Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.

Dik Hz posted:

I would definitely return the fish and commission an artwork that I would at least stand a chance of getting my future significant other to let me hang on the wall.

Plus I could be all smug and talk about how I know where a catchable 30" brown is.

The records for brown trout in Wisconsin are dominated by the coasters. (Coaster = Great Lake Run trout)

I'd probably have a better shot at being able to put something up if I just put the picture of me and the fish, especially after my wife found out how much mounts go per inch, but I don't care. That trout is something magical and it's the very concept of a fish like that which can rouse me from a hangover at 4:00am to spend another day splashing around in the water like a goof accomplishing squat.

The only trout we have down here are the little stockies that they toss in the forest preserves twice a year and then the stuff in the lake and since I don't regard charter boats as truly "fishing" I'd likely carry a fish like that around with me for the rest of my life like some sort of increasingly rotten teddy bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cluricaun posted:

I'd probably have a better shot at being able to put something up if I just put the picture of me and the fish, especially after my wife found out how much mounts go per inch, but I don't care. That trout is something magical and it's the very concept of a fish like that which can rouse me from a hangover at 4:00am to spend another day splashing around in the water like a goof accomplishing squat.

The only trout we have down here are the little stockies that they toss in the forest preserves twice a year and then the stuff in the lake and since I don't regard charter boats as truly "fishing" I'd likely carry a fish like that around with me for the rest of my life like some sort of increasingly rotten teddy bear.
I know a guy in Viroqua who caught and kept a 27" brown. (skinny female, not massive bull trout like the one Len's buddy caught) When he found out how much it'd cost to mount, he just stuffed it in his freezer. If you ask nicely, he'll bring out his troutsicle to show off.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I have a dream of mounting a 4 foot gar and putting a bottle opener in it's mouth. From what you guys are saying this would cost approximately infinity dollars?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Drunkboxer posted:

I have a dream of mounting a 4 foot gar and putting a bottle opener in it's mouth. From what you guys are saying this would cost approximately infinity dollars?
$10/inch on the low end, probably closer to $25/inch for a big gar.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
My wife wasn't really keen on the idea anyway.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Drunkboxer posted:

Hahahaha, I like the idea though.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.
Anyone have any recommendations for websites for learning different types of rigs? So far my repertoire consists of bobber/sinker/hook and that's it.

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.

WayneCampbell posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for websites for learning different types of rigs? So far my repertoire consists of bobber/sinker/hook and that's it.

Nothing wrong with a classic, but either hit us up in here or just try Googling but be forewarned that any one rig can be known by 400 different names. Minus the niche specialty rigs there really aren't all THAT many of them to be honest. Everyone should have the drop shot and a variation on the river rig ready to go, combine that with the float and hook and you're ready to hit both moving and still water under most circumstances. I've heard good things about that new casting spreader rig too but that's gonna be a pain in the rear end to actually fish.

Focus more on your baits and your spots than on your rigs, put the right food in the right spot and you'll catch fish. The rig is just the means of getting and keeping it there, once you learn to read water and conditions you can throw the "wrong" rig and still kill it.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

WayneCampbell posted:

What type of fish are you fishing for?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

WayneCampbell posted:

The classics are the classics for a reason! :)

That being said, ask locally or post your location/species here. You've got to give us more to go on.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Dik Hz posted:

The classics are the classics for a reason! :)

That being said, ask locally or post your location/species here. You've got to give us more to go on.

The areas around Chicago, IL. As far as I can tell from the IDNR's website, the local Species are walleye, pike, bass, crappie, channel cats, some muskie and various panfish.

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.

WayneCampbell posted:

The areas around Chicago, IL. As far as I can tell from the IDNR's website, the local Species are walleye, pike, bass, crappie, channel cats, some muskie and various panfish.

And each and every one of those can be easily and adequately targeted with the hook and float save perhaps for the muskie, but even then I know guys that have hooked into them while pan fishing because muskie are unpredictable in the extreme and exist solely to confound fishermen. When you say "rig" are you talking about terminal set ups, such as different methods and concepts of tying weights and hooks and leaders and such for live bait or are you talking about different methods and baits like spinners and plastics? Artificials are nice because they don't require you to lug around 20 pounds of water in a bucket for minnows or have to deal with running out of crawlers after an hour, however none of them can really touch live bait in terms of success. That's why tournament anglers are forced to only work with artificial stuff. Since I'm from the same area as you are give an idea of when and where you're thinking about fishing and what you'd like to go after and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

That being that, if you want to go out and catch bass and feel like you have Bill Dance level mystical skills at it target neighborhood retention ponds and throw wacky rigged stick worms such as Senkos or Yum Dingers in the 4-6 inch range. 8-10lb mono on a spinning reel, size 2 hooks, and just hook the worm through the middle so that the point comes out of the top and you have roughly equal lengths hanging off of each side like so:

No floats, no sinkers, nothing else. Hook, line, worm. They come in the complete rainbow of colors, but stick with green watermelon, it's the go to color. Toss this out between zero and ten feet from the shoreline casting straight out, to your left and to your right so that you can hit water that your footsteps haven't spooked the fish out of. Let it fall, don't work it, jerk it or anything else. Most of the strikes come on the fall, but let it hit bottom and sit there for a few seconds too. If nothing, slowly lift the bait up and let it fall again, the worm does all the work rigged like this, undulating like crazy as it falls throught the water. Lift and drop back to the shore paying attention once you can see it again because bass will follow this worm and can hit right at your feet even. Repeat as necessary. Most of the time you'll feel the hit, but if your line starts moving, set the hook. Ta-da, you're now a total bass fisherman.

Cluricaun fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 18, 2012

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Cluricaun posted:

And each and every one of those can be easily and adequately targeted with the hook and float save perhaps for the muskie, but even then I know guys that have hooked into them while pan fishing because muskie are unpredictable in the extreme and exist solely to confound fishermen. When you say "rig" are you talking about terminal set ups, such as different methods and concepts of tying weights and hooks and leaders and such for live bait or are you talking about different methods and baits like spinners and plastics? Artificials are nice because they don't require you to lug around 20 pounds of water in a bucket for minnows or have to deal with running out of crawlers after an hour, however none of them can really touch live bait in terms of success. That's why tournament anglers are forced to only work with artificial stuff. Since I'm from the same area as you are give an idea of when and where you're thinking about fishing and what you'd like to go after and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

That being that, if you want to go out and catch bass and feel like you have Bill Dance level mystical skills at it target neighborhood retention ponds and throw wacky rigged stick worms such as Senkos or Yum Dingers in the 4-6 inch range. 8-10lb mono on a spinning reel, size 2 hooks, and just hook the worm through the middle so that the point comes out of the top and you have roughly equal lengths hanging off of each side like so:

No floats, no sinkers, nothing else. Hook, line, worm. They come in the complete rainbow of colors, but stick with green watermelon, it's the go to color. Toss this out between zero and ten feet from the shoreline casting straight out, to your left and to your right so that you can hit water that your footsteps haven't spooked the fish out of. Let it fall, don't work it, jerk it or anything else. Most of the strikes come on the fall, but let it hit bottom and sit there for a few seconds too. If nothing, slowly lift the bait up and let it fall again, the worm does all the work rigged like this, undulating like crazy as it falls throught the water. Lift and drop back to the shore paying attention once you can see it again because bass will follow this worm and can hit right at your feet even. Repeat as necessary. Most of the time you'll feel the hit, but if your line starts moving, set the hook. Ta-da, you're now a total bass fisherman.

That is badass, i am going to do that and catch some bass this weekend,.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
An addition to that - really try to get senkos or yum dingers for brand- while any worm will work, those two really have the best action when they fall.

You can also try Texas rigging if the water is super weedy and you find yourself getting caught up in it.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 18, 2012

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.
Texas rigging can be great, but getting it right is a huge pain in the rear end. That diagram makes it look easy but the bait needs to be really straight so as to not totally screw the action and that takes a lot of practice to get right so that the worm isn't all kinky and hinky on the hook. Hating burning through 4 or 5 baits to get one on right is the reason I switched to stick worms from Slug-Go worms in the first place. If I'm throwing in muck I just use hooks with the wire weed guards on them now. They're not perfect, but neither is the Texas. Part of fishing is cleaning weeds and muck off of your bait. That's why a towel or bandanna is an essential piece of gear to have with you, because your hands are going to get dirty. If the bottom is pure muck I'll switch over to a really light weight drop shot rig, I mean rigged with as tiny of a split shot as I can get away with and then with a nice leader of mono on there with the stick worm still rigged wacky, but not so long that it can also hit bottom. That way I have a little shot hitting bottom but not a hook.

After a while this is where practice and high end gear can start to make a difference, because you can learn to feel your bait hitting weeds and where the bottom is so that you can fish right in there without constantly dragging up sticks and weeds and smelly muck.

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.

causticBeet posted:

An addition to that - really try to get senkos or yum dingers for brand- while any worm will work, those two really have the best action when they fall.

Also quoting this for truth. Senkos are the absolute best, but they're also the most expensive and the shortest lived, they're so soft that they get shredded up really quickly. If you're going to use Senkos also invest in the Wacky O Ring tool, which slides a small rubber grommet around the bait so that you can tuck your hook through that instead of right into the worm, it makes them last a bit longer.

But stay away from off brands, house brands or discount stick worms, they just don't work as well. I've tried them from Cabela's, BPS, Berkely, Tiki, home pours, really all of them and those are the only two that I'd ever really pack. I myself am a Yum Dinger man, I think that they're almost as good in the action department as the Senko is but they're a few bucks cheaper and you get a lot more baits in the bag with the extra added bonus that one bait can last a good few fish even without the grommet rings.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

causticBeet posted:

You can also try Texas rigging if the water is super weedy and you find yourself getting caught up in it.

Texas rigs just take practice. Ive been bass fishing my whole life and have always used the texas rig for artifical worms. Its all about learning and remembering where to pierce the bait. Im always fishing shorelines or in the everglades where weeds and structure is a problem. I also use a small bullet sinker on the line. Ive used every worm imaginable over the years and my favorite is the purple 6" worms with orange firetails. Seconded by brown/green.

As others have said, soft and jelly = good.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 18, 2012

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Also on Texas rigs, if you catch a couple fish or if your worm just gets worn, bite off the top section that's ripped making the worm shorter and re thread it on the hook. You can use a 7" worm until it is like 4" long.

Some of my biggest bass have been caught on a Texas rig with a 4" worm with half a tail.

My favorite type of bass fishing is top water. I've had best luck at dusk when the water surface is dead calm. Run a buzz bait, hula popper or zara spook along the shoreline. Just remember to pause before you set the hook when you see something smash your lure.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Cluricaun posted:

This is an absolute killer method for bass fishing. My advice would be using a line that has some visibility though. I'd say over half the fish I caught with the wacky rig I never actually felt the bite. Since you are just letting the bait sink slowly, there is going to be some slack in your line, as soon as you see that line start to tighten, set the hook! I actually have had very good luck with a light weight baitcasting rod with green braid. That may not be the best rig 'technically', but I could see and feel that braid tighten a lot easier than I could with my spinning rigs.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Scrapez posted:

Also on Texas rigs, if you catch a couple fish or if your worm just gets worn, bite off the top section that's ripped making the worm shorter and re thread it on the hook. You can use a 7" worm until it is like 4" long.

Some of my biggest bass have been caught on a Texas rig with a 4" worm with half a tail.

My favorite type of bass fishing is top water. I've had best luck at dusk when the water surface is dead calm. Run a buzz bait, hula popper or zara spook along the shoreline. Just remember to pause before you set the hook when you see something smash your lure.

I agree, topwater is just lots of fun. But I prefer the POP-R by rebel to all other topwater lures. Only downside is in the everglades gators sometimes go after topwaters. Suprise!

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.

DoctaFun posted:

This is an absolute killer method for bass fishing. My advice would be using a line that has some visibility though. I'd say over half the fish I caught with the wacky rig I never actually felt the bite. Since you are just letting the bait sink slowly, there is going to be some slack in your line, as soon as you see that line start to tighten, set the hook! I actually have had very good luck with a light weight baitcasting rod with green braid. That may not be the best rig 'technically', but I could see and feel that braid tighten a lot easier than I could with my spinning rigs.

I admire anyone who throws light weight baits on a baitcasting reel, that's hard to do. The visibility thing is the reason that red colored line went out of vogue for me pretty quickly, it's just as hard to see against the water as it supposedly is under water. The wacky rig's weakness for me is windy days when you can't really help but get a huge bow in your line, that can make fishing it nearly impossible unless the fish are hitting like linebackers. To help combat both issues I've found it helpful to use a fairly long rod and polarized glasses. This way I lose less in the glare and then I use the rod itself to sink the bait. I cast, reel up the slack and then try and lower the bait naturally by lowering my rod tip instead of letting it fall on totally slack line to try and keep as close contact with the bait as I can. Berkley makes a line called Vanish Transition Gold that supposedly disappears underwater and then shines bright gold in the sunlight, but I'm not a huge fan of fluorocarbon lines because I like a little stretch in the line when wacky fishing. I might spool up a reel full this year though and see if that helps the visibility thing, but it's hard for me to use anything but green mono.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Chemtrail Clem posted:

That is badass, i am going to do that and catch some bass this weekend,.
Make you get a denser brand of worm for this to work. You can't just get the cheap light plastics for wacky-rigging. Senko or Yamamoto are the right kind. Should run about $4-6 for a bag of 2 dozen. Ask the guy at the counter if you're not sure which ones to get.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Is there a write-up about the differences/merits of different line types available these days or is it mostly marketing bullshit?

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hot drat an SA Fishing Thread!
Like many of you I had dreams of going pro as a child, only to have girls and cars divert my interest. Three weeks ago I went bass fishing in a tiny neighborhood retention pond with a coworker and got the bug again. Didn't catch anything, but getting some casts in and watching a gator cruise made me realize I had to start fishing again. Went to the store and got fresh and saltwater licenses since both are nearby. My gf and I recently bought stand up paddle boards to explore the tampa bay waters with and I realized I could use that as a fishing vessel to hunt reds on the flats.

Went saltwater fishing with the same coworker who has a 15' fishing kayak, I took my 12' paddle board (big rear end surfboard) and laid the rod on the board while paddling and had gear and water in a fanny pack.
Paddled from the Dunedin causeway (to Honeymoon island) over to Caladesi island but the wind and tide were brutal so I ended up having to wade after ditching the board on a tiny island off the tip of Caledsi. Next time I'll have an anchor so I can stop where I want. Saw tons of HUGE mullet and pinfish on the calm inland side of caladesi after seeing none on the long cruise over. Also saw a BIG bull shark cruise 10 yards in front of me, between me and Ended up pulling a spotted seatrout out of that little pool and a couple more later in the day. Also had a 5 inch sailor's choice bite my 4 inch mirror lure catch 22 and get hooked on the rear treble hook. 2 trout took whole shrimp while the other took a blue Mirrordine. My cowoker caught 6 trout, half on shrimp half on mirrodine. Saw plenty of dolphins, including a female with her calf. Tons of wildlife in these shallow waters.
EDIT: forgot to say everything was released alive that day :) Will be shooting to kill next time though ;)

Today I got a couple more mirrolures and a 5 lb folding anchor. I plan to use bungees and straps to attach a milk crate to the front of my board that will hold the anchor, 2 rods, gear, beer, etc. Google "paddle board fishing" to see pictures of what I'm talking about.

My one worry about this particular area is there are bull sharks, thousands of stingrays, and even hammerheads in channel, and some boaters actually accelerate past kayakers and other paddlers to be dicks. I would NOT swim through the channel that I paddle over by choice.

Now a couple fishing line questions! I am setting up a surf rod for real bait and a lighter lure action rod for my rig. I need new line since my line is currently several years old. The surf rod has I believe 15 lb mono on it and the lure rod has like 8-12 lb mono.

Should I be using braided? Not much chance of getting hooked up since it's all sand or grass bottom. Conditions range from completely murky to pretty drat clear. IIRC my buddy was using green braided line.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Hot drat an SA Fishing Thread!
Like many of you I had dreams of going pro as a child, only to have girls and cars divert my interest. Three weeks ago I went bass fishing in a tiny neighborhood retention pond with a coworker and got the bug again. Didn't catch anything, but getting some casts in and watching a gator cruise made me realize I had to start fishing again. Went to the store and got fresh and saltwater licenses since both are nearby. My gf and I recently bought stand up paddle boards to explore the tampa bay waters with and I realized I could use that as a fishing vessel to hunt reds on the flats.

Went saltwater fishing with the same coworker who has a 15' fishing kayak, I took my 12' paddle board (big rear end surfboard) and laid the rod on the board while paddling and had gear and water in a fanny pack.
Paddled from the Dunedin causeway (to Honeymoon island) over to Caladesi island but the wind and tide were brutal so I ended up having to wade after ditching the board on a tiny island off the tip of Caledsi. Next time I'll have an anchor so I can stop where I want. Saw tons of HUGE mullet and pinfish on the calm inland side of caladesi after seeing none on the long cruise over. Also saw a BIG bull shark cruise 10 yards in front of me, between me and Ended up pulling a spotted seatrout out of that little pool and a couple more later in the day. Also had a 5 inch sailor's choice bite my 4 inch mirror lure catch 22 and get hooked on the rear treble hook. 2 trout took whole shrimp while the other took a blue Mirrordine. My cowoker caught 6 trout, half on shrimp half on mirrodine. Saw plenty of dolphins, including a female with her calf. Tons of wildlife in these shallow waters.
EDIT: forgot to say everything was released alive that day :) Will be shooting to kill next time though ;)

Today I got a couple more mirrolures and a 5 lb folding anchor. I plan to use bungees and straps to attach a milk crate to the front of my board that will hold the anchor, 2 rods, gear, beer, etc. Google "paddle board fishing" to see pictures of what I'm talking about.

My one worry about this particular area is there are bull sharks, thousands of stingrays, and even hammerheads in channel, and some boaters actually accelerate past kayakers and other paddlers to be dicks. I would NOT swim through the channel that I paddle over by choice.

Now a couple fishing line questions! I am setting up a surf rod for real bait and a lighter lure action rod for my rig. I need new line since my line is currently several years old. The surf rod has I believe 15 lb mono on it and the lure rod has like 8-12 lb mono.

Should I be using braided? Not much chance of getting hooked up since it's all sand or grass bottom. Conditions range from completely murky to pretty drat clear. IIRC my buddy was using green braided line.

IMHO stick with mono for saltwater fishing esp from a paddelboard, yak or the beach. Too many big fish and too much line grabbing. Plus less stretch in the line makes it much more unforgiving. Its more personal preference then anything. Im not not a braid fan on anything but light freshwater tackle.

Competed in a charity dolphin tournament yesterday with about 15 boats. We ended up catching 20 mahi and winning the aggregate weight category. Paid for our trip and entry and put a few bucks in our pocket. Not to mention a whole lot of delicious food on the table.

We had a pretty amazing day of fishing. Most boats went east or southeast. But we decided to run an hour south based on the winds and tides and it paid off big time. We ran into miles of absolutely giant weed patches that ended up holding a good number of dolphin.

Rather then trolling which is how most dolphin are caught we spent all day going from weedpatch to weedpatch throwing out live bait and a few chunks of chum. When we got into some dolphin I jumped in and scouted the movement of the school down the weedlines.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll stick with mono. Has knot technology changed lately? I'm still tying a clinch knot with a square knot on top just in case.

Nice haul of mahi mahi! Never fished for them but back on puerto Rico they catch boat loads of >5' dolphin on just a spool of line and a hook with bait.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

tesilential posted:

Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll stick with mono. Has knot technology changed lately? I'm still tying a clinch knot with a square knot on top just in case.

Nice haul of mahi mahi! Never fished for them but back on puerto Rico they catch boat loads of >5' dolphin on just a spool of line and a hook with bait.

Improved clinch is where it's at. Google it for better directions than I could give.

corillon
Jun 18, 2004

When you giggle you leak piss.
Grimey Drawer

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

I was so proud of the couple little redfish and such that I've caught. Looks like a great haul.

Anyone fish around North Georgia? We moved up by Lake Lanier a few months back. The only fishing I have really done is saltwater kayak fishing. I am looking forward to seeing what I can pull out of the lake.

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

I love flukes.

I'm in north Georgia but I'm close to Alabama.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Spooled up some green mono on the surf rod. I think it was Berkeley, about $9 for 650 yards 20 lb test.

This stuff had almost as much memory going off the plastic spool than my several year old mono had coming off the reel. Is this normal? I may have put on a tad bit too much but I feel I can cast further with more line.

Edit: forgot the fun part.

Went on the SUPs with the GF today, no rods just cruising. Every time I've been to the channel lately the tide is lower and lower. The lack of water meant 100s of acres of sand bottom were now dry. I saw the biggest redfish I've ever seen at the edges of these "islands." I was pleasantly surprised to see that I got within 10 ft of them without being seen. One actually had to dart directly under my board. The wind was brutal and created a chop which helped keep me concealed. All the same when I go back tomorrow I will have to anchor way before I see the fish in order to cast my lure without spooking them.

Gotta stop by ACE to make some PVC rod holders for the milk crate. I had success bungeeing a soft cooler to the front today so I recon this whole thing might work out. :)

tesilential fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 21, 2012

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd
Does anyone have a source for good bang-for-the-buck fly rod blanks?

I have a 6-weight and a 9-weight that cover most of my fishing, but I have some rodbuilding stuff and want to finally use it. I fish mostly for panfish and bass, and I use the big rod for poppers and heavy flies, so I'm thinking maybe a 7-weight?

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

tesilential posted:

Spooled up some green mono on the surf rod. I think it was Berkeley, about $9 for 650 yards 20 lb test.

This stuff had almost as much memory going off the plastic spool than my several year old mono had coming off the reel. Is this normal? I may have put on a tad bit too much but I feel I can cast further with more line.

Edit: forgot the fun part.

Went on the SUPs with the GF today, no rods just cruising. Every time I've been to the channel lately the tide is lower and lower. The lack of water meant 100s of acres of sand bottom were now dry. I saw the biggest redfish I've ever seen at the edges of these "islands." I was pleasantly surprised to see that I got within 10 ft of them without being seen. One actually had to dart directly under my board. The wind was brutal and created a chop which helped keep me concealed. All the same when I go back tomorrow I will have to anchor way before I see the fish in order to cast my lure without spooking them.

Gotta stop by ACE to make some PVC rod holders for the milk crate. I had success bungeeing a soft cooler to the front today so I recon this whole thing might work out. :)

Did you spool it vertically? Or laying down on the table? Spinning rods should be spooled horizonally with the line laying on the table face up. Conventional reels should be spooled vertically with a pencil as an axle.

Also Easily mountable rod holders are almost cheap enough that DIY is a waste of time. Can sometimes find them for 10-15 bucks locally. And there is also amazon prime. Prime is the best.

http://www.amazon.com/Berkley-Tube-Rod-Rack-Black/dp/B004561OGO/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1337603183&sr=8-8

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 21, 2012

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.

tesilential posted:

When spooling mono onto a spinning reel you want to make sure that the line coils are coming off of the new spool in the same direction that it's going on to the reel spool. So if you hold the new spool of fresh line with the label facing you watch which direction the line is spooled on there, and make sure that you're spinning it onto your reel in the same direction, and under a little bit of pressure to make sure it's going on nice and tight, normally just pinch a bit of line with your fingers so that it's harder to reel on.

Conversely if you do have the line twisted try and open the bail either behind a boat or on moving water like a river with nothing tied to the end and let all the line out into the water and then reel it back up. That will also eliminate any line twist that you might have.

You also only want to fill the reel spool to within a quarter inch of the spool face. Too much line will result in big fat loops of line coming directly off of the reel when you open the bail and making a giant screaming rod throwing mess at your feet. If you look at the reel it probably gives a capacity based on line weight or diameter as well as the spins per turn of the handle ratio letting you do a little math to figure out approximately how many turns of the handle you should put on.

perabyte
Apr 2, 2005

Angry

Operating Rod posted:

Does anyone have a source for good bang-for-the-buck fly rod blanks?

I have a 6-weight and a 9-weight that cover most of my fishing, but I have some rodbuilding stuff and want to finally use it. I fish mostly for panfish and bass, and I use the big rod for poppers and heavy flies, so I'm thinking maybe a 7-weight?

I can probably get you Sage Bass II rod blanks, or just about anything from Winston. Let me know, and I'll give you the number for the shop I work at.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Hi! I've fished a little bit. A tiny little bit.

I was actually coming in this thread because I'd like to surprise my dad with some fishing lures for his birthday, but I'm not sure what to get. I know certain colors are good for different things and stuff ... I'm not wholly sure what he likes to catch, but he fishes all around Kentucky, so I guess 'whatever fish we have in the state'?

I apologize for sounding like an idiot. Can anyone help?

Cluricaun
Jul 31, 2009

Bang.

Bean posted:

Hi! I've fished a little bit. A tiny little bit.

I was actually coming in this thread because I'd like to surprise my dad with some fishing lures for his birthday, but I'm not sure what to get. I know certain colors are good for different things and stuff ... I'm not wholly sure what he likes to catch, but he fishes all around Kentucky, so I guess 'whatever fish we have in the state'?

I apologize for sounding like an idiot. Can anyone help?

Rapala. They're wooden carved baits that look like fish that are both relatively expensive (hence being ideal for a gift) and deadly effective (hence not being a bad gift).

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Get him a pack of gulp soft baits too.

My buddy used them in place of live shrimp yesterday and blew me away. 10 sea trout to my 2.

I attached a milk crate setup to my SUP yesterday. It was way too heavy and affected my handling and stability. I basically had to land the board and fish from shire because it wasn't stable enough to move around and grab rods, etc. I'm gonna leave the casting net at home next time and move the crate further up. When I would reach back for my rod the back end started to sink so I gotta figure it out.

I also installed a couple guide loops yesterday. The threading was easy but I rushed through epoxying 3 loops in like 3 minutes so I could go fishing. Later I practiced with the epoxy and easily got a clean coat using my finger to smooth it out. Might cut it off with a razor blade and do it nicely if I get time in the coming weeks.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 25, 2012

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

I just got back from a trip to eastern Utah, and after a long hike in the Canyonlands I drove up to one of the lakes in the La Sal mountains to camp and fish for a couple nights while my legs were healing. Being from Texas, mountains are a great rarity for me. The weather was a little rough the first day so I was pretty much the only person out there on the small lake watching trout leaping around every few seconds. I spent the first day casting different spinners over and over and over again, never getting more than bites and occasionally even being able to watch fish fail to grab onto the bait. Even though I fished all the time as a kid, I'm definitely still a novice as my dad didn't explain much to me while we fished. The second day there were more fishermen, I explained my predicament to some regulars, and they gave me a little three-pronged hook and some green powerbait. I put it on and within an hour had 3 medium-sized spotted trout. I carefully cleaned them by the streams as far from the campsite as possible as there are quite a few bears in the area, then put them over a campfire with a little bit of lemon, salt, and pepper, and lamented that I wouldn't have mountains to come back to and continue on doing this every weekend. Was a great time though, I'm looking to start fishing more at home anyway.

Anyone else in the Central Texas area have places they like to go? I've fished in Canyon Lake for catfish once and caught nothing, also a little bit in parts of the San Marcos River. I also have a small polespear that I've taken out a few times and only gotten some plecos and a buffalo carp, anyone ever do spearfishing in this area?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

cyberbully posted:

Anyone else in the Central Texas area have places they like to go? I've fished in Canyon Lake for catfish once and caught nothing, also a little bit in parts of the San Marcos River. I also have a small polespear that I've taken out a few times and only gotten some plecos and a buffalo carp, anyone ever do spearfishing in this area?

Hey there Texas buddy, I am a more North Texas than Central Texas, but a good resource to find fellow anglers, fishing holes and trips is here at http://texasfishingforum.com this is a website that covers fishing all over Texas. TFF topics from every type of fish species we can catch in Texas, to kayak fishing and even some ocean fishing sections. I have meet a ton of buddies in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, have planned some great trips over the years and learned how to target certain species I was not familiar with when I moved to Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lost a mirrolure top dog lure today :(. The first trilene knot I ever tied lasted about 10 casts. It was also my first time using fluorocarbon, that stuff just does not hold a knot like mono. It's also 30 # test so I'm sure that didn't help set the knot, it ended up unraveling. Google says double uni is the best fluoro knot.

The good news is I learned the blood knot pretty well yesterday, and used it to connect 15# mono to the fluoro. That knot held famously and went through the guides without issue. In fact I was getting really nice casts before the lure knot gave.

tesilential fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 24, 2012