Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Has anyone used Tamiya X-20A Acrylic thinner with P3 and GW paints?
I picked some up for airbrushing, but I'm not sure where to even begin with the paint to thinner ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...

Hellbeard posted:

I like the dentist ones if only because they're made for the exact purpose we need them for. They can go for as low as 80$ or so on eBay. Not sure if it's the kind of exploding thing you want to save money on though.

Can you link to the dentist ones? The only ones I can seem to find are the ones people are asking an arm and a leg for.

I already have the vacuum pump, just need the degassing chamber, and my pressure pot to be set up correctly for air compression. And an air compressor, but they're pretty cheap.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The shoulder on his upraised arm doesn't look quite right. The arm isn't high enough to match the level of the shoulder.

Yes! I see what you mean. Good call! I think the problem is the shoulder looks too low. I'll fix it.

The Dark Project posted:

Can you link to the dentist ones? The only ones I can seem to find are the ones people are asking an arm and a leg for.

I already have the vacuum pump, just need the degassing chamber, and my pressure pot to be set up correctly for air compression. And an air compressor, but they're pretty cheap.

Just search for "dental pressure pot".

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Saddest Robot posted:

I gave my old pewter dreadnaught to my 5 year old nephew. I asked him what color he wanted it.

Blazing Orange. He wants Blazing Orange space marines. :3: I guess it'll go along great with my blazing orange tyranids.

I'd like some suggestions for a space marine scheme with blazing orange as the primary.

I wouldn't want to paint an orange army now, let alone when I was a kid. Would be a frustrating as hell color to paint even now, but I don't know how good GW's new oranges are.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Enchanted Blue and Blazing Orange. The only possible option.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
Ain't no thang.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

bhsman posted:

Hey JerryLee, I'm considering taking some step-by-step pictures of my Blood Claws for you since (IIRC) you had asked about it at some point. Let me know if you're interested within a day or so. :twentyfour:

I know he's spending relaxation time on Diablo 3 at the moment, so I don't know if he's paying that much attention to this thread, but I think he'd appreciate it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Blazing orange as the main color, with blue as an accent and bone/white as a helmet color for sergeants would be the way to go, I think.

EDIT: Wait did I just describe Sole.Sushi's Vomit Marine? :gonk:

Pyrolocutus posted:

I know he's spending relaxation time on Diablo 3 at the moment, so I don't know if he's paying that much attention to this thread, but I think he'd appreciate it.

I decided to go ahead and do it anyways while writing a description; by the end of this the thread will have an awesome guide on how to paint lovely tabletop models! :shepface:

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Hellbeard posted:

I like the dentist ones if only because they're made for the exact purpose we need them for. They can go for as low as 80$ or so on eBay. Not sure if it's the kind of exploding thing you want to save money on though.

With the right resin, you can do stuff that's FINE for home modelling. I'll take some pics of some of my old stuff when the light is better. There are bubbles, but they are few and far between.

For selling and production stuff, you need all the expensive stuff, but I'm not sure if that's what you are going for.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

HardCoil posted:

With the right resin, you can do stuff that's FINE for home modelling. I'll take some pics of some of my old stuff when the light is better. There are bubbles, but they are few and far between.

For selling and production stuff, you need all the expensive stuff, but I'm not sure if that's what you are going for.

This sounds like exactly the sort of thing that Kickstarter was made for.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Chiming in on orange blue armies, I painted 2500 points of Tau that way and it was the motivation I needed to finally buy an airbrush. Orlando Dolphin tau 4 lyfe

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hellbeard posted:

Yes! I see what you mean. Good call! I think the problem is the shoulder looks too low. I'll fix it.

You're aiming to have the guy on the left. Remember, the deltoids bunch up on top of the shoulder structure when the arm comes up, as well as the shoulder of the clothing will bunch.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Oh hey did someone say orange and blue?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
PaintVagrant to pg #659, PV to 659.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Which UK product (that aren't Simple Green, since I can't find that) would be best for stripping thick decade-old paint from a plastic GW tank without melting it? Is it just any of the "degreasing" products?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Dettol.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"Zamo" works too, and it's cheap as hell.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Cool, thanks. I've got a horribly painted Leman Russ that I bought back when they cost £14 and don't want to melt it!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I finally finished the second Monolith I bought ages ago. With my first one that I painted nearly 3 years ago, I was going for a white and gold look to fit in with my vision of my army, but it ended up as white and bronze. This time I got it right. Theres an image of it next to my old Monolith that I've posted on SA before to demonstrate the difference in colour.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Which UK product (that aren't Simple Green, since I can't find that) would be best for stripping thick decade-old paint from a plastic GW tank without melting it? Is it just any of the "degreasing" products?

Seconding Dettol. As long as acrylics have been used (gently caress you WotC and your lovely enamel paint jobs), Dettol will clean them right off, and not cause problems with plastic, resin or metal minis in my experience (though it's probably worth testing a spare bit first or something).

It's reusable, as well, I don't think I've actually bothered changing the little jar I've been using yet.

On the orange-and-blue note... I'm agonising over colour schemes for my otyugh - I'm wondering about a blue-ringed octopus look, but orange can be a bit of a nightmare. I wonder whether flesh colour and purple would work...

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah with Dettol you can just keep on rocking the same bottle. I fill a jug with the stuff and mass-strip my minis, clean them up with a toothbrush them put them back in (each being 24-36 hour periods) and repeat and you basically get a brand new model out of it. It's good stuff.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

HardCoil posted:

I'd really like to produce and sell stuff. I have a very low interest in casting for my own use.

Dominion posted:

This sounds like exactly the sort of thing that Kickstarter was made for.

Sounds tempting but I'm not sure if I'm there yet. I've been thinking about it, for sure.

ou're aiming to have the guy on the left. Remember, the deltoids bunch up on top of the shoulder structure when the arm comes up, as well as the shoulder of the clothing will bunch.

Thanks. I think your post really put it over the top. Check it out.

Almost complete(28mm):

Redid left shoulder, some of the right shoulder. Added right sleeve.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Good god that's cool.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

thespaceinvader posted:

On the orange-and-blue note... I'm agonising over colour schemes for my otyugh - I'm wondering about a blue-ringed octopus look, but orange can be a bit of a nightmare. I wonder whether flesh colour and purple would work...

If you can still find it, Vomit Brown makes an excellent base for orange minis.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Fyrbrand posted:

PaintVagrant to pg #659, PV to 659.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Oh hey did someone say orange and blue?

yessssssssssssssss

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
xpost

Naramyth posted:

Finished up my daemon prince for the May oath. Here is to hoping Chaos Marines don't suck rear end in the next codex. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

bhsman posted:

I decided to go ahead and do it anyways while writing a description; by the end of this the thread will have an awesome guide on how to paint lovely tabletop models! :shepface:

Oh hey there. :v: If it's not much extra work for you, that'd be great! I'll be honest, since finishing my one box of Space Wolves I've been more durdling around with other models than working on any more Wolves, but stuff like that for any system or army is neat to see!

And I'm really touched that you thought of me after all this time and given my near-lurker status in these threads. :3:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Hellbeard posted:

Thanks. I think your post really put it over the top. Check it out.

This is really nice, man. I dig it, the shoulder looks correct now, and the only question I have left is who the hell is this? I could have sworn you said Ariel Sharon a while back, but I just can't see that man with anime hair.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

bhsman posted:

EDIT: Wait did I just describe Sole.Sushi's Vomit Marine? :gonk:

You sure did.
Ignore the vomit stream, enjoy the color scheme!

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

This is really nice, man. I dig it, the shoulder looks correct now, and the only question I have left is who the hell is this? I could have sworn you said Ariel Sharon a while back, but I just can't see that man with anime hair.

Now you can not un-see him with anime hair.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

JerryLee posted:

Oh hey there. :v: If it's not much extra work for you, that'd be great! I'll be honest, since finishing my one box of Space Wolves I've been more durdling around with other models than working on any more Wolves, but stuff like that for any system or army is neat to see!

And I'm really touched that you thought of me after all this time and given my near-lurker status in these threads. :3:

Hey it's no problem man, it was something I had been considering to help you out and to kinda help me catalogue what I do when painting. Gotta help the wolf bros out :respek:

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I've got a new project! I'm going to be replacing the playing pieces of Discworld: Ankh Morpork with 28mm fantasy models and I'm looking for ideas. It's a great game that I play a bunch, but the generic wooden pieces in the set aren't exactly inspiring; I'd really like something with a bit more character. The game is made for four players and every person has minions and buildings:

I'm looking for four different factions of models. I'm thinking:
* City Watch (Warhammer State Troops?)
* Wizards
* Dwarves
I'm not really sure what to go for for the fourth faction! Any ideas? I'm considering undead, tramps, newspaper staff or trolls. Not really sure.

I'd like to represent each faction with basic plastic troops (mainly for cost) painted in a single bold colour. I've bought some Warhammer Dwarves that'll be mainly yellow (plus beards, very important), and am thinking about State Troops for the city watch, but have no idea what to do for the wizards. Anyone know of a box of plastic wizardy troops out there? Maybe Empire Flagellants? I've got more basic empire and vampire count troops spare to use for the fourth faction, though I've got no idea what to make!

Also, what on earth do I do about the buildings? Ideally I'd love themed models to go with each faction, but I've got no idea where to start at all.

Hellbeard posted:

I'd really like to produce and sell stuff. I have a very low interest in casting for my own use.

Sounds tempting but I'm not sure if I'm there yet. I've been thinking about it, for sure.

This is looking really impressive.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 22, 2012

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Cool, thanks. I've got a horribly painted Leman Russ that I bought back when they cost £14 and don't want to melt it!

One thing that you might not have thought of: because the tank is hollow and (probably) not watertight you're likely to get some of the liquid inside it. I'd leave it for a good long time for the stuff to evaporate/seep out so that it doesn't ruin your future paintjob.

I had it happen once with Ork Nobz, who have hollow torsos. I think it'll probably be worse for a tank.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The Supreme Court posted:

I've got a new project! I'm going to be replacing the playing pieces of Discworld: Ankh Morpork with 28mm fantasy models and I'm looking for ideas. It's a great game that I play a bunch, but the generic wooden pieces in the set aren't exactly inspiring; I'd really like something with a bit more character. The game is made for four players and every person has minions and buildings:

* Wizards
* Dwarves
I'm not really sure what to go for for the fourth faction! Any ideas? I'm considering undead, tramps, newspaper staff or trolls. Not really sure.

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/discworld-miniatures-c-48.html

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Thanks for the effort, but the part of my post you've cut out is pretty relevant! While these are amazing figures, I'm just looking for basic plastic troops I can convert and paint a single colour to use as boardgame pieces; spending €8-12 on each figure is really far beyond what I'm looking to spend. Sorry, I should have clarified this a bit more.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Manifest posted:

Has anyone used Tamiya X-20A Acrylic thinner with P3 and GW paints?
I picked some up for airbrushing, but I'm not sure where to even begin with the paint to thinner ratio.

x20-a works wonders for cleaning out your brush if it gets clogged, just run some through and work the needle back and forth, should unclog it enough to get it spraying just fine again, without having to pull it apart (in most cases).

Depending on the thickness of the paint (for example, bases are thicker than layers and thus need more thinner), you could probably get away with 2:1 thinner:paint, but its basically subject to the old '2% milk' rule.

I dont use it for thinning now, as i found that it started doing strange things to the paint (such as making it goopy/stringy if you left it in the cup too long, so you would have to use small amounts at a time).

Now i just fill a squeezie bottle to about 40% with paint, and just keep adding either water or windex until its runny enough that it will run down a page thats tilted on an angle immediately. Sounds a bit like mumbo jumbo, but as i said earlier, 2% milk rule.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm just looking for basic plastic troops I can convert and paint a single colour to use as boardgame pieces

Check out Caeser Miniatures, they're 1/72 plastics. They have a fantasy line, but also lots of historicals that will probably be perfect for what you want. Also a box of 20-30 figures runs about $12.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

* Wizards
* Dwarves

I'd like to represent each faction with basic plastic troops (mainly for cost) painted in a single bold colour. I've bought some Warhammer Dwarves that'll be mainly yellow (plus beards, very important), and am thinking about State Troops for the city watch, but have no idea what to do for the wizards. Anyone know of a box of plastic wizardy troops out there? Maybe Empire Flagellants? I've got more basic empire and vampire count troops spare to use for the fourth faction, though I've got no idea what to make!

Also, what on earth do I do about the buildings? Ideally I'd love themed models to go with each faction, but I've got no idea where to start at all.

This is looking really impressive.

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Kings-of-War.html

These are reasonably cheap 28mm minis that could work, especially if you wanted an undead faction.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Micro Arts Studio actually do Discworld characters. You could check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Bought some plasticard and balsa to make a boat to put my Charon miniature in so I can make a Ferryman of Hades stand in Black Coach for my swamp ruin themed Vampire Counts army.

Now what I would love to find is a miniature I can put at the prow of the boat. I was thinking a female vampire laying on a bed of roses, arms folded across her chest. Unfortunately I cannot find anything remotely like this. Just scoured all of Reaper's miniatures, but came up empty handed.

Anyone got any miniature suggestions that I could use? Need something looking serene and beautiful, with a long dress if possible.

Also, loving the miniature sculpting. Top stuff!

• Locked thread