Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

Al! posted:

Why can't someone just drive down to wherever they keep the servers and reset them? I assume they just keep them in the office like because of they just had some rented space at a server farm they could just call the people there to restart it.

Their server guy is out of town (and the country). They have a dude who is near the offices but he doesn't know poo poo about the servers.

I don't know if it's charming but yes they're still an indie outfit in terms of structure they just have millions to piss about with.

Literally though, they should by now be putting a call to a networking dude to travel to their offices and fix it. I am surprised that it has lasted this long given that it's also hosed the Xbox servers and surely someone at Microsoft must have got on the phone and given them an earful that they're bismirching their XBL darling.

edit: apparently these dudes are on the case @KrisJelbring @xlson

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Enzer posted:

gently caress all if I know, it is why I made that post a few pages back about how I am absolutely baffled that the CEO thinks that they need additional revenue to keep Minecraft development going, I mean gently caress this Monday they had their second best day of sales for 2012 at 15,000+ new users.

Which means that's 15,000 people who can't play the game they've paid for.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

You can play it offline, which is admittedly a downgrade, but it's not like a Ubisoft situation where you can't do anything whatsoever.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

This is true, at least for new players.

I've a little annoyed it's been basically a day I can't get to the RLLMUK server, especially as I'm away tonight.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

Try logging in again. From one of the Minecraft people at the scene:

Leonard Axelsson / @xlson posted:

Logins seem to be working for some but is generally very slow. Please be patient.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Harmonica posted:

Their server guy is out of town (and the country). They have a dude who is near the offices but he doesn't know poo poo about the servers.

I don't know if it's charming but yes they're still an indie outfit in terms of structure they just have millions to piss about with.

Literally though, they should by now be putting a call to a networking dude to travel to their offices and fix it. I am surprised that it has lasted this long given that it's also hosed the Xbox servers and surely someone at Microsoft must have got on the phone and given them an earful that they're bismirching their XBL darling.

edit: apparently these dudes are on the case @KrisJelbring @xlson

Hahaha, holy poo poo this affects the 360 players too? They sold 1 million copies in the first five days, you'd think they could get a dedicated back up server janitor who knows what they are doing with the 20 Million the earned from that.

Mojang. :allears:

Anywho, I'll stop harping on this, maybe next week's snapshot will make me ignore this b/s since they had an extra week's development time before pushing it out.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 19, 2012

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Enzer posted:

who knows what they are doing with they 20 Million the earned from that.

Hookers and blow.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Reason posted:

Hookers and blow.

I doubt it, being the huge nerds they are.

:byodood: NEEEEERDS!!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Reason posted:

Hookers and blow.

A 1:1 scale Warhammer 20000 army, 2000 points.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
There's a floating island next to my mountaintop lair, so I built a bridge out to it, lured a sheep up there, and removed the bridge.

Skysheep! He seems to be enjoying his tiny floating rock. I tried to get a better view by climbing the trees in the background here, but he wasn't visible from there, despite the surface of his rock being angled in that direction.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Delivery McGee posted:

There's a floating island next to my mountaintop lair, so I built a bridge out to it, lured a sheep up there, and removed the bridge.

Skysheep! He seems to be enjoying his tiny floating rock. I tried to get a better view by climbing the trees in the background here, but he wasn't visible from there, despite the surface of his rock being angled in that direction.

Give him some sort of shelter, at least a tree or something. :smith:

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
What are some good visual mods? I've gotten back into the game and I'm still not content with what it looks like.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bluemillion posted:

Give him some sort of shelter, at least a tree or something. :smith:

He needs a tree, a buddy, and a little water source. Not a waterfall, or he'll fall off.

You gotta make your sheep island comfy, man.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

MounerKT posted:

What are some good visual mods? I've gotten back into the game and I'm still not content with what it looks like.

I'm currently using this. The shadows are really nice and the tree leaves wobble around. The only bummer is that it makes torches super dark for me.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Seed "CoolWorld". It's no TestCraft but it is however much easier to get around in and has a village near spawn. The one on a ravine as I mentioned earlier. It also has one of those sandstone ruins near the village and nearby forest, swamp, plain and desert biomes with plentiful water. Seem to be plenty of resources and lots of interesting caves, not huge worm holes like TestCraft. (or was that Testcraft. Oh poo poo help). So the level of difficulty is lower and a whole lot of travel isn't required. Just thought I'd share it for people that want a simple survival experience without having to travel a long distance to find things.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

MikeJF posted:

And the login server's down again. This is happening more often lately, it seems.
Oh God, the bad old days of January-March '11 are coming back! :gonk:

Do you like Minecraft? Do you like Baldur's Gate? Want to stare half enraptured, half incredulous as a lunatic attempts to rebuild the whole drat city from the first game, building by building, from 2.5d to glorious blocky 3d?

Come along, then, and watch!

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Goonimati is hosting a hardcore event this evening at 6pm, please post in the servers thread if you're interested in playing but have never played with us before. If you've played with us you should be good to go.

The server will be live just prior to the event beginning, at 6pm.

Synesthesia Demon
May 20, 2012

You're awesome.

A shrubbery! posted:

Has there ever been any reason given for why Creepers don't die at sunrise like the other monsters?
I'm just curious because they're by far the most dangerous enemy, yet they're also perfectly capable of ruining your poo poo even in broad daylight. I've lost count of the times I've stayed in my house overnight and left after the monsters have burned up, only to find there was a Creeper or two chilling on the roof so they could jump down as soon as I leave.

VVV Spiders aren't aggressive in daylight and even when aggro ones hang out on your roof, at least they don't blow up your walls when you leave. If nobody's done it yet, someone should mention balance issues to Notch/Mojang. It's bullshit that for most of the time (all of night-time and half of day-time) at any time you might get exploded because you weren't looking behind you at that time. I guess a lot of people have just gotten used to it.

The bigger question is...how the heck did creepers get on your ROOF? I've never heard of creepers hanging out on top of houses before, and even if they're just lurking nearby, you could probably see them with windows.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

One of my old bases had a creeper hanging out on the roof every night. I can only assume that my roof was a prime location if you're a green, mutated cactus-like being. That made me install a skylight, just so I could follow the little bastards progress.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Did any of you consider just tossing a torch or some glowstone up there?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Did any of you consider just tossing a torch or some glowstone up there?

I usually make some kind of elaborate fire tower using netherrack.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I usually make some kind of elaborate fire tower using netherrack.

I'm still a fan of "pillar of lava surrounded by glass" even though I still sometimes burn my house down.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I always just build a floating island, cover it with torches, and put my house up there. Then I can just stand on the edge watching Endermen rearrange the landscape all night.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I'm thinking about a floating island for when I install red power and using frames for an elevator. I hate how hard they are to access in vanilla.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do endermen really move blocks that often? I've seen them pick up blocks but all the changes they make seem really minor and pointless.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Do endermen really move blocks that often? I've seen them pick up blocks but all the changes they make seem really minor and pointless.

I haven't seen them move blocks since they were nerfed to not move player blocks. I only see them holding flowers and stuff.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

They definitely still move blocks but only sand and dirt blocks as far as I've seen. They're still creepy as gently caress especially when you run into them in places you don't expect. Some people don't like the ghast noises but the enderman noises turn my stomach..

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

MikeJF posted:

He needs a tree, a buddy, and a little water source. Not a waterfall, or he'll fall off.

Done. I also made the island slightly larger and flattened the top.

You'll note that there is only one sheep -- I gave him a buddy twice, and both times he pushed him off.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

He looks cold, better give him a netherrack fire with a steel safety cage.

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
They were livin' creatures
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
Endermen also pick up cactuses, including ones used for defense.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Delivery McGee posted:

You'll note that there is only one sheep -- I gave him a buddy twice, and both times he pushed him off.

Oh, so he's evil. Fair enough. Probably good you've got him on his island.

Internet Kraken posted:

Endermen piss me off because they keep making the natural lines of the landscape (such as they are) turn into random dotty pixellation over time.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I haven't seen them move blocks since they were nerfed to not move player blocks. I only see them holding flowers and stuff.

They usually stay far out in the distance for my current playthrough, never really manipulating anything of note. One thing I did notice though is when I get their attention they zip in close making that horrible chuffing noise and then keel over as if getting hit.

Thing is, I never get a hit in edge wize. Just that horrible chuffing noise and then..dead.

Bizarre.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
From Jeb's Twitter:

Is this... a rudimentary buying and selling interface? Testificates might actually do something in the future! :aaaaa:

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Esme posted:

From Jeb's Twitter:

Is this... a rudimentary buying and selling interface? Testificates might actually do something in the future! :aaaaa:

I like how he's got 2 villagers trapped in a wooden house with stone separating them.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

daggerdragon posted:

I like how he's got 2 villagers trapped in a wooden house with stone separating them.

Oh yeah, he also posted a picture of his setup for Testificate testing:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
80 raw chickens for one piece of leather armor sounds like a terrible trade.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Al! posted:

I imagine these numbers aren't final. Plus once you have 4 chickens, you have 4,000,000 chickens anyway.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Esme posted:

Oh yeah, he also posted a picture of his setup for Testificate testing:

Jeb is a cruel, cruel merchant-master. :whip: :10bux:

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Al! posted:

I see it like a crafting table. He has 20 raw chickens but only one is used to trade for one red coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Esme posted:

From Jeb's Twitter:

It seems like the top row is a catalogue of trade options, a little menu so you can see what you can buy and what it will cost without endless experimentation; the bottom row is where you actually put your poo poo.