shock blast at Takeru and parents! What's more, he's calling Takeru by the name "Mars." He introduces himself as a Gishin and declares that he will kill Mars, the traitor. Seventeen years ago, Mars was sent to Earth from Gishin for the purpose of destroying the planet, and with orders from the Emperor to do just that. He disobeyed that order and must die for his treachery! Not only that, but he actually turned his psychic fists upon a Gishin attack squadron.

Takeru considers the Earth his home, and refuses to destroy it, and what's more, will fight Zuul for ordering its destruction. That means he's just made an enemy of Emperor Zuul.

Gell shoots Mr. Myojin with a shock blast. This is either a threat to Takeru or an attempt to break his bonds with Earth, and I'm not convinced Gell really cares. He fires at Takeru's mom next, and Takeru absorbs the assault.

Then he turns gold (!) and fires his own blast back at the alien! (No but seriously Takeru, you did this like five times last chapter, this is not the time to be surprised.) Anyway, Gell doesn't think he can handle Mars, an A-Class psychic, in a duel of the psychic powers, and flees.

Myojin's time is running out, and he leaves Takeru with his final words: "Takeru, you are... the link between... Earth... and the universe... you must live..." But before Takeru has time to grieve or absorb those words, Gishin mecha fly in...

Chapter 7: The Incredible Six Gods Combination
(Japan route)

Gell has come back with a robot force, and Takeru figures out that he can call Gaia to him if he wishes. He does so, so he can put up a fight and defend his mom. But Gell knows that he only needs to destroy Gaia and the antiproton bomb will go off and destroy the planet. In short, he intends to make Takeru finish his mission by force!

The win condition is to blow up Gell's Guldar. The SR Point condition is to do that within four turns, but take out the rest of his army first.

This is a small stage with a few enemies. The real fun part will be keeping Gaia alive. (Gell's machine is the weird-lookin' one in the third squad from the top.)

It's painfully obvious that something is going to happen in this stage, so I should play it safe. But the SR Point, like so many others, is to cause a lot of destruction in a short time frame, and you don't make that happen by running and waiting for deus ex machina.

p.s. Gaia still has awful mobile range. Nothing he can do this turn but approach.

Dad, I may have been born in space, but my heart belongs to the Earth.
And you're my dear father who raised me. I'll make them pay for taking you from me!

On the counter. I was kind of hoping he could take out a plane. Maybe at higher Will levels. If the melee shock blast won't take one out, the ranged beam-type blast sure won't.

I mean, it's not bad, but it's not exactly ripping the enemy apart.

Eventually, Gaia takes its first hit. With a few pips of extra armor and HP, it's not that bad.

Gaia can take out a Gishin jet on a critical.

But only with the melee shock blast. (I should mention that weapon pips, you'll remember, are expensive, and having even one would probably be exceptional at this stage on a first playthrough. Since this isn't a first playthrough, most of my fighters do have one, including Gaia.)

At last, the mecha start moving.

Takeru has been harassed by jets all round, and even though they failed to hit, the aftereffects have left his dodge chance much lower than it should be.

(The real danger with the mecha is mostly that they're pretty tough.)

It's round 2, and none of the mecha felt like moving (and only one attacked). My gut definitely says "try to wipe out those jets."

Bingo. One jet later, Gell taunts Mars, saying his one machine can't take on his entire squad by itself. (Funny, I thought it was doing pretty well.)

On cue, the Crushers arrive to help. Takeru tells them the Gishin are out to destroy the planet, which strikes them all as a hell of a lot more serious than just invading it. Naoto, of course, is suspicious that Takeru knows even that much about the enemy, but now's not the time for that!

Now that the tides are turning in Takeru's favor, Gell decides to cut the poo poo and cut down Gaia as quickly as possible, personally.

Takeru cries out in desperation, and five other robots appear to respond to his call.

Again, a mysterious voice inside Gaia speaks to him. It tells him to call "Six Gods Combination" (oldschool, right?) and form Godmars.

The five machines combine with Gaia into another, bigger robot! The voice tells him it's Godmars, his guardian.

Sadly, Takeru's guardian is spent for the turn.

I guess Godmars deserves a new exposition, since it's Takeru's really real robot.

Godmars (Takeru Myojin)
Traits
Antiproton Bomb
Weapons
Hit (8 EN, 100 Will)
God Fire (16 EN, 110 Will)
Mars Flash (24 EN, 120 Will)
Final Godmars (64 EN, 135 Will)

Everything else is Takeru's.

I don't know why I haven't been putting up weapon data. Probably because I'm dumb. I'm going to start, and it's going to feature ammo/EN and Will and also special properties because those don't show up in list screenshots. Also note that the EN costs are all funky; this is because EN Save is discounting them by 20%.

By the way, the Will requirements on most of these weapons are mostly stupid and redundant, but to explain why I'm going to have to give a rundown on how Gaia/Godmars is going to work for the rest of the game. It's probably the right time for it anyway.

Takeru is going to deploy every chapter in Gaia. Gaia now has the Six Gods Combination trait/special command, which unlocks at 130 Will. Once that command is used, Gaia is replaced by Godmars for the rest of the stage.

I said "mostly" redundant because there are a couple ways to reduce Takeru's Will in Godmars to below 130. One of them is not enemy attacks, because Takeru's Spirit Block skill prevents, among other things, Will drain. One of the actual ways is spamming Supply, which takes 10 Will as payment, but there's no good reason for that to happen with Godmars.

The other way is the custom bonus Gaia gets at 100% upgrades, which enables it to SGC at any time and any Will. This might not come up until the end of a first playthrough or even a second (on the other hand, this is a third). Besides, even with the custom bonus, I like spending Gaia out before calling Godmars, because one of the cool things about SGC is that Godmars has its own HP/EN pools separate from Gaia's and always comes in fresh. By the time Gaia is out of HP and/or EN, Takeru usually has plenty of Will, custom bonus or no. Since Takeru starts at 105 Will with Ace and nothing else, though, Godmars would have attacking issues if I'd maxed him and then summoned him at the beginning of every stage, so there's that, I guess.

Will considerations aside, Godmars is basically big, beefy, and hard-hitting. Apart from being really powerful and heavy and dumb-looking, I don't have much else to say about him; he's a super robot and he does it well. (Oh, he does still have the Antiproton Bomb, but I doubt that's anything to worry about.)

So that's me blogging about Godmars. Back to the game!

Other than Gell butting in and Takeru repositioning, the rest of the stage is more or less as before, with the addition of the other Crushers at the top.

Let's begin with the attacker team.

I want to dispatch Kouji (and, if possible, Crowe) to the lower end as quickly as possible so they can engage the faraway enemies while Watta and Kenji deal with the nearer ones.

In the process, cleaning up the jets so I can spend the last turn or so focusing on the mecha.

Crowe might actually be in a better position to back up Takeru...

I'll send Dai-Guard with him. Less to attack, more so that I don't have to feel bad having Godmars throw all his EN at Gell.

Trider engages a mecha.

At this point, counterattacks are barely worth talking about unless they do serious damage or are beginning to add up. Properly upgraded robots will almost always either dodge or have the HP and defenses to absorb a few hits, and my Crushers are properly upgraded.

The stage ends after some more uneventful moving by Team Support.

Kouji and Kakekouji sweep up a couple of pairs. Even the Shuttle is pretty tough with a little armor.

The anti-mecha offensive is going well, too. They've even started moving.

Finally, the boss goes. Predictably, he attacks his personal foe. I like it when bosses chase down their nemeses; it saves me the trouble of making sure the hero is in position to cut down his villain if the villain is meeting me halfway.

Reminder: Boss class attack here.

God Fire is like, the worst attack to watch. You're not even missing much animation. (I think it's adorable that Godmars has a little "GM" logo on its belt that shoots a beam. This is even siller than Combattler's V Laser.)

The stage is nice and clean at the beginning of turn 3. Two turns to take out three mecha and Gell. Victory is all but assured.

These two are going to take, like, one attack each. Maybe.

One down.

In case you're following the Cosmo Crusher, Naoto learns Strike.

Two down.

And with the third down, it's Takeru vs. Gell.

This sword is called the Mars Flash. I don't know why.

Thanks to Sense, Takeru dodges.

Anticipating that Gell will attack Godmars next turn, I'll have Sayaka cast Cheer on Takeru.

Surprise! Takeru's defeat of Gell using Godmars' finisher is worth a video, I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qXkqopuSyI
You thought I was kidding about that "no animation" thing, didn't you?

For defeating his assassin, Takeru gains two levels, which I'm pretty sure makes him my highest leveled pilot at the moment. He gains the Shout Spirit, which raises his Will by 10 points, and loots an Adrenaline Ampule, which is an equippable that raises the pilot's starting Will by 5 points. Since Takeru regenerates SP and doesn't use it all that much in the early stage, leading with Shout is good tactics.

With virtually a turn and a half on the clock, the SR Point is done.

Takeru is about to interrogate Gell about Zuul's plans...

But he's interrupted by a Dimension Shock!

Damons start piling out. Gell says something cryptic about them, then takes the chance to escape. He needs to tell his Emperor about Godmars. Takeru wants to go after him, but Crowe and Kenji convince him to stick around; the Damons are everyone's problem.

The new win condition is just to exterminate them. The SR Point entry will helpfully remind us that the SR Point is already scored and not to worry about it.

Most of the Damons only move during the remainder of the enemy turn. Two are close enough to attack...

Not who I wanted to see, but if you want to play, I'll bite.
Look alive, partner. This is your time to shine.

That Gishin knew something about the Damons.
Worry about that later! Focus on the immediate threat!

And the rest simply advance into range. Recall that the problem with Damons is that with no (P) attacks, they always either attack a target in range of 5 tiles or move towards the PCs, but never charge and attack like most enemies can.

Damons. There aren't many of them, and they're not very challenging.

Right when we beat the aliens, monsters show up? We don't get any breaks!
Either way, let's get this over with fast! I've got school tomorrow!

I was hoping the Crushers would get a line too. Guess not.

Mazinger can take you Damons on!
Come on! If you think you can beat Mazinger Z, come and get it!

Did he seriously just...

Yeah, he did. At least that one's dying on the counter.

They pushed us out at this hour and now they want us to fight Damons? We'd better get a bonus for this.
Oh, stop it. The rest of the division is working their butts off tracking data and evacuating the area.
Damons, Heterodynes, they're all the same! We'll stop them with Dai-Guard!
They're basically major disasters, just like Heterodynes. I'm with you there!
But be careful, Akagi! They're stronger than they look!
Got it! Here we go!

I want to show off the Drill Arm, so here's how that battle worked out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVUrTkPUONY
The Drill Arm may be terrible and inefficient, but I like the pose at the end.

By the way, Damons really are pretty goddamn strong compared to their peers. For instance, these ones are basically just grunt enemies but their Skill is high enough to keep someone like Crowe from scoring double attacks without dumping PP into the stat.

I don't think Crowe is needed to help the likes of Takeru and Kouji (and if he is, he's got enough move and range not to worry about it). Let's send him up to help Dai-Guard, Trider, and the Crusher.

Godmars is a little scratched up. Takeru uses Guts to fix it.

Yeah Godmars his pretty hard.

Finally, Aphrodite heals the Shuttle...

which flies into a position ready to supply Godmars next round, so I can feel safe about dropping EN everywhere (Godmars was a little drained too). The healing wasn't strictly necessary, though, because the Damons can only attack enemies within 5 squares; if any of them wanted to attack the Shuttle, it would take them at least a turn.

Anyway...

Godmars kills a Damon by sticking his arm clean through its body.

Dai-Guard's Finger Net Arm. The net reduces the enemy's evasion.

I'm pretty sure the shot of the fist coming out the other end of the enemy is a kill thing. But I'll give it that it's pretty badass.

And the rest of them break themselves against Mazinger.

The single Damon left should go to Akagi, the lowest-leveled fighter on the roster at 7. First, a shot from Kenji weakens it.

Then Dai-Guard crushes it.

The Dai-Guard team going to level 8 means Aoyama gains Accel. He only has it effectively once per map, sure, but it should help Dai-Guard's movement woes a little bit.

After the fight, Sayaka mentions, incidentally, that Damons eventually disappear on their own. The exact reason is unknown, but it's hypothesized that their existence in whatever dimension they come from can't be transferred to this one fully stable. In any case, it was good we were here, because otherwise the surrounding areas wouldn't have been able to afford to wait.

Crowe is shocked to realize that the Damons from just now are far stronger in every way compared to the data stored in the Blaster. Are the Damons actually evolving, or are these ones simply on a different level from all the ones before? Either way sounds like trouble.

Godmars divides back into its six parts.

The voice from inside Gaia says that the other five robots plug into Gaia's antiproton energy. It names them - Uranus, Titan, Shin, Ra, and Sphinx. Finally, it tells him to use Godmars to fight for peace in the universe.

The other five robots leave as Takeru tries to figure out what all of this means. The Crushers want to know too, but Takeru has no answers for them. Just as our team is about to head back to base, Mika says that a message is being transmitted to the camp from space... and the sender claims to be Zuul, the Emperor of planet Gishin!

10 PP and a snack mark the official end of the stage. (I kept thinking I'd have to Supply Godmars, and it never happened. Funny how that works out.)

Apparently Zuul can't be bothered to send video. The gist of his message is that the Earth is somehow a danger to the universe at large, and so he has taken it upon himself to wipe it off the star charts. Ohtsuka resolves himself to tell Elgan Roddick...

Meanwhile, on Gishin, we finally get a look at Zuul himself, and - oh boy. (He's the robot one.) Anyway, his commander Wahl is passing him the message from Gell, the one about Mars' treachery. Zuul orders either Takeru's death or Gaia's destruction. Either of the two will detonate the antiproton bomb. But Wahl goes on to explain that Gaia is defended by five other robots that can combine with it into Godmars. Zuul seems to have an idea that the robots are related to someone named Idea...

A boy named Marg has stumbled into the room innocently looking for his pet bird. The other generals laugh him off as some loser good-for-nothing kid and tell him to piss off. Back to business - Wahl reports that Gell also confirmed "that thing" on Earth (the Damons?), and this only affirms Zuul's mission to blow up the planet. Curious...

Oh, and Gell died. This doesn't bother the Emperor at all, he has lots of soldiers to throw at the problem. He talks more about how the Earth needs to be destroyed because it's dangerous, and because something something he also wants to RULE THE GALAXY!!

This ends the chapter. See you next chapter.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lots of Super Robots going on today, between this and the W LP.

Also, holy poo poo God Mars. :stare: They really had no money, did they?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
So I know nothing about Godmars, but let me get this straight... The antagonists want to destroy the Earth, and have a bomb that can do that. Instead of just bombing the Earth with it, they chose to stick it on a robot as a suicide weapon, then unceremoniously drop said robot on Earth along with some baby in the hopes that baby would pilot that robot and destroy the Earth for them?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Blhue posted:

So I know nothing about Godmars, but let me get this straight... The antagonists want to destroy the Earth, and have a bomb that can do that. Instead of just bombing the Earth with it, they chose to stick it on a robot as a suicide weapon, then unceremoniously drop said robot on Earth along with some baby in the hopes that baby would pilot that robot and destroy the Earth for them?

When you put it that way...it makes me want to use that thing even less.

Which is fine because there are around 60 machines to use as it is.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Are you guys seriously saying a giant exploding robot piloted by a baby is not the best doomsday weapon ever :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

There's a reason why the bad guys didn't just set off the Anti-Proton Bomb actually. I think this is explained later in the game so I'm going to put it in spoilers.

Apparently Mars was supposed to grow up to be the conqueror of Earth, but his crash landing caused an error so he grew up unaware of his heritage or Zuul's job for him. The Anti-Proton Bomb was a last resort to help quell defiance, the power of the Gaia was supposed to be such that Mars could conquer the Earth with it and use the deadman switch as additional leverage. This didn't happen so the failsafe now represents the sword of Damocles hovering over Takeru.

As for Godmars itself it's really really good as a unit and really badly animated on purpose. There's only one attack where you see any real motion at all and that's an attack Godmars gets in Z2.2 so for the purposes of this LP it's going to be a big block.

Godmars is also WAY better here than in SRW D. The mechanics of SRW D are really badly unbalanced so Super Robots have very little durability. In D Godmars wasn't a transformation you chose, early on if the Gaia was badly damage or destroyed it would transform automatically, later on Takeru launched in the Godmars initially. It had the anti-proton bomb so it was a liability in many cases but it had MASSIVE damage potential, especially since a secret unit that isn't in Z2 had a combination attack with Godmars which was I believe stronger than the Final Dynamic Special. I'm afraid I never played SRW 64 so I can't tell you how Godmars was in that game though.

• Locked thread