Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
So my Snap-On torque wrench is in desperate need of calibration. Would I be better off having it calibrated and rebuilt by Snap-On for ~$60 or..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EvilCrayon posted:

So my Snap-On torque wrench is in desperate need of calibration. Would I be better off having it calibrated and rebuilt by Snap-On for ~$60 or..?

If it's less than the cost of a new one, yes.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
I like 3M's bristle discs for removing gaskets.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...0glGS5QSKMQF1bl

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
A tip I saw online that works like a champ:

Have a bolt that needs to go in a tight spot where you might drop it? Don't have any magnetic sockets in the size you need?

Take a little scrap of paper and stick it on the socket hole. Then push your bolt into the paper and into the socket.

For this example I used a scrap of blue paper shop towel because I always have them around. Regular paper works fine too.

I LOVE my Harbor Freight color coded sockets. They are not the best sockets, but the color coding makes them so much faster to pick out.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

PBCrunch posted:

I LOVE my Harbor Freight color coded sockets. They are not the best sockets, but the color coding makes them so much faster to pick out.

Just look at that high quality anodizing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I usually use a gob of grease to keep nuts in the socket, will have to remember that.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Black88GTA posted:

fuckoff huge sizes that I probably won't encounter in my lifetime.

Seatbelts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

velocross posted:

May have to try that out, I do like the aerosol idea. Did you find it local or have to order it? Permatex generally makes some pretty good stuff.

Kind of the opposite, but any recommendations for a solvent or specific chemical for removing gasket material?

It's easiest to find at NAPA, I think. And it really is amazing poo poo.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

PBCrunch posted:

Brakes are like the easiest job you can do on a car. I would rather change brakes than change oil. Oil changing is so messy.

I hate handling the oil and getting it disposed, pouring it back into containers... because some how you always manage to spill the poo poo. There is a guy down the road from me that charges about 5 dollars more than what I can do it myself. So I just let him do it, and he is good at what he does.

I hate changing oil.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Ugh, what's up with all this brakes love? I hate dealing with brakes. No matter how careful I am, I always seem to round off a flare nut or four, and the improvising gets more and more creative each time. Then bleeding is a pain, and twiddling with the adjusters through the stupid slot, it's just a pain in the rear end. I'll take a dead simple oil change any day over that noise!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
1. replace your bleeders with speed bleeders (and put the rubber caps on so they don't get gummed up)
2. gently caress drum brakes, disc swap is in your future
3. buy a drat good quality set of flare/line wrenches.
4. never use a wrench to get a bleeder screw broken free when you can put a 6 point socket over it. Aside from horribly rusted blob-shaped ones, I haven't rounded one off since I started doing this.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kastein posted:

1. replace your bleeders with speed bleeders (and put the rubber caps on so they don't get gummed up)
2. gently caress drum brakes, disc swap is in your future
3. buy a drat good quality set of flare/line wrenches.
4. never use a wrench to get a bleeder screw broken free when you can put a 6 point socket over it. Aside from horribly rusted blob-shaped ones, I haven't rounded one off since I started doing this.

I've heard mixed reviews about speed bleeders, ought to try them sometime. I've driven manual disc before, not something I want to daily drive. I've never rounded a bleeder, I do use a 6-pt socket on them to break them free, it's the flare nuts that always go. I have a set of flare nut wrenches, but I have no idea how "good" they are.

OneTruePecos
Oct 24, 2010

Raluek posted:

Then bleeding is a pain

Buy a power bleeder and never look back.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

OneTruePecos posted:

Buy a power bleeder and never look back.
Or you can make one for like $20 bucks that's the same thing. I even put a little tire valve stem on mine so I just hit it with the air compressor to like 10 PSI and that's enough to fully flush almost a whole car.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Lowclock posted:

Or you can make one for like $20 bucks that's the same thing. I even put a little tire valve stem on mine so I just hit it with the air compressor to like 10 PSI and that's enough to fully flush almost a whole car.

To make one I am guessing drill a hole in JY brake fluid cap, insert valve stem, seal with jb weld, use bike tire/air compressor to push out fluid.

Is this what you did?

If not couldn't I do this for like $3?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Lord Gaga posted:

To make one I am guessing drill a hole in JY brake fluid cap, insert valve stem, seal with jb weld, use bike tire/air compressor to push out fluid.

Is this what you did?

The DIY ones (I looked into it, and intend to make one, someday) use one of those pesticide pump deals.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What power brake bleeders are good?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bolind posted:

What power brake bleeders are good?

The standard non-professional one that everyone at the track has around here is the Motive. I've had mine for years. Works great. I wouldn't consider doing brakes or clutches without one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That's a pretty decent idea... if you want to really go all out, make it with a siphon jar that holds a liter or two of brake fluid so you don't have to worry about running the master cylinder dry.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Lord Gaga posted:

Is this what you did?

Pretty much. Get a little 1 or 1/2 gallon garden sprayer from Home Depot for like 10 bucks. Get a little flanged adapter from the plumbing section ($2) that fits in the hose that you can screw/glue into a spare MC cap for a couple bucks from autozone, and then just drill a hole in the side of the sprayer bottle to fit the valve stem through. Mine also has an overpressure blowoff / pressure release valve on it too, and my tire whip already has a pressure gauge on it. The hose it comes with doesn't seem to have any problem with brake fluid.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lord Gaga posted:

Just look at that high quality anodizing.

You don't anodise steel.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

echomadman posted:

You don't anodise steel.

Really? Why not? (serious question - thinking back on anodized items and they've all been aluminum)

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Timmy Cruise posted:

Really? Why not? (serious question - thinking back on anodized items and they've all been aluminum)
Anodizing steel would make it rust.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

kastein posted:

That's a pretty decent idea... if you want to really go all out, make it with a siphon jar that holds a liter or two of brake fluid so you don't have to worry about running the master cylinder dry.

Yeah, was thinking about that as well. With the Motive one, you need to disconnect everything and add brake fluid as you use it, yeah?

Also, cool new links when quoting.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Both the motive and the garden sprayer have a tube that sucks from the bottom of the bottle. You are pushing out fluid, not air into the MC. A trick though, when you're doing the last corner, tilt the bottle so it doesn't suck up fluid and you just let it run until the master cylinder is at the right level and you don't make a mess when you have to disconnect the hose/cap and don't have to drain fluid.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
OK, so some brake fluid goes into the motive bottle? Cool. I need to get myself one of those.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

dyne posted:

Anodizing steel would make it rust.

Not stainless.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

InitialDave posted:

No ideas myself, but you could also ask in the thread about A/C, might get a useful response:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473368

Thank you, didn't know we had a a/c thread

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

This. Using plastic bristles on an angle grinder makes using a razor blade seem like the stone age. It's good for anything where you need to remove crap without damaging the surface metal.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Neptr posted:

This. Using plastic bristles on an angle grinder makes using a razor blade seem like the stone age. It's good for anything where you need to remove crap without damaging the surface metal.

Except I've seen aluminum surfaces ruined by even the white (lightest) bristle discs. Have you noticed that no matter how lightly you use one on aluminum it still ends up leaving swirls? That's missing metal.

You may get away with that just fine if you are exceptionally careful, but you are really asking for problems especially with bimetal engines and MLS gaskets. I "repaired" one for a friend that failed to do excessive scotchbriting by coating the new gasket with Hylomar (which I can't even find locally anymore - Permatex used to sell it so it was in most parts stores). That's what I consider an atrocious hack job, but it worked for a few years at least (truck has since been sold).

I get it, everyone wants a faster and easier way. I do too. But I won't do it to the detriment of doing the job properly. Sharp razor blades at very low angles and solvent get the job done without risk of damage, so I'll be sticking with them until I see something better that doesn't remove metal.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

Except I've seen aluminum surfaces ruined by even the white (lightest) bristle discs. Have you noticed that no matter how lightly you use one on aluminum it still ends up leaving swirls? That's missing metal.

You may get away with that just fine if you are exceptionally careful, but you are really asking for problems especially with bimetal engines and MLS gaskets. I "repaired" one for a friend that failed to do excessive scotchbriting by coating the new gasket with Hylomar (which I can't even find locally anymore - Permatex used to sell it so it was in most parts stores). That's what I consider an atrocious hack job, but it worked for a few years at least (truck has since been sold).

I get it, everyone wants a faster and easier way. I do too. But I won't do it to the detriment of doing the job properly. Sharp razor blades at very low angles and solvent get the job done without risk of damage, so I'll be sticking with them until I see something better that doesn't remove metal.

I've been buying Hylomar, or smurf poo poo, from Amazon believe it or not.

http://www.amazon.com/Valco-71255-1-5-BLUE-HYLOMAR/dp/B003TQ07P0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1337617834&sr=8-8

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If you drag the razor instead of pushing it (i.e. use it more like a spackle knife that happens to be very sharp and made out of metal) it won't really hurt aluminum no matter what angle you use it at. Excessive force and/or issues between the ears of the user can still cause problems of course.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You guys are funny. I used sandpaper on my VC and it's been leak free for years. Nice shiny mating surface too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's the word on Harbor Freight's US General boxes? I need a new box for my new place and the USG are priced pretty reasonably.

Specifically this one
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/tool-cabinets-and-carts/44-13-drawer-gloss-red-industrial-uality-roller-cabinet-68784.html

I like that I could later buy expansion parts for it if need be. Anybody got this particular unit?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

What's the word on Harbor Freight's US General boxes? I need a new box for my new place and the USG are priced pretty reasonably.

Specifically this one
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/tool-cabinets-and-carts/44-13-drawer-gloss-red-industrial-uality-roller-cabinet-68784.html

I like that I could later buy expansion parts for it if need be. Anybody got this particular unit?

That box is an amazing deal. Seriously, even at the new, higher price, its the best deal going. Plus they got rid of the old wrinkle finish powdercoat and went glossy. Buy it if you have the space, and a way to move it.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Specifically this one

I used one at the machien shop I used to work at and it was really good quality and smooth for the price.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Splizwarf posted:

Not stainless.

I can't stop laughing at this.

Motronic posted:

Sharp razor blades at very low angles and solvent get the job done without risk of damage,

All it takes is one nick on the cutting edge or slipping and dragging a corner. Carbide scrapers work so much better.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Any one ever used one of those "flat-liners" that has been seen on wheeler dealers? It looks like it would be awesome for doing some minor body work. And where I could purchase one?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sharkytm posted:

That box is an amazing deal. Seriously, even at the new, higher price, its the best deal going. Plus they got rid of the old wrinkle finish powdercoat and went glossy. Buy it if you have the space, and a way to move it.

Lord Gaga posted:

I used one at the machien shop I used to work at and it was really good quality and smooth for the price.

Sweet, good to know. I'm holding out hope for a smaller price drop during the sidewalk sale, if I can snag it for under $300 I'll snatch one up. I have an excellent place for it in my garage as well, an elevated ledge below some windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Any one ever used one of those "flat-liners" that has been seen on wheeler dealers? It looks like it would be awesome for doing some minor body work. And where I could purchase one?

Could you explain what this for those who haven't seen the show?